For the record since Hootie likes to throw out my name in discussions like these:
- I don't think Hootie should have been permabanned originally. He deserved a vacation for a week or two, sure, but I was pretty firmly against it being permanent.
- I think the "banned whenever a mod gets pissy because you've been banned before" rule is weird. I tend to take a more "what's best for the community right now" approach without holding past offenses against people, but that's just me. Regardless, that rule has to exist to keep people like chiefs2013 or whoever he is from sticking around when he's been banned 30 times before.
- I think the "mod abuse" rule is also silly. I've taken plenty of bitching around here over the years, and it never bothered me.
- I think in general, the current mod team is much more in favor of bans than me.
- There were plenty of people who felt like the moderating around here was too loose when I was the main one who was active. There were a few issues (the Dane McCloud/R8ers blowup is a good example) where a different moderating style might have made things go quite differently.
- We now have a team of 5 mods who are pretty active, and they are all pretty well-respected by the community. I am just one perspective that Hootie particularly likes, and there are many others who have a different perspective. We have different mods for a reason - to represent a mix of perspectives from the community. There's never been a time when one mod has gone crazy without a general consensus from the other mods.
In general, I wish Phobia and Hootie would both get over this whole thing. I agree with Phobia that Hootie likes to whine like a 10 year old every time he can, and I agree with Hootie that Phobia tends to show up in Hootie's threads largely to gripe. But whatever. Drama and bitching are part of the way this place works.