Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 AM   Topic Starter
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $23929
Obama's waiver for DREAMers would stay put under Romney.

Amnesty! Amnesty!

In all seriousness, a pleasing piece of moderation from what's seemed up to this point to be a hard-right campaign.

It's unlikely Romney wins this election anyway, but I hope this is the start of the GOP slowly untethering itself from its hardest base on immigration issues.

A man can dream, amiright. (No pun intended.)

http://www.denverpost.com/nationalpo...have-temporary

Mitt Romney would allow waivers to children of illegal immigrants
By Allison Sherry
Posted: 10/01/2012 09:44:11 PM MDT

Young illegal immigrants who receive temporary work permits to stay in the United States under an executive order issued by President Barack Obama would not be deported under a Mitt Romney administration, the GOP presidential hopeful told The Denver Post Monday.

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid. I'm not going to take something that they've purchased," Romney said. "Before those visas have expired we will have the full immigration reform plan that I've proposed."

In June, Obama issued an executive order that will allow the so-called "dreamers" — kids who were brought here by their illegal immigrant parents when they were young — a temporary reprieve from deportation if they stay out of trouble and meet certain requirements such as graduating from a U.S. high school.

The Obama administration has sharply criticized Romney's earlier ideas for immigration reform, which have called for all citizens living in the U.S. illegally to self-deport.

Romney said in a sit-down interview with The Post aboard his campaign bus ahead of a Denver rally that he would work with Congress in the first year to pass permanent immigration reform legislation.

He didn't furnish specifics on that plan, but has said in previous interviews that students who served in the military may get a path to citizenship.

"I actually will propose a piece of legislation which will reform our immigration system to improve legal immigration so people don't have to hire lawyers to figure out how to get here legally," Romney said. "The president promised in his first year, his highest priority, that he would reform immigration and he didn't. And I will."

Obama's order mirrors the "DREAM" Act, which has been dead on arrival in every Congress that's tried to pass it. It was blocked by Senate Republicans two years ago.

Romney also was hazy about the future of Colorado's medical marijuana industry, which reaps more than $5 million a year in state sales taxes, saying his administration would enforce federal drug laws, that prohibit marijuana for any use.

"I oppose marijuana being used for recreational purposes and I believe the federal law should prohibit the recreational use of marijuana," he said.

Romney will spend Tuesday holed up preparing for the first presidential debate Wednesday at the University of Denver. He said he was looking forward to sharing a stage with the president to clear up distortions of the last few months.

"I think what's going to happen in this debate is each of us will get the opportunity to describe our pathway forward for America," Romney said. "And for the last several weeks and months, the president has dramatically distorted my own views. I look forward to the debate so people will understand what I actually believe."

Romney said he knew not everyone was going to agree with him after Wednesday's face-off.

"Do they want to continue with the status quo, which has lead to a circumstance where we now have three years where each year the rate of growth in our economy has slowed," he said. "The policies of the past are not working."

After the interview, Romney delivered an economic speech to a crowd of roughly 6,000 at the Wings Over the Rockies air and space museum in Denver's Lowry neighborhood.

The Obama campaign dismissed Romney's speech by arguing his plan would ease taxes on the wealthy and raise taxes for the middle class, a claim Romney disputes.

"The economy is not in recovery," Romney said to a lively crowd packed in an old hanger full of old airplanes. "We're not seeing a real recovery. The president's policies have not worked."

Last edited by Direckshun; 10-02-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Posts: 46,882
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $5000
It would be a pretty shitty thing to do to pull the rug out from under these people who came out of the shadows and admitted their status in return for a promise of a 2 year VISA. As much as this program shouldn't have been started to begin with, the government shouldn't reneg on it's commitment just because Romney takes over at the helm.
__________________


"I'll see you guys in New York." ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to US military personnel upon his release from US custody at Camp Bucca in Iraq during Obama's first year in office.
Posts: 75,744
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $23929
Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
It would be a pretty shitty thing to do to pull the rug out from under these people who came out of the shadows and admitted their status in return for a promise of a 2 year VISA. As much as this program shouldn't have been started to begin with, the government shouldn't reneg on it's commitment just because Romney takes over at the helm.
But designating people who had no say in coming here as children, lived here all their lives and stayed within the law as threats to our law and order = not shitty in the least.
__________________
Posts: 46,882
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
But designating people who had no say in coming here as children, lived here all their lives and stayed within the law as threats to our law and order = not shitty in the least.
That's a call for the legislature to make, not the President.
__________________


"I'll see you guys in New York." ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to US military personnel upon his release from US custody at Camp Bucca in Iraq during Obama's first year in office.
Posts: 75,744
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
mnchiefsguy mnchiefsguy is offline
MVP
 
mnchiefsguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Casino cash: $8316
Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
That's a call for the legislature to make, not the President.
Why bother with that pesky Congress when you can just sign a nice tidy executive order?
__________________
Posts: 6,891
mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $23929
Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
That's a call for the legislature to make, not the President.
My point stands.
__________________
Posts: 46,882
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
mnchiefsguy mnchiefsguy is offline
MVP
 
mnchiefsguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Casino cash: $8316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
My point stands.
So you agree that Obama is circumventing the legislative process?
__________________
Posts: 6,891
mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
chiefzilla1501 chiefzilla1501 is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Casino cash: $16361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
But designating people who had no say in coming here as children, lived here all their lives and stayed within the law as threats to our law and order = not shitty in the least.
They have drained our resources by consuming public resources, including education, that law abiding citizens paid for. So we're to reward them because they behaved? SHouldn't their be some kind of a financial consequence?

And I'm sorry, but why do these guys get to the front of the line? I've gone to school with absolutely brilliant out-of-towners. They followed all the rules and got booted from the country because they couldn't find an employer willing to offer a visa.

I'm not naive, so I know some form of amnesty is necessary. But sorry, a free pass for good behavior is not it.
Posts: 21,546
chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.chiefzilla1501 threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
BigRedChief BigRedChief is offline
Brainwashed
 
BigRedChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Swims with fishes
Casino cash: $19064
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
As much as this program shouldn't have been started to begin with, the government shouldn't reneg on it's commitment just because Romney takes over at the helm.
So I'm assuming your on board with Obamacare now. I do like your principles stands.
__________________
If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu
Posts: 44,926
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
So I'm assuming your on board with Obamacare now. I do like your principles stands.
No, as usual you don't understand. The problem with reneging on Obama's VISAs is that these people who are illegal exposed themselves for potential deportation in order to get them. and there's no reason to continue granting VISAs. None of that is similar to the case of Obamacare.
__________________


"I'll see you guys in New York." ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to US military personnel upon his release from US custody at Camp Bucca in Iraq during Obama's first year in office.
Posts: 75,744
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
BigRedChief BigRedChief is offline
Brainwashed
 
BigRedChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Swims with fishes
Casino cash: $19064
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
No, as usual you don't understand. The problem with reneging on Obama's VISAs is that these people who are illegal exposed themselves for potential deportation in order to get them. and there's no reason to continue granting VISAs. None of that is similar to the case of Obamacare.
So the got exposed to possible jail time, get out of jail free card.

You got cancer, have no insurance and need treatment. **** off and die?
__________________
If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu
Posts: 44,926
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
Saul Good Saul Good is offline
We Ready
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $16947
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
So the got exposed to possible jail time, get out of jail free card.

You got cancer, have no insurance and need treatment. **** off and die?
You're really bad at this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Colon is 0.7 WAR or 5M in value. He makes 500k. Getting pretty close, and since he's producing war each of the next 4 years of club control, he's fair value for Upton straight up. More than fair actually.
Posts: 32,290
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
So the got exposed to possible jail time, get out of jail free card.

You got cancer, have no insurance and need treatment. **** off and die?
What are you talking about? Are you under the impression that Obamacare was the beginning of the era of medicine?
__________________


"I'll see you guys in New York." ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to US military personnel upon his release from US custody at Camp Bucca in Iraq during Obama's first year in office.
Posts: 75,744
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
mnchiefsguy mnchiefsguy is offline
MVP
 
mnchiefsguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Casino cash: $8316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Amnesty! Amnesty!

In all seriousness, a pleasing piece of moderation from what's seemed up to this point to be a hard-right campaign.

It's unlikely Romney wins this election anyway, but I hope this is the start of the GOP slowly untethering itself from its hardest base on immigration issues.

A man can dream, amiright. (No pun intended.)

http://www.denverpost.com/nationalpo...have-temporary

Mitt Romney would allow waivers to children of illegal immigrants
By Allison Sherry
Posted: 10/01/2012 09:44:11 PM MDT

Young illegal immigrants who receive temporary work permits to stay in the United States under an executive order issued by President Barack Obama would not be deported under a Mitt Romney administration, the GOP presidential hopeful told The Denver Post Monday.

"The people who have received the special visa that the president has put in place, which is a two-year visa, should expect that the visa would continue to be valid. I'm not going to take something that they've purchased," Romney said. "Before those visas have expired we will have the full immigration reform plan that I've proposed."

In June, Obama issued an executive order that will allow the so-called "dreamers" kids who were brought here by their illegal immigrant parents when they were young a temporary reprieve from deportation if they stay out of trouble and meet certain requirements such as graduating from a U.S. high school.

The Obama administration has sharply criticized Romney's earlier ideas for immigration reform, which have called for all citizens living in the U.S. illegally to self-deport.

Romney said in a sit-down interview with The Post aboard his campaign bus ahead of a Denver rally that he would work with Congress in the first year to pass permanent immigration reform legislation.

He didn't furnish specifics on that plan, but has said in previous interviews that students who served in the military may get a path to citizenship.

"I actually will propose a piece of legislation which will reform our immigration system to improve legal immigration so people don't have to hire lawyers to figure out how to get here legally," Romney said. "The president promised in his first year, his highest priority, that he would reform immigration and he didn't. And I will."

Obama's order mirrors the "DREAM" Act, which has been dead on arrival in every Congress that's tried to pass it. It was blocked by Senate Republicans two years ago.

Romney also was hazy about the future of Colorado's medical marijuana industry, which reaps more than $5 million a year in state sales taxes, saying his administration would enforce federal drug laws, that prohibit marijuana for any use.

"I oppose marijuana being used for recreational purposes and I believe the federal law should prohibit the recreational use of marijuana," he said.

Romney will spend Tuesday holed up preparing for the first presidential debate Wednesday at the University of Denver. He said he was looking forward to sharing a stage with the president to clear up distortions of the last few months.

"I think what's going to happen in this debate is each of us will get the opportunity to describe our pathway forward for America," Romney said. "And for the last several weeks and months, the president has dramatically distorted my own views. I look forward to the debate so people will understand what I actually believe."

Romney said he knew not everyone was going to agree with him after Wednesday's face-off.

"Do they want to continue with the status quo, which has lead to a circumstance where we now have three years where each year the rate of growth in our economy has slowed," he said. "The policies of the past are not working."

After the interview, Romney delivered an economic speech to a crowd of roughly 6,000 at the Wings Over the Rockies air and space museum in Denver's Lowry neighborhood.

The Obama campaign dismissed Romney's speech by arguing his plan would ease taxes on the wealthy and raise taxes for the middle class, a claim Romney disputes.

"The economy is not in recovery," Romney said to a lively crowd packed in an old hanger full of old airplanes. "We're not seeing a real recovery. The president's policies have not worked."
If someone is living in the US as an illegal alien, they are not a citizen.

Also, misleading thread title. Just because Romney is going to honor the commitment Obama made and not terminate the visas early does not mean his administration is going to continue to issue new ones once he assumes office.
__________________
Posts: 6,891
mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy View Post
If someone is living in the US as an illegal alien, they are not a citizen.

Also, misleading thread title. Just because Romney is going to honor the commitment Obama made and not terminate the visas early does not mean his administration is going to continue to issue new ones once he assumes office.
Right, and I would hope that he wouldn't.
__________________


"I'll see you guys in New York." ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to US military personnel upon his release from US custody at Camp Bucca in Iraq during Obama's first year in office.
Posts: 75,744
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.