Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM  
dirk digler dirk digler is offline
Please squeeze
 
dirk digler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clinton, MO
Casino cash: $6315
New Apple Tablet

Cool stuff. On Engadget live right now

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...est&refresh=30

Posts: 48,496
dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #511
Saulbadguy Saulbadguy is offline
When a nightmare becomes real
 
Saulbadguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Casino cash: $5744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
WE won't know until Thursday afternoon but everything is pointing to multitasking being a reality with 4.0. well, at least for the apps that Apples says you can use multitasking with.
Agreed.
Posts: 46,043
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #512
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
great, how many YEARS after other phones already did though?
Who cares? I already acknowledged that it wasn't the best phone ever. It's just the most popular.

Quote:
IF OS4.0 does allow multitasking.. they still haven't solved the reason they disallowed it in the first place.. underpowered hardware...
Well, it has been confirmed. The reason it wasn't allowed on the older models was due to hardware, but on the later models it was because of battery life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 17,305
Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #513
Saulbadguy Saulbadguy is offline
When a nightmare becomes real
 
Saulbadguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Casino cash: $5744
Multitasking, app folders, game center. I'll take it, I guess.
Posts: 46,043
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #514
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
great, how many YEARS after other phones already did though?

WebOS(PalmPre) is almost a year old now.. Android? etc etc

IF OS4.0 does allow multitasking.. they still haven't solved the reason they disallowed it in the first place.. underpowered hardware...
Actually, iPhone OS had multitasking. It always has supported it.

Also, you should note that both WebOS and Android sucked battery life with multitasking. Android was better at conserving, to be sure. WebOS and Palm Pre had massive battery life issues at launch.

4.0 does allow multitasking as people have pointed out. So, looks like I'm int he market for a new phone or touch to replace my 1G touch.



I may go back and address some claims earlier, time permitting.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #515
JD10367 JD10367 is offline
Snowciopath
 
JD10367's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Casino cash: $5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
4.0 does allow multitasking as people have pointed out. So, looks like I'm int he market for a new phone or touch to replace my 1G touch.
Not sure what the big multitasking issue is anyway, enough that I'd replace my Touch just to have it. I've never needed to have my iPod Touch multitask. It "remembers" what you were last doing when you had the thing on and/or were viewing a certain app anyway. If I open Safari and the last thing I was looking at was this website, it brings me right back. If I was playing Toobz, it resumes my game.

If you have Safari running, you can have multiple pages open. That's good enough for what I'm usually up to.
Posts: 11,321
JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.JD10367 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #516
Otter Otter is offline
holding a blood clot at birth
 
Otter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Durango, CO
Casino cash: $5983
.
__________________
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson, 1801.
Posts: 13,097
Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Otter has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #517
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $6188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD10367 View Post
Not sure what the big multitasking issue is anyway, enough that I'd replace my Touch just to have it. I've never needed to have my iPod Touch multitask. It "remembers" what you were last doing when you had the thing on and/or were viewing a certain app anyway. If I open Safari and the last thing I was looking at was this website, it brings me right back. If I was playing Toobz, it resumes my game.

If you have Safari running, you can have multiple pages open. That's good enough for what I'm usually up to.
I don't think it's a big deal for phone/PDA/handheld devices. It'd bug me on a tablet though.
Posts: 28,049
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #518
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD10367 View Post
Not sure what the big multitasking issue is anyway, enough that I'd replace my Touch just to have it. I've never needed to have my iPod Touch multitask. It "remembers" what you were last doing when you had the thing on and/or were viewing a certain app anyway. If I open Safari and the last thing I was looking at was this website, it brings me right back. If I was playing Toobz, it resumes my game.

If you have Safari running, you can have multiple pages open. That's good enough for what I'm usually up to.
Me neither. Multitasking isn't what is prompting me to upgrade. What's prompting me is that this is the first OS update that discards or doesn't support old hardware. I'm at a 1G iPod touch. That's the real reason.

That and I'm in the market for a new phone anyway.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #519
Shag Shag is offline
Factory of Sadness
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Casino cash: $5467
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
Me neither. Multitasking isn't what is prompting me to upgrade. What's prompting me is that this is the first OS update that discards or doesn't support old hardware. I'm at a 1G iPod touch. That's the real reason.

That and I'm in the market for a new phone anyway.
Are you upgrading to the 3GS? I'm sure you're aware, but just in case you're not, rumors are that there will be a new iPhone released this summer. According to Jobs, the next iPhone will be an "A+ upgrade". Hopefully, a major improvement over the 3GS - apple needs to up the ante with the emergence of Android, and needs something that will compete with the EVO technically...
Posts: 3,916
Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #520
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post
Are you upgrading to the 3GS? I'm sure you're aware, but just in case you're not, rumors are that there will be a new iPhone released this summer. According to Jobs, the next iPhone will be an "A+ upgrade". Hopefully, a major improvement over the 3GS - apple needs to up the ante with the emergence of Android, and needs something that will compete with the EVO technically...


I follow Apple so I know their release cycles.

I'm not sure the next gen will compete with EVO solely on the fact it will lack an HDMI port.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #521
Guru Guru is offline
Win a playoff game will ya!!!!
 
Guru's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Middle of the USA
Casino cash: $6510
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post


I follow Apple so I know their release cycles.

I'm not sure the next gen will compete with EVO solely on the fact it will lack an HDMI port.
Are there any new iterations of the Touch coming. You know, camera.
__________________
Same as it ever was.
Posts: 53,226
Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #522
Shag Shag is offline
Factory of Sadness
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Casino cash: $5467
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post


I follow Apple so I know their release cycles.

I'm not sure the next gen will compete with EVO solely on the fact it will lack an HDMI port.
I figured you knew, but wanted to be sure.

Lack of an HDMI port really wouldn't bother me, but how do you know it won't have it? I'd be surprised if it did, but you sound like you have concrete info...
Posts: 3,916
Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #523
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $6747
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post


I follow Apple so I know their release cycles.

I'm not sure the next gen will compete with EVO solely on the fact it will lack an HDMI port.
Lack of 4G also makes a pretty big difference. I also seriously doubt it will have a processor as powerful as the snapdragon...(unless they use the same a4 that is in the iPad which is in the same class as snap, maybe even marginally better right now)

My only concern with the EVO is that Qualcomm is about to release a slew of new processors that are going to kick ass... but they won't be out until end of 2010.
Posts: 14,703
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Shag
This message has been deleted by Shag.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #524
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
Are there any new iterations of the Touch coming. You know, camera.
The reason the nano got the camera was because of two things. One, it was a shot at the Flip. Two, it is one of the better selling iPods other than Touch which they need to keep afloat or else the market will saturate.

Now, I think you'll see a camera addition on the next Touch but I'm just educatingly guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post
I figured you knew, but wanted to be sure.

Lack of an HDMI port really wouldn't bother me, but how do you know it won't have it? I'd be surprised if it did, but you sound like you have concrete info...
Actually, it wouldn't bother me either. I know it won't have it because of two things. 1) it goes against Apple's design process which is minimalism. Unless they switch their standard cord to an HDMI cord and it charges with it (which would be cool) it won't happen. 2) They like to pimp accessories. They're as bad as Sony about it. It will be an accessory, I bet.

That's a more solid educated guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Lack of 4G also makes a pretty big difference. I also seriously doubt it will have a processor as powerful as the snapdragon...(unless they use the same a4 that is in the iPad which is in the same class as snap, maybe even marginally better right now)
This is one of the comments I meant to address before the thread took off while I didn't have time to follow it. I don't see your logic there. I am well aware 4G makes speed faster. The problem isn't speed it's availableness. The fact is 4G simply isn't available. It's the same reason fiber optics hasn't made a breakthrough or gone mainstream. Companies not investing in infrastructure much. ATT takes in billions, can't handle traffic, gives you a box to make your house a signal booster and charges you for it, and they have millions of more customers thanks to ONE phone; yet they spend almost zero on infrastructure making their network 4G or even available everywhere.

4G is barely available places. That's the reason I wouldn't be too concerned yet. It's much like, ironically, your argument against HTML5 becoming mainstream. Here is the same deal, yet you're making it a lynch pin in your choices.

Quote:
My only concern with the EVO is that Qualcomm is about to release a slew of new processors that are going to kick ass... but they won't be out until end of 2010.
That's a concern, to be sure, but it will ALWAYS be a concern. On the flip side, Apple's new iPhone will likely have their processor. A similar one to that which powers the iPad and is a beast.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #525
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $6747
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
This is one of the comments I meant to address before the thread took off while I didn't have time to follow it. I don't see your logic there. I am well aware 4G makes speed faster. The problem isn't speed it's availableness. The fact is 4G simply isn't available. It's the same reason fiber optics hasn't made a breakthrough or gone mainstream. Companies not investing in infrastructure much. ATT takes in billions, can't handle traffic, gives you a box to make your house a signal booster and charges you for it, and they have millions of more customers thanks to ONE phone; yet they spend almost zero on infrastructure making their network 4G or even available everywhere.

4G is barely available places. That's the reason I wouldn't be too concerned yet. It's much like, ironically, your argument against HTML5 becoming mainstream. Here is the same deal, yet you're making it a lynch pin in your choices.
4G has been out here in Austin for months now, same with San Antonio, DFW and Houston (the only other places I go to often besides KC) and KC will have it in the next few months.

I have tested the 4G speeds and availability here and they are amazing.

So, 4G DOES make a difference... especially for me.
Posts: 14,703
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.