Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 AM  
NewChief NewChief is offline
Greenbacker and Loving Liberal
 
NewChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Casino cash: $172893
50 Beers to Try Before You Die

Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 04-01-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Posts: 19,005
NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #106
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Best in the World
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Better Than You
Casino cash: $990778
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
Ommegang's Hennepin was delicious and makes sense on the list but not in the top 6.
Hennepin is pretty meh to me. Well, no, its better than that. But I never buy it; there are plenty of other saisons that I greatly prefer.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,279
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #107
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
Nope. The buzz just pisses me off, usually, because it means that I need to stop drinking soon. I hate the effects of alcohol because 1.) my dad was a physically abusive alcoholic and 2.) because I simply don't like not being in full control of my mental capacities.
Sorry to hear about #1 and completely agree about #2, though that usually happens to me when I'm drunk rather than buzzed.

That said, it is an astute observation that one should stop drinking when a buzz occurs.

Also, I'm curious if you rate Stouts below Imperial Stouts or just don't like such a broad category as one of your favorite styles.

Other than Tank 7 (which I love) what other Farmhouse Ales do you recommend/would be popular?
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #108
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
Hennepin is pretty meh to me. Well, no, its better than that. But I never buy it; there are plenty of other saisons that I greatly prefer.
Weird, because I absolutely hated Boulevard's Saison. I much prefer the replacement, Tank 7.

Now, having said this about the Hennepin, I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to drink it like I would, say, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Boulevard's Imperial Stout, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Seeyoulator or a bunch of seasonals from various breweries.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #109
KC native KC native is online now
a toda madre o un desmadre
 
KC native's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Casino cash: $1069281
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
Sorry to hear about #1 and completely agree about #2, though that usually happens to me when I'm drunk rather than buzzed.

That said, it is an astute observation that one should stop drinking when a buzz occurs.

Also, I'm curious if you rate Stouts below Imperial Stouts or just don't like such a broad category as one of your favorite styles.

Other than Tank 7 (which I love) what other Farmhouse Ales do you recommend/would be popular?
I love Tank 7. Only can grab it when I'm up in KC though as I haven't seen it down here in Texas yet.
__________________
The diameter of your knowledge is the circumference of your actions. Ras Kass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I'm just a little pussy from Iowa
Posts: 16,754
KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.KC native Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #110
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Best in the World
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Better Than You
Casino cash: $990778
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
Sorry to hear about #1 and completely agree about #2, though that usually happens to me when I'm drunk rather than buzzed.

That said, it is an astute observation that one should stop drinking when a buzz occurs.

Also, I'm curious if you rate Stouts below Imperial Stouts or just don't like such a broad category as one of your favorite styles.

Other than Tank 7 (which I love) what other Farmhouse Ales do you recommend/would be popular?
Imperial Stouts are usually more complex with a more satisfying mouthfeel. But there are some of regular stouts that I love (Sierra Nevada Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout come to mind).

Saisons that you should drink posthaste, available in KC: BLVD Saison-Brett, Saison Dupont, Dupont Floret Organic Saison, Goose Island Sofie, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere. Outside KC: The Bruery Saison de Lente, The Bruery Saison Rue, Pretty Things Jack d'Or, any beer from Fantome.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,279
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #111
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
Imperial Stouts are usually more complex with a more satisfying mouthfeel. But there are some of regular stouts that I love (Sierra Nevada Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout come to mind).
Yeah, Rogue's was pretty good and I haven't tried Sierra Nevada's yet. So is Imperial Stout a style to you or a subset of Stouts in general? I just thought it curious you listed your favorite style with Imperial Stout rather than stout being that I thought Imperials were a subset. Which isn't that weird, I guess. Yeah, I'm rambling.

Quote:
Saisons that you should drink posthaste, available in KC: BLVD Saison-Brett, Saison Dupont, Dupont Floret Organic Saison, Goose Island Sofie, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere. Outside KC: The Bruery Saison de Lente, The Bruery Saison Rue, Pretty Things Jack d'Or, any beer from Fantome.
Noted.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #112
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Best in the World
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Better Than You
Casino cash: $990778
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
Yeah, Rogue's was pretty good and I haven't tried Sierra Nevada's yet. So is Imperial Stout a style to you or a subset of Stouts in general? I just thought it curious you listed your favorite style with Imperial Stout rather than stout being that I thought Imperials were a subset. Which isn't that weird, I guess. Yeah, I'm rambling.
Imperial Stout is definitely a style (and some people break it down further. On BeerAdvocate.com they distinguish between Russian Imperial Stout and American Double/Imperial Stout). Just like India Pale and Double/Imperial India Pale Ale are distinct styles and not just simply pale ales.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,279
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #113
Shag Shag is offline
Factory of Sadness
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Casino cash: $75042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
Imperial Stouts are usually more complex with a more satisfying mouthfeel. But there are some of regular stouts that I love (Sierra Nevada Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout come to mind).

Saisons that you should drink posthaste, available in KC: BLVD Saison-Brett, Saison Dupont, Dupont Floret Organic Saison, Goose Island Sofie, Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere. Outside KC: The Bruery Saison de Lente, The Bruery Saison Rue, Pretty Things Jack d'Or, any beer from Fantome.
I haven't had a ton of Saisons, but I really enjoyed the St. Feuillien Saison...
Posts: 3,912
Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #114
Shag Shag is offline
Factory of Sadness
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Casino cash: $75042
Local beer store was offering a 20% off sale, so went and bought a few things:

- Deschutes Jubel 2010
- Deschutes Black Butte
- Goose Island Night Stalker
- Unibroue Maudite
- New Belgium Eric's Ale
- 21st Century Monk's Blood

Pretty good take, IMHO. I was told to try the last two by a friend, so figured I'd buy them at a discount, lol...
Posts: 3,912
Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #115
kregger kregger is offline
thick as a brick
 
kregger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: alpha centauri
Casino cash: $1058559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
(Sierra Nevada Stout, Rogue Shakespeare Stout come to mind).
Saisons that you should drink posthaste, available in KC: BLVD Saison-Brett, Saison Dupont, Dupont Floret Organic Saison, .
Nice Stouts. I absolutely love the Shakespeare. Harviestoun Old Engine Oil is the bomb. Bell's Expedition holds up very well.
Just recently quaffed a Saison Dupont at the Foundry and was impressed. I'm not a huge Saison fan but the Saison-Brett is special. I like the farmhouse ales such as the Tank 7.
Surprised there isn't any Bell's on the list. My heroin could easily be the Hopslam.
The list obviously ignored the Upper Midwest. New Glarus has several that should be considered. I recently had a buddy from Wisconsin send me a few Sprechers. The Scotch Ale was lovely.
Damn, now I'm thirsty and all I have is Moose Drool.
Great thread BTW.
Posts: 964
kregger is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.kregger is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.kregger is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.kregger is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #116
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by kregger View Post
Nice Stouts. I absolutely love the Shakespeare. Harviestoun Old Engine Oil is the bomb. Bell's Expedition holds up very well.
Just recently quaffed a Saison Dupont at the Foundry and was impressed. I'm not a huge Saison fan but the Saison-Brett is special. I like the farmhouse ales such as the Tank 7.
Surprised there isn't any Bell's on the list. My heroin could easily be the Hopslam.
The list obviously ignored the Upper Midwest. New Glarus has several that should be considered. I recently had a buddy from Wisconsin send me a few Sprechers. The Scotch Ale was lovely.
Damn, now I'm thirsty and all I have is Moose Drool.
Great thread BTW.
I agree, but just to clarify Old Engine Oil is not a stout.


Also, Reaper, I'm equally surprised you group Saisons and Farmhouse Ale's together whilst separating the stouts.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #117
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shag View Post
Local beer store was offering a 20% off sale, so went and bought a few things:

- Deschutes Jubel 2010
- Deschutes Black Butte
- Goose Island Night Stalker
- Unibroue Maudite
- New Belgium Eric's Ale
- 21st Century Monk's Blood

Pretty good take, IMHO. I was told to try the last two by a friend, so figured I'd buy them at a discount, lol...
That is an awesome name for a beer. I need to get some.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #118
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Best in the World
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Better Than You
Casino cash: $990778
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
I agree, but just to clarify Old Engine Oil is not a stout.


Also, Reaper, I'm equally surprised you group Saisons and Farmhouse Ale's together whilst separating the stouts.
They're grouped together because they're the same style. Technically the style is called "Saison/Farmhouse Ale." If I wanted to go very specific, then I could tell you that there are two different styles of beer that qualify as farmhouse ale - Saison, from Belgium, and Biere de Garde, a more malty farmhouse ale style from France.

And while I'm at it, the distinct stout beer styles as recognized by the BCJP are as follows: American Stout, American Double/Imperial Stout, Foreign/Export Stout, Irish Dry Stout, Milk/Sweet Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Russian Imperial Stout
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Reaper16; 04-29-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Posts: 32,279
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #119
Shag Shag is offline
Factory of Sadness
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Casino cash: $75042
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
That is an awesome name for a beer. I need to get some.
It's also an awesome beer...
Posts: 3,912
Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Shag must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #120
Miles Miles is offline
MVP
 
Miles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Casino cash: $4223
Finally getting around to trying some Boulevard Tank 7 tonight. I have had several of the Smokestack Series and for the most part loved them. Tank 7 is great stuff and I enjoyed it as much as their tripel and quad.

The guy at the beer store was also raving about Lost Abbey Red Barn but the Tank 7 was on sale for $7 so I went with it. Probably try the Lost Abbey next.
Posts: 12,238
Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Miles must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.