Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM  
dirk digler dirk digler is offline
Please squeeze
 
dirk digler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clinton, MO
Casino cash: $12170
New Apple Tablet

Cool stuff. On Engadget live right now

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...est&refresh=30

Posts: 49,074
dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.dirk digler has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #916
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $11011
Xoom launching without Flash. Hmm, I wonder why.
Posts: 17,612
Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #917
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $12364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Xoom launching without Flash. Hmm, I wonder why.
because Motorola is pushing the Xoom out the door before Honeycomb is ready for primetime...

Flash 10.1 works AMAZINGLY well on devices like the EVO running Froyo or Gingerbread...

Google and Adobe are doing the right thing and compiling Flash 10.2 for honeycomb... it will likely be ready in a month or two.

This has NOTHING to do with your hard on for bashing Flash.. it has to do with the fact that since 10.2 is almost ready.. why waste time even making a 10.1 version for Honeycomb...
Posts: 15,287
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #918
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $11456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Xoom launching without Flash. Hmm, I wonder why.
__________________
Posts: 26,246
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #919
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $11011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
because Motorola is pushing the Xoom out the door before Honeycomb is ready for primetime...

Flash 10.1 works AMAZINGLY well on devices like the EVO running Froyo or Gingerbread...

Google and Adobe are doing the right thing and compiling Flash 10.2 for honeycomb... it will likely be ready in a month or two.

This has NOTHING to do with your hard on for bashing Flash.. it has to do with the fact that since 10.2 is almost ready.. why waste time even making a 10.1 version for Honeycomb...
So what?

Apple has said all along the reason that they don't support Flash is because the performance on their machines and devices SUCKS. And that's true. And it's exactly why it won't be included in the launch of the Xoom. They could use a version that isn't specifically tailored to the Tegra 2, but they won't, because it would be jittery and suck up battery life. That's exactly why it isn't included on Apple devices. When Flash can make a stable product on an Apple platform, Apple will include it.

The whole thing just reeks of irony. Remember when people were hating on the iPhone because it didn't have Copy/Paste or SMS messaging at one point? Didn't stop them from saying that the device sucked, even though it got the features and implemented them just fine later on.

So, you'll pardon me if I take the time to find the hypocrisy hilarious.
Posts: 17,612
Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #920
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $12364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
So what?

Apple has said all along the reason that they don't support Flash is because the performance on their machines and devices SUCKS. And that's true. And it's exactly why it won't be included in the launch of the Xoom. They could use a version that isn't specifically tailored to the Tegra 2, but they won't, because it would be jittery and suck up battery life. That's exactly why it isn't included on Apple devices. When Flash can make a stable product on an Apple platform, Apple will include it.

The whole thing just reeks of irony. Remember when people were hating on the iPhone because it didn't have Copy/Paste or SMS messaging at one point? Didn't stop them from saying that the device sucked, even though it got the features and implemented them just fine later on.

So, you'll pardon me if I take the time to find the hypocrisy hilarious.
Dude, did you not read my post? There is NO VERSION OF FLASH FOR HONEYCOMB.. end of story. Instead of compiling Flash 10.1 for Honeycomb, Adobe decided to concentrate on 10.2 which is due out shortly anyway.

And your argument on Flash performance is dead on... if you are living in 2009. It simply isn't the case right now. I haven't seen any issues on my EVO. Have you seen how well Flash works on the Android 2.2 tablets? The FACT that you won't own up to is that Adobe fixed a number of the issues you are whining about. I am not a fan of Adobe by any measure, but the did a great job with Flash 10.1

All of that being said, I don't care for the Xoom. I'm not a fan of Motorola in general. #1 they are releasing it about a month too soon #2 they have it overpriced

I fully expect the new crop of Honeycomb tablets that will be released in April/May/June to make the Xoom obsolete in a hurry.

Last edited by AustinChief; 02-22-2011 at 11:24 AM..
Posts: 15,287
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #921
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $12364
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...st-tablets.ars

Quote:
The implication is that Xoom purchasers won't get Flash right out of the box, but probably won't have to wait long to get the feature. Given that the Xoom starts shipping this week, Adobe's timeline of "a few weeks" could mean that Flash will become available for the Xoom as early as the end of March.

Adobe first brought the full version of the Flash player to the Android platform last year with the release of Flash 10.1 for Android 2.2. Our tests on the Nexus One demonstrated the viability of Flash on handheld devices, challenging Apple's rejection of the plug-in on its own iOS platform. Native support for Flash could potentially be a competitive advantage for Android-based tablets that hope to compete with Apple's iPad.

Adobe says that over 50 different tablet models from various vendors will ship with Flash in 2011. The company predicts that over 132 million devices will have the Flash player installed by the end of 2011.
Posts: 15,287
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #922
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $11011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Dude, did you not read my post? There is NO VERSION OF FLASH FOR HONEYCOMB.. end of story. Instead of compiling Flash 10.1 for Honeycomb, Adobe decided to concentrate on 10.2 which is due out shortly anyway.
People are already installing Flash on the Xoom. Surely Motorola could make it work if they wanted to. However, they didn't do so because they wanted it to be good. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the same reason Apple doesn't want a poor implementation of Flash on their products.

Quote:
And your argument on Flash performance is dead on... if you are living in 2009. It simply isn't the case right now. I haven't seen any issues on my EVO. Have you seen how well Flash works on the Android 2.2 tablets? The FACT that you won't own up to is that Adobe fixed a number of the issues you are whining about. I am not a fan of Adobe by any measure, but the did a great job with Flash 10.1
I'm not "whining about Flash." I'm just saying that there are legitimate reasons that Apple, and now other manufacturers, don't include it on their products. Like I said, if Adobe ever made a good version of Flash for Apple products, it would likely be included. That hasn't happened yet.
Posts: 17,612
Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #923
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $12364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
People are already installing Flash on the Xoom. Surely Motorola could make it work if they wanted to. However, they didn't do so because they wanted it to be good. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the same reason Apple doesn't want a poor implementation of Flash on their products.



I'm not "whining about Flash." I'm just saying that there are legitimate reasons that Apple, and now other manufacturers, don't include it on their products. Like I said, if Adobe ever made a good version of Flash for Apple products, it would likely be included. That hasn't happened yet.
Wrong and wrong...

Yes, Motorola could hack an install for 10.1 but WHY waste the time when 10.2 is due out in less than a month? It isn't about performance, its about wasted resources on a product that will be out of date in a few weeks. Their mistake is launching the whole thing too early...

Apple may have had a legitimate beef a few years ago... but right now they are just being bitches because Jobs has an agenda for HIS version of the web... even though his version of the web is still years away... how's that HTML5 prediction coming? Seems that things have changed VERY LITTLE since we had this argument almost a year ago...

Fact is, Adobe has offered to develop 10.1 (soon 10.2) for Apple and Apple won't even LOOK at it.. this is well documented.
Posts: 15,287
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #924
kaplin42 kaplin42 is offline
Thats Right, Sniff the Glue!!!
 
kaplin42's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: tubbytronic superdome
Casino cash: $6502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
People are already installing Flash on the Xoom. Surely Motorola could make it work if they wanted to. However, they didn't do so because they wanted it to be good. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the same reason Apple doesn't want a poor implementation of Flash on their products.



I'm not "whining about Flash." I'm just saying that there are legitimate reasons that Apple, and now other manufacturers, don't include it on their products. Like I said, if Adobe ever made a good version of Flash for Apple products, it would likely be included. That hasn't happened yet.
Watching you miss the point of what AC is trying, and patiently trying at that, to explain to you is like watching a train wreck in progress. You really want to help, or at least look away, and yet all you can do is stand there dumb founded at what you are seeing.


And to top it off, you have done it this entire thread. At least you're consistant.
Posts: 3,431
kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.kaplin42 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #925
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $11011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Wrong and wrong...
Uh, what is wrong? People are installing Flash on their Xooms already. That's a fact. Yes, Motorola did launch too early, but the Xoom has been in development for longer than 10.1 has even been out. They had PLENTY of time to include some version of it, but they wanted to wait for one that wouldn't suck so that people wouldn't return the thing needlessly.

Quote:
Apple may have had a legitimate beef a few years ago... but right now they are just being bitches because Jobs has an agenda for HIS version of the web... even though his version of the web is still years away... how's that HTML5 prediction coming? Seems that things have changed VERY LITTLE since we had this argument almost a year ago...
Really? Looks like most of the top traffic sites have zero problem offering iOS compatible versions of their sites. I can go to just about any site I want and view it just fine on the iPad. Prediction is working out fine.

Quote:
Fact is, Adobe has offered to develop 10.1 (soon 10.2) for Apple and Apple won't even LOOK at it.. this is well documented.
Look, I hope Apple allows 10.2 at some point. It looks like it's really good. I don't have ANYTHING against Flash or Adobe. I do want my shit to work like it's supposed to, though. I still have issues with Flash on my desktop (Win 7). I mainly use my iPad at school, and I really need it to have as long a battery life as it can. That wouldn't happen with Flash *right now*. I think it would be okay in the future with 10.2, though. Hopefully, I'll get to find out, because it looks like 10.2 is pretty dope.

You think I'm married to Apple and iOS or something, when that isn't the case at all. I'm looking for a new phone, and if the iPhone 5 isn't much of an upgrade, I'm staying with Sprint and getting an Android phone. I don't even use my Mac any longer. It's just a multimedia server at this point. Everything I do on an actual computer is done on my home built Win 7 machine. I'm far from a fanboy. I'm just not rabidly anti-Apple.

Last edited by Silock; 02-23-2011 at 02:06 AM..
Posts: 17,612
Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #926
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $11011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplin42 View Post
Watching you miss the point of what AC is trying, and patiently trying at that, to explain to you is like watching a train wreck in progress. You really want to help, or at least look away, and yet all you can do is stand there dumb founded at what you are seeing.


And to top it off, you have done it this entire thread. At least you're consistant.
Any time you want to offer something constructive, go ahead.
Posts: 17,612
Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #927
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $12364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Uh, what is wrong? People are installing Flash on their Xooms already. That's a fact. Yes, Motorola did launch too early, but the Xoom has been in development for longer than 10.1 has even been out. They had PLENTY of time to include some version of it, but they wanted to wait for one that wouldn't suck so that people wouldn't return the thing needlessly.
Dude, you are pretty far off on your facts here... #1 who are these people installing Flash on their Xooms that are not even out on the market yet??? Yes, there are hacked 10.1 files that POTENTIALLY will work on a Xoom or other Tegra based tablet but no one (outside of Motorola) has installed Flash 10.1 on a Xoom. PERIOD. So, NO IT IS NOT A FACT. It is in fact the opposite of a fact.

Now, you CLAIM that Flash 10.1 doesn't perform well on the Xoom... kinda hard to make that claim with ZERO, yes ZERO benchmarks done with it. They didn't bother with it because it was a dead-end... end of story. You're seriously just making shit up at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Really? Looks like most of the top traffic sites have zero problem offering iOS compatible versions of their sites. I can go to just about any site I want and view it just fine on the iPad. Prediction is working out fine.
Seriously? #1 that wasn't the argument.. the argument was related to HTML5 adoption.. which is nowhere near the levels you were predicting... as a matter of fact it has barely gained any more adoption then it had at this time last summer. #2 Google can and likely will pull the plug on h.264 whenever it suits them... making Jobs' version of HTML5 video obsolete before it even gets going. #3 CURRENT figures regarding Flash "Adobe Flash content is present on more than 85 percent of the top 100 websites and about 75 percent of all web-based videos use Flash." so, yes .. SOME sites offer stripped down versions for iOS but the FULL web experience requires FLASH on many many sites. You seem to forget that Flash is not just about VIDEO, but many many other applications... I do think it will be less and less prevalent as time goes on... but we are FAR from there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
Look, I hope Apple allows 10.2 at some point. It looks like it's really good. I don't have ANYTHING against Flash or Adobe. I do want my shit to work like it's supposed to, though. I still have issues with Flash on my desktop (Win 7). I mainly use my iPad at school, and I really need it to have as long a battery life as it can. That wouldn't happen with Flash *right now*. I think it would be okay in the future with 10.2, though. Hopefully, I'll get to find out, because it looks like 10.2 is pretty dope.

You think I'm married to Apple and iOS or something, when that isn't the case at all. I'm looking for a new phone, and if the iPhone 5 isn't much of an upgrade, I'm staying with Sprint and getting an Android phone. I don't even use my Mac any longer. It's just a multimedia server at this point. Everything I do on an actual computer is done on my home built Win 7 machine. I'm far from a fanboy. I'm just not rabidly anti-Apple.
I think I see the failure we having in communication... You have NO CLUE about Flash 10.1 and have a mental shift of 1 version... If I take EVERYTHING you have said and replace Flash 10.1 with 9 and Flash 10.2 with 10.1... you'd actually be right.

Flash 10.1 is a massive improvement with huge strides in hardware acceleration... ALL of which Adobe offered to work with Apple on and Apple flat out REFUSED.

You are also wrong about battery life... Flash 10.1 draws much much much less power than previous versions.. yes it draws more power than if your tablet or pc was OFF... or on a static html page... but come on.. you will need to use some battery to ACTUALLY DO THINGS.

If you are seeing problems with Flash and you have the current version... the likely culprit is the Flash app itself... don't blame the platform for that.
Posts: 15,287
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #928
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $12364
Oh, and the funny thing here is.. I hate Flash and refuse to develop with it if at all possible. Everything I develop is iPad compatible .. but that doesn't stop me from recognizing that we don't actually live in Steve Jobs' perfect world of HTML5 unicorns and rainbows... until then, any computing device I own is gonna need to be able to use Flash.
Posts: 15,287
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #929
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $11011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
#1 who are these people installing Flash on their Xooms that are not even out on the market yet??? Yes, there are hacked 10.1 files that POTENTIALLY will work on a Xoom or other Tegra based tablet but no one (outside of Motorola) has installed Flash 10.1 on a Xoom. PERIOD. So, NO IT IS NOT A FACT. It is in fact the opposite of a fact.
Why wouldn't you be able to if you could put it on other devices running the same OS? Isn't that sort of the point? And Motorola has put Flash 10.1 on a Xoom?

You're right. It's not a fact yet. I was wrong about that. But, when people get it tomorrow and put Flash on it, it'll be a fact

Quote:
Now, you CLAIM that Flash 10.1 doesn't perform well on the Xoom... kinda hard to make that claim with ZERO, yes ZERO benchmarks done with it. They didn't bother with it because it was a dead-end...
I'm not necessarily saying that it would be the worst thing ever, but it's far from a stretch to say that an unoptimized 10.1 version would be worse than an optimized 10.2 version. Again, not disagreeing about it being a dead-end, just saying that they could have put it on there, but didn't (and for a good reason).

Quote:
Seriously? #1 that wasn't the argument.. the argument was related to HTML5 adoption.. which is nowhere near the levels you were predicting... as a matter of fact it has barely gained any more adoption then it had at this time last summer.
http://macdailynews.com/2010/10/27/r...back_in_html5/

54% of web video (as of 6 months ago) isn't bad at all. I can't find current numbers. But the argument wasn't just about HTML5 adoption. It was about an HTML5 site available for viewing on iOS *OR* an equivalent app for it. In fact, we had quite a discussion about the relative difficulty of tapping on a bookmark versus tapping on an app to access content. Don't change the parameters of the argument after the fact to suit your current point.

Quote:
You seem to forget that Flash is not just about VIDEO, but many many other applications... I do think it will be less and less prevalent as time goes on... but we are FAR from there yet.
I don't disagree.

Quote:
Flash 10.1 is a massive improvement with huge strides in hardware acceleration... ALL of which Adobe offered to work with Apple on and Apple flat out REFUSED.
On the Mac platform, it wasn't like that everywhere. There were still tons of issues with CPU loads and battery life on the mobile platforms, and these are well-documented. Is it partly Apple's fault with the APIs? Sure. But that makes no difference to the end user. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm not placing all the blame on Adobe here. I'm just saying that if something is on my mobile device, it better not drain my battery unnecessarily.
Posts: 17,612
Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.Silock threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #930
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $12364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
On the Mac platform, it wasn't like that everywhere. There were still tons of issues with CPU loads and battery life on the mobile platforms, and these are well-documented. Is it partly Apple's fault with the APIs? Sure. But that makes no difference to the end user. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I'm not placing all the blame on Adobe here. I'm just saying that if something is on my mobile device, it better not drain my battery unnecessarily.
This is SOLELY on Apple. The reason you have CPU issues on Macs and not Windows is because Apple flat out refused to work with Adobe on hardware acceleration...

I agree that if something is on your mobile, it better work... and it does work for every company that worked with Adobe... (and has decent hardware.. I assume we won't talk about the Chinese knockoff tablets)
Posts: 15,287
AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.AustinChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.