Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2007, 09:40 AM  
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $901
VARSITY
Gasoline at $4 Coming to a Pump Near You, Unfazed by Rising Tab

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=afOlUzd30YOo

Pretty alarmist, IMO, but possible.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Donger; 10-10-2014 at 02:43 PM..
Posts: 78,249
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #3736
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I don't believe that is correct at all. IIRC, you had some questions about differing gasoline prices near Spokane and I did my best to answer them. Would you like me to find the exchange?
Here's the deal. I don't whine about the overall price of gas. It is what it is. What gets my goat is that there is a strong suspicion of price fixing where I live.

I live in an isolated community where there is limited choices of stations. When I moved here 17 years ago, gas would run 15 to 20 cents a gallon higher than Spokane, which makes sense at it costs more to truck it up here.

A few years ago, a major chain (Whitten Oil) here sold and suddenly we were running 30 to 40 cents a gallon higher than Spokane. However, a town that is even further out in the boonies (Republic) stayed at a consistent 20 cents a gallon higher than Spokane.

I was trying to get a sense of if there was a legitimate reason why this might be so and you went off on a tangent on some outdated pricing in Republic (which doesn't update much; it is a very small town) despite having seen with my own eyes what the price there is.

As a follow up, we went hiking last Friday in the Kettle Crest. Afterward, we went to Republic to get some pops. We filled up at the Chevron station there at $3.699/gallon. Gas at the Chevron (all stations actually, since they are in lockstep here) in Colville (where I work) was $3.849/gallon. According to Gasbuddy, the station I fill up at in Spokane was $3.509/gallon. Something hinky is going on, IMO.

As for today, that station in Spokane is still $3.509 and the station I fill up at here is $3.919, verified with my own eyes. That's 41 cents more, so I stand by what I said. The average in Spokane might be higher but it's inflated by the stations along I-90, which are running almost $4/gallon to fleece the travelers. North Spokane, the closest to me, is running around $3.50.
Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #3737
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
No, he's not.
I wasn't talking about the price rise on the West Coast.
Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #3738
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $901
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Here's the deal. I don't whine about the overall price of gas. It is what it is. What gets my goat is that there is a strong suspicion of price fixing where I live.

I live in an isolated community where there is limited choices of stations. When I moved here 17 years ago, gas would run 15 to 20 cents a gallon higher than Spokane, which makes sense at it costs more to truck it up here.

A few years ago, a major chain (Whitten Oil) here sold and suddenly we were running 30 to 40 cents a gallon higher than Spokane. However, a town that is even further out in the boonies (Republic) stayed at a consistent 20 cents a gallon higher than Spokane.

I was trying to get a sense of if there was a legitimate reason why this might be so and you went off on a tangent on some outdated pricing in Republic (which doesn't update much; it is a very small town) despite having seen with my own eyes what the price there is.

As a follow up, we went hiking last Friday in the Kettle Crest. Afterward, we went to Republic to get some pops. We filled up at the Chevron station there at $3.699/gallon. Gas at the Chevron (all stations actually, since they are in lockstep here) in Colville (where I work) was $3.849/gallon. According to Gasbuddy, the station I fill up at in Spokane was $3.509/gallon. Something hinky is going on, IMO.

As for today, that station in Spokane is still $3.509 and the station I fill up at here is $3.919, verified with my own eyes. That's 41 cents more, so I stand by what I said. The average in Spokane might be higher but it's inflated by the stations along I-90, which are running almost $4/gallon to fleece the travelers. North Spokane, the closest to me, is running around $3.50.
Okay, so you are basically complaining that the difference between gasoline in Spokane and out in the boonies has doubled over the last 17 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I was trying to get a sense of if there was a legitimate reason why this might be so and you went off on a tangent on some outdated pricing in Republic (which doesn't update much; it is a very small town) despite having seen with my own eyes what the price there is.
Also, this is incorrect.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?

Last edited by Donger; 08-08-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Posts: 78,249
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #3739
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Okay, so you are basically complaining that the difference between gasoline in Spokane and out in the boonies has doubled over the last 17 years?
No, only since the local chain was bought (about 5 years ago IIRC). And the point is that we are the only boonies area to double in that time. The rest of the outlying areas have stayed the same.

**** it, I've explained this as well as I can so I either suck at it or you are being willfully obtuse. Thanks anyway.
Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #3740
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $901
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
No, only since the local chain was bought (about 5 years ago IIRC). And the point is that we are the only boonies area to double in that time. The rest of the outlying areas have stayed the same.

**** it, I've explained this as well as I can so I either suck at it or you are being willfully obtuse. Thanks anyway.
Here's what you asked:

Is there something about distribution that could explain why a dinky town in the middle of nowhere has cheaper gas than a different rural town that's on a major by-way? There isn't really an easy way to get to Republic, unless the fuel is coming in by train or something.

And my reply:

I doubt it's a distribution thing. Don't forget that retailers can and do set their owns prices (for the most part). The retailers in Republic might set their prices lower respective of each other than compared to the other town. If one station in Republic suddenly sets their price five or ten cents higher than the other stations, people will go to the other stations.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 78,249
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #3741
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Here's what you asked:

Is there something about distribution that could explain why a dinky town in the middle of nowhere has cheaper gas than a different rural town that's on a major by-way? There isn't really an easy way to get to Republic, unless the fuel is coming in by train or something.

And my reply:

I doubt it's a distribution thing. Don't forget that retailers can and do set their owns prices (for the most part). The retailers in Republic might set their prices lower respective of each other than compared to the other town. If one station in Republic suddenly sets their price five or ten cents higher than the other stations, people will go to the other stations.
The fos part was you were trying to tell me that there was only a nickle difference and it was probably due to the stations there keeping the price lower out of the goodness of their hearts or something.

There is only one station in Republic, so I doubt there's a price war. And you are basically saying that the stations in a town can get together and jack prices up as high as they want and there is nothing we can realistically do about it, since driving 80 miles out of the way wouldn't accomplish anything and there is no competition to drive the price down?

Here is what I was griping about:

Spokane is A, Colville is B and Republic is C. 71 miles between A and B and 52 miles between B and C. Republic has stayed consistent and Colville has doubled in the difference between local gas and Spokane. Makes no sense to me.

Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #3742
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $901
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
The fos part was you were trying to tell me that there was only a nickle difference and it was probably due to the stations there keeping the price lower out of the goodness of their hearts or something.
No, that isn't what happened. I mixed the towns up and apologized for the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
There is only one station in Republic, so I doubt there's a price war. And you are basically saying that the stations in a town can get together and jack prices up as high as they want and there is nothing we can realistically do about it, since driving 80 miles out of the way wouldn't accomplish anything and there is no competition to drive the price down?

Here is what I was griping about:

Spokane is A, Colville is B and Republic is C. 71 miles between A and B and 52 miles between B and C. Republic has stayed consistent and Colville has doubled in the difference between local gas and Spokane. Makes no sense to me.

Yes, I'm saying that the station owners can set their pricing wherever they want to, if they are independents.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 78,249
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #3743
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $901
VARSITY
I just checked the prices in Coleville and Republic:

Coleville

$3.84
$3.84
$3.84
$3.81

Republic

$3.71
$3.74

And, a quick check in Spokane shows a delta of ~$0.30 within the city.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 78,249
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #3744
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Yes, I'm saying that the station owners can set their pricing wherever they want to, if they are independents.
And you wonder why people think station owners price gouge and are scumbags?
Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #3745
Frazod Frazod is offline
Banned
 
Frazod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: my own personal pig hell
Casino cash: $5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
No, only since the local chain was bought (about 5 years ago IIRC). And the point is that we are the only boonies area to double in that time. The rest of the outlying areas have stayed the same.

**** it, I've explained this as well as I can so I either suck at it or you are being willfully obtuse. Thanks anyway.
He's not being obtuse. He's having fun! You mean you aren't enjoying this?
Posts: 91,125
Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Frazod < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #3746
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I just checked the prices in Coleville and Republic:

Coleville

$3.84
$3.84
$3.84
$3.81
Outdated. The Safeway ($3.81 above) is now $3.91 and the other stations are $3.89.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Republic

$3.71
$3.74
Was 3.69 on Friday so not surprised it went up a little. Also, one of those is quite a ways out of town, on the way to Curlew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
And, a quick check in Spokane shows a delta of ~$0.30 within the city.
Like I said before, the stations out on I-90 inflate the average.
Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #3747
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $901
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
And you wonder why people think station owners price gouge and are scumbags?
No, I don't wonder. As you acknowledged, variances in metro areas routinely are in the $0.30 or more range. For example, gas stations near airports are always higher, sometimes much higher, than other stations.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 78,249
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #3748
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazod View Post
He's not being obtuse. He's having fun! You mean you aren't enjoying this?
Eh, I'm bored at work today.
Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #3749
Frosty Frosty is online now
Go Beavers!
 
Frosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Warshington
Casino cash: $10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
No, I don't wonder. As you acknowledged, variances in metro areas routinely are in the $0.30 or more range. For example, gas stations near airports are always higher, sometimes much higher, than other stations.
I was referring to the "gouging the hell out of a captive audience" part.
Posts: 10,601
Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Frosty is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #3750
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $901
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Outdated. The Safeway ($3.81 above) is now $3.91 and the other stations are $3.89.




Was 3.69 on Friday so not surprised it went up a little. Also, one of those is quite a ways out of town, on the way to Curlew.
I was just pointing out that a $0.10 to $0.15 difference between towns really isn't that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Like I said before, the stations out on I-90 inflate the average.
Those aren't averages.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 78,249
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.