Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM  
journeyscarab journeyscarab is offline
SHOCKERS BABY!
 
journeyscarab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Overland Park, KS
Casino cash: $5742
Report: ‘At Least Seven’ NFL Players Turn In Guns In Wake Of Belcher Tragedy

Must of been the Costas moment of reason last week....


http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/...lcher-tragedy/


NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - The tragic story of former Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher seems to be having a profound effect on some players around the league.

Belcher, the Long Island native who fatally shot his girlfriend before turning the gun on himself on December 1, shook the football world upside down when he committed murder-suicide.

And now, players are taking action to prevent further unthinkable incidents from occurring.

During Week 14′s coverage of Football Night in America, Peter King reported that multiple NFL players have turned in their firearms as a result of the Belcher tragedy.

“I’ve been told that in the last seven days, at least seven players around the league have gone to their team’s security officers to turn in the firearms that they possess from their homes,” King said during the broadcast. “I’m also told that one of these players had multiple firearms, as Jovan Belcher did — he had eight … He told his security officer, ‘I don’t trust myself with these guns in the house. Please take them away.’”

A recent USA Today poll revealed that three out of four NFL players own guns, whereas 40 to 45 percent of the general population owns firearms.

Belcher killed Kasandra Perkins at the couple’s home and then committed suicide in the parking lot of Arrowhead Stadium, police said. General manager Scott Pioli and head coach Romeo Crennel attempted to stop Belcher from killing himself, but he proceeded to do so in front of them.

Belcher left behind a three-month-old daughter.

According to Police Sgt. Richard Sharp, Belcher and Perkins had been arguing about relationship and financial issues for months, and the team provided counseling for the two so they could work out their issues.
Posts: 2,225
journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.journeyscarab is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #61
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $7275
Well, each team has 53 players on the roster. Plus they get a five man Practice Squad. I think they still get six if one is a QB, but I'll use five. So...58 x 32 = 1856. And 7 / 1856 = .0037 (approximately). Peter King says "at least seven" so we could round that up to .004 perhaps.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,376
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #62
WhiteWhale WhiteWhale is offline
Veteran
 
WhiteWhale's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Doo-Dah
Casino cash: $6412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD View Post
So here's one flaw with your argument, jet aircraft were invented by the Germans in WWII for the explicit purpose of establishing air superiority and taking out as many US bombers as possible. Almost all modern rocketry in the western world can trace it's origin directly to the V-2 rocket program established by Germany in WWII.
That's valid. It's a more reasonable comparison than an automobile, which was designed for transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD View Post
Should both jet aircraft and all modern space/satellite programs be 'tainted' as bad because their origins were as weapons of war? Why something was created should be irrelevant, how it is used should be how we judge it.
Indeed, but can you tell me what use guns serve outside of either killing something or using it to intimidate with the threat of killing? I'm not saying it's tainted. I'm saying people seem to be intellectually dishonest about what they're for. Guns are not a tool like a shovel. They do not have the potential to cause harm... that's pretty much the only thing they can do. It's the sole purpose of their design. You can dig with a shovel. You can drive a car. You can only shoot a gun at things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD View Post
The problem is you missed the point of the original argument. The argument wasn't about cars or guns. It was about being unbiased and about uniform standards. We like to be discriminatory, it's a survival instinct and it's in the DNA of all life. What we have to actively work at doing is trying to be as unbaised as we can. Treating firearms more harshly than other objects that also have the potential to cause harm is discriminatory. If you want to restrict something fine, set a uniform unbiased standard to measure harm and then restrict EVERYTHING that meets that standard.
That's valid. I agree with the core argument, but the analogy is weak sauce. I liked the space program comparison much better. War is the mother of invention and most of the things we enjoy today were in fact created, at least in part, to kill people. Even this thing I'm typing on right now owes it's roots to violent warfare.

I can't log onto the internet with a gun. It's only use is violence or the deterrence of violence with the threat of violence. That is the difference between guns and basically everything else. It's important and should be acknowledged by gun owners. The point I'm trying to make is that guns haven't really expanded in their use. They're used to kill people/animals or threaten to kill people with.. and for most people that's simply a means to protect yourself and your property from any number of potential threats.

They have no other use. It's an important use who's viability has expanded beyond the battlefield, but it's still not a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD View Post
The reality is the vast majority of all firearms are used perfectly legally and without harm to their fellow human beings and yet many people want to prohibit them for everyone based upon the bad actions of a minority just because they personally do not like them.
Again, I agree entirely with this. I support the 2nd amendment myself and I am a gun owner. I have never used my gun to kill anything, but one day I may have to in order to survive. That's the only reason I own it and have trained to use it, all while I pray I never have to use it on a living thing. I'm also thinking of getting a conceal and carry permit after this drunk weirdo freaked out on me at Quiktrip.

Now I know they can be used for Hunting, and I don't condemn that either. It is a violence and killing though. People use guns for it because guns are really awesome at killing things. I wish there were no guns in the world, but if the bad guys have guns so will I.
Posts: 4,307
WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #63
King_Chief_Fan King_Chief_Fan is offline
Praise Him
 
King_Chief_Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: St. Louis MO
Casino cash: $5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneKrusher View Post
i thought Cassel owned a slingshot?
we know it isn't a cannon
__________________
Ephesians 2:8-10

English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Posts: 8,251
King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.