|01-14-2013, 09:03 PM||Topic Starter|
Bringing the posts every day.
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mortal plane
Casino cash: $43038VARSITY
Eight hours in America: Nominations for a Tournament.
I still need to get the "favorite movie scenes" tournament going, but it's kind of hairy. So let's go with a simple and fun tournament for the offseason.
What is the best place to spend eight hours as a tourist in America?
Assume that a new acquaintance of yours has one day of leisure time to spend anywhere in America. Where do you send them to get the best possible experience?
1. They have up to eight hours. It can be less, but cannot be more.
2. The eight hours can be any time of day. If it's not 9 am to 5 pm, please specify the hours. Otherwise, we'll go with a 9 to 5 schedule.
3. You can specify any location or venue, but recognize that they have eight hours. So if you say "The White House", they'll have eight hours there. If you say, "Washington, DC", they'll have eight hours there.
4. Stick to one venue or region. So you can say, "On the Mall in DC" or you can say, "Monticello", but you cannot say, "On the Mall in DC and then Monticello".
5. Assume that the person is not American and has never visited the U.S. He/she has a basic understanding of what America is, but no advanced knowledge. He/she speaks English well and can navigate as well as an American can.
6. Assume that the person is reasonably health, mobile, and intelligent, but you don't know what their particular passions and interests are. They want to "experience America", but you know nothing more than that.
7. It needs to be available to the general public. So you can't propose something like a presidential gala.
8. It needs to be something that a person could reasonably plan and attend. So you can't propose something like "that presidential masonic retreat where rich people eat babies". Try to go with things that are normal tourist activities.
When I get enough suggestions, I'll set up a tournament that will entertain me and hopefully some of you for the next week or two.
Got it? I'll start with a few initial suggestions in diverse categories.
1. The Air and Space Museum.
2. Manhattan (Central Park, Times Square, Broadway, etc.)
3. Key West
4. Arches National Park
5. A Mississippi River Cruise
6. The St. Louis Arch and Expansion Museum
Anyone want to add suggestions?