Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 PM  
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $14040
VARSITY
Why people laugh at Creationists

Taking a lead from Killer Clown I thought I'd create a alternative thread to post some videos I like...

[EDIT New video here]

So on with the show:

Here's the Kent Hovind Theory:



"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

Last edited by Dave Lane; 01-08-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Posts: 25,088
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #2221
ChiefRocka ChiefRocka is offline
Veteran
 
ChiefRocka's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MD
Casino cash: $7474
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Case for Christ?
Let's clear the air, to begin I'm not very religious and rarely go to church but I have my own moral beliefs and enjoy the discussion. That being said, do you first agree that there was in fact a man name Jesus of Nazareth that lived a long long time ago?? Because many uneducated(or unwilling) refuse to even recognize this historical fact.

Respectfully, my personal belief is that there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to religion.
Posts: 1,992
ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #2222
ChiefRocka ChiefRocka is offline
Veteran
 
ChiefRocka's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MD
Casino cash: $7474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yeah, but it's not the same shit rehashed a million times from a few thousand years ago.
Couldn't agree more, its a huge telephone game that has been twisted to make many people rich. The bad side of religion.
Posts: 1,992
ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #2223
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $10110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Can't the same be said for everything you perceive to be true today? Someone observed something, identified it and wrote it down.
No, there's a huge difference. Repeatable observation and experimentation. Someone observed something, identified it and wrote it down. I can repeat their experiment and observe the results for myself, and compare my results to that other someone's results. Then this process can be repeated by hundreds or thousands of other people, to provide however many additional observations we need until we're certain that the observable outcome is consistent.

Nobody else in history has repeated the observation of a supernatural being talking by means of a burning bush. Or observing anyone building a big boat and loading it up with 2 of every creature in the world. And so on and so on....

Huge difference....
__________________
Posts: 26,127
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #2224
ChiefRocka ChiefRocka is offline
Veteran
 
ChiefRocka's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MD
Casino cash: $7474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
No, there's a huge difference. Repeatable observation and experimentation. Someone observed something, identified it and wrote it down. I can repeat their experiment and observe the results for myself, and compare my results to that other someone's results. Then this process can be repeated by hundreds or thousands of other people, to provide however many additional observations we need until we're certain that the observable outcome is consistent.

Nobody else in history has repeated the observation of a supernatural being talking by means of a burning bush. Or observing anyone building a big boat and loading it up with 2 of every creature in the world. And so on and so on....

Huge difference....

My beliefs as to the second half of your statement is that bible is very much a figurative text (I realize this goes against most religious teachings).

As to the first paragraph I agree with respect to "something" that was repeatable but what about "someone" who lived a very long time ago. Is it possible that in 2000 years Hitlers crimes will have just been an unbelievable myth? Even today people do not believe that the Holocaust occurred.
Posts: 1,992
ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #2225
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $14040
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
say His name, dave.
Dave.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 25,088
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #2226
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $14040
VARSITY
Sam Harris decimates the arguments of Divine Command Theory and Christian doctrine based upon it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 25,088
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #2227
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $10110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
My beliefs as to the second half of your statement is that bible is very much a figurative text (I realize this goes against most religious teachings).

As to the first paragraph I agree with respect to "something" that was repeatable but what about "someone" who lived a very long time ago. Is it possible that in 2000 years Hitlers crimes will have just been an unbelievable myth? Even today people do not believe that the Holocaust occurred.
Your interpretation of "Figurative text" highlights the large gray buffer zone that most people use to defend their illogical religious beliefs. The parts that sound too crazy are simply "Figurative". But that kind of thinking makes religion solely a personal experience. That's fine and dandy as far as I'm concerned, but like you said it goes against most religious teachings. And that's a problem. It just adds more evidence to the fact that individual spirituality however you see fit is what matters. And taking Bible verses and using them as proof or evidence is folly. Because everyone interprets it differently, and the information within has been passed down and translated and tweaked and censored for 2000 years.

Now back to today's methods of observation and proof. No I don't believe that in 2000 years, Hitler will be seen much differently. Simply because our ability to record observations and gathered data has improved so dramatically that it leaves very little room for that level of discrepancy through time. There are too many sources and ways to verify the validity of information. There's still a vast amount of misinformation and flat out lying these days. But it's much easier to prove the bullshitters as what they are. People living today who don't believe in the Holocaust are rightly laughed out of the room.
__________________
Posts: 26,127
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #2228
ChiefRocka ChiefRocka is offline
Veteran
 
ChiefRocka's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MD
Casino cash: $7474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Your interpretation of "Figurative text" highlights the large gray buffer zone that most people use to defend their illogical religious beliefs. The parts that sound too crazy are simply "Figurative". But that kind of thinking makes religion solely a personal experience. That's fine and dandy as far as I'm concerned, but like you said it goes against most religious teachings. And that's a problem. It just adds more evidence to the fact that individual spirituality however you see fit is what matters. And taking Bible verses and using them as proof or evidence is folly. Because everyone interprets it differently, and the information within has been passed down and translated and tweaked and censored for 2000 years.

Now back to today's methods of observation and proof. No I don't believe that in 2000 years, Hitler will be seen much differently. Simply because our ability to record observations and gathered data has improved so dramatically that it leaves very little room for that level of discrepancy through time. There are too many sources and ways to verify the validity of information. There's still a vast amount of misinformation and flat out lying these days. But it's much easier to prove the bullshitters as what they are. People living today who don't believe in the Holocaust are rightly laughed out of the room.
Good stuff Fish. Very much appreciate the rare and reasonable back and forth. Still loving the Science updates.
Posts: 1,992
ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #2229
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
My beliefs as to the second half of your statement is that bible is very much a figurative text (I realize this goes against most religious teachings).

As to the first paragraph I agree with respect to "something" that was repeatable but what about "someone" who lived a very long time ago. Is it possible that in 2000 years Hitlers crimes will have just been an unbelievable myth? Even today people do not believe that the Holocaust occurred.
So you take the writings of god " la carte" Sorry but I find this thinking flawed at best. These writings were born in bronze age Persia and were written by deeply superstitious men in a mostly illiterate area of the world. The new testament was created due to the appearance of the son of god. The writings about the son of god who was sent to earth for a human sacrifice were assembled into the new testament during the same time frame that Constantine directed that Christianity would be the religion of Rome. The same mindset was used when choosing the writings that would be deemed correct and several others were dismissed.

I will not digress into the reason Constantine chose this religion as I will assume you have done the due diligence to research the development of the belief and writings you now follow. So I ask you in all sincerity how you square the circle of people picking and choosing what books you would read along with your picking and choosing which parts you agree with? You speak of people of who deny the holocaust and go on to mention how in the future many will dismiss it as myth. That event has indisputable evidence yet you hitch your belief to a post that has absolutely zero evidence. There are several other things that leave me untouched by any of the three monotheism's. Having spend a considerable amount of time studying these beliefs along with many splinter religions, this is not an attempt to mock but a true curiosity of how people think and justify their beliefs~
__________________
It would indeed be a tragedy if the history of the human race proved to be nothing more than the story of an ape playing with a box of matches on a petrol dump.
David Ormsby Gore~
Posts: 24,343
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #2230
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $8689
On the subject of Sam Harris this is a short clip from one his debates. I highly recommend his book Letter to a Christian Nation. For those who do not wish to purchase the book the entire audio version is available on you tube. Anyway here is the clip~
__________________
It would indeed be a tragedy if the history of the human race proved to be nothing more than the story of an ape playing with a box of matches on a petrol dump.
David Ormsby Gore~
Posts: 24,343
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #2231
ChiefRocka ChiefRocka is offline
Veteran
 
ChiefRocka's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MD
Casino cash: $7474
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNR View Post
So you take the writings of god " la carte" Sorry but I find this thinking flawed at best. These writings were born in bronze age Persia and were written by deeply superstitious men in a mostly illiterate area of the world. The new testament was created due to the appearance of the son of god. The writings about the son of god who was sent to earth for a human sacrifice were assembled into the new testament during the same time frame that Constantine directed that Christianity would be the religion of Rome. The same mindset was used when choosing the writings that would be deemed correct and several others were dismissed.

I will not digress into the reason Constantine chose this religion as I will assume you have done the due diligence to research the development of the belief and writings you now follow. So I ask you in all sincerity how you square the circle of people picking and choosing what books you would read along with your picking and choosing which parts you agree with? You speak of people of who deny the holocaust and go on to mention how in the future many will dismiss it as myth. That event has indisputable evidence yet you hitch your belief to a post that has absolutely zero evidence. There are several other things that leave me untouched by any of the three monotheism's. Having spend a considerable amount of time studying these beliefs along with many splinter religions, this is not an attempt to mock but a true curiosity of how people think and justify their beliefs~
First sentence, my beliefs are "flawed"...hey guy, who are you to judge?
Call me a Protestant's Protestant if you need to classify my response for your research into the "true curiousity of how people think and justify their beliefs for children who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff."

A question for you: If a car sat in your driveway and I told you that this automobile had no designer nor manufacturer, that it simply came by itself...what would you say?
Posts: 1,992
ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.ChiefRocka would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #2232
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
First sentence, my beliefs are "flawed"...hey guy, who are you to judge?
Call me a Protestant's Protestant if you need to classify my response for your research into the "true curiousity of how people think and justify their beliefs for children who can't read good and wanna learn to do other stuff."

A question for you: If a car sat in your driveway and I told you that this automobile had no designer nor manufacturer, that it simply came by itself...what would you say?
I said "I find your beliefs flawed" also jumping to a deist question to answer my question is odd. The leap from the deist position to the theism position is very wide. If you hold a deist belief we are not that far apart~
__________________
It would indeed be a tragedy if the history of the human race proved to be nothing more than the story of an ape playing with a box of matches on a petrol dump.
David Ormsby Gore~

Last edited by RedNeckRaider; 03-01-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Posts: 24,343
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #2233
hometeam hometeam is offline
Supporter
 
hometeam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Jefferson City
Casino cash: $10696
Wow.. i just searched science looking for the science is cool thread, and found this. IS THIS WHAT DC IS LIKE?

Also, LOL at this thread. PHEWWW
Posts: 5,888
hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.hometeam has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #2234
listopencil listopencil is online now
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $12135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
A question for you: If a car sat in your driveway and I told you that this automobile had no designer nor manufacturer, that it simply came by itself...what would you say?
Does this car exist in our universe, or the universe where cars are running wild in various forms through the trackless void?
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,966
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #2235
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $8689
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometeam View Post
Wow.. i just searched science looking for the science is cool thread, and found this. IS THIS WHAT DC IS LIKE?

Also, LOL at this thread. PHEWWW
did you shoot your wad with that pointless post?
__________________
It would indeed be a tragedy if the history of the human race proved to be nothing more than the story of an ape playing with a box of matches on a petrol dump.
David Ormsby Gore~
Posts: 24,343
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.