Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 AM  
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The Bitch is back
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $6490
Will Dzhokhar get the death penalty?

Massachussetts: outlawed the death penalty in 1982.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital..._Massachusetts

Gov Deval Patrick: Publicly opposes the death penalty. http://www.ontheissues.org/Deval_Patrick.htm

Most Americans prefer life imprisonment to death if given the choice:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90348&page=1


Therefore there can be no doubt that the bomber will be kept in prison rather than executed. No way a liberal state will be able to oppose the death penalty (esp when they made it state law)..... and then turn around to execute the bomber. Must be consistent.
Posts: 13,299
Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #31
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The Bitch is back
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $6490
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post
Not "liking" the death penalty but being ok with it under particular circumstances isn't unusual or inconsistent.
I'll grant that you fall into the category of liberals who are ok with the death penalty. At least in certain cases. Now, I ask you to grand me that the clear majority of anti-DP liberals oppose it because they are morally against it. They don't like it, they think it's barbaric, they think it's just wrong. NOT because of the "certainty issue".


Because I've never seen a liberal - not one - say "Well I'd be ok with the death penalty so long as we know he's guilty. Or he admits it." Never once have I heard that.
Posts: 13,299
Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #32
'Hamas' Jenkins 'Hamas' Jenkins is offline
Emptying the Trash
 
'Hamas' Jenkins's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Casino cash: $6060
It's obvious he's going to get the death penalty.
__________________
A great shot is when you pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try.
Posts: 57,611
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #33
KChiefer KChiefer is offline
Fantastic Planeteer
 
KChiefer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Champaign, IL
Casino cash: $5312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Because I've never seen a liberal - not one - say "Well I'd be ok with the death penalty so long as we know he's guilty. Or he admits it." Never once have I heard that.
Really? That's just more evidence that you live in a bubble.
Posts: 4,790
KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
Amnorix Amnorix is online now
In BB I trust
 
Amnorix's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, Mass.
Casino cash: $5365
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise View Post
Needle, at Terre Haute.

Knew that Terre Haute was where all federal death row inmates go. Wasn't sure if everybody got the needle or not. Thanks.
__________________
"I love signature blocks on the Internet. I get to put whatever the hell I want in quotes, pick a pretend author, and bang, it's like he really said it." George Washington
Posts: 33,054
Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #35
Amnorix Amnorix is online now
In BB I trust
 
Amnorix's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, Mass.
Casino cash: $5365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Again, I know this. I know Feds can swoop in and take precedence. I want to know how MA voters will accept this, given they are good liberals who don't like the death penalty. I just wonder if they'll be consistent, if Haaaahvad Square will have huge protests of liberals demanding no death penalty to Dzohkar.

There may well be some protesters regarding giving him the needle because there are definitely some very liberal whackados in Cambridge especially.

But most folks will cheer the sentence I have no doubt. If you have some weird notion that Massachusetts is 100% granola crunching earthy liberal whackos, then let me help -- you're wrong. Very wrong.
__________________
"I love signature blocks on the Internet. I get to put whatever the hell I want in quotes, pick a pretend author, and bang, it's like he really said it." George Washington
Posts: 33,054
Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $5899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
I'll grant that you fall into the category of liberals who are ok with the death penalty. At least in certain cases. Now, I ask you to grand me that the clear majority of anti-DP liberals oppose it because they are morally against it. They don't like it, they think it's barbaric, they think it's just wrong. NOT because of the "certainty issue".


Because I've never seen a liberal - not one - say "Well I'd be ok with the death penalty so long as we know he's guilty. Or he admits it." Never once have I heard that.
I can't grant you that because I have no idea. Most of the "liberals" that I personally know are "against" the death penalty. But then some high-profile killer like Tim McVeigh comes along (you generally only hear about the high-profile or local ones), and they're not too bothered by it. Like I said, I think most people "against" it are against it as a general principle. But when applied to an actual murderer, they aren't that upset about it.

Frankly, I'm not sure why the religious right isn't more against it. Pro-life means pro-life doesn't it? The unborn baby might be more attractive to defend, but a murderer is a human being, created by God.
Posts: 17,889
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #37
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
I'll grant that you fall into the category of liberals who are ok with the death penalty. At least in certain cases. Now, I ask you to grand me that the clear majority of anti-DP liberals oppose it because they are morally against it. They don't like it, they think it's barbaric, they think it's just wrong. NOT because of the "certainty issue".


Because I've never seen a liberal - not one - say "Well I'd be ok with the death penalty so long as we know he's guilty. Or he admits it." Never once have I heard that.
Liberals I know seem to be more against the death penalty because of its inconsistent application. Prof. Baldus' famous research showed that more minorities were being sentenced to death than whites for the same crimes; or, murdering whites led to death sentences whereas murdering minorities often led to life sentences.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #38
Amnorix Amnorix is online now
In BB I trust
 
Amnorix's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, Mass.
Casino cash: $5365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Dershowitz believes that by not reading him his miranda rights, the authorities blew all chances at the death penalty:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...da_rights.html


I think he's probably right.
And I don't. I agree that the public safety exception may not apply, so any answers he gave might not be able to be used against him. That doesn't mean that he's off the hook for the death penalty, however. One doesn't need a criminal's own testimony to establish mens rea. I think there's an overwhelming amount of evidence to establish that he had intentions toward committing a terrorist act.

Dershowitz is a great lawyer, but he's also very liberal, and I think his bias is getting in the way here.
__________________
"I love signature blocks on the Internet. I get to put whatever the hell I want in quotes, pick a pretend author, and bang, it's like he really said it." George Washington
Posts: 33,054
Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
Amnorix Amnorix is online now
In BB I trust
 
Amnorix's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, Mass.
Casino cash: $5365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
I'll grant that you fall into the category of liberals who are ok with the death penalty. At least in certain cases. Now, I ask you to grand me that the clear majority of anti-DP liberals oppose it because they are morally against it. They don't like it, they think it's barbaric, they think it's just wrong. NOT because of the "certainty issue".


Because I've never seen a liberal - not one - say "Well I'd be ok with the death penalty so long as we know he's guilty. Or he admits it." Never once have I heard that.

I think most people that are against the death penalty hold that position for one of several reasons:

1. it's morally reprehensible for the state to cause death. How can the state say killing is bad when it is itself killing people. THIS is the position that YOU are referring to. I think, actually, that most people who are against the death penalty are not against it for this reason. Typically you find, for example, devout Catholics and the like holding this position.

2. The death penalty is bad because sometimes innocents are convicted, and you cant' undo death.

3. The death penalty is bad because human bias typically results in uneven, unfair and therefore Constitutionally unacceptable unequal application. Studies have supported this (more blacks get the death penalty when killing whites than vice versa, etc. etc.).


I think MOST people who are against the death penalty in principle are against it for the latter two reasons.

Here, you've got a pretty blatant "yeah, this guy needs to die by needle", and only those who are in category 1 are going to give a damn.
__________________
"I love signature blocks on the Internet. I get to put whatever the hell I want in quotes, pick a pretend author, and bang, it's like he really said it." George Washington
Posts: 33,054
Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #40
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Good post, Amno.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #41
KChiefer KChiefer is offline
Fantastic Planeteer
 
KChiefer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Champaign, IL
Casino cash: $5312
Another reason why some don't like the death penalty is the drawn out process that goes with it that is needed to ensure they don't wrongfully execute someone. There was at least one injured victim from the Aurora shooting that said he hoped they wouldn't pursue death because it would take longer and thus postpone closure, the "healing process."
Posts: 4,790
KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefer wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #42
Amnorix Amnorix is online now
In BB I trust
 
Amnorix's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, Mass.
Casino cash: $5365
Quote:
Originally Posted by KChiefer View Post
Another reason why some don't like the death penalty is the drawn out process that goes with it that is needed to ensure they don't wrongfully execute someone. There was at least one injured victim from the Aurora shooting that said he hoped they wouldn't pursue death because it would take longer and thus postpone closure, the "healing process."


I guess. Is that a position held by many philosophically against all application of the death penalty, or just by one victim in one instance? I admit I havent' really heard that one before as a general concept.

Seems strange to me since either way the guy is going to be in jail. The only question is whether he's in jail awaiting death by natural causes or death by needle/chair.
__________________
"I love signature blocks on the Internet. I get to put whatever the hell I want in quotes, pick a pretend author, and bang, it's like he really said it." George Washington
Posts: 33,054
Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Amnorix has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #43
jettio jettio is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Kansas City
Casino cash: $5000
I think the best argument regards mitigating circumstances that his lawyers could make would be that he is only a year or two older than the minimum age for the death penalty and he has been smoking weed regularly since before he was death penalty eligible until a short time ago.

If the argument for a minimum age for the death penalty is that the mind is not fully developed for full culpability, then the fact that affected his developing mind and made him more likely to become overly religious and unduly influenced by his brother. The paranoia that comes with dope smoking can make a susceptible person think that he or his religion has all of the answers.

However, the aggravating factors of the numbers and scope of gruesome injuries and the callous disregard towards innocent people will outweigh that.

I think the only way he avoids a death sentence would be if he convincingly apologized and begged for mercy after explaining how he got to that point.

Dershowitz's statement about some crucial admission being excluded that would affect the outcome is off base. Even if some statements are excluded it will not matter.

You do not need a confession to prove that this was an intentional act with foreseeable and expected consequences and a confession is not needed to establish sufficient aggravating factors regards sentencing.

I am opposed to the death penalty for moral and church reasons. I also think that it is too expensive because the trial has to be done exactly right because the standard for death penalty defense lawyers is to preserve every issue and for death penalty appellate lawyers to argue every possible issue and then there are other stages of review beyond the first post-conviction appeal that take a long time and use a lot of resources if the prisoner wants his lawyers to try and save his life.
__________________
Where Ignorance is Bliss, 'Tis Folly to be Wise.

__
Posts: 6,968
jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.jettio must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #44
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Since Hostess shut down, we can conclude that the Twinkie defense is definitely off-limits. Unless he had a secret stash.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #45
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $5899
Quote:
Originally Posted by La literatura View Post
Since Hostess shut down, we can conclude that the Twinkie defense is definitely off-limits. Unless he had a secret stash.
It could probably be extended to Little Debbie. The Zinger defense?
Posts: 17,889
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.