Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Royal Lounge

View Poll Results: Insert your own question here.
Yes 10 23.26%
No 4 9.30%
The SS Minnow 5 11.63%
Grappling hooks 6 13.95%
Monty Beisel 11 25.58%
Balinese Dancers 6 13.95%
Other (Please Specify.) 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 AM  
Rain Man Rain Man is online now
No known superpowers
 
Rain Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In A World Few See
Casino cash: $6566
VARSITY
Tarell Brown fired his agent for a really good reason.

I bet the agent was really looking forward to hearing his receptionist say, "Tarell Brown on Line 2".

Seriously, it seems like this is really good lawsuit material. Isn't it the agent's job to know this stuff?


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...49ers-workouts

Tarell Brown left $2 million on the table this offseason. This hardly was part of the plan.

The San Francisco 49ers cornerback was due to earn $2.925 million in 2013, the final year of his contract. To collect $2 million of that salary, he was obligated to attend offseason workouts with the team. Unaware that his attendance was contractually mandatory, Brown worked out on his own in Texas.

He didn't realize he had cost himself dearly until Thursday, when he saw reports on Twitter. He immediately fired his agent, Brian Overstreet.

"No one wants to leave money on the table," Brown said Thursday, via The Associated Press. "If I would have known the clauses in my contract -- that's what agents get paid to do, to orchestrate the contract and to let you know what you can and can't do as far as workouts and OTAs and things of that sort. That's what he got paid to do. He didn't do that, so in my opinion, you have to be let go. We all are held accountable for our actions. This is part of the business."

After finishing what we imagine was a tremendously pleasant conversation with Mr. Overstreet, Brown reached out to the 49ers. Unfortunately for the 28-year-old, "there wasn't too much I really could say."

"It had nothing to do with not being in shape, not wanting to work out, no contract problems, it just had to do with me wanting to go back home and train," Brown said. "It's something I've been doing for the past few years."


Brown said he plans to sit down with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh in an effort to work out a compromise of some kind.

"Hope for the best," Brown said. "Pray for me."

Let's throw in a prayer for the agent, too. What a mess.
Posts: 77,374
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #76
DaneMcCloud DaneMcCloud is offline
Band
 
DaneMcCloud's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The 'Wood
Casino cash: $5000
The agent screwed himself as well.

Agents are allowed a maximum of 3% of their player's earnings, but those earning must be paid before an agent receives his portion.

So this guy screwed himself for as much as $60k.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER View Post
Geno > Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) View Post
Dane is gonna have to leave again after we draft Geno.

He faces monstrous backlash.
Posts: 48,886
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #77
Miles Miles is offline
MVP
 
Miles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Casino cash: $2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
No offense but it's clear that you aren't used to dealing with "talent".

People who earn a living from their "talent" hire others to maintain their finances, make deals in their best interest and inform them, daily if necessary, of their contractual obligations.

Doing so allows them to focus on their job, whether it's as a sports, music or movie star.

From what's been released publicly to date, it appears that the agent failed his client.
That is a really good point. It would seem that in the general business context reminding him about the provision would be good client service but in the context of an agent representing a player/talent there is an expectation of that.
Posts: 12,321
Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Miles has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #78
GloryDayz GloryDayz is online now
Good luck KC Chiefs...
 
GloryDayz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Casino cash: $19743
Welp, he can always deliver pizzas to make-up the difference...
Posts: 23,678
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #79
DaneMcCloud DaneMcCloud is offline
Band
 
DaneMcCloud's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The 'Wood
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
Welp, he can always deliver pizzas to make-up the difference...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Smith HATER View Post
Geno > Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) View Post
Dane is gonna have to leave again after we draft Geno.

He faces monstrous backlash.
Posts: 48,886
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #80
RINGLEADER RINGLEADER is offline
RING****ER
 
RINGLEADER's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Confusion, USA
Casino cash: $8630
Simon Bar Sinister
Posts: 23,532
RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RINGLEADER Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #81
WhiteWhale WhiteWhale is offline
Veteran
 
WhiteWhale's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Doo-Dah
Casino cash: $8409
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoChief View Post
I think you have to take responsibility for yourself.

That's not exactly fine print in terms of the contract wording.

Yes the agent should be fired IMO, but I don't feel sorry for the guy as it's his own responsibility to know the basic framework of his contract.
What's your familiarity with the structure of NFL contracts and their negotiations?

I mean I'm assuming you're not just speaking irresponsibly of things you know nothing about. What NFL contracts have you looked over? You seem to have some knowledge about what is and what isn't clearly stated to the player.

I mean for all I know these contracts are 27 pages and very confusing for the average person. I have no idea at all what an NFL contract looks like.
Posts: 4,528
WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #82
LoneWolf LoneWolf is offline
BAMF
 
LoneWolf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita
Casino cash: $8904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
No offense but it's clear that you aren't used to dealing with "talent".

People who earn a living from their "talent" hire others to maintain their finances, make deals in their best interest and inform them, daily if necessary, of their contractual obligations.

Doing so allows them to focus on their job, whether it's as a sports, music or movie star.

From what's been released publicly to date, it appears that the agent failed his client.
I respectfully disagree. There are quite a number of people besides sports figures and entertainers who earn a living from their "talent". I certainly do and I'm sure you do to. I have an employment contract that I have signed and it states all of the benefits I'm entitled to as well as my bonus structure. Before I signed it, I had my personal lawyer read it over just to make sure that I understood all of the language in it.

My lawyer doesn't have to contact me daily to let me know what is in my contract and I'm able to focus on my job while still worrying about all the mundane details of my day to day life including taking care of my own finances.

The problem is that these players are used to being coddled and have never had to take responsibility for the details in their day to day lives. They just assume that somebody is taking care of the stuff they are either not interested in worrying about or not smart enough to understand. Many of the retired players who have seen their fortunes reduced to nothing because they didn't take the time to understand what was happening with their money will tell you that they wish they would have taken a more active interest into their contracts and finances.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones View Post
If we win 8 games I'll post a nude selfie.
Posts: 5,583
LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #83
theelusiveeightrop theelusiveeightrop is offline
Spiraling down the Drain
 
theelusiveeightrop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dante's Ninth Circle
Casino cash: $10150
Wonder if he wants he agent to wipe his ass. When discussing money, it helps to be the smartest guy in the room. Brown ****ed up. He trusted the wrong people.
__________________
"We're both part of the same hypocrisy, Senator, but never think it applies to my family."

2014 Adopt a Chief - Travis Kelce #87
Posts: 20,191
theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #84
chiefzilla1501 chiefzilla1501 is online now
MVP
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Casino cash: $10091
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop View Post
Wonder if he wants he agent to wipe his ass. When discussing money, it helps to be the smartest guy in the room. Brown ****ed up. He trusted the wrong people.
Wrong people? He hired a respected agent from a reputable sports marketing firm. It's not like he hired an agent he met at Sears.

And yes, when you have a 1-time clause worth $2M, the agent should know about it and push on it. Instead, the agent lost out on commission for that $2M and I'm sure it's going to hurt his ability to attract future clients. His agent, by a mile, is the idiot here.
Posts: 20,607
chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.chiefzilla1501 is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #85
theelusiveeightrop theelusiveeightrop is offline
Spiraling down the Drain
 
theelusiveeightrop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dante's Ninth Circle
Casino cash: $10150
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
Wrong people? He hired a respected agent from a reputable sports marketing firm. It's not like he hired an agent he met at Sears.

And yes, when you have a 1-time clause worth $2M, the agent should know about it and push on it. Instead, the agent lost out on commission for that $2M and I'm sure it's going to hurt his ability to attract future clients. His agent, by a mile, is the idiot here.
Trust but verify.
__________________
"We're both part of the same hypocrisy, Senator, but never think it applies to my family."

2014 Adopt a Chief - Travis Kelce #87
Posts: 20,191
theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #86
Rudy lost the toss Rudy lost the toss is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Casino cash: $10718
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
I respectfully disagree. There are quite a number of people besides sports figures and entertainers who earn a living from their "talent". I certainly do and I'm sure you do to. I have an employment contract that I have signed and it states all of the benefits I'm entitled to as well as my bonus structure. Before I signed it, I had my personal lawyer read it over just to make sure that I understood all of the language in it.

My lawyer doesn't have to contact me daily to let me know what is in my contract and I'm able to focus on my job while still worrying about all the mundane details of my day to day life including taking care of my own finances.

The problem is that these players are used to being coddled and have never had to take responsibility for the details in their day to day lives. They just assume that somebody is taking care of the stuff they are either not interested in worrying about or not smart enough to understand. Many of the retired players who have seen their fortunes reduced to nothing because they didn't take the time to understand what was happening with their money will tell you that they wish they would have taken a more active interest into their contracts and finances.
We get it. You hate young, rich men.
Posts: 9,953
Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.Rudy lost the toss would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #87
LoneWolf LoneWolf is offline
BAMF
 
LoneWolf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita
Casino cash: $8904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides View Post
We get it. You hate young, rich men.
Not at all. I despise people that don't take an active interest in the issues that effect their lives and then try to blame others when things go bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones View Post
If we win 8 games I'll post a nude selfie.
Posts: 5,583
LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.LoneWolf has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #88
theelusiveeightrop theelusiveeightrop is offline
Spiraling down the Drain
 
theelusiveeightrop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dante's Ninth Circle
Casino cash: $10150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Not at all. I despise people that don't take an active interest in the issues that effect their lives and then try to blame others when things go bad.
Couldn't agree more. It's always someone else's fault isn't it................
__________________
"We're both part of the same hypocrisy, Senator, but never think it applies to my family."

2014 Adopt a Chief - Travis Kelce #87
Posts: 20,191
theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #89
-King- -King- is offline
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓
 
-King-'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Casino cash: $14630
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Not at all. I despise people that don't take an active interest in the issues that effect their lives and then try to blame others when things go bad.
I really don't think you understand what an agents/managers job is and why they are hired.

If the players have to take an active interest in their contracts then there would be no point in hiring agents. But the players don't have the time for that and don't have the knowledge necessary to do that. Its the agents job to interpret the contract to them and make sure they know what's going on at all times regarding clauses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 40,238
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #90
theelusiveeightrop theelusiveeightrop is offline
Spiraling down the Drain
 
theelusiveeightrop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dante's Ninth Circle
Casino cash: $10150
[quote=-King-;9837680]I really don't think you understand what an agents/managers job is and why they are hired.

If the players have to take an active interest in their contracts then there would be no point in hiring agents. But the players don't have the time for that and don't have the knowledge necessary to do that. Its the agents job to interpret the contract to them and make sure they know what's going on at all times regarding clauses.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE

Wow! If it comes to gaining or losing 2 mil, I would hope to be knowledgeable
__________________
"We're both part of the same hypocrisy, Senator, but never think it applies to my family."

2014 Adopt a Chief - Travis Kelce #87
Posts: 20,191
theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.