Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM  
DaKCMan AP DaKCMan AP is offline
Beloved & Awesome CP Celebrity
 
DaKCMan AP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Florida
Casino cash: $15052
Dear, Vikings: Thanks for our quarterback; Sincerely, Chiefs

Dear, Vikings: Thanks for our quarterback; Sincerely, Chiefs

By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

I heard someone last week ask if there were any way the Minnesota Vikings could repay Kansas City for dropping star defensive end Jared Allen on their doorstep, and, yes, I said, there is. In fact, they've already done it.

Meet Tyler Thigpen.

He's the Chiefs' quarterback for now and maybe the future, but he wouldn't be in Kansas City if the Vikings hadn't cut him loose a year ago to make room for a reserve tight end.

The move was a gamble, and Minnesota knew it, but it figured it could re-sign Thigpen -- chosen by the Vikings in the seventh round of the 2007 draft -- to its practice squad after he cleared waivers.

Only he didn't clear. Kansas City claimed him.

Now he's playing so well that Chiefs coach Herman Edwards confessed he's considering scrapping the Chiefs' run-heavy offense next season and going with what works for Tyler Thigpen -- a more spread-out, wide-open, two-minute approach that usually has Thigpen operating out of the shotgun.

That can't be good news for someone like running back Larry Johnson, but it is for Thigpen. It means someone has a conviction about the guy, and that someone is Edwards -- with the coach considering a change next season from his offenses of the past just to suit his young quarterback.

If that happens, it means Edwards believes in Thigpen as his future starter. But he isn't there yet, and he emphasized that when I reached him Wednesday.

"We've got four games left," he said. "Let's see what he does. But one thing I do know: He's a No. 2. There is no doubt about that. That we know."

Others within the Kansas City hierarchy admit "cautious optimism" about Thigpen, who produced his first victory last weekend and who has played well for one of the league's bottom feeders. In fact, in a recent four-game stretch, he threw eight touchdown passes and one interception and took, in order, the Jets, Tampa Bay and San Diego to the mat, with all three games decided in the closing seconds.

Now, let's make something clear: Tyler Thigpen is not the next Eli or Peyton Manning. But he is a pleasant discovery in a not-so-pleasant season in Kansas City, and the Chiefs can address those "thank you" notes to 9520 Viking Drive, Eden Prairie, Minn. They wouldn't have Thigpen were it not for the Vikings' gamble.

The common perception is that Kansas City discovered Thigpen when the Chiefs and Vikings held a preseason scrimmage, but Edwards shot down that idea, saying Thigpen didn't play "that much" when the two teams practiced against each other. Instead, he said, Thigpen appeared on the Kansas City radar when he was a star quarterback at Coastal Carolina, with the Chiefs rating him a low fifth- or high sixth-round choice.

He could run. He had a strong arm. He was accurate. He was durable. And he won. Basically, he was everything you wanted from a quarterback, with a couple of drawbacks: 1) He didn't operate in a pro offense, working instead out of the shotgun, and 2) he played at a small school against lesser competition.

Nevertheless, when the team's vice president of player personnel, Bill Kuharich, watched him that summer in the fourth quarter of an exhibition game, he noticed something he liked.

"It was just the way he handled himself and the pressure," said Kuharich. "It reinforced what I had seen on tape. (Team president) Carl (Peterson), Herm and I decided if he ever became available we would claim him."

Which, of course, they did when Minnesota stuck with Tarvaris Jackson and acquired veteran backup Kelly Holcomb. Now, Holcomb is gone, Jackson is benched and Thigpen is playing for Kansas City. Hindsight is 20-20, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out the Vikings erred when they let Thigpen go.

I came to that conclusion last weekend when Thigpen led Kansas City on a 16-play, 91-yard drive that broke a 10-10 deadlock against Oakland. He completed three of four passes and ran for two first downs on that series.

I came to that conclusion again that afternoon when, on third-and-3 with just over two minutes to play, he iced the game by hitting Dwayne Bowe with a 12-yard completion.

"We've got ourselves a pretty good quarterback," said Edwards.

That's as strong a statement as you get from the head coach, but it tells you what he will not: That Tyler Thigpen could be the quarterback the Chiefs envisioned when they drafted Brodie Croyle in 2006. Croyle was supposed to be the Chiefs' quarterback of the future, but those plans have been scrapped because he can't stay healthy.

Thigpen can. He can also win, with last weekend's defeat of Oakland a breakthrough. After close calls against four opponents -- including New Orleans -- he finally demonstrated that he can close a deal, and that's what the Chiefs have been missing the past year and a half.

But that's just the beginning. They rave about Thigpen's mobility. In fact, it was the first quality Edwards ticked off when he listed his quarterback's strengths. Thigpen can throw with accuracy, too, with a string of 161 passes without an interception and a third-down passer-rating higher than those of Brett Favre and Jay Cutler. Plus, he's an outstanding athlete -- the only quarterback in Kansas City history to score a touchdown by running, passing and receiving.

"The question now," said Edwards, "is how will he continue to play and do we want to change the offense? I have to talk to (offensive coordinator) Chan Gailey, but right now I'm thinking we would.

"We changed everything to build the offense around him. It's like we're operating with a three-page notebook, adding a little with each week. Now the question is: Do we stay with this? Because it means you would have to do some things differently, like look at a little different offensive linemen."

The Chiefs have four games to produce an answer, but that they are even considering a change in their offense tells me one thing: They may have found themselves a quarterback.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11149961
Posts: 34,999
DaKCMan AP has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #61
FringeNC FringeNC is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NC
Casino cash: $16114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
These are the current rankings of our opponents for overall NFL defense:

Tampa Bay: 4th. This was the game where we really opened up the playbook, and had better performance from the Offense after the NYJ and two solid weeks of practicing the scheme. The Tampa D however did what a good D is supposed to do; they made adjustments at the half, and shut the Offense down in the 2nd half of the game.

Tennessee: 5th. Doesn't really count, but WTF.

New England: 9th. Again; doesn't count.

Carolina: 11th. No Count.

Buffalo: 12th. Interesting...

Miami: 18th.

New Orleans: 20th.

Atlanta: 22nd. Shits and giggles only; no count.

Cincinnati: 24th.

Oakland: 25th.

San Diego: 27th.

Denver: 28th.

If I'm wrong, and this scheme becomes the Holy of Holies; great. But until I see a 'W' against a top 10 defense, I will NOT be convinced.
And I guess it was because of the offense that we lost to Indy in 2003? You're th type of guy who would claim a pitcher sucks if he had 1.50 ERA and had a losing record because of a league-worst offense. Your argument is a joke.
Posts: 8,185
FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #62
El Jefe El Jefe is offline
Don't tread on me.
 
El Jefe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Where the peaches grow
Casino cash: $10672
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey23545 View Post
You're a ****ing idiot, and can't see shit right in front of your clown face.
. This.
__________________
Urban Meyer: We're going to rotate them right away. We don't redshirt here at Ohio State. We're changing that up. We're going to have the culture out here that there's no redshirting. If you don't play here, it's because you're not good enough. It's not because we're holding you back. We're going to recruit the kind of player where we want them on the field right now. That's the approach we took at Florida, and it's the approach we're going to take here.
Posts: 8,431
El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.El Jefe Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #63
Reerun_KC Reerun_KC is offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawks! KU!!!
 
Reerun_KC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Casino cash: $51280
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringeNC View Post
And I guess it was because of the offense that we lost to Indy in 2003? You're th type of guy who would claim a pitcher sucks if he had 1.50 ERA and had a losing record because of a league-worst offense. Your argument is a joke.
Hey wait one minute FringeNC, Didnt Herm say that we are losing games because of our circus offense as well? That we needed to control the clock and TOP?
Posts: 63,062
Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #64
Sure-Oz Sure-Oz is offline
Stay positive, don't give up
 
Sure-Oz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2001
Casino cash: $19483
The vikings would be worlds better if they had thigpen starting
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
Sure-Oz could ****ing track anyone in the country via Twitter. Dude makes me scared to leave the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
.
Sure-Oz in this mother****er. Resident Tweet master and maligned Royals fan.
Posts: 43,493
Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #65
Hootie Hootie is offline
Banned
 
Hootie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
Wow. Wow wow wow.

Prior to this thread, I thought that overall we had some really good students of the game in here.

Unbelieveable.
Dude...

You're a ****ing idiot.

The offense we're running now is far better and much more effective than the offense that led us to the playoffs in 2006.
Posts: 56,356
Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #66
Hootie Hootie is offline
Banned
 
Hootie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Although i didnt notice it last week,

Thiggy has ran a few plays from behind center. He doesnt take 100% shotgun snaps.
The Tampa Bay game he spent the majority of the first half behind center and we had three straight TD drives.
Posts: 56,356
Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #67
Hootie Hootie is offline
Banned
 
Hootie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyNicky View Post
I can almost guarantee our spread is going to be dogshit without Tony catching 10 balls a game.
Good thing we have Tony then?
Posts: 56,356
Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #68
Sweet Daddy Hate Sweet Daddy Hate is online now
Breakfast of Playa's
 
Sweet Daddy Hate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ABQNM
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FringeNC View Post
And I guess it was because of the offense that we lost to Indy in 2003? You're th type of guy who would claim a pitcher sucks if he had 1.50 ERA and had a losing record because of a league-worst offense. Your argument is a joke.
What the **** does a loss from 2003, with a completely different roster have to with this?

The argument is valid; run this Quasi-Spread against a Top 10, and SHOW ME THE ****ING WIN!!!

__________________
So long, Alex:
Posts: 68,821
Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #69
FringeNC FringeNC is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NC
Casino cash: $16114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC View Post
Hey wait one minute FringeNC, Didnt Herm say that we are losing games because of our circus offense as well? That we needed to control the clock and TOP?
He most certainly did, and all the Herm lover's conveniently ignore that. This offense has only had success because we have scrapped Herm's power running bullshit, and started throwing the ball again.
Posts: 8,185
FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #70
mikey23545 mikey23545 is offline
MVP
 
mikey23545's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $15421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
See my post above; I knew this was the "ace" everyone was going to attempt to pull.
And so ignoring it proves your point?!?!?

Gochiefs, you are such an idiot...
Posts: 12,314
mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.mikey23545 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #71
Sure-Oz Sure-Oz is offline
Stay positive, don't give up
 
Sure-Oz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2001
Casino cash: $19483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
Dude...

You're a ****ing idiot.

The offense we're running now is far better and much more effective than the offense that led us to the playoffs in 2006.
IF we had an average defense we wouldve won most of these games
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
Sure-Oz could ****ing track anyone in the country via Twitter. Dude makes me scared to leave the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezNutz View Post
.
Sure-Oz in this mother****er. Resident Tweet master and maligned Royals fan.
Posts: 43,493
Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Sure-Oz Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #72
Hootie Hootie is offline
Banned
 
Hootie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan View Post
I won't deny that the scheme is working well right now. But the level of play on the part of EVERYONE involved in it needs to up, up, UP Big Time in order to make it work against a Pro Bowl defense.

I'll be plowing through the numbers here shortly, as I want to see how this is truly playing out.
well it's a good thing the Chiefs aren't going to Hawaii to play that pro bowl defense any time soon
Posts: 56,356
Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:32 PM   #73
Reerun_KC Reerun_KC is offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawks! KU!!!
 
Reerun_KC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Casino cash: $51280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
Dude...

You're a ****ing idiot.

The offense we're running now is far better and much more effective than the offense that led us to the playoffs in 2006.
but Hootie, you were so in love with that 2006 offense with Huard at the Helm..

Divorce can be a nasty thing, if you need to talk, I will listen...
Posts: 63,062
Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #74
The Pest The Pest is offline
We ain't stopping! Bury 'em.
 
The Pest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Casino cash: $54114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz View Post
IF we had an average defense we wouldve won most of these games
This.
__________________
Posts: 66,576
The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Pest is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #75
Hootie Hootie is offline
Banned
 
Hootie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Casino cash: $5000
We went to the playoffs in 2006 with an offense half as effective as the one we've ran the last 6 weeks with Thigpen.

This offense has been playoff caliber lately...too bad we have NOTHING on defense.
Posts: 56,356
Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Hootie < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:46 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.