Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 01:02 PM  
ChiefsandO'sfan ChiefsandO'sfan is offline
MVP
 
ChiefsandO'sfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: York PA
Casino cash: $14759
College athletes on their way to a union.


Posts: 17,899
ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.ChiefsandO'sfan threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #151
Chief Roundup Chief Roundup is offline
Admitted Planet Junky
 
Chief Roundup's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Moving state to state
Casino cash: $21727
If they start paying college athletes then the NCAA should remove all scholarships for sports programs.
__________________
Adopt a Chief for 2017, 2018, 2019 Patrick Mahomes II
Posts: 11,383
Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Chief Roundup is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #152
13and3 13and3 is offline
R8R H8R
 
13and3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Casino cash: $6127
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Holy shit. Where did this retard 13and3 come from?
You have no good argument against anything I am saying so you have to resort to name calling. It reflects the fact I have a valid argument and the truth stings so hard. This happens when you cut through all the bullshit people like to hide behind and get into some real emotional and psychological answers. Its called striking a nerve.
Posts: 465
13and3 has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #153
TEX TEX is offline
I SURVIVED Herm, Scott & Matt!
 
TEX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Casino cash: $23227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
If they start paying college athletes then the NCAA should remove all scholarships for sports programs.
If they form a union, and are viewed as "employees" the athletes very well could be taxed on the value of their education as well as their monetary compensation. They will get the good with the bad. I think this is a classic case of, "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it"...
__________________
Welcome to the National FIXED League...
Posts: 20,379
TEX has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #154
13and3 13and3 is offline
R8R H8R
 
13and3's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Casino cash: $6127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
You don't usually find many NBA fans in a market where there is no NBA team.
Good point. I was just trying to say if everyone who loves KU basketball or other college sports so much and adores it players, why don't they continue to follow them throughout their careers. Are they not the same kids who played for the love of the game earlier in their lives. Once they become millionaires, or graduate and continue their careers in the communications field who gives a shit about them?
Posts: 465
13and3 has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #155
-King- -King- is offline
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓
 
-King-'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Casino cash: $35843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bull View Post
So why would these kids want to go to a high priced school that, on their academic merits, they couldn't get into in the first place?

They have that choice?

Personally it pisses me off that, because of their athletic ability, they are letting substandard students in and turning down qualified, yet not spectacular, students who want to be there for the education.
An athlete getting an ATHLETIC scholarship has nothing to do with any other student being rejected.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 47,488
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #156
TEX TEX is offline
I SURVIVED Herm, Scott & Matt!
 
TEX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Casino cash: $23227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13and3 View Post
You have no good argument against anything I am saying so you have to resort to name calling. It reflects the fact I have a valid argument and the truth stings so hard. This happens when you cut through all the bullshit people like to hide behind and get into some real emotional and psychological answers. Its called striking a nerve.
No it doesn't. It could mean he thinks you're full of it and doesnt want to **** with presenting what you deem to be a valid argument...

I do it all the time here because there are so many idiots. People do it to me too. Just part of the deal...
__________________
Welcome to the National FIXED League...
Posts: 20,379
TEX has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #157
Gonzo Gonzo is offline
Stuff & Things
 
Gonzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Yukon
Casino cash: $127024
This is why China is winning.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I loved the guy on top of the pole starting at around 3:15.
Posts: 21,498
Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Gonzo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #158
FRCDFED FRCDFED is offline
Line'em up
 
FRCDFED's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: somewhere out there
Casino cash: $6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX View Post
If they form a union, and are viewed as "employees" the athletes very well could be taxed on the value of their education as well as their monetary compensation. They will get the good with the bad. I think this is a classic case of, "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it"...
Once scholarships are pulled and athletes expect to get paid then the question remains........How many colleges are going to start expecting athletes to actually get passing grades in the classroom without any extra-curricular help? Thereby making many (not all) of the athletes academically ineligible to play for the school?
Posts: 3,044
FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #159
Jimmya Jimmya is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Casino cash: $14630
It could jack the athletes up because many schools will not let them in if they don't meet the guidelines to get in.
Posts: 2,455
Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Jimmya must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #160
Xanathol Xanathol is offline
Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Casino cash: $8891
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
I can assure you Mizzou is not actually in the red because of football. If you don't believe me, give them the death penalty and see if that affects the university's endowment any. Colleges are not struggling to make ends meet because of football. And lots and lots of people except athletes are profiting off these players.

Athletes have major restrictions on the kinds of jobs they can get and how much they are paid, and the amount of work and time that goes into football makes that even harder to do.

I think it's silly to claim that college football players should stop playing the game if they don't like the rules. What rules? We are talking about a nonprofit sport that doesn't pay their employees, and then has masses of people profiting off their work. This conversation wouldn't be happening if there weren't people abusing the privilege of getting these players to work for free (and yes, I get that "free" includes tuition and basic expenses).
1. Re-read the numbers again please - Mizzou's athletic department was in the red for 2012. That is not debatable. ~$16M in the hole.

You are getting lost in the football numbers but ignoring the sports that are nothing but money pits ( almost everything else ). So when you say 'lots and lots of people are profiting off these players', only in the sense that (a) coaches & ADs get paid and (b) TV gets theirs... and always will. TV is a yin & yang thing - without it, the program isn't taking in the money that it is. Coaches and ADs... are you going to say they don't deserve to get paid?!?

2. Being a former collegiate athlete, I can firmly attest that you are overstating the restrictions on employment. The jobs are approved & monitored to make sure some work is getting done, but the pay is very good and the labor is usually minimized ( ie. 'cushy' jobs ).

3. So 'fair pay' isn't silly but participating in a market by choosing where to work is?

Student athletes are compensated with the best scholarships in the country. Low GPA requirements, tuition paid, housing paid, food paid, some miscellaneous campus items paid ( on campus card program for extra meals or bookstore supplies ), loaner books, setup with a well paying summer job, free tutoring, free continuing education for your bachelor if you leave early for the NFL, free health care via personal training staff, and if they make a bowl game, free gifts such as shopping sprees, TVs, $400 headphones, MP3 players, and video game systems.

Yeah... they are sooooo taken advantage of...

But obviously, suggesting that if they don't like those accommodations that they can pursue the Arena league, Canadian league, SemiPro league or special exemption to enter the NFL early, that's just crazy talk!
Posts: 667
Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #161
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Forever Royal
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $1400
People need to stop citing the full ride scholarships as some great benefit that should keep the students happy and grateful. The "free" education they receive can be taken away at any time because of their abilities on the field or not complying with some other ridiculous rule. As far as I know, none of them are guaranteed a free, four year education (perhaps some are?). That argument that it is adequate "compensation" is ridiculous since there is no guarantee that they will all get a free education since it is dependent upon their athletics.

Also, we know they spend a ton of time on the field practicing basically year round. Some of them probably don't care about their major because they intend to go pro, but plenty of them would surely choose a more difficult major if given the time to actually do the work and learn it at an adequate level.
Posts: 14,103
mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #162
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Forever Royal
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $1400
"You get a free, full ride, four year scholarship. But it is only for a year at a time. Oh, and make sure you don't get injured either!"
Posts: 14,103
mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #163
J Diddy J Diddy is offline
One Groovy Cat
 
J Diddy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Pitt State baby
Casino cash: $27292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. tegu View Post
People need to stop citing the full ride scholarships as some great benefit that should keep the students happy and grateful. The "free" education they receive can be taken away at any time because of their abilities on the field or not complying with some other ridiculous rule. As far as I know, none of them are guaranteed a free, four year education (perhaps some are?). That argument that it is adequate "compensation" is ridiculous since there is no guarantee that they will all get a free education since it is dependent upon their athletics.

Also, we know they spend a ton of time on the field practicing basically year round. Some of them probably don't care about their major because they intend to go pro, but plenty of them would surely choose a more difficult major if given the time to actually do the work and learn it at an adequate level.
So I'm supposed to give 3 shits about some guy who works out year round instead of studying? College is a place for learning, athletics should be included as extracurricular to benefit that student. In terms of pulling scholarships, if they don't do the work they get fired? Sounds like a job to me.

Furthermore, how many brain dead dumb ass athletes do you see on TV after going pro? Would they be able to go pro if they don't attend college? Seems like their whole purpose of going in the first place is to get exposure to a professional league. Isn't that a form of payment as well? It's a freaking tryout to the league.
Posts: 32,202
J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #164
LoneWolf LoneWolf is offline
BAMF
 
LoneWolf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita
Casino cash: $11184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13and3 View Post
You have no good argument against anything I am saying so you have to resort to name calling. It reflects the fact I have a valid argument and the truth stings so hard. This happens when you cut through all the bullshit people like to hide behind and get into some real emotional and psychological answers. Its called striking a nerve.
Your argument is complete bullshit. You basically stated that the majority of college sports fans are priveledged white people who don't want to see the poor black athlete make money so that these white people can continue to look down on these athletes and feel some sort of superiority to them.

You also said the majority of black college athletes would be in prison or dead if they didn't have the ability to play ball. I knew many black athletes when I went to college and I guarantee you that many of them are smarter than you and had aspirations outside of sports.

Your argument about how most college basketball fans don't like the NBA and that this is because the NBA looks thuggish with all the tatted up players and also that they are getting paid millions of dollars is rubbish. Personally, I don't like the NBA because they don't play basketball the way I like to see it played. Too much of 4 players standing around while one player goes one on one against a defender. I never think about what a certain player is making or concern myself with how many tattoos they have or if they have dreadlocks or not.

Please feel free to continue on with your blatant stupidity though. It has been mildly entertaining.
__________________
2017 Adopt-A-Chief--Eric Berry
Posts: 10,893
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #165
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Forever Royal
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bull View Post
So I'm supposed to give 3 shits about some guy who works out year round instead of studying? College is a place for learning, athletics should be included as extracurricular to benefit that student. In terms of pulling scholarships, if they don't do the work they get fired? Sounds like a job to me.

Furthermore, how many brain dead dumb ass athletes do you see on TV after going pro? Would they be able to go pro if they don't attend college? Seems like their whole purpose of going in the first place is to get exposure to a professional league. Isn't that a form of payment as well? It's a freaking tryout to the league.
You should re-read my post. This time actually read it. Also, quit focusing solely on the small percentage who are there only to go pro.
Posts: 14,103
mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.