Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Washington DC and The Holy Land

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 08:14 PM  
petegz28 petegz28 is offline
Supporter
 
petegz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Olathe, Ks
Casino cash: $74227
Welcome to the new media....

This is the problem with the media today. These headlines came from 2 financial news outlets.

CNBC:
Dow closes more than 200 points lower after Trump taunts Russia

Barron's:
After the Bell: Dow Drops 220 Points as Fed Frightens Markets


If you look at an intraday chart you can see that the market did open down 200+ on fears of a Syria attack. Well after the Trump-tweet, the SP500 had pretty much recovered all of the losses and the Nasdaq had actually moved into positive territory. Then the minutes of the Federal Reserve meeting were released in the afternoon and the market sold off again.


It's rather ironic too because if you WATCH CNBC during the day, they actually do a fine job of keeping the gossipy politics out of it and they focus on the market. I really have come to like watching them again.

Nonetheless, this is a classic example of 2 outlets reporting the same story. One actually using accurate facts and one apparently trying to push a particular bias.
Posts: 96,601
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
Chiefshrink Chiefshrink is offline
Admit it KC...You love me now!
 
Chiefshrink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: donkey land
Casino cash: $18001
It is both with the lean going to the unrest in the ME as to what Trump will or will not do. Markets don't like too much unrest in the ME. Markets expect interest rate hikes at some point.
__________________
"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

'Progressivism' is nothing more than a dressed up co-opted term for 'Marxism'.
Posts: 20,024
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
petegz28 petegz28 is offline
Supporter
 
petegz28's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Olathe, Ks
Casino cash: $74227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
It is both with the lean going to the unrest in the ME as to what Trump will or will not do. Markets don't like too much unrest in the ME. Markets expect interest rate hikes at some point.
Let me repeat, the market had recovered all of the losses initially made by Syria. Then the Fed Minutes were released and the market sold off. You can see this plainly in any intra-day chart.

While I generally agree with you, the fact is, the market was down at the end of the day because of the Fed. Had the minutes not been so hawkish on raising rates the market most likely finishes down or flat. Now I will cede that had Syria not been in play perhaps the hawkish news doesn't have quite the negative impact as it did.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Zach| View Post
All kinds of people vote. Not enough of those people think highly enough of Trump to make him President but all kinds of people vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
So, if they were polling better than Trump and the primary goal was to prevent Hillary from becoming POTUS, perhaps it would have been a better strategic decision to nominate someone who actually had a chance of beating her and preventing that than nominating Donald Trump.
Posts: 96,601
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #4
banecat banecat is offline
Warped Nihilist
 
banecat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: WI, MO, WA, TX, now KS
Casino cash: $500
CNBC has been really good as the other networks have gone downhill. They barely mentioned Trump until the tariff business started becoming news
Posts: 3,144
banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.banecat has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
petegz28 petegz28 is offline
Supporter
 
petegz28's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Olathe, Ks
Casino cash: $74227
Quote:
Originally Posted by banecat View Post
CNBC has been really good as the other networks have gone downhill. They barely mentioned Trump until the tariff business started becoming news
Even then it wasn't so much in a political sense but an economic one. Their television and print differ greatly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Zach| View Post
All kinds of people vote. Not enough of those people think highly enough of Trump to make him President but all kinds of people vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
So, if they were polling better than Trump and the primary goal was to prevent Hillary from becoming POTUS, perhaps it would have been a better strategic decision to nominate someone who actually had a chance of beating her and preventing that than nominating Donald Trump.
Posts: 96,601
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.