Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 PM  
DaFace DaFace is offline
Kind of a mod
 
DaFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $26984
Mellinger: Marcus Peters is gone. The Chiefs have some explaining to do.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt...201907719.html

Marcus Peters is gone. The Chiefs have some explaining to do.

BY SAM MELLINGER
smellinger@kcstar.com
February 23, 2018 07:27 PM

Clark Hunt, Andy Reid and Brett Veach deserve an opportunity to explain, because as it stands right now they have cloaked their franchise with failure.

That word is not used without thought. That word is not used without intent.

The Chiefs on Friday agreed to trade Marcus Peters to the Rams, reportedly for draft picks. Without hearing from the men who made this decision, the explanation that makes the most sense is one lacking in guts, ambition, commitment to success, and realism.

A difficult situation presents itself, and the Chiefs hit the eject button.

Starting with Reid being hired and paid more than any NFL coach who has not won a Super Bowl, the Chiefs have branded themselves as a place for second chances, where strong personalities are welcomed and supported.

Here, then, they failed with their strongest-willed and one of their best players. This was supposed to be their edge. Let players show their personalities. Get the most out of them. Except with Peters, the Chiefs failed to do it, apparently allowing the situation to become so untenable they traded him without a strong market of interest.

Again, Hunt, Reid, and Veach should be allowed to explain. This has all the markings of the Chiefs pushing Peters out, but there is always a chance the trade return was so overwhelming the Chiefs couldn’t resist. So these words are an initial reaction, not the final judgment. Still, the following is true:

Peters plays one of the most important non-quarterback positions in football, creates more turnovers than anyone else in the league, and just turned 25 in January with a year left on his rookie deal plus up to three more years of club control.

And he’s gone. For what?

The Chiefs traded a cheap, young star at a premium position despite the limited leverage of just two teams interested.

Why?

For draft picks? So they have an opportunity to select Peters’ replacement? That’s not the action of a successful franchise.

That’s the action of a franchise with more blown leads than wins in playoff games.

One more time, maybe there is a better and more sensible explanation, but here’s what it looks like at the moment: Hunt, who cowered when given the opportunity to stand up for his players’ rights last fall, wanted the headache gone.

He has been outspoken about wanting players to stand for the anthem, and talked Peters into staying in the locker room for the song. Hunt is a conservative man by nature, and it’s not a stretch to believe he wanted one of the NFL’s least conservative players off his team.

Because the other explanations don’t make as much sense.

The Chiefs want you to believe they are serious about winning and just traded one of their best players.

The Chiefs are trying to get younger and just traded a 25-year-old star.

The Chiefs’ secondary was awful last year and they just dumped (by far) their best cornerback.

The Chiefs retained a defensive coordinator who was exposed in 2017, deciding it was more about a lack of talent, and just shipped off one of the league’s most productive and dangerous defenders.

The Chiefs’ defense emphasizes creating turnovers, and they just traded the man who has created more turnovers than anyone else since he entered the league.

The Chiefs, in other words, have a disconnected vision of their future, or no serious expectations of success this season, or both.


Peters is not without his faults. Obviously. He is hyper competitive, which is his greatest strength right until the moment it becomes his greatest flaw. You don’t know when he’ll draw a personal foul, but you can expect at least a few every season.

Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters has lost his cool or done something that has resulted in a fine several times during the 2017 season. Neil Nakahodo, Pete Grathoff, David EulittThe Kansas City Star

Reid is by reputation one of the league’s great players’ coaches, and along with Terrell Owens, Peters is one of just two players Reid has suspended in 19 years. Peters’ protests during the national anthem angered a loud portion of the Chiefs’ fan base, and despite handing out turkeys and coats in Kansas City last year, the drama was never going fully away.

There is little doubt he was unhappy in Kansas City. Some of this was inevitable, because the player and his adopted home were so different. Peters could have asked to be traded, but his only leverage was a threat to sit out (which would mean not being paid, and not accruing service time toward free agency) or to not sign an extension (but the Chiefs could’ve controlled him for up to four more seasons).

The Chiefs were not against the clock here. They had time on their side.

The Chiefs could have supported the player, could have worked with the player. They could have found common ground. They could have defended the player against unfair public criticism, if that’s what it took.

Good organizations do that. The Chiefs traded the player. Organizations whose last Super Bowl appearance is old enough to be a grandfather do that.

One more time for the people in the back: Hunt, Reid, and Veach deserve the opportunity to explain. Chiefs fans deserve that, too. Maybe there is something that brings it all together.

But at the moment, only two explanations come to mind that make more sense than Hunt wanting the player out.

The first is that Peters had somehow become such a problem that he was breaking the locker room, and the organization made the advance decision to deal him now before he made more money and his trade value slipped.

That would have to account for the Chiefs players upset by the trade, require something much worse than what’s known so far, and be a tacit admission of failure by a coach hired in part because of his ability to get the best out of strong personalities.

The second apparent explanation would be that the Chiefs are fully embracing a rebuild, and selling off all valuable parts while they reset around quarterback Patrick Mahomes. If that’s the case, then more big trades should be expected.

There are varied holes in this logic, too, from the Chiefs having a good roster already to the NFL’s established history of teams winning with quarterbacks on rookie contracts.

But, at least it would be something.

At least it would be something that didn’t leave the sinking suspicion that the Chiefs just caved to the ugliest parts of their fan base and the weakest part of human nature by avoiding discomfort even as it sets them back competitively.
Posts: 37,148
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 PM   #106
Chiefnj2 Chiefnj2 is offline
In Search of a Life
 
Chiefnj2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Casino cash: $23913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
If there wasn’t a strong market of interest for a pro bowl shutdown corner, that tells you something in itself.
.
Why do you believe every rumor the tam is leaking today?
__________________
Mismanaging the clock.
Posts: 20,629
Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.Chiefnj2 threw an interception on a screen pass.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:00 PM   #107
cdcox cdcox is offline
www.nfl-forecast.com
 
cdcox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Casino cash: $31869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
Quite the bigoted assumption here. I don't make any distinction whether I use the full term "neighborhood" or "hood" but you do and why you are the real bigot here who tries to play victim.
Yeah, I'm sure you make no distinction between hood and neighborhood in your everyday speech. Everybody believes this.
Posts: 38,486
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #108
cdcox cdcox is offline
www.nfl-forecast.com
 
cdcox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Casino cash: $31869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
BTW Zimmerman is Latino a minority if you didn't know already.
You went there? Buy a clue. Please.
Posts: 38,486
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #109
Chiefshrink Chiefshrink is offline
Admit it KC...You love me now!
 
Chiefshrink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: donkey land
Casino cash: $18001
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoworms View Post


Yeah, I'm sure you make no distinction between hood and neighborhood in your everyday speech. Everybody believes this.
There you go again ! See in your worldview only minorities can come from the so called "hood" as you define it and never are bigots(which is just not true!). Only whites can be bigots in your "bigoted world".
__________________
"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

'Progressivism' is nothing more than a dressed up co-opted term for 'Marxism'.
Posts: 20,079
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #110
cdcox cdcox is offline
www.nfl-forecast.com
 
cdcox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Casino cash: $31869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
There you go again ! See in your worldview only minorities can come from the so called "hood" as you define it and never are bigots(which is just not true!). Only whites can be bigots in your "bigoted world".
I don't use "hood" for anybody.
Posts: 38,486
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 PM   #111
Chiefshrink Chiefshrink is offline
Admit it KC...You love me now!
 
Chiefshrink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: donkey land
Casino cash: $18001
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoworms View Post
You went there? Buy a clue. Please.
No. You went there just mentioning his name. Because like the media tried to do back when all this was happening, the media pimped his name 'immediately' because his name sounded 'caucasian' never telling the public he was hispanic 'initially' or ever alluded to it the whole time hoping to make this into a bigoted ethnic/racist reason as to why GZ defended himself after being jumped from behind.

You did the same here mentioning GZ.
__________________
"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

'Progressivism' is nothing more than a dressed up co-opted term for 'Marxism'.
Posts: 20,079
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:17 PM   #112
Chiefshrink Chiefshrink is offline
Admit it KC...You love me now!
 
Chiefshrink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: donkey land
Casino cash: $18001
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoworms View Post
I don't use "hood" for anybody.
Yes, I'm sure you don't. Your self-righteous pomposity here oozes Progressive Lefty for sure.
__________________
"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

'Progressivism' is nothing more than a dressed up co-opted term for 'Marxism'.
Posts: 20,079
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 PM   #113
Easy 6 Easy 6 is offline
pie is never free
 
Easy 6's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: the drivers seat
Casino cash: $57875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claysexual View Post
Man get the **** outta' here with that shit. All I SEE are a bunch of speculative clowns who are idiotically rejoicing over the loss of our best defender. And what Peters did, by comparison to some other players in this league was MILD.

Unless this compensation nets us a game-changer? This was an absolutely idiotic move by the Churfs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
I dont really care if he didn't want to be here after he fulfilled his obligations.

The pieces were falling into place for the Chiefs. You have 2 years left on the cheap from one of the best corners in the game. You just traded Alex Smith to start the Mahomes era and not only that, but you filled one of your holes and got back a much needed CB opposite of Peters. Then you go and trade Peters... what?

One step forward and two steps back.

Fuller put up great numbers... in nickel. Now you are asking him to be a #1 while simultaneously asking him to replace a guy who created the most turnovers and 2nd lowest passer rating since entering the league.

It just begs the question of why?
Man I sure dont have every answer, but if things were even half as bad as they sound with Peters... you HAVE to wonder whats going on, furthermore how can anyone dismiss the chaos he brings?

If its all just a buncha overhyped nonsense, I'd be more than willing to entertain it... but just show me instead of preaching at me
Posts: 57,155
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:33 PM   #114
cdcox cdcox is offline
www.nfl-forecast.com
 
cdcox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Casino cash: $31869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
No. You went there just mentioning his name. Because like the media tried to do back when all this was happening, the media pimped his name 'immediately' because his name sounded 'caucasian' never telling the public he was hispanic 'initially' or ever alluded to it the whole time hoping to make this into a bigoted ethnic/racist reason as to why GZ defended himself after being jumped from behind.

You did the same here mentioning GZ.
Everyone past day one knows that Zimmerman is Hispanic. And you still don't get it. You played the "some of my best friends are____" card. Pro tip: don't. Ever.
Posts: 38,486
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #115
Chiefshrink Chiefshrink is offline
Admit it KC...You love me now!
 
Chiefshrink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: donkey land
Casino cash: $18001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
The pieces were falling into place for the Chiefs.
Not trying to you here but the pieces only fall into place IF MP exhibited EB type character. He did not and he only got more dramatic/chaotic on and off the field as time went on. More meltdowns on the field at the worst times happening more and more as time went on.

Now is the best time to trade because how can you trust this kid not to have more meltdowns and then try to trade him next year to a team that now has to pony up big $$ for a talented BUT Diva type player? You want the team you are trading to be 'incented' by the rookie contract with a year or more remaining so they get him cheap and have the chance to cut bait IF he doesn't work out for them. You can't do that in his 5th year and expect to get more value in better picks.
__________________
"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

'Progressivism' is nothing more than a dressed up co-opted term for 'Marxism'.
Posts: 20,079
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #116
Chiefshrink Chiefshrink is offline
Admit it KC...You love me now!
 
Chiefshrink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: donkey land
Casino cash: $18001
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoworms View Post
Everyone past day one knows that Zimmerman is Hispanic. And you still don't get it. You played the "some of my best friends are____" card. Pro tip: don't. Ever.
Wrong. The majority media went out of their way to never focus on the fact GZ was hispanic, in hopes to flame the "white bigoted fires". Oh yes I totally get it and will not be "Jesse Sharptoned" by you and your Alinsky bigoted definitions and assumptions and words mean what you say they mean.
__________________
"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

'Progressivism' is nothing more than a dressed up co-opted term for 'Marxism'.
Posts: 20,079
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0  
Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 PM   #117
Bewbies Bewbies is offline
Ith Fuhtbawl Time
 
Bewbies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Casino cash: $15704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
Wrong. The majority media went out of their way to never focus on the fact GZ was hispanic, in hopes to flame the "white bigoted fires". Oh yes I totally get it and will not be "Jesse Sharptoned" by you and your Alinsky bigoted definitions and assumptions and words mean what you say they mean.
If you were this dumb but black Marcus Peters would still be our #1 CB. This shit is your fault, honkey.
Posts: 9,469
Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1  
Old 02-24-2018, 12:00 AM   #118
Chiefshrink Chiefshrink is offline
Admit it KC...You love me now!
 
Chiefshrink's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: donkey land
Casino cash: $18001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewbies View Post
If you were this dumb but black Marcus Peters would still be our #1 CB. This shit is your fault, honkey.
Not with his Trayvon Martin behavior he wouldn't be.

It is spelled "honky" btw.
__________________
"All real Americans love the sting of battle and may God have mercy on my enemies because I wont".

'Progressivism' is nothing more than a dressed up co-opted term for 'Marxism'.
Posts: 20,079
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0  
Old 02-24-2018, 12:06 AM   #119
Bewbies Bewbies is offline
Ith Fuhtbawl Time
 
Bewbies's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Casino cash: $15704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink View Post
Not with his Trayvon Martin behavior he wouldn't be.

It is spelled "honky" btw.
Only a white guy is concerned about the spelling of honkey.

And honestly, calling something "Travon Martin behavior" is a losing argument 100% of the time. Forever. And always.

Whether or not you think he was innocent, he was killed. And no 17 year old deserves that.
Posts: 9,469
Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.Bewbies threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1  
Old 02-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #120
DaFace DaFace is offline
Kind of a mod
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $26984
Guys, keep the DC-level shit out of here. Please.
Posts: 37,148
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.