Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Royal Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2004, 04:34 PM  
KC Jones KC Jones is offline
Genious
 
KC Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Colorado
Casino cash: $6417
Help - I've got a debt collector on me for insurance benefits!

Here's the story:

I changed jobs and consequently health insurance. Today we get a letter in the mail from a debt collection agency wanting to come after us for some $230. Turns out my silly wife used the old card to fill some prescriptions back in June. My old company forgot to cancel my health insurance (and 401k and tons of other stuff but that's another story).

I never heard of anything like this before and the old insurance company didn't even try to contact us about it - they went straight to the collection agency. So am I on the line here? I think my new insurance would've covered it but now it may be too late - I'll have to check into it. I just can't help feeling like it's my old companies fault. They've made everything a real pain in the ass - I had to wait right up until the deadline to roll my 401k because they had me as a current employee.

Anyone have any good ideas how to handle this?

I'm guessing I don't have too many options other than talking to my new insurance company and paying the old one.
Posts: 5,335
KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Bob Dole Bob Dole is offline
King Shit of **** Mountain
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Casino cash: $11984
If your old company was still paying your premiums, how the hell can it be considered any sort of debt?

What a ****ing mess. Now you get to worry about crap that isn't even a debt showing up as a negative on your credit report.
Posts: 32,315
Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.Bob Dole is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Phobia Phobia is offline
Together is Powerful
 
Phobia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: KCMO
Casino cash: $5147
I would put your old insurance company in touch with whomever covered you at the time of the accidental charges. If they want their money, they'll resolve it with them. If they don't, they'll blow it off. But, you'll probably always have a collection agency on your ass. They want 50% of that $230.
Posts: 55,733
Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
Mosbonian Mosbonian is offline
On Hiatus
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $0
KC:

Depeding upon which state you live in, you might have a small out. Some states require that the company is required to show that they made some attemtp to collect the debt before turning you over to collection.

Ask your collection agency to provide copies of any documentation showing where their client made any attempt to contact you to allow you to cure the debt. If they will not, you might want to find out if your state requires prior notice (normally called a 10 Day Demand letter) to you before forwarding to an outside agency.

Do a little homework and you might get lucky and find out that they have erred in how they handled this.

mmaddog
*******
Posts: 8,567
Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Mosbonian Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
memyselfI memyselfI is offline
CHANGEd your mind yet????
 
memyselfI's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lunatics Anonymous
Casino cash: $5329
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Jones
Here's the story:

I changed jobs and consequently health insurance. Today we get a letter in the mail from a debt collection agency wanting to come after us for some $230. Turns out my silly wife used the old card to fill some prescriptions back in June. My old company forgot to cancel my health insurance (and 401k and tons of other stuff but that's another story).

I never heard of anything like this before and the old insurance company didn't even try to contact us about it - they went straight to the collection agency. So am I on the line here? I think my new insurance would've covered it but now it may be too late - I'll have to check into it. I just can't help feeling like it's my old companies fault. They've made everything a real pain in the ass - I had to wait right up until the deadline to roll my 401k because they had me as a current employee.

Anyone have any good ideas how to handle this?


I'm guessing I don't have too many options other than talking to my new insurance company and paying the old one.

Based on previous HR experience I've had I suggest this:

You send a cease and desist letter to the creditor. You are not obliged by law to deal with them but you need to inform them that you refuse to do so and they MUST stop harrassing you. Here is a good link regarding C&D. For a good form letter you can use try:

http://www.ihatedebt.com/Cease_and_D...ollectors.html

Then get in touch with the HR department of your old company. Receive from them a letter stating their cancel date of your old policy. Do not let them supply you with the last day of your employment if you have proof or some knowledge that they kept you on the insurance post that day. After you receive that send it to the new insurance company AND all medical entities making claims against you.

Basically your old employer is on the hook for this and what you are proving is that you 1. had the coverage and 2. are notifying those involved of where the responsibility to pay lies. If your name was on the insured list and premiums were paid then you had coverage whether you or the employer were aware of this or not.

It sounds like you were given a few months of free COBRA (that is how your old company will process this internally) and you are NOT responsible for the bill.

Good luck.
__________________
Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

BigChiefDave:"Anyone who thought we would only be in Iraq for a few years is either stoned or just stoopid."
"It is unknowable how long that conflict will last. It could last 6 days, 6 wks. I doubt 6 mths." Rummy 2/7/03

Last edited by memyselfI; 11-27-2004 at 04:59 PM..
Posts: 31,989
memyselfI has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
KC Jones KC Jones is offline
Genious
 
KC Jones's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Colorado
Casino cash: $6417
Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfI
Based on previous HR experience I've had I suggest this:

You send a cease and desist letter to the creditor. You are not obliged by law to deal with them but you need to inform them that you refuse to do so and they MUST stop harrassing you. Here is a good link regarding C&D. For a good form letter you can use try:

http://www.ihatedebt.com/Cease_and_D...ollectors.html

Then get in touch with the HR department of your old company. Receive from them a letter stating their cancel date of your old policy. Do not let them supply you with the last day of your employment if you have proof or some knowledge that they kept you on the insurance post that day. After you receive that send it to the new insurance company AND all medical entities making claims against you.

Basically your old employer is on the hook for this and what you are proving is that you 1. had the coverage and 2. are notifying those involved of where the responsibility to pay lies. If your name was on the insured list and premiums were paid then you had coverage whether you or the employer were aware of this or not.

It sounds like you were given a few months of free COBRA (that is how your old company will process this internally) and you are NOT responsible for the bill.

Good luck.
Thanks!
__________________
re-sign: to sign again
resign: to withdraw from employment
Posts: 5,335
KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.KC Jones must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Brando Brando is offline
Swiss Family GRobinson
 
Brando's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Casino cash: $6659
You don't even have to waste your time writing the C&D letter. You can call them if it is within the first 30 days of receiving the letter and tell them that you are disputing the charges. They then be Federal Law have to give you 30 days to work out the dispute.
__________________
But then again I'm drunk and from Syracuse.
Posts: 2,774
Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.Brando would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:26 PM   #8
memyselfI memyselfI is offline
CHANGEd your mind yet????
 
memyselfI's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lunatics Anonymous
Casino cash: $5329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando
You don't even have to waste your time writing the C&D letter. You can call them if it is within the first 30 days of receiving the letter and tell them that you are disputing the charges. They then be Federal Law have to give you 30 days to work out the dispute.
The letter is good to have for 1. proof of request and 2.your records incase this shows up on your credit report later on. Forgot to mention, send the letter certified return receipt.
__________________
Meet the new boss same as the old boss.

BigChiefDave:"Anyone who thought we would only be in Iraq for a few years is either stoned or just stoopid."
"It is unknowable how long that conflict will last. It could last 6 days, 6 wks. I doubt 6 mths." Rummy 2/7/03
Posts: 31,989
memyselfI has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.