Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2005, 10:35 AM  
Wile_E_Coyote Wile_E_Coyote is offline
avatar down for remodel
 
Wile_E_Coyote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Casino cash: $5000
some Surtain from the Miami Herald

I don't think he likes playing in cold weather...

Colts interested in Surtain


BY JASON COLE AND ARMANDO SALGUERO

jcole@herald.com

Indianapolis might quickly emerge as the leading contender for Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain, but that doesn't mean Colts running back Edgerrin James will be the bait.

According to two sources, Surtain is interested in playing for the Colts, and Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning is interested in having Surtain play there as well.

''It's early in the process, but I think there's a lot of interest in making that happen,'' a source said. ``The Colts have the cap room and the need, no question.''

There are a number of other teams expected to be interested, including Cleveland. The only teams Surtain will not play for are Green Bay and Minnesota, another source said.

The Colts are expected to have approximately $20 million in salary cap space by the start of the league year (March 1). That cap space will allow the team to put the ''franchise'' tag on James (worth approximately $8.2 million) to keep him for another year and still give them about $12 million for free agency.

In short, the Colts will be able to keep James and still trade for Surtain.

The Dolphins are expected to want draft picks in return for Surtain rather than acquire James, whose contract demands will be similar to Surtain's. While James wants to play in South Florida, he also wants a signing bonus of approximately $14 million for a contract extension.

The Dolphins are shopping Surtain, who is scheduled to cost more than $8.3 million, because he also wants a contract with a signing bonus of about $14 million.
Posts: 6,009
Wile_E_Coyote is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Wile_E_Coyote is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Bowser Bowser is offline
Eff an A, Cotton
 
Bowser's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: KC North
Casino cash: $230000
Whoa, whoa, whoa!! How in the hell do the Colts have 20 mil of cap room with the deals that Manning and Harrison received??

Now, the obligatory WHY THE **** AREN'T WE ABLE TO DO THAT question.
Posts: 71,114
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
eazyb81 eazyb81 is offline
The Illuminati
 
eazyb81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: the road less traveled
Casino cash: $5000
How can the Colts be that far under the cap after the huge contracts they gave Peyton and Marvin Harrison? Seriously, $20 mill under the cap? I don't think that is right.
Posts: 12,033
eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Wile_E_Coyote Wile_E_Coyote is offline
avatar down for remodel
 
Wile_E_Coyote's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Casino cash: $5000
I think they have a bunch of FAs, Chiefs do not
Posts: 6,009
Wile_E_Coyote is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Wile_E_Coyote is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
LiL stumppy LiL stumppy is offline
62-21
 
LiL stumppy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Casino cash: $13784
The marvin contract wordked out wierd si it didnt take as much money away as it sounded
__________________
I'm just cakn partna
Posts: 4,356
LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.LiL stumppy must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
Mr. Laz Mr. Laz is offline
Don't Tease Me
 
Mr. Laz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: KS
Casino cash: $1047137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser
Now, the obligatory WHY THE **** AREN'T WE ABLE TO DO THAT question.
answer ....

because we CHOOSE not to do that, it cuts back on profits
__________________
Posts: 95,626
Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
Single Malt CP, Aged 18 Years
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8859
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarASS
answer ....

because we CHOOSE not to do that, it cuts back on profits
The cap has NOTHING to do with profits and you know it.
__________________
"Itís more complicated than that." -- Andy Reid
Posts: 66,961
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
Mr. Laz Mr. Laz is offline
Don't Tease Me
 
Mr. Laz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: KS
Casino cash: $1047137
Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe
The cap has NOTHING to do with profits and you know it.
your right and that's precisely my point


people look at the colts and say "how can they have any cap room"?


because the colts CHOOSE to stretch the cap ... it saves them cap room, but cost them profits.


we choose NOT to stretch the cap as much as other teams ... because it gets us more profits.


that's why it seems like other teams always have more cap room then us and while we are always "tight against the cap"
__________________
Posts: 95,626
Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #9
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
Single Malt CP, Aged 18 Years
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8859
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarASS
your right and that's precisely my point


people look at the colts and say "how can they have any cap room"?


because the colts CHOOSE to stretch the cap ... it saves them cap room, but cost them profits.


we choose NOT to stretch the cap as much as other teams ... because it gets us more profits.


that's why it seems like other teams always have more cap room then us and while we are always "tight against the cap"
I'm not sure that's 100% the case, but I see your point.

We'd rather tie guys up with base salary than pay them huge signing bonuses. That's true.

But we're also one of the worst in the league at these stupid $10M+ roster bonuses (Grbac, Holliday), which eat up cap AND profits.
__________________
"Itís more complicated than that." -- Andy Reid
Posts: 66,961
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
The Bad Guy The Bad Guy is offline
Scott Pioli
 
The Bad Guy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Copacobana
Casino cash: $13745
Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe
I'm not sure that's 100% the case, but I see your point.

We'd rather tie guys up with base salary than pay them huge signing bonuses. That's true.

But we're also one of the worst in the league at these stupid $10M+ roster bonuses (Grbac, Holliday), which eat up cap AND profits.
How many times has that 10 million been paid out?

I can't think of one time that the Chiefs paid out a 10 million roster bonus.

All it does is eat up potential cap room, but in the end they don't matter because they are never paid out.
__________________
Posts: 23,008
The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
The Bad Guy The Bad Guy is offline
Scott Pioli
 
The Bad Guy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: The Copacobana
Casino cash: $13745
The Colts owner has borrowed against assets to pay for his players. He broke the bank on Manning, Harrison and said he will do the same for James.

Our owner says they are cashed out.

Lamar Hunt has done wonderful things for this game and I truly appreciate it.

But I wish he was the owner of another franchise.

It would eat at me everyday that I haven't held a trophy named in my honor in forever - if ever, I don't know when they named it the Lamar Hunt Trophy.
__________________
Posts: 23,008
The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.The Bad Guy has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #12
Mr. Laz Mr. Laz is offline
Don't Tease Me
 
Mr. Laz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: KS
Casino cash: $1047137
Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe
I'm not sure that's 100% the case, but I see your point.

We'd rather tie guys up with base salary than pay them huge signing bonuses. That's true.

But we're also one of the worst in the league at these stupid $10M+ roster bonuses (Grbac, Holliday), which eat up cap AND profits.
no disagreement here..

our main problem is still talent evaluation



but our front office still has that small market mentality of counting pennies.

last year Vermeil was even quoted as saying "we have the cap room but don't have the finances."


lamar/carl ... whomever decides it, still has a bottomline first


they just don't want to break even or make a few million, they seem to want to make as much money as they can and still be competitive.


not that you can blame them for wanting profit ... it's a business.



But it's also a weakness of the Chiefs "on the field" team.
__________________
Posts: 95,626
Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 12:57 PM   #13
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
Single Malt CP, Aged 18 Years
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8859
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarASS
no disagreement here..

our main problem is still talent evaluation



but our front office still has that small market mentality of counting pennies.

last year Vermeil was even quoted as saying "we have the cap room but don't have the finances."


lamar/carl ... whomever decides it, still has a bottomline first


they just don't want to break even or make a few million, they seem to want to make as much money as they can and still be competitive.


not that you can blame them for wanting profit ... it's a business.



But it's also a weakness of the Chiefs "on the field" team.
I don't disagree with that at all.
__________________
"Itís more complicated than that." -- Andy Reid
Posts: 66,961
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:15 PM   #14
Lancetastic Lancetastic is offline
Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Casino cash: $5000
The reason that the Colts have so much cap room is BECAUSE of the deals given to Manning and James, not IN SPITE of them. Because their bonuses were huge and most money was backloaded, the initial two years have a relatively small blow to the salary cap for these two players. Their deals will need to be renegotiated within the next 2-3 years or their cap numbers will swell to the point they cannot afford any other players. The Colts will pay handsomely down the road for having so much space down the road so don't blame the Chiefs' management for not following the Colts' blueprint because they too will have to pay the piper. In my opinion, the Colts probably have crippled their franchise in the upcoming years unless Manning is willing to take a massive paycut off his per-year salary. They did not renegotiate his original rookie contract and instead had a gun against their head after his contract expired and had to break the bank for it.

The roster bonuses paid to Holliday and Grbac did not hurt us against the cap on their own because we never paid them. The only cap hit we took (or will take as it pertains to Holliday) was (or will be) the remaining amount of their respective signing bonuses. Holliday was not thought to be the real deal so his contract did not include a massive signing bonus or a lot of money up front. The Chiefs will have cap-room once they get rid of Holliday and they have already restructured several contracts.

The Chiefs will take the most damage later on with Priest Holmes' contract as a lot of his bonuses, etc. are guaranteed as late as 2008 when I assume he will no longer be on the team. Fortunately, the cap will in all likelihood be over $100 million by this point so the hit will be deflected somewhat as it will be a smaller percentage of the overall cap figure by this time.

Instead of looking at the cap figures before free agency begins and getting angry about it, try to analyze what has caused the figures to be what they are and more importantly, why they mean nearly nothing until roster cuts and trades are made.
Posts: 75
Lancetastic is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Lancetastic is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #15
Mr. Laz Mr. Laz is offline
Don't Tease Me
 
Mr. Laz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: KS
Casino cash: $1047137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancetastic
The reason that the Colts have so much cap room is BECAUSE of the deals given to Manning and James, not IN SPITE of them. Because their bonuses were huge and most money was backloaded, the initial two years have a relatively small blow to the salary cap for these two players.
didn't we just say that?


the chiefs unwillingness to squeeze the cap is the reason why some others teams seem to have so much more cap room than we are.


btw i wouldn't count on the colts being "cripple" anytime soon. If your will to the hit to your profits and you know how to "twist" the cap you can avoid cap problems for years.(ie washington,faiders,broncos etc)

if your owner is willing to take the big money hit, you only have to have a 1/2 down years every 7 or 8.

the 49ers are a good example ... under their previous owner they tweaked and stretch the cap for years and years. Then they needed to have a few down years. But during the down years they changed owners and they have never been the same. Their current owner is cheap and doesn't want to spend the money or they would already be outa of their cap problems.
__________________
Posts: 95,626
Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Laz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.