Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 PM  
ct ct is offline
u b illian
 
ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DooDah
Casino cash: $5839
Crazy idea from a FFL commish

I'm commish in a learning league, I started this league for several people who wanted to learn FF. I named our league Training Camp, and we're getting ready for year 3.

One of our teams dropped out yesterday, and our draft is Saturday. Not having any luck filling the spot, so an idea was discussed to leave the team empty, giving everyone a freebie win. This way I don't have to fiddle with the league settings that drastically so close to draft night. But this gave me another idea...

Here is a draft e-mail I'm thinking about sending out to the league. Special notes to ChiefsPlanet readers are in italics.
***
Team name possibilities:

The Replacements
Junk Yard Dogs
Mr. Irrelevants
WWF - Waiver Wire Fanatics

I propose we leave the 12th team open and active on the schedule, although excluded from the draft. Only the 11 existing teams will participate in the draft. Once the draft is complete, I will manually load each roster into the league site, as usual (note: we do a live draft, and I enter rosters manually). Then I will build the 12th team roster consisting entirely of undrafted players.

For scheduling purposes, when your team plays this 12th team, the scoring will occur as normal, until all the stats and scores are final. At that point, I will add/subtract enough points to/from this 12th team's final score, to ensure that everyone beats this team by 1 point. So any point differential tie-breakers at the end of the season will not be effected, and everybody gets 1 free win during the season. I will manually adjust the win/loss record for team 12, to reflect what the score WOULD have been, but at the end of the season, this team will be placed at the bottom of the standings, and will not be seeded for the post-season.

For waiver purposes, all players on this 12th team ARE AVAILABLE TO ALL TEAMS! Rather than submitting a waiver request for a player on that roster, just submit a one for one player trade, giving up the player you would have dropped, and gaining the player for whom you would have entered a waiver request. By rule, this trade offer MUST BE ACCEPTED. The only exception is if multiple teams request the same player, the lottery system is still in effect (note we resolve duplicate waivers by a lottery drawing). Any other waivers for players not on this team will process as usual(note: commish processes waivers nightly), and can be conditional on a trade with team 12 if you like, but this will have to be specified manually to me via e-mail, phone call, noted on the trade request, etc.(note: multiple waivers can be conditional on other waivers. i.e. waiver for player A, if I don't get player A, then waiver for player B)

Since this 12th team will slowly be robbed of players, I'll have to do some waivers of my own for that team. The 12th team's waivers will be processed manually, AFTER NORMAL WAIVER PROCESSING! In other words, team 12 cannot steal players already in another waiver request, and is excluded from lottery drawings. Basically, team 12 gets only the leftovers.

So why am I doing this? Cause I'm NUTS of course!! However, there is another point. I want to illustrate, mostly to the newer players, as a further progression for the Training Camp learning process, how important the waiver players can be for your team throughout the season. My hypothesis for this experiment is I think I can build a competitive team out of reject players, and I'm challenging each of you to beat my team of scrubs!

***
What do ya think? Stupid idea?
Posts: 6,356
ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
Kyle401 Kyle401 is offline
1st Round Bust
 
Kyle401's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Casino cash: $5000
I say you let the results stand. If the scrubs come up big win some games so what? You're already leaving the team open to raiders anyway. If this is a training league anyway, no one should be upset. Besides learning to deal with losses to teams which are "not as good as yours" is part of FF. Everyone has had that experience.


Last year in one of my leagues I went 15-1, and won the league. My only loss on the season came when my opponent started 2 players (RB & WR) who were questionable because he didn't want to expose any of his players to waivers. Neither played but, he still won thanks to a down week on my team and some outstanding performances by a few of his players.
Posts: 788
Kyle401 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Kyle401 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #3
BigRedChief BigRedChief is offline
Brainwashed
 
BigRedChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Swims with fishes
Casino cash: $16548
VARSITY
WTF year 3 and your still in training camp?
__________________
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

Albert Einstein
Posts: 44,609
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Phobia Phobia is offline
Together is Powerful
 
Phobia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: KCMO
Casino cash: $5389
I agree. If somebody gets beat by the scrub team, they deserved the loss and it probably won't have changed anything in the final standings anyway.
Posts: 55,745
Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
KCChiefsMan KCChiefsMan is offline
AIC
 
KCChiefsMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Roxbury, MA
Casino cash: $5000
we had the same problem in baseball, we just had an empty dummie team and it is in first place by a lot
Posts: 11,477
KCChiefsMan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KCChiefsMan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KCChiefsMan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KCChiefsMan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KCChiefsMan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KCChiefsMan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
ct ct is offline
u b illian
 
ct's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DooDah
Casino cash: $5839
Yep we've all had those weeks, from both ends of that stick too I'm sure. I ran it by 2 of our experienced players, and they like the idea, both from the FFL fanatic waiver scrounge angle that I am, to the pick up your game challenge to the noobs.

I'm thinking I might do this. Of course, if the replacements finish higher than my own team...I quit!!
Posts: 6,356
ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
morphius morphius is offline
World's finest morphius
 
morphius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $7002
Why not just fill the 12th team with people that are on IR, never get any playing time, etc, etc... Especially if you are going to make it a free win. And that way you don't have to worry about "his" players be wanted by another team.
__________________
Herm Edwards neutering offenses one QB at a time.
Posts: 24,625
morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.morphius would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Kyle401 Kyle401 is offline
1st Round Bust
 
Kyle401's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius
Why not just fill the 12th team with people that are on IR, never get any playing time, etc, etc... Especially if you are going to make it a free win. And that way you don't have to worry about "his" players be wanted by another team.
Assuming a 16 week schedule and a 2-3 week playoff period, every team will play 13-14 games to determine playoff seeding. In a round-robin format, 2-3 teams will have an advantage by playing the dummy (non-competitive) team twice. They would have been "given" 2 free wins. Obviously this is unfair to teams who only recieved 1 free win.
Posts: 788
Kyle401 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Kyle401 is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Valiant Valiant is offline
Valiant 'The Thread Killer'
 
Valiant's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Kansas City
Casino cash: $3226
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryt
I'm commish in a learning league, I started this league for several people who wanted to learn FF. I named our league Training Camp, and we're getting ready for year 3.

One of our teams dropped out yesterday, and our draft is Saturday. Not having any luck filling the spot, so an idea was discussed to leave the team empty, giving everyone a freebie win. This way I don't have to fiddle with the league settings that drastically so close to draft night. But this gave me another idea...

Here is a draft e-mail I'm thinking about sending out to the league. Special notes to ChiefsPlanet readers are in italics.
***
Team name possibilities:

The Replacements
Junk Yard Dogs
Mr. Irrelevants
WWF - Waiver Wire Fanatics

I propose we leave the 12th team open and active on the schedule, although excluded from the draft. Only the 11 existing teams will participate in the draft. Once the draft is complete, I will manually load each roster into the league site, as usual (note: we do a live draft, and I enter rosters manually). Then I will build the 12th team roster consisting entirely of undrafted players.

For scheduling purposes, when your team plays this 12th team, the scoring will occur as normal, until all the stats and scores are final. At that point, I will add/subtract enough points to/from this 12th team's final score, to ensure that everyone beats this team by 1 point. So any point differential tie-breakers at the end of the season will not be effected, and everybody gets 1 free win during the season. I will manually adjust the win/loss record for team 12, to reflect what the score WOULD have been, but at the end of the season, this team will be placed at the bottom of the standings, and will not be seeded for the post-season.

For waiver purposes, all players on this 12th team ARE AVAILABLE TO ALL TEAMS! Rather than submitting a waiver request for a player on that roster, just submit a one for one player trade, giving up the player you would have dropped, and gaining the player for whom you would have entered a waiver request. By rule, this trade offer MUST BE ACCEPTED. The only exception is if multiple teams request the same player, the lottery system is still in effect (note we resolve duplicate waivers by a lottery drawing). Any other waivers for players not on this team will process as usual(note: commish processes waivers nightly), and can be conditional on a trade with team 12 if you like, but this will have to be specified manually to me via e-mail, phone call, noted on the trade request, etc.(note: multiple waivers can be conditional on other waivers. i.e. waiver for player A, if I don't get player A, then waiver for player B)

Since this 12th team will slowly be robbed of players, I'll have to do some waivers of my own for that team. The 12th team's waivers will be processed manually, AFTER NORMAL WAIVER PROCESSING! In other words, team 12 cannot steal players already in another waiver request, and is excluded from lottery drawings. Basically, team 12 gets only the leftovers.

So why am I doing this? Cause I'm NUTS of course!! However, there is another point. I want to illustrate, mostly to the newer players, as a further progression for the Training Camp learning process, how important the waiver players can be for your team throughout the season. My hypothesis for this experiment is I think I can build a competitive team out of reject players, and I'm challenging each of you to beat my team of scrubs!

***
What do ya think? Stupid idea?

How many years do you need for a trainers league??? You are in year 3, right???

Just have everybody draft for that team, and you run it as alt team under another email...

The way you are proposing is just too much work and still trying to beat some team... Not going to happen...
Posts: 15,250
Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Valiant is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #10
ct ct is offline
u b illian
 
ct's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DooDah
Casino cash: $5839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief
WTF year 3 and your still in training camp?
Year 1 my wife and I held some FFL 101 meetings with 3 of the noobs(there were 5 total). The other 2 noobs were knowledgeable football fans, just never played FF. These 3 were somewhat marginal football fans, and honestly were not ready for FF.

Year 2 we did some more advanced meetings and a couple mock drafts, call this FFL 201.

Year 3 we've done several mocks, with different draft strategies and ranking discussions.

Our 5 original noobs have progressed as follows:

Noob1 - knowledgeable football fan(except the Cowboy fan thing). He's been awarded his honorary degree, he knows what he's doin.
Noob2 - somewhat knowledgeable football fan, won the league last year, although it was a bit of a fluke. Earned extra credit for taking the title, but still learning.
Noob3 - longtime football fan, marginal knowledge. Still learning, but the latest mock proves this noob is gettin it.
Noob4 - oi...may have a flunk out here. But there is a little $ involved, so it's cool by me to have 1 player who may not EVER get it. This is the team I think I will really screw up with my crazy Replacements idea.
Noob5 - dropout, flippin burgers in the parking lot concession stand, so to speak.

Basically, this league is modeled after our real league. I started this one as a training camp feeder for the real league, if/when we need some fresh meat. So far we've got 3 solid prospects, but it's time to elevate out game, hence my challenge...

Last edited by ct; 08-25-2005 at 04:28 PM..
Posts: 6,356
ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #11
ct ct is offline
u b illian
 
ct's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DooDah
Casino cash: $5839
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius
Why not just fill the 12th team with people that are on IR, never get any playing time, etc, etc... Especially if you are going to make it a free win. And that way you don't have to worry about "his" players be wanted by another team.
If that's what I wanted, I'd just leave it blank. BTW, I placed a team helmet logo for this open team with a Cannibus leaf, and in the even Ricky Williams isn't drafted, I was gonna assign him and him only to this Team Cannibus. That's kinda what led to this idea.
Posts: 6,356
ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #12
ct ct is offline
u b illian
 
ct's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DooDah
Casino cash: $5839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle401
Assuming a 16 week schedule and a 2-3 week playoff period, every team will play 13-14 games to determine playoff seeding. In a round-robin format, 2-3 teams will have an advantage by playing the dummy (non-competitive) team twice. They would have been "given" 2 free wins. Obviously this is unfair to teams who only recieved 1 free win.
I had the schedule worked out perfect with 12 teams. A 12 week regular season, play the other 11 once, with 1 BYE. Then a 4-week playoff with every team qualifying. Our host site did not offer very good packaged schedules, I did this manually, which was a pain in the arse. A big reason why I do NOT want to go thru all the league changes.
Posts: 6,356
ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
ct ct is offline
u b illian
 
ct's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DooDah
Casino cash: $5839
By the way, part of this idea is to quit screwin around with the Training Camp, and get serious. Time for the noobs to step it up or get spanked! I'm trying to point this out by beating them with my scrub team.
Posts: 6,356
ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #14
Big Slick Big Slick is offline
Starter
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryt
Year 1 my wife and I held some FFL 101 meetings with 3 of the noobs(there were 5 total). The other 2 noobs were knowledgeable football fans, just never played FF. These 3 were somewhat marginal football fans, and honestly were not ready for FF.

Year 2 we did some more advanced meetings and a couple mock drafts, call this FFL 201.

Year 3 we've done several mocks, with different draft strategies and ranking discussions
I didn't realize fantasy football required a Bachelor's degree!

Seriously tho, I think you're overcomplicating things just a bit, it is just a game. I've commished several leagues over the years and have tried different ways to encourcage deadbeat owners to actively manage their team. End result, not much you can do about it. Either they give a **** or they don't.

If you're stuck with an odd number of teams, just draft with the 11 teams you've got. Then the ghost team's weekly score is the weekly average of the 11 real teams. So somebody is playing against the league average every week. This worked decent for me one year, and some sites support this automatically. And this is actually better for the owners who are active, because that leaves more talent to acquire.

Just my 2 cents...
Posts: 88
Big Slick is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Big Slick is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #15
jspchief jspchief is offline
BAMF
 
jspchief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Your Face
Casino cash: $7865
If you really want to get serious, then have the dummy team draft like a normal team. Make it draft strictly according to a predetermined cheat sheet and make it a real opponent.

No way I would give out freebies.
__________________
Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear.
The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all.
Posts: 24,168
jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.jspchief wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.