Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 02:30 PM  
FringeNC FringeNC is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NC
Casino cash: $63979
McNabb attacked by NAACP for acting too white

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13365786.htm

John Smallwood | FOLDING THE RACE CARD
CRITICS ARE OUT OF LINE DEBATING McNABB'S 'BLACKNESS'



THAT I DISAGREE with the negative assessment Philadelphia NAACP head Jerry Mondesire made of Donovan McNabb in the Philadelphia Sun is irrelevant.

Mondesire, like everyone else, is entitled to his opinions, and more power to him for having a forum like the Sun to express them.

I guess what I'd really like to know is how or why the quarterback's performance, Terrell Owens' self-created banishment and the Eagles' fall from Super Bowl to the cellar of the NFC East has evolved into a referendum on "blackness" in some segments of Philadelphia's African-American community.

In his column, Mondesire blasted McNabb as an average quarterback who played the race card. If McNabb were Caucasian, would Mondesire have been moved to go against his normal policy of not commenting on sports because "the games that grown men play pale in comparison to the great issues of racism, politics, social calamities, health crisis's, war, peace, etc... . "?

If McNabb were Caucasian, I am positive white people would not have been motivated to call into talk radio shows and debate whether the quarterback was a true white man.

But debating Donovan McNabb as a true black man is exactly what a good number of African-Americans in Philadelphia are doing since the Owens-McNabb flap became the focal point of the Eagles' demise.

It's fascinating that this has spiraled way beyond the confines of a football debate. And don't tell me it hasn't, when terms such as sellout, token, company man, Uncle Tom and other racially charged ones have been thrown into the debate.

What this black-on-black verbal violence has caused me to wonder is: Who gets to determine who is truly African-American and what is or isn't a part of African-American culture?

Is McNabb only sort of black because his parents, Sam and Wilma, stayed together and raised him to act like an adult when confronted with something such as Owens' repeated criticism?

When did handling a difficult situation with class and dignity become a negative in the black community?

Is Owens a full-fledged brother now because he stood up to the man while minstrel-acting his way out of millions of dollars?

Does T.O. lose some of his street credibility because he dropped his "hard-ass brotha" act and basically begged "Massa" to take him back as soon as he realized he really was getting kicked out of the house and off the plantation?

So what is the criteria for being black?

Allen Iverson "keeps it real" because he remembers his roots growing up in the ghettos of Hampton, Va.

Kobe Bryant is labeled as fraud because he grew up in Italy and Lower Merion.

So does that mean Iverson's children eventually will be branded similarly to Bryant because they will have grown up in a wealthy lifestyle of the Main Line?

Who gets to make those determinations?

Is it Mondesire? The fellas on the corner in North Philly? The black lawyer or doctor living in Chestnut Hill?

If my father left the streets of Baltimore to serve for more than 20 years in the Army because he wanted his children to have it better than he had, does it make me less of a black man because I grew up on military bases and in the suburbs of Baltimore?

If I got scholarships for having good grades and worked a job every day so that I could afford to go to the University of Maryland, am I less black than the man who pulled himself up through the school of hard knocks?

I get e-mails all the time questioning my blackness because I work for the Daily News, because I sometimes criticize black athletes, because I don't always say what some black people want or expect me to say.

So is growing up impoverished in the inner city an absolute must to be considered "truly" black?

I grew up in a school district that was only 6 percent black and was called a "******." Would it have been more accurate had they called me "little kind-of-a-black boy lost in suburbia?"

Damn, it sure hurt like I was being called "******."

If I don't subscribe to the "thug life," does that mean I don't subscribe to the black life?

Sorry, folks, but I'm not buying that. My roots are what they are. I am what I am, African-American.

As black people, the fact that we come from so many different segments of society should be our greatest strength.

Instead, we often let our diversity and the accompanying ability to bring varying perspectives to the table be manipulated into divisive tools that we readily use against ourselves.

So maybe McNabb really is just a mediocre quarterback with a penchant for choking in big games. But how does that make him less of an African-American?

And on whose authority does someone get to decide that?
Posts: 7,513
FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
Bacon Cheeseburger Bacon Cheeseburger is offline
With no ****ing ketchup
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $407577
Laughable, and I would expect no less from the head of the NAACP. Creating racism within a race.
Posts: 52,190
Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bacon Cheeseburger 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
chagrin chagrin is offline
Giggitty!
 
chagrin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Casino cash: $8163
I just don't understand the logical connection between the T.O. vs McNabb story, and racism
__________________
I'll try to be nice to you, if you stop being such an idiot
Posts: 13,334
chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Bob Dole Bob Dole is offline
King Shit of **** Mountain
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Casino cash: $93778
McNabb was attacked because he's "sold out" and has tried to be more of a pocket passer.

Come on. Everyone knows that white QBs are pocket passers and African-American QBs are scramblers.
Posts: 31,209
Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Bob Dole is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $703
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheXtremeDole
McNabb was attacked because he's "sold out" and has tried to be more of a pocket passer.

Come on. Everyone knows that white QBs are pocket passers and African-American QBs are scramblers.
Thats because white boys can't run, jump, juke, and jive like the Michael Vicks of this world.

BTW, Atlanta loses when Vick stays in the pocket.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,814
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
mikey23545 mikey23545 is offline
MVP
 
mikey23545's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $118674
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnytrdr
BTW, Atlanta loses when Vick stays in the pocket.
Maybe the other blacks on his team lose respect for him when he acts like an Uncle Tom....
Posts: 11,869
mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mikey23545 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey23545
Maybe the other blacks on his team lose respect for him when he acts like an Uncle Tom....
rep is on your way.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,814
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey23545
Maybe the other blacks on his team lose respect for him when he acts like an Uncle Tom....
maybe its Uncle Tom to play QB in the first place.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,814
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
chagrin chagrin is offline
Giggitty!
 
chagrin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Casino cash: $8163
Not to be picky here bunnytrdr but they also lose when he scrambles.
__________________
I'll try to be nice to you, if you stop being such an idiot
Posts: 13,334
chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Sig Kauffman Sig Kauffman is offline
Adopt-a-Chief...
 
Sig Kauffman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: I-70 & Blue Ridge Cutoff
Casino cash: $1000
This is all just a ploy by the NAACP to make Rush Limbaugh look like more of an idiot than he already is.
__________________
This IS BANANAS, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
Posts: 236
Sig Kauffman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Sig Kauffman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $703
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagrin
Not to be picky here bunnytrdr but they also lose when he scrambles.
Do they ever win? If so, when? I believe they are better when he is Free to be himself and make plays.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,814
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #12
Skip Towne Skip Towne is offline
Supporter
 
Skip Towne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: T-Town
Casino cash: $1109186
Are we allowed to talk about race on the Planet. Well, maybe now that Phobia is gone. Man, that guy was a race-o-phobe.
Posts: 69,672
Skip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < CasselSkip Towne < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #13
chagrin chagrin is offline
Giggitty!
 
chagrin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Casino cash: $8163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnytrdr
Do they ever win? If so, when? I believe they are better when he is Free to be himself and make plays.
They win both ways, and ya can't tell me the reaosn they lost the last few games this year is because he had to be a pocket passer, that's incorrect. Not that you said that I know - I'm not putting words in your mouth. This is like the chicken and the egg; except for one thing. He will be forced to pass the ball to win if he ever gets to the NFC Championship game again. We all know the competition gets, if nothing else, more traditional and QB's like him will be exposed - simple as that. So that makes him an exciting regular season NFL player until he proves otherwise. And yes, every QB, etc has to PROVE that they can win.

Right, I mean, am I right?
__________________
I'll try to be nice to you, if you stop being such an idiot
Posts: 13,334
chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.chagrin must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $703
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagrin
They win both ways, and ya can't tell me the reaosn they lost the last few games this year is because he had to be a pocket passer, that's incorrect. Not that you said that I know - I'm not putting words in your mouth. This is like the chicken and the egg; except for one thing. He will be forced to pass the ball to win if he ever gets to the NFC Championship game again. We all know the competition gets, if nothing else, more traditional and QB's like him will be exposed - simple as that. So that makes him an exciting regular season NFL player until he proves otherwise. And yes, every QB, etc has to PROVE that they can win.

Right, I mean, am I right?
The Chiefs blew them up last year, and iMo no legitimate SB team gets blown up like that if they dont' have some glaring weekness.

The Eagles just covered him like he was returning a punt and he got snuffed out.'

I just think that more offense can be designed arround his ability to get it on.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,814
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:04 PM   #15
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Towne
Are we allowed to talk about race on the Planet. Well, maybe now that Phobia is gone. Man, that guy was a race-o-phobe.
Shut up Okie.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,814
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.