Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 PM  
tk13 tk13 is offline
...
 
tk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Casino cash: $19045
NY Newsday: Speculation persists despite Herm's denials

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/foot...orts-headlines

Speculation persists despite what Herm says

BY KEN BERGER
STAFF WRITER

January 3, 2006


Herman Edwards made his most emphatic statement yet about his intention to return to coach the Jets in 2006, but his words did little to quell speculation about his future.

"I'm happy to be the coach here and I'm going to be the coach here," Edwards said in his season-ending news conference, less than 24 hours after the Jets beat the Bills, 30-26, to finish 4-12 -- the worst record in Edwards' five seasons as coach.

But a person with knowledge of the team's situation said yesterday that as many as four teams, including the Chiefs, are expected to contact the Jets to ask permission to interview Edwards.

Dick Vermeil, who retired as Kansas City's coach, and Chiefs president Carl Peterson will hold their season-ending news conference today. It is believed that the Chiefs are delaying any inquiries about coaches who are under contract until after that, out of respect for Vermeil.

In addition, two people with knowledge of the Chiefs' situation said the organization is reluctant to pay draft-pick compensation for a coach after giving up a second- and third-round pick for Vermeil. It is possible that their initial offer to the Jets for Edwards would be to absorb the final two years on his contract, and draft-pick negotiations could flow from there.

A Jets spokesman said no team had asked the Jets for permission to interview Edwards as of last night. Edwards and general manager Terry Bradway will address the media for the final time this season Thursday. Edwards' agent, Gary O'Hagan of IMG, said, "I have no comment" and hung up the phone when reached yesterday.

Six jobs already are open: Kansas City, New Orleans, Houston, Green Bay, Minnesota and St. Louis. Decisions are pending in Detroit and Oakland. Any interest in Edwards could force Jets owner Woody Johnson to consider extending Edwards' contract for the second time in two years.

Most players left for the offseason believing that Edwards will return, but the uncertainty was palpable.

"He gave us his word saying he wasn't going anywhere," defensive end Shaun Ellis said, referring to a speech Edwards made to the team in October. "But when a person gives you an opportunity, you've got to take a serious look at it."
Posts: 37,472
tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.tk13 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
siberian khatru siberian khatru is offline
21st Century Schizoid Fan
 
siberian khatru's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Gates of Delirium
Casino cash: $19365
I just don't see the guy as being worth giving up draft picks.
Posts: 45,859
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $16592
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian khatru
I just don't see the guy as being worth giving up draft picks.
Agreed, hes a decent coach, but if we have to give up picks for this guy im gonna puke. Carl has a massive Hard-On for the guy.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 51,018
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
KChiefs1 KChiefs1 is offline
ChiefsPlanet Pick'em Champ!
 
KChiefs1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mid-Missouri
Casino cash: $15820
If the Chiefs have to lose draft picks for Herm.....foget about it!

Saunders or Stoops would be better...
Posts: 10,393
KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.KChiefs1 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
FringeNC FringeNC is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: NC
Casino cash: $8432
I just get this bad feeling Herm would retain Gunther Cunningham.
Posts: 7,653
FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FringeNC has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Alphaman Alphaman is offline
Veteran
 
Alphaman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian khatru
I just don't see the guy as being worth giving up draft picks.
I'm still not convinced league rules allow for trading picks to acquire a coach.

No picks for coaches

NFL nixes draft picks for coaches
Teams no longer can give up picks for compensation, like the Bucs did for Gruden.
By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
St. Petersburg Times
published January 17, 2003


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA -- Jon Gruden led the Bucs to a franchise-record 12 victories, a division title and a berth in Sunday's NFC Championship Game against the Eagles. You would have to agree the trade Tampa Bay made with the Raiders for the rights to Gruden is an unqualified success.

Now such a deal is against league rules.

The league Thursday banned the type of trade that enabled the Bucs to sign Gruden. The new policy was announced in a memo to all 32 teams by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Tagliabue acted after the competition committee concluded that such coach-for-picks trades might be undermining the purpose of the draft.

The co-chairman of the competition committee is Bucs general manager Rich McKay, whose team has reaped the benefits of such a trade.

The Bucs ended a 36-day coaching search by trading two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8-million to the Raiders for the rights to Gruden, who had a year left on his contract.

Three weeks ago, the Bucs attempted to receive compensation from the Cowboys for the rights to hire Bill Parcells, revealing the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach had signed a four-year contract to coach Tampa Bay a year ago.

But the contract never was submitted to the league office for approval and Tagliabue ruled no compensation was owed.

McKay declined comment Thursday.

The league's owners can decide whether to restore the right to trade draft picks for coaches at their annual meeting March 22-26 in Phoenix.

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

Gruden is the latest success story for teams that have been bold enough to package draft picks to hire coaches under contract with other teams.

In 1997, the Jets sent draft picks to New England to acquire the rights to Parcells. Two years later, Parcells led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game.

In 2000, the Patriots sent draft picks to the Jets to hire coach Bill Belichick, who was under contract. Last season, Belichick led New England to the Super Bowl XXXVI title.

This is not the first time the competition committee recommended the league reconsider its policy of swapping picks for coaches. Three years ago it presented its concerns to ownership about teams attempting to receive compensation for assistants.

After firing Tony Dungy and having Parcells renege on a deal to coach Tampa Bay and remain retired, Bucs owners targeted coaches under contract.

First, they offered the 49ers a package of undisclosed draft picks for the rights to Steve Mariucci, who ultimately walked away from an offer to become coach and general manager.

That prompted Bucs vice presidents Joel and Bryan Glazer to call Raiders general partner Al Davis and offer a king's ransom of top picks for the rights to Gruden.

Both teams benefited. The Raiders host Tennessee in the AFC Championship Game while the Bucs travel to Philadelphia for the NFC title game.
Posts: 1,380
Alphaman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Alphaman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
siberian khatru siberian khatru is offline
21st Century Schizoid Fan
 
siberian khatru's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Gates of Delirium
Casino cash: $19365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman
I'm still not convinced league rules allow for trading picks to acquire a coach.

No picks for coaches

NFL nixes draft picks for coaches
Teams no longer can give up picks for compensation, like the Bucs did for Gruden.
By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
St. Petersburg Times
published January 17, 2003


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA -- Jon Gruden led the Bucs to a franchise-record 12 victories, a division title and a berth in Sunday's NFC Championship Game against the Eagles. You would have to agree the trade Tampa Bay made with the Raiders for the rights to Gruden is an unqualified success.

Now such a deal is against league rules.

The league Thursday banned the type of trade that enabled the Bucs to sign Gruden. The new policy was announced in a memo to all 32 teams by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Tagliabue acted after the competition committee concluded that such coach-for-picks trades might be undermining the purpose of the draft.

The co-chairman of the competition committee is Bucs general manager Rich McKay, whose team has reaped the benefits of such a trade.

The Bucs ended a 36-day coaching search by trading two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8-million to the Raiders for the rights to Gruden, who had a year left on his contract.

Three weeks ago, the Bucs attempted to receive compensation from the Cowboys for the rights to hire Bill Parcells, revealing the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach had signed a four-year contract to coach Tampa Bay a year ago.

But the contract never was submitted to the league office for approval and Tagliabue ruled no compensation was owed.

McKay declined comment Thursday.

The league's owners can decide whether to restore the right to trade draft picks for coaches at their annual meeting March 22-26 in Phoenix.

The league's new policy is not restricted to head coaches. It prevents draft picks from being used to sign anyone under contract with another team, including assistants, front-office personnel or scouts.

Gruden is the latest success story for teams that have been bold enough to package draft picks to hire coaches under contract with other teams.

In 1997, the Jets sent draft picks to New England to acquire the rights to Parcells. Two years later, Parcells led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game.

In 2000, the Patriots sent draft picks to the Jets to hire coach Bill Belichick, who was under contract. Last season, Belichick led New England to the Super Bowl XXXVI title.

This is not the first time the competition committee recommended the league reconsider its policy of swapping picks for coaches. Three years ago it presented its concerns to ownership about teams attempting to receive compensation for assistants.

After firing Tony Dungy and having Parcells renege on a deal to coach Tampa Bay and remain retired, Bucs owners targeted coaches under contract.

First, they offered the 49ers a package of undisclosed draft picks for the rights to Steve Mariucci, who ultimately walked away from an offer to become coach and general manager.

That prompted Bucs vice presidents Joel and Bryan Glazer to call Raiders general partner Al Davis and offer a king's ransom of top picks for the rights to Gruden.

Both teams benefited. The Raiders host Tennessee in the AFC Championship Game while the Bucs travel to Philadelphia for the NFC title game.

The Pastabelly (I think it was him) article contradicts that.
Posts: 45,859
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
banyon banyon is offline
Supporter
 
banyon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dodge City, Kansas
Casino cash: $10316
I don't know what the rule is now, but the rule should be that a team has to give up draft choices. Otherwise its too much like coach free agency.
Posts: 33,208
banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
Alphaman Alphaman is offline
Veteran
 
Alphaman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian khatru
The Pastabelly (I think it was him) article contradicts that.
Do you have a link for that article?
Posts: 1,380
Alphaman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Alphaman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
Alphaman Alphaman is offline
Veteran
 
Alphaman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by banyon
I don't know what the rule is now, but the rule should be that a team has to give up draft choices. Otherwise its too much like coach free agency.
I disagree. If the coach is under contract, the team can still refuse permission to interview the guy. It's up to the team he's under contract with whether or not they are willing to let him out of his contract. I could see them saying they have to pay a buyout (i.e. cash).
Posts: 1,380
Alphaman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Alphaman is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Chiefnj Chiefnj is offline
MVP
 
Chiefnj's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Willis, Harris and Davis.
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman
Do you have a link for that article?
Look for a thread from this afternoon started by shortbuskid.
Posts: 6,811
Chiefnj has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #12
milkman milkman is offline
Dumbass!
 
milkman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Leading the Marty bashing
Casino cash: $12015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefnj
Look for a thread from this afternoon started by shortbuskid.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132730
__________________
Posts: 64,911
milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.milkman is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
siberian khatru siberian khatru is offline
21st Century Schizoid Fan
 
siberian khatru's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Gates of Delirium
Casino cash: $19365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman
Do you have a link for that article?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132730
Posts: 45,859
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
banyon banyon is offline
Supporter
 
banyon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dodge City, Kansas
Casino cash: $10316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman
I disagree. If the coach is under contract, the team can still refuse permission to interview the guy. It's up to the team he's under contract with whether or not they are willing to let him out of his contract. I could see them saying they have to pay a buyout (i.e. cash).
That's true under the rules, but fans with a cheapskate owner (like the old vikings owner, or if David Glass owned a football team) might potentially lose their good coaches to teams with higher revenues (like the Redskins).
Posts: 33,208
banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.banyon wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #15
Ari Chi3fs Ari Chi3fs is offline
Winners Pick Up Wrappers.
 
Ari Chi3fs's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: University of Kansas
Casino cash: $5000
in 2000, wasnt Bill Belichek coach of the Jets for like 2-3 days before turning it down to go to New England?

Wow... what could have been for the Jets.

I vaguely recall such a situation.
__________________


Posts: 26,971
Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ari Chi3fs has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.