|08-25-2009, 03:36 PM|
Join Date: Apr 2001
Casino cash: $87705
Gretz: Practice Update 8/25 A.M.
Practice Update 8/25 A.M. (<-- It's a freakin' link dumbass!!)
August 25, 2009 - Bob Gretz | Comments (20)
From the Truman Sports Complex
It was a hot, steamy morning for the Chiefs practice session Tuesday. And there were times during the two-hour session when the attitudes were hot and steamy as well.
At one point, LB Monty Beisel carried on an animated conversation with one of the coaches that got heated. Head coach Todd Haley jumped in and added his two cents as well. It was that kind of day.
But there was a lot of work that got done, although it was another tough day at times for the offense.
QB Matt Cassel led the first-team offense to a FG in the two-minute drill, orchestrating the drive perfectly as he hit four of six passes, including a big catch by WR Dwayne Bowe on the sideline against a blitz. Earlier in a blitz period, Cassel and the other Chiefs quarterbacks struggled going seven of 13 with several dropped interceptions. Things weren’t much better in the seven-on-seven drill in the scoring zone. The offense did have some success running the ball against the No. 1 defense.
New offensive linemen Andy Alleman and Ikechuku Ndukwe were part of the practice session. Alleman worked at right guard with the backups, while Ndukwe was playing at right tackle. Haley said he expects both to play on Saturday against Seattle.
Some other stuff from the practice:
– Haley spent a lot of time with the wide receivers and quarterbacks during the workout. He’s done that a lot since the start of practices, but there was extra time on Tuesday with the pitchers and the catchers. Haley said there was a new concept being put into the offense and he wanted to make sure the players understood what needed to get done.
– RB Larry Johnson was back and working with the team, after sitting out Monday afternoon’s practice with a sore neck.
– Out of the practice and working in the rehab area were ILB Zach Thomas and RB Kolby Smith.
– During the practice, rookie TE Jake O’Connell injured his left ankle and had to be helped off the field. He was then taken by cart to the locker room. O’Connell was walking around in the locker room afterwards, so it does not appear to be a serious injury.
– K Ryan Succop was four of five on FGs during the practice. He missed from 37 yards, but then hit from 42, 46 and 49 yards. In the two-minute drill, he hit a 35-yard FG.
– Some players still don’t get it. For the second day in a row, NT Tank Tyler had to take a penalty run for jumping offsides. And rookie WR Quinten Lawrence was sent on a long run by Haley for not reacting to an interception while he was on the field.
– CB Maurice Leggett had another INT during the practice, grabbing QB Tyler Thigpen’s throw. Leggett with the ball is something that seems almost a daily occurrance. Also rookie CB Jackie Bates picked off QB Matt Gutierrez.