Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM  
Buck Buck is offline
Take a Chill Pill
 
Buck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Casino cash: $133349266
Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date

I'm not sure if its Star Trek 12 or Star Trek 2, but the release date is June 29, 2012.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/11...-nothing-else/

UPDATE: Paramount has confirmed to MTV that the projected release date for the "Star Trek" sequel is indeed June 29, 2012.

This counts as news, but there's not much to it. We all know there's a "Star Trek" sequel coming. Hell, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, writers/producers of the May reboot, were talking about sequel possibilities as far back as the week after the first movie came out. Now we have a date to pin our hopes to: June 29, 2012.

Nothing else is known or announced, so don't ask. Maybe director J.J. Abrams will return to helm the sequel, maybe he won't. Maybe Khan will be the villain, maybe not. For all we know, the plan is to give us an epic "Star Trek Meets Star Wars" crossover. Could happen, right?

The news comes from a variety of sources, including Ain't It Cool News and Box Office Mojo, but there's no Paramount-issued press release that I can find. The information ran through some trustworthy sources, but we've yet to receive comment from the studio directly.

Regardless, there really hasn't ever been any doubt that we'd be seeing more "Star Trek." Abrams' take on the series made it friendly to an entirely new, much wider audience than its ever known before.

Were you anything less than certain that a "Star Trek" sequel was coming eventually? Where would you like the story to go from where it is now? Any specific hopes for the sequel?
Posts: 41,599
Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #196
DaneMcCloud DaneMcCloud is offline
Band
 
DaneMcCloud's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The 'Wood
Casino cash: $10138218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn View Post
But that's the whole point/beauty of the alternate timeline/reboot concept. They aren't chained to what came previously.
I'm more concerned about the endings to Lost and Fringe and the abortion of a script that became Prometheus, than I am the alternate time line.

Kurtzman, Orci & Lindelof don't exactly have a great track record, IMO, with continuity or even logical thought.
Posts: 48,886
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #197
keg in kc keg in kc is offline
oxymoron
 
keg in kc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: OP/KC/Whatever
Casino cash: $1353421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I'm more concerned about the endings to Lost and Fringe and the abortion of a script that became Prometheus, than I am the alternate time line.

Kurtzman, Orci & Lindelof don't exactly have a great track record, IMO, with continuity or even logical thought.
Fortunately Star Trek has never really been particularly high-concept, hard science fiction.

(I say this as a long, long time fan).

Not that it hasn't had its moments of greatness.
Posts: 50,072
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #198
Red Brooklyn Red Brooklyn is offline
Veteran
 
Red Brooklyn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Casino cash: $57817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I'm more concerned about the endings to Lost and Fringe and the abortion of a script that became Prometheus, than I am the alternate time line.

Kurtzman, Orci & Lindelof don't exactly have a great track record, IMO, with continuity or even logical thought.
I just ask that it has it's own internal logic/continuity. I don't care how it ties/connects/etc to TOS. That's out the window now. This is it's own thing.
Posts: 3,397
Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #199
DaneMcCloud DaneMcCloud is offline
Band
 
DaneMcCloud's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The 'Wood
Casino cash: $10138218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn View Post
I just ask that it has it's own internal logic/continuity. I don't care how it ties/connects/etc to TOS. That's out the window now. This is it's own thing.
I don't care how it ties into the TOS, either.

As I stated earlier, I hope they don't **** it up, i.e., it makes sense within the universe they've created.

Up to this point, I've lost all faith in Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof to deliver a cogent, logical and conclusive plot.
Posts: 48,886
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #200
DaneMcCloud DaneMcCloud is offline
Band
 
DaneMcCloud's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The 'Wood
Casino cash: $10138218
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
Fortunately Star Trek has never really been particularly high-concept, hard science fiction.

(I say this as a long, long time fan).

Not that it hasn't had its moments of greatness.
I thought that the TOS had a fair amount of high-concept scripts and some cool, reality based science fiction.

That all went out the window when they introduced Time Travel in #4, which was used constantly from that point forward.

Once Time Travel becomes a major plot point, all bets are off and nothing truly exists, because Time Travel can erase everything.
Posts: 48,886
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #201
Red Brooklyn Red Brooklyn is offline
Veteran
 
Red Brooklyn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Casino cash: $57817
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I don't care how it ties into the TOS, either.

As I stated earlier, I hope they don't **** it up, i.e., it makes sense within the universe they've created.

Up to this point, I've lost all faith in Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof to deliver a cogent, logical and conclusive plot.
You said, "To me, it seems like they're taking characters from the Star Trek Universe and creating back stories that have absolutely no relation to the TOS. It's almost like they're in name only."

Which was primarily what I was responding to in my initial response to you. Your post implies that you care very much about how it relates to TOS.

Obviously, I misunderstood. My apologies.
Posts: 3,397
Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.Red Brooklyn would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #202
Douche Baggins Douche Baggins is online now
welp
 
Douche Baggins's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Casino cash: $10225560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Up to this point, I've lost all faith in Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof to deliver a cogent, logical and conclusive plot.


It'll be cool. Chris Pine is William Shatner 2.0.
Posts: 162,942
Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.Douche Baggins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #203
keg in kc keg in kc is offline
oxymoron
 
keg in kc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: OP/KC/Whatever
Casino cash: $1353421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I thought that the TOS had a fair amount of high-concept scripts and some cool, reality based science fiction.
It did, but it also had some just god-awful ones too.

I think "The City on the Edge of Forever" by Harlan Ellison is still my one of favorite episodes of anything all time (and would I think have been even better without Roddenberry's typical utopian future meddling with the script but that's another discussion).

Ironically I guess, since we're talking about the foibles of time travel.
Posts: 50,072
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #204
DaneMcCloud DaneMcCloud is offline
Band
 
DaneMcCloud's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The 'Wood
Casino cash: $10138218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn View Post
You said, "To me, it seems like they're taking characters from the Star Trek Universe and creating back stories that have absolutely no relation to the TOS. It's almost like they're in name only."

Which was primarily what I was responding to in my initial response to you. Your post implies that you care very much about how it relates to TOS.

Obviously, I misunderstood. My apologies.
No, I DO NOT care how it relates to the TOS.

I care that there is a script and plot that actually makes sense, which is something I do not know if Orci, Kurtzman or Lindelof can deliver, based on their well-documented prior failures.
Posts: 48,886
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #205
DaneMcCloud DaneMcCloud is offline
Band
 
DaneMcCloud's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The 'Wood
Casino cash: $10138218
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
It did, but it also had some just god-awful ones too.

I think "The City on the Edge of Forever" by Harlan Ellison is still my one of favorite episodes of anything all time (and would I think have been even better without Roddenberry's typical utopian future meddling with the script but that's another discussion).

Ironically I guess, since we're talking about the foibles of time travel.
That was certainly one of my favorites, as was "Mirror, Mirror", which is just outright silly but fun.

"City" didn't actually alter the events of time, did it? I can't remember.
Posts: 48,886
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #206
keg in kc keg in kc is offline
oxymoron
 
keg in kc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: OP/KC/Whatever
Casino cash: $1353421
Balance of Terror is another one I will always watch if it's on.

If I remember right (it's been years since I saw it...), Edith Keeler had to die to keep the Nazis from taking over the world. McCoy had changed history saving her from a car wreck and Kirk had to un-change it. Or something like that. And Kirk being Kirk...he had to hook up with her and complicate things.

On the flip side...we had Bread and Circuses...and a wide variety of episodes featuring various and sundry space hippies.

Last edited by keg in kc; 12-11-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Posts: 50,072
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #207
mnchiefsguy mnchiefsguy is offline
MVP
 
mnchiefsguy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Casino cash: $11129682
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoman69 View Post
So she would have joined Starfleet if Kirk's father didn't die?

What relationship did Carol Marcus have with Kirk's father?
__________________
Posts: 6,767
mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.mnchiefsguy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #208
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $168605
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
Balance of Terror is another one I will always watch if it's on.

If I remember right (it's been years since I saw it...), Edith Keeler had to die to keep the Nazis from taking over the world. McCoy had changed history saving her from a car wreck and Kirk had to un-change it. Or something like that. And Kirk being Kirk...he had to hook up with her and complicate things.

On the flip side...we had Bread and Circuses...and a wide variety of episodes featuring various and sundry space hippies.
Balance of Terror was the one where they fought the Romulons ship to ship. Excellent episode.

The one you are talking about is City on the Edge of Forever with Joan Collins. Both from the 1st and "best" season of TOS. 2nd Season was decent too, but not quite as good......3rd season really blew for the most part and has some horribly dated episodes like the Space Hippies.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 47,700
Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #209
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $168605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Balance of Terror was the one where they fought the Romulons ship to ship. Excellent episode.

The one you are talking about is City on the Edge of Forever with Joan Collins. Both from the 1st and "best" season of TOS. 2nd Season was decent too, but not quite as good......3rd season really blew for the most part and has some horribly dated episodes like the Space Hippies.
Oh wait....duh, sorry didnt read your above posts.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 47,700
Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Deberg_1990 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #210
Frazod Frazod is offline
Banned
 
Frazod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: my own personal pig hell
Casino cash: $1001187
My favorite TOS episode is Doomsday Machine. I sure wouldn't mind them working Decker and the planet killer into a future movie.
Posts: 91,143
Frazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.