Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM  
dirk digler dirk digler is offline
Please squeeze
 
dirk digler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clinton, MO
Casino cash: $185712
New Apple Tablet

Cool stuff. On Engadget live right now

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...est&refresh=30

Posts: 48,194
dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #631
AustinChief AustinChief is online now
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $1701006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
It's already useful. Just not for you.



If you say so. I disagree, but whatever. You obviously don't value my opinion, anyway.
True, if I liked reading ebooks it would be useful to me... I guess it's ok for movies that I own, but otherwise it just doesn't have much use for me at all. (although I admit if I still read comics, that would actually be a great method.. hadn't thought of that before)

I am not saying Google WILL put its weight behind VP8 as the new HTML5 standard video format... but if they DO, they have the muscle to make it stick.. FAR more than Apple and even more than MS
Posts: 14,280
AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #632
AustinChief AustinChief is online now
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $1701006
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/01/h-2...8TechCrunch%29

They make my exact argument and not only that but don't dispute the numbers you dispute with Jobs. I'm not saying TC is the end all be all, far from it, but I do know what I'm talking about - technicalities aside, which you've proven more knowledgeable on.

Actually, I'm essentially making the consumers' argument. From a practical standpoint, they aren't missing much video purchasing an Apple device RIGHT NOW..
You just refuse to listen man. h264 is a CODEC.. 100% of the web could be h264 and without sites using html5 or flash or another plugin.. it's not accessible. SO YES, ipad users are missing quite a bit of video... because very few sites (regardless of the fact that their video may be h264) use html5 to deliver it...

Even quite a few "ipad ready" sites only have the most recent content in html5... and often not all of THAT.

Unless Google pushes VP8, then EVENTUALLY h264 will be part of html5 and html5 will spread ... but people in the industry are still taking a wait and see approach until we KNOW.. Google will clear alot up this month ... but EITHER WAY.. by the time the gaping holes start to fill in... the ipad will have been made obsolete by the next big thing.

Right now it's all form and very little function (unless used primarily as an ereader a point I conceded from the get go)
Posts: 14,280
AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #633
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $100998
By the time the "next big thing" is actually released, the iPad will be updated.
Posts: 16,982
Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #634
AustinChief AustinChief is online now
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $1701006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
By the time the "next big thing" is actually released, the iPad will be updated.
I totally agree, and if HTML5 is ubiquitous and the "new" iPad is head and shoulders above the rest without being priced off the charts and I have a need... I'd buy one... I am not against ALL Apple products . I have had great experiences with MACs in the past.

Hell my first PC was an Apple IIc. One of my first book reports was on the book WOZ, about Apple founder Steve Wozniak.

I have a feeling that there will soon be a slew of cheaper more powerful slates running open source OSes... hopefully Chromium based... but I'd settle for webOS if it can be made more robust. Just not sold on Android and can't stand iPhoneOS.

My point has been all along... why buy a device NOW that won't realize full functionality for more than likely a year or more... seems like more of a status/form move than one based on actually need or functionality.

as always, I exempt the use as an ebook/ecomic reader and pure travel movie viewer... if that is the majority of what you need.. it seems to fit the bill just fine.
Posts: 14,280
AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #635
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
You just refuse to listen man. h264 is a CODEC.. 100% of the web could be h264 and without sites using html5 or flash or another plugin.. it's not accessible. SO YES, ipad users are missing quite a bit of video... because very few sites (regardless of the fact that their video may be h264) use html5 to deliver it...
Heed your own words. THEY CAN ACCESS THOSE VIDEOS NOW WITHOUT FLASH OR HTML5.

Quote:
Even quite a few "ipad ready" sites only have the most recent content in html5... and often not all of THAT.
See above.

Quote:
Unless Google pushes VP8, then EVENTUALLY h264 will be part of html5 and html5 will spread ... but people in the industry are still taking a wait and see approach until we KNOW.. Google will clear alot up this month ... but EITHER WAY.. by the time the gaping holes start to fill in... the ipad will have been made obsolete by the next big thing.


Quote:
Right now it's all form and very little function (unless used primarily as an ereader a point I conceded from the get go)


Seriously, you have no clue. The iPad is not the end all be all but it might as well be a paper weight as far as you're concerned.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #636
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $2230707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
I just put 30 gb worth of comics on mine. Holy ****. AWESOME.
Just got mine 3G version Friday. What are the comics you put on there.?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 23,468
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #637
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $2230707
Oh and posting from it now. I really like this little turd
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 23,468
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #638
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
I totally agree, and if HTML5 is ubiquitous and the "new" iPad is head and shoulders above the rest without being priced off the charts and I have a need... I'd buy one... I am not against ALL Apple products . I have had great experiences with MACs in the past.

Hell my first PC was an Apple IIc. One of my first book reports was on the book WOZ, about Apple founder Steve Wozniak.

I have a feeling that there will soon be a slew of cheaper more powerful slates running open source OSes... hopefully Chromium based... but I'd settle for webOS if it can be made more robust. Just not sold on Android and can't stand iPhoneOS.

My point has been all along... why buy a device NOW that won't realize full functionality for more than likely a year or more... seems like more of a status/form move than one based on actually need or functionality.

as always, I exempt the use as an ebook/ecomic reader and pure travel movie viewer... if that is the majority of what you need.. it seems to fit the bill just fine.
I just do not get your logic here. Not one iota of brain usage.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #639
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $100998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lane View Post
Just got mine 3G version Friday. What are the comics you put on there.?
I bought Comic Zeal and put some comics that I downloaded a long time ago on it. It's cool, because it reads CBR, CBZ, RAR, JPG and PDF formats. I think it does some other formats, too, but I don't have any comics in those.
Posts: 16,982
Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #640
AustinChief AustinChief is online now
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $1701006
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
Heed your own words. THEY CAN ACCESS THOSE VIDEOS NOW WITHOUT FLASH OR HTML5.



See above.









Seriously, you have no clue. The iPad is not the end all be all but it might as well be a paper weight as far as you're concerned.
They can only access video that a site makes available as either HTML5 or using device-based transcoding... most DO NOT.... most have the video served via FLASH.

just because a video is encoded using h264 doesn't mean there is some magic way that apple can force a company to make it available... yes the iPad has a native h264 player built in... that would be the same as an h264 plugin, or QT or Flash plugin basically... here is the problem... VERY VERY VERY FEW sites are coded to make their video available directly to you in this way.

MOST video (though encoded using h264) is ONLY available using Flash.

Don't tell me I don't have a clue... I have tried and tried to explain the REALITY of this to you... but you continue to blunder about in the dark.

Sorry to be an asshole but it's insulting how you have lectured on this from the beginning when this is my field that I work in daily and have for many years... I truly do know what I'm talking about.
Posts: 14,280
AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #641
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
They can only access video that a site makes available as either HTML5 or using device-based transcoding... most DO NOT.... most have the video served via FLASH.
No, they do not. I have demonstrated it by my own video in this thread. You just will not concede.

Quote:
just because a video is encoded using h264 doesn't mean there is some magic way that apple can force a company to make it available... yes the iPad has a native h264 player built in... that would be the same as an h264 plugin, or QT or Flash plugin basically... here is the problem... VERY VERY VERY FEW sites are coded to make their video available directly to you in this way.
More than you're making it out to be. There are plenty. WSJ, NYT, many porn sites. I've said it again and again, they make flash degrading pages AND they're making iPad specific ones - guess what, no flash means no content on iPad. Companies don't want that. Thus, they make a degrading page or an altogether different page.

You're right. Apple can't force them. But they are changing, anyway.

Quote:
MOST video (though encoded using h264) is ONLY available using Flash.
, this shows that you know the technical side but almost zero on the practical/user side. Almost all of YouTube is H264 WITHOUT flash, if you want. That, of course, is their going HTML5, but even if it wasn't, they could still play it with the current version of HTML5.

Quote:
Don't tell me I don't have a clue... I have tried and tried to explain the REALITY of this to you... but you continue to blunder about in the dark.
You've told me the technical specifications. Yes, it's a codec. Yes, it needs a plugin.

What you haven't seen is that the web is full of those things already. Flash is irrelevant. HTML5 is nearer. And, most importantly, the iPad doesn't need HTML5 to survive. IT can view h264 video RIGHT NOW. Which has been my point.

Quote:
Sorry to be an asshole but it's insulting how you have lectured on this from the beginning when this is my field that I work in daily and have for many years... I truly do know what I'm talking about.
Go to my link on an iPad or iPhone. Tell me it doesn't work. Please do.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #642
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Silock or Zach.

Since you have them, would you mind telling us if my video: http://kobrien15.webfactional.com/DAVTAKE5.mov

Plays on the iPad?
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #643
Silock Silock is offline
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $100998
Yes, it does.
Posts: 16,982
Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Silock is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #644
AustinChief AustinChief is online now
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $1701006
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjayhawk View Post
No, they do not. I have demonstrated it by my own video in this thread. You just will not concede.
You won't give up even when you don't know shite about the subject... that is a ****ING DIRECT LINK.. how many sites want to go back to 1996 and throwing direct links to raw video online???

Quote:
What you haven't seen is that the web is full of those things already. Flash is irrelevant. HTML5 is nearer. And, most importantly, the iPad doesn't need HTML5 to survive. IT can view h264 video RIGHT NOW. Which has been my point.

Go to my link on an iPad or iPhone. Tell me it doesn't work. Please do.
yes it can view h264 video, never argued that.. but MOST SITES DON'T OFFER video up in HTML5(yet, and maybe never for h264 if the standard goes VP8) or as a direct link like a high school kid might.

You're out of your element here Donnie.

I'm going to go ahead and tour my regular pattern of sites with FLASH off and HTML5 enabled (Chrome) and see how much it sucks... do you need screenshots???
Posts: 14,280
AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #645
NewChief NewChief is offline
Greenbacker and Loving Liberal
 
NewChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Casino cash: $172843
1 million sold:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20
__________________
In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.
- H. L. Mencken
Posts: 19,005
NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.