Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM  
Baby Lee Baby Lee is offline
Cake Boss!!
 
Baby Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 456 Lick My Butthole Lane
Casino cash: $127512
A short exposition on how stupid we are

If some would indulge me a couple of short reads, came across this today and was just gobsmacked.
Taking Malcolm Gladwell to task for, nearly a year ago, criticizing To Kill A Mockingbird, for demonstrating "the limitations of liberalism."
The twit doesn't even recognize that the title subscript is "Atticus Finch and the limits of Southern liberalism." And she certainly doesn't take the time to see that Gladwell was exploring the difference between liberalizing on the local and individual level through example and liberalizing through Activism at the Federal level. Heaven forbid she be the least bit cognizant of the tradeoffs between local approach, with its attendant slow pace and occasional tragic setbacks, and the federal approach, with its attendant fast pace and often more tragic backlash and retrenchment.

No lets just say 'they're attacking liberals, ain't this a bitch' and hunker down into gender politics as a pat answer for a question the author didn't even pose.

End rant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jesse-..._b_641473.html

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_gladwell
Posts: 38,681
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
orange orange is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Casino cash: $70871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
The twit doesn't even recognize that the title subscript is "Atticus Finch and the limits of Southern liberalism." And she certainly doesn't take the time to see that Gladwell was exploring the difference between liberalizing on the local and individual level through example and liberalizing through Activism at the Federal level. Heaven forbid she be the least bit cognizant of the tradeoffs between local approach, with its attendant slow pace and occasional tragic setbacks, and the federal approach, with its attendant fast pace and often more tragic backlash and retrenchment.

No lets just say 'they're attacking liberals, ain't this a bitch' and hunker down into gender politics as a pat answer for a question the author didn't even pose.

End rant.
Who's this SHE you're talking about?


related: Have you ever noticed how when someone posts a rebuke of someone else's post over some spelling or grammatical error, that critic almost always commits a similar error? I'm sure psychologists could have a field day with this.

Last edited by orange; 07-12-2010 at 01:12 PM..
Posts: 11,661
orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.orange Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
The Mad Crapper The Mad Crapper is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sea of Green 23.4°
Casino cash: $45794
KC Naive is a shut-in like Boo Radley.
Posts: 8,657
The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.The Mad Crapper would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Frazod Loves Hammy
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $88766
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Crapper View Post
KC Naive is a shut-in like Boo Radley.
__________________
"“Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration has been minding my own business.”" — Calvin Coolidge
Posts: 53,048
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
irishjayhawk irishjayhawk is offline
Feelin' Alright
 
irishjayhawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Casino cash: $36445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
If some would indulge me a couple of short reads, came across this today and was just gobsmacked.
Taking Malcolm Gladwell to task for, nearly a year ago, criticizing To Kill A Mockingbird, for demonstrating "the limitations of liberalism."
The twit doesn't even recognize that the title subscript is "Atticus Finch and the limits of Southern liberalism." And she certainly doesn't take the time to see that Gladwell was exploring the difference between liberalizing on the local and individual level through example and liberalizing through Activism at the Federal level. Heaven forbid she be the least bit cognizant of the tradeoffs between local approach, with its attendant slow pace and occasional tragic setbacks, and the federal approach, with its attendant fast pace and often more tragic backlash and retrenchment.

No lets just say 'they're attacking liberals, ain't this a bitch' and hunker down into gender politics as a pat answer for a question the author didn't even pose.

End rant.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jesse-..._b_641473.html

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._fact_gladwell
Pretty much goes for all reporting these days. Rarely is a there an even take on an issue. What you're mad about is pretty much the same as the death panel smears.

Sadly, Gladwell can be taken to task many ways but this isn't one of them. (anecdotal evidence reliance is one of the biggies) I love reading him but critics are right, his reasoning is flawed most of the time.
__________________
"Think about how stupid the average person is. Then remember that half the people in the world are stupider than that." --George Carlin
Posts: 16,887
irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.irishjayhawk is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Jenson71 Jenson71 is offline
fides quaerens intellectum
 
Jenson71's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Iowa
Casino cash: $17125
Atticus Finch is not a feminized man. That's ridiculous.
Posts: 5,342
Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
vailpass vailpass is offline
Yah Mules!
 
vailpass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $99231064
Pass the damn ham.
Posts: 36,263
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
RJ RJ is offline
Bon vivant....occasionally.
 
RJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: In a shotgun shack
Casino cash: $3707
Kathleen Parker didn't like what Gladwell had to say either.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...15.html?sub=AR
Posts: 14,760
RJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Baby Lee Baby Lee is offline
Cake Boss!!
 
Baby Lee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 456 Lick My Butthole Lane
Casino cash: $127512
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
Kathleen Parker didn't like what Gladwell had to say either.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...15.html?sub=AR
That's a more erudite criticism, but I don't see Gladwell bemoaning the content of TKaM as observing that it encapsulated a failed [in his opinion] approach to social change. It seems to me that Gladwell isn't so much opposed to the lessons TKaM teaches as making the case that those lessons need to be re-examined, more critically examined, in present society.

I don't have examples at my fingertips, but surely there are myriad other 'great works' that provide rich moral issues that are resolved in manners much different than we'd resolve them today.
__________________
#geekyporn - Star Wars, but with ****in' - it's a wokring title #secondseacrest
Posts: 38,681
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
petegz28 petegz28 is offline
Supporter
 
petegz28's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Olathe, Ks
Casino cash: $244093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson71 View Post
Atticus Finch is not a feminized man. That's ridiculous.
I have to agree with you here. The HuffPost link says kindness and empathy are typically traits found in women.

I am here to say that not only can women be some of the most cruel, unkind and unempathetic people, a real man is kind and empathetic.
__________________
"Finally, anyone who uses the terms, irregardless, a whole nother, or all of a sudden shall be sentenced to a work camp."

Stewie Griffin
Posts: 62,057
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
RJ RJ is offline
Bon vivant....occasionally.
 
RJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: In a shotgun shack
Casino cash: $3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
That's a more erudite criticism, but I don't see Gladwell bemoaning the content of TKaM as observing that it encapsulated a failed [in his opinion] approach to social change. It seems to me that Gladwell isn't so much opposed to the lessons TKaM teaches as making the case that those lessons need to be re-examined, more critically examined, in present society.

I don't have examples at my fingertips, but surely there are myriad other 'great works' that provide rich moral issues that are resolved in manners much different than we'd resolve them today.

I guess I don't understand why Gladwell is critiquing the actions of a fictional character 50 years old. My expectations of people from my grandparent's generation are considerably different than my expectations of people today. Admittedly, I don't qualify as a literary scholar.
Posts: 14,760
RJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
Baby Lee Baby Lee is offline
Cake Boss!!
 
Baby Lee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 456 Lick My Butthole Lane
Casino cash: $127512
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
I guess I don't understand why Gladwell is critiquing the actions of a fictional character 50 years old. My expectations of people from my grandparent's generation are considerably different than my expectations of people today. Admittedly, I don't qualify as a literary scholar.
Can't have anything to do with it being one of the most taught novels today in HS?
__________________
#geekyporn - Star Wars, but with ****in' - it's a wokring title #secondseacrest
Posts: 38,681
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
Hydrae Hydrae is offline
MVP
 
Hydrae's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin, Tx
Casino cash: $66752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Can't have anything to do with it being one of the most taught novels today in HS?
My son will be going into his sophmore year of HS this fall and is expected to have read TKaM over the summer. Interestingly, I just saw the movie for a class I took a couple of months ago. I had never seen or read it before.
Posts: 10,286
Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.Hydrae would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
RJ RJ is offline
Bon vivant....occasionally.
 
RJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: In a shotgun shack
Casino cash: $3707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Can't have anything to do with it being one of the most taught novels today in HS?

Maybe. Like I said, I don't know. Is it generally taught in literature/ English type classes or social studies type classes?
Posts: 14,760
RJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRJ 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Baby Lee Baby Lee is offline
Cake Boss!!
 
Baby Lee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 456 Lick My Butthole Lane
Casino cash: $127512
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
Maybe. Like I said, I don't know. Is it generally taught in literature/ English type classes or social studies type classes?
I believe it's the second most taught behind Huck Finn.
__________________
#geekyporn - Star Wars, but with ****in' - it's a wokring title #secondseacrest
Posts: 38,681
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.