Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 03:51 PM  
crispystl420 crispystl420 is offline
Veteran
 
crispystl420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Casino cash: $5000
Home brewing

Anyone do it? Any good suggestions for a starter kit? It looks like it's about the same cost you would pay for decent beer from the store is this accurate?
Posts: 3,337
crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.crispystl420 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
Chiefs Rool Chiefs Rool is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Top City
Casino cash: $5000
it would be good to learn. If we are ever in apocalypse mode, the knowledge of how to brew good beer would be extremely good.
Posts: 1,543
Chiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #32
Lzen Lzen is offline
MVP
 
Lzen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Earth
Casino cash: $5297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool View Post
it would be good to learn. If we are ever in apocalypse mode, the knowledge of how to brew good beer would be extremely good.


Do you know why I find this comment amusing?

Its because I thought the exact same thing.
__________________
I haven't seen a beatin' like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose.
Posts: 30,262
Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
1moreTRich 1moreTRich is offline
Starter
 
1moreTRich's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Casino cash: $5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by warispeace View Post
Yep, a good sanitizing solution is a must for home brewing. Especially when you reuse bottles.

Also, after you drink them, make sure you rinse out the bottles with water if you plan on reusing them. Otherwise you can get mold growing in the bottom, which is a pain to scrub out.
Yeah, that's when the Oxyclean really comes in handy. Let it soak in moldy bottles for a bit and it is good to go.

Also, would highly recommend picking up some StarSan. It is a sanitizer that is no rinse and only requires 30 seconds of contact time. I save a gallon in milkjug and reuse it over and over again. One bottle can last a very long time if you reuse. "One step" is serviceable, but StarSan is awesome stuff.
Posts: 206
1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #34
googlegoogle googlegoogle is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Casino cash: $5000
Posts: 4,698
googlegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Casselgooglegoogle < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #35
Chiefs Rool Chiefs Rool is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Top City
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post


Do you know why I find this comment amusing?

Its because I thought the exact same thing.
it doesn't seem worth the trouble otherwise with the wonderful uprising of mico breweries and smallers breweries that are producing fantastic beer and most liquor stores carry them now.
Posts: 1,543
Chiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutChiefs Rool is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #36
Reerun_KC Reerun_KC is offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawks! KU!!!
 
Reerun_KC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas Jayhawks
Casino cash: $6052
I would love to have a still....
Posts: 44,503
Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Reerun_KC 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #37
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $5315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool View Post
it doesn't seem worth the trouble otherwise with the wonderful uprising of mico breweries and smallers breweries that are producing fantastic beer and most liquor stores carry them now.
It's been worth it for me. If you want to really understand beer, understand how and why different styles taste the way they do, then brewing is a great way to gain that knowledge.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,541
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #38
1moreTRich 1moreTRich is offline
Starter
 
1moreTRich's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Casino cash: $5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool View Post
it doesn't seem worth the trouble otherwise with the wonderful uprising of mico breweries and smallers breweries that are producing fantastic beer and most liquor stores carry them now.
It's been worth it for me. If you want to really understand beer, understand how and why different styles taste the way they do, then brewing is a great way to gain that knowledge.
Plus, right now with my setup and bulk grain buys through my brewing club, I can produce a 5 gallon batch for as low as $15 (around 48 12oz bottles). If I want to make a higher gravity brew or IPA with alot of hops it will cost more, but still fairly cheap. I have spent that much on a 6 pack of good quality microbrew. Also, I can imitate a any brew I want and make beers that are particular to my taste preference. Cloning brews that aren't available in my area is also a big plus for me. I have a Bells Two-Hearted Ale recipe that is damn near spot on.
Posts: 206
1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #39
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $5315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreTRich View Post
Plus, right now with my setup and bulk grain buys through my brewing club, I can produce a 5 gallon batch for as low as $15 (around 48 12oz bottles). If I want to make a higher gravity brew or IPA with alot of hops it will cost more, but still fairly cheap. I have spent that much on a 6 pack of good quality microbrew. Also, I can imitate a any brew I want and make beers that are particular to my taste preference. Cloning brews that aren't available in my area is also a big plus for me. I have a Bells Two-Hearted Ale recipe that is damn near spot on.
The Bell's Two-Hearted clone recipe is my absolute go-to.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,541
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #40
Lzen Lzen is offline
MVP
 
Lzen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Earth
Casino cash: $5297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreTRich View Post
I have a Bells Two-Hearted Ale recipe that is damn near spot on.
Oh rly?
__________________
I haven't seen a beatin' like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose.
Posts: 30,262
Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
1moreTRich 1moreTRich is offline
Starter
 
1moreTRich's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Casino cash: $5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
Oh rly?
Its all grain, but I'm sure I could convert it over for you. The only issue I would have is I use Vienna as a part of the grain bill, and I don't know how you would get that flavor with anything but all grain or partial mash. Any suggestions Reaper?

You could still do it, it would just be a little bit different. I just love the flavor that Vienna gives to beer, its probably one of my favorite malts.

All Grain Recipe (note this was modified off of a recipe on Homebrewtalk, so can't take all the credit):

Grain:
10lbs 2 row
2lbs Vienna
8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 15L
Mash at 152 for 60mins

Hops:
.75oz Centennial 60mins
.25oz Centennial 45mins
1oz Centennial 15mins
1oz Centennial 5mins
1oz Centennial 1min
1oz Centennial Dry Hop - 7 Days

Yeast:
Safale 05


To switch to extract the grain bill would change to something like:

7lbs Golden Light DME

Steeping Grains:
8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 15L
Step at 155-160 degrees for 30mins

Everything else would stay the same.
Posts: 206
1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #42
Monty Monty is offline
It's Me Little Buddy!!
 
Monty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefs Rool View Post
it would be good to learn. If we are ever in apocalypse mode, the knowledge of how to brew good beer would be extremely good.
That reminds me. I need to learn how to grow tobacco so I can roll my own cigars. Another critical skillset needed in the post apocalyptic world IMO.
Posts: 1,951
Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.Monty would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #43
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $5315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreTRich View Post
Its all grain, but I'm sure I could convert it over for you. The only issue I would have is I use Vienna as a part of the grain bill, and I don't know how you would get that flavor with anything but all grain or partial mash. Any suggestions Reaper?

You could still do it, it would just be a little bit different. I just love the flavor that Vienna gives to beer, its probably one of my favorite malts.

All Grain Recipe (note this was modified off of a recipe on Homebrewtalk, so can't take all the credit):

Grain:
10lbs 2 row
2lbs Vienna
8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 15L
Mash at 152 for 60mins

Hops:
.75oz Centennial 60mins
.25oz Centennial 45mins
1oz Centennial 15mins
1oz Centennial 5mins
1oz Centennial 1min
1oz Centennial Dry Hop - 7 Days

Yeast:
Safale 05


To switch to extract the grain bill would change to something like:

7lbs Golden Light DME

Steeping Grains:
8oz Carapils
8oz Crystal 15L
Step at 155-160 degrees for 30mins

Everything else would stay the same.
I don't have any suggestions for replicating the recipe using extract. I always brew all-grain, and I actually learned using all-grain. I don't have one lick of experience brewing with malt extract.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,541
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #44
1moreTRich 1moreTRich is offline
Starter
 
1moreTRich's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Casino cash: $5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
I don't have any suggestions for replicating the recipe using extract. I always brew all-grain, and I actually learned using all-grain. I don't have one lick of experience brewing with malt extract.
I did about 5 batches of extract before switching to all grain. I haven't done a conversion in about 2 years. I had to look up what temp to steep at and the grain to extract conversion calculator, lol.
Posts: 206
1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #45
Lzen Lzen is offline
MVP
 
Lzen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Earth
Casino cash: $5297
What do you guys think about this?

__________________
I haven't seen a beatin' like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose.
Posts: 30,262
Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.Lzen is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.