Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 AM  
HonestChieffan HonestChieffan is offline
Country Santa Year Around
 
HonestChieffan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In the Country in MO
Casino cash: $1256012
Off Season Lets Talk Guns

Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.


Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?



Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?

Last edited by HonestChieffan; 09-16-2011 at 07:21 PM..
Posts: 26,847
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #1351
Dunit35 Dunit35 is offline
Keepin it Real
 
Dunit35's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Casino cash: $2004441
Picked up a 3-9x42 scope, single handguard rail and sling mount today at the gun show. Sighting it in tomorrow. Almost finished customizing it. I'd like an engraved dust cover and trigger replacement.
Posts: 8,786
Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #1352
TrebMaxx TrebMaxx is offline
Postaphobic
 
TrebMaxx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Peoples Republic of CoMo
Casino cash: $272859
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Alright, here is the scenario:



I have an opportunity to buy an brand new Saiga AK-47 fully converted with muzzle brake for $425.

I can get 2160 rounds for around $300 (Wolf Shit).


AK guys, tell me I am an idiot for not jumping all over this.
Not sure about the price on the Saiga but my Romanian AK handles the Wolf Shit all day long.
__________________
Posts: 2,795
TrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliTrebMaxx 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #1353
Bwana Bwana is offline
GONE FISHING
 
Bwana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Billings, Montana
Casino cash: $2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
It look like she (and the horse) are headed to NY to visit David Letterman. I'm going to have to check that one out.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...cc4c03286.html
__________________
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one...
you'll probably never need one again.


Posts: 46,874
Bwana has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #1354
Raiderhader Raiderhader is offline
SteelSkull
 
Raiderhader's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Strawberry Hill
Casino cash: $636567
I've decided it's time to build a zombie killer of my own. I'm going to go the AR-10 route. Now that I've decided on the basic platform I want I can start looking at specifics, uppers, lowers, barrels, goodies....

This will be my first time building a weapon, so if anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips they will be most welcome.
__________________
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, and disregard of all the rules."

-- George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant


Posts: 16,788
Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #1355
Frazod Frazod is offline
Banned
 
Frazod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: my own personal pig hell
Casino cash: $1001187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderhader View Post
I've decided it's time to build a zombie killer of my own. I'm going to go the AR-10 route. Now that I've decided on the basic platform I want I can start looking at specifics, uppers, lowers, barrels, goodies....

This will be my first time building a weapon, so if anyone has any suggestions or helpful tips they will be most welcome.
I've been at this for about a year now. Some lessons I've learned:

1. Don't buy shit on line just because it looks cool. Determine from the start what purpose your rifle will serve, be it weekend shooting at the range, hunting, storming houses, etc. and buy stuff specific to that purpose. If the extent of your shooting will be a 100-yard rifle range, there's probably not much point in dropping major bucks for a long range scope, for example.

2. YouTube is your friend. If you're curious about something, chances are there are a dozen videos floating around on the subject. I've been able to install stuff myself that I would have never thought I could before from watching videos of other people doing the same thing.

3. Check product reviews, and gun forums, and don't hesitate to ask questions. You can easily buy stuff that won't work for your purposes if you don't pay attention to the fine print.

4. You can find an amazing amount of stuff on Amazon.com. Other good sites are Cheaperthandirt, Opticsplanet, Brownells and PrimaryArms.

5. If you can afford an EOTech red dot and magnifier, get it. It'll set you back around $1,000, though. I went the Lucid route, got a set up that's somewhat comparable, for around $400. But I wish I had the EOTech.

6. There's a shit ton of useful information in this thread. Take advantage of it.

Have fun!
Posts: 91,143
Frazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #1356
Raiderhader Raiderhader is offline
SteelSkull
 
Raiderhader's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Strawberry Hill
Casino cash: $636567
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazod View Post
I've been at this for about a year now. Some lessons I've learned:

1. Don't buy shit on line just because it looks cool. Determine from the start what purpose your rifle will serve, be it weekend shooting at the range, hunting, storming houses, etc. and buy stuff specific to that purpose. If the extent of your shooting will be a 100-yard rifle range, there's probably not much point in dropping major bucks for a long range scope, for example.
That is part of why I have put this off so long, trying to determine exactly what I wanted. I've got a pretty good idea of what I want, and need, in the end result.

Quote:
2. YouTube is your friend. If you're curious about something, chances are there are a dozen videos floating around on the subject. I've been able to install stuff myself that I would have never thought I could before from watching videos of other people doing the same thing.
And to think, I didn't "get" that site when first started becoming popular. It is amazing what you can find on there.

Quote:
3. Check product reviews, and gun forums, and don't hesitate to ask questions. You can easily buy stuff that won't work for your purposes if you don't pay attention to the fine print.
Sounds about like me.....

Quote:
4. You can find an amazing amount of stuff on Amazon.com. Other good sites are Cheaperthandirt, Opticsplanet, Brownells and PrimaryArms.
Book marked.

Quote:
5. If you can afford an EOTech red dot and magnifier, get it. It'll set you back around $1,000, though. I went the Lucid route, got a set up that's somewhat comparable, for around $400. But I wish I had the EOTech.
I'm leaning towards a Trijicon ACOG at this point, but we'll see. That is towards the end of the build, I've time to further research and compare in that department.


Quote:
6. There's a shit ton of useful information in this thread. Take advantage of it.
Yep, read it front to back yesterday. I did not see a whole of discussion on actually assembling a weapon piece by piece, mostly upgrading (which is helpful in it's own way).

Quote:
Have fun!
Oh, I intend too.
__________________
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, and disregard of all the rules."

-- George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant


Posts: 16,788
Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #1357
Frazod Frazod is offline
Banned
 
Frazod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: my own personal pig hell
Casino cash: $1001187
Damn, getting the ACOG, eh? That's certainly the gold standard. That's out of my price range (if I dropped that much on one addition to the rifle I fear the wife would use it on me). Let me know how you like it. Never seen one in real life.

A great example of buying cool shit you don't need is my pistol grip/flashlight holder that fits on the bottom of the foregrip. It's extremely functional - if you're storming a building in the dark. At the range, however, it's useless. Adds needless weight and just gets in the way. The day may come when that it will come in handy, so I'm keeping it, but for now it's basically $150 worth of junk sitting in a drawer.

Some additions I'd recommend (and if you've got the scratch to pick up an ACOG, you can afford these) Magpul stock (either ACS or UBR), and a Geissele competition trigger. I also just upgraded to a free float 11" battle rail that should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. I'll probably install that bad boy over the weekend.
Posts: 91,143
Frazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #1358
Raiderhader Raiderhader is offline
SteelSkull
 
Raiderhader's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Strawberry Hill
Casino cash: $636567
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazod View Post
Damn, getting the ACOG, eh? That's certainly the gold standard. That's out of my price range (if I dropped that much on one addition to the rifle I fear the wife would use it on me). Let me know how you like it. Never seen one in real life.

A great example of buying cool shit you don't need is my pistol grip/flashlight holder that fits on the bottom of the foregrip. It's extremely functional - if you're storming a building in the dark. At the range, however, it's useless. Adds needless weight and just gets in the way. The day may come when that it will come in handy, so I'm keeping it, but for now it's basically $150 worth of junk sitting in a drawer.

Some additions I'd recommend (and if you've got the scratch to pick up an ACOG, you can afford these) Magpul stock (either ACS or UBR), and a Geissele competition trigger. I also just upgraded to a free float 11" battle rail that should be waiting for me when I get home tonight. I'll probably install that bad boy over the weekend.

Yeah I like the look of the foregrips but growing up learning to shoot with out one I'm afraid I wont use it. Now a tactical flashlight is a must for when I'm out the pasture or woods hunting wild doggies or wild piggies.

One of the reasons for building versus buying and up grading is I can do it slowly as I have the money, which is how I can afford to get what I want from a hardware stand point and add toys like an ACOG. This will be a somewhat timely process, but it will be worth it in the end when I have EXACTLY what I want.
__________________
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, and disregard of all the rules."

-- George Orwell, Shooting an Elephant


Posts: 16,788
Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.Raiderhader is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #1359
Frazod Frazod is offline
Banned
 
Frazod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: my own personal pig hell
Casino cash: $1001187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderhader View Post
Yeah I like the look of the foregrips but growing up learning to shoot with out one I'm afraid I wont use it. Now a tactical flashlight is a must for when I'm out the pasture or woods hunting wild doggies or wild piggies.

One of the reasons for building versus buying and up grading is I can do it slowly as I have the money, which is how I can afford to get what I want from a hardware stand point and add toys like an ACOG. This will be a somewhat timely process, but it will be worth it in the end when I have EXACTLY what I want.
I've got well over $1,000 in upgrades to the base rifle I started with, but I do it a little at a time. At this point I'm basically an upper receiver, lower receiver and barrel away from having enough parts to build another one. I'll probably do that at some point - I'd like to have a .762 as well as a .556.
Posts: 91,143
Frazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #1360
rockymtnchief rockymtnchief is offline
Supporter
 
rockymtnchief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Crazys of Montana
Casino cash: $1031158854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Dear out of state hunters.....Let the chick show you how it's done, great story.



http://missoulian.com/news/local/art...cc4c002e0.html
Posts: 4,222
rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.rockymtnchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #1361
Frazod Frazod is offline
Banned
 
Frazod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: my own personal pig hell
Casino cash: $1001187
Here's my new Sampson Evolution 11" hand guard. I've already mounted the variable rails for the bipod and attached Magpul grip.

Won't put it on until this weekend, but I had to share. This thing is badass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampson Rail.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	98795  
Posts: 91,143
Frazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #1362
Dunit35 Dunit35 is offline
Keepin it Real
 
Dunit35's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Casino cash: $2004441
Frazod, so I shouldn't buy a hogue grip for it? It had excellent reviews on amazon.
Posts: 8,786
Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.Dunit35 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #1363
notorious notorious is offline
I Lay Wood for a Living
 
notorious's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Who knows?
Casino cash: $2059
When it comes to AR15's, does the lower matter that much?

I am shying away from the AK (again ) and now I am looking at a DPMS Panther with 24" Bull. I would like to switch out the upper with a 16" and Eotech eventually to satisfy my "throw a lot of bullets at something" cravings.
Posts: 29,169
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #1364
LiveSteam LiveSteam is offline
All aboard the crazy train
 
LiveSteam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: homeof43conferencetitles
Casino cash: $71588
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
When it comes to AR15's, does the lower matter that much?

I am shying away from the AK (again ) and now I am looking at a DPMS Panther with 24" Bull. I would like to switch out the upper with a 16" and Eotech eventually to satisfy my "throw a lot of bullets at something" cravings.
Someone asked the same question on THE HIGH ROAD gun site

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=618253

Not all lowers have the same size hole, where the upper & lower are pinned together. Something to pay attention to.
Posts: 15,998
LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #1365
Frazod Frazod is offline
Banned
 
Frazod's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: my own personal pig hell
Casino cash: $1001187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunit35 View Post
Frazod, so I shouldn't buy a hogue grip for it? It had excellent reviews on amazon.
It just depends on whether or not you plan on adding accessories to the hand guard or not. Even if you don't plan on it now, IMO it's better to get something with pit rails or the capability to add rails. It certainly won't hurt anything if you don't use them.

With the red dot/magnifier set up I have, I have to have a top rail.
Posts: 91,143
Frazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < CasselFrazod < Cassel
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.