Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM  
Over-Head Over-Head is offline
Boom, Boom , Crash
 
Over-Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In my shed
Casino cash: $5255
Needing a math formula

I rememebr back in school there was an equation which I can figure out how long the arc of a circle is from the 0-90-180-270 sections? c= (pie) x d
Is there a formula which you could work to deturmin how big an arc you need, or just work the same one backwards?
Math wasn't my strong point in school

Say I'm running a 2 ring medallion with an outer script.
Radius ring 1 = 18 inches
Radius ring 2 = 42 inches
Client would like me to run a script around the outer ring about 6 inches away from the second medallion.
each script section is a certian lenght, and I want even spacing between them.


C= pie x d
then just divide it would tell me how long each section is, will working it backwards do the same thing?
I'm figuring it will

I tried dumping Antifreeze on my loose leaf, then hanging it up to dry with nutt hooks....didn't help.

Last edited by Over-Head; 02-01-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Posts: 11,855
Over-Head has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
Jenson71 Jenson71 is offline
fides quaerens intellectum
 
Jenson71's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Iowa
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over-Head View Post
I tried dumping Antifreeze on my loose leaf, then hanging it up to dry with nutt hooks....didn't help.
Did your loose leaf come from an AIDS tree?
Posts: 5,342
Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Jenson71 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Crush Crush is offline
Talos Save Us
 
Crush's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Casino cash: $10901
Posts: 15,176
Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Crush has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Over-Head Over-Head is offline
Boom, Boom , Crash
 
Over-Head's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In my shed
Casino cash: $5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson71 View Post
Did your loose leaf come from an AIDS tree?
couldn't tell ya. Normally I do a live mock up in 1/4 sections on site, I'm designing this one for a house 6500 miles away
__________________
...Illegitimus non Carborundum est...
Posts: 11,855
Over-Head has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
notorious notorious is offline
I Lay Wood for a Living
 
notorious's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Who knows?
Casino cash: $650
Diameter x 3.14 / 4 = each 90 degree length.


If I read you question right, the diameter of the outside Medallion is 84 inches. 6 inches out from each side would equal 96 inches.


Diameter is 96. 96 x 3.14 = 301.44 for the circum.


Circum/4 = 75.36 inches per 90 degree section


If I read your question right, this is your answer.
Posts: 33,486
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
Extra Point Extra Point is offline
MVP
 
Extra Point's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Prairie Village, KS
Casino cash: $5000
Arc length of 90 degree swept angle=3.1416*d/4=.7854XD
Double the angle, double the arc length.
Is that about it?
__________________
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." --Satchel Paige
Posts: 7,845
Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Extra Point Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Over-Head Over-Head is offline
Boom, Boom , Crash
 
Over-Head's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In my shed
Casino cash: $5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Diameter x 3.14 / 4 = each 90 degree length.


If I read you question right, the diameter of the outside Medallion is 84 inches. 6 inches out from each side would equal 96 inches.


Diameter is 96. 96 x 3.14 = 301.44 for the circum.


Circum/4 = 75.36 inches per 90 degree section


If I read your question right, this is your answer.
Yep.
ok, question,
if you work the equation backwards from the starting point of
I want to add multiple peices each X number of inches long,
with an equil spacing around the ring.
Can I take the length of the piece, plus the spacing, and create a ring that way as certian peices are different lengths.?
The 6 inch spacing from the outer ring was for the sake of a number, It might have to be 7 or 5. This is what i'm trying to figure out "on paper"
__________________
...Illegitimus non Carborundum est...
Posts: 11,855
Over-Head has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
notorious notorious is offline
I Lay Wood for a Living
 
notorious's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Who knows?
Casino cash: $650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over-Head View Post
Yep.
ok, question if you work the equation backwards from the starting point of
I want to add multiple peices each X number of inches long,
with an equil spacing around the ring.
Can I take the length of the piece, plus the spacing, and create a ring that way?
The 6 inch spacing from the outer ring was for the sake of a number, It might have to be 7 or 5. This is what i'm trying to figure out "on paper"
I am not the best at creating equations, just practical application.


I was the kid that the teacher didn't like because I could give her correct answers without using equations.

Practically speaking, I would figure your spacing between each ring and figure your equation mutiple times until you have the desired amount of rings.
Posts: 33,486
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Over-Head Over-Head is offline
Boom, Boom , Crash
 
Over-Head's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In my shed
Casino cash: $5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I am not the best at creating equations, just practical application.


I was the kid that the teacher didn't like because I could give her correct answers without using equations.

Practically speaking, I would figure your spacing between each ring and figure your equation mutiple times until you have the desired amount of rings.
Thanks.
Math was never my strong point, and truth be known if it wernt for a certian photo the appeared from a teachers staff party my band played at in a bar one christmass, i'd never have gotten the 3 points I needed for a math credit to graduate
Hell I spent more time in the hall than I ever did in math class, and from Grade 8 summer school, right to grade 12 I never did pass a year in math.
Sure hating myself fot it 25 years later let me tell ya!!
__________________
...Illegitimus non Carborundum est...
Posts: 11,855
Over-Head has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
notorious notorious is offline
I Lay Wood for a Living
 
notorious's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Who knows?
Casino cash: $650
Sorry, I just read your edited post.

It would take me awhile to think a linear equation to figure that out.


How many rings do you want?

What is the desired outside diameter?

What is the desired inside diameter?
Posts: 33,486
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
cdcox cdcox is offline
www.nfl-forecast.com
 
cdcox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Casino cash: $19454
Not sure if I understand the question but here goes.

If the circle has a diameter of d the circumference of the circle is

C = pi * D

Now unroll the circle so it lays out flat.

The circumference must equal the sum of the pieces plus the spacings with everything laid out flat and straight. If your pieces are already curved, you could measure their flat length with a flexible tape or something.
Posts: 32,708
cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.cdcox has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Over-Head Over-Head is offline
Boom, Boom , Crash
 
Over-Head's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In my shed
Casino cash: $5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Sorry, I just read your edited post.

It would take me awhile to think a linear equation to figure that out.


How many rings do you want?

What is the desired outside diameter?

What is the desired inside diameter?
Yeah, sorry about that. I realised I had forgotten "part" of the question when I posted it...(hey Raiders fans aint too bright ya know !!)

This currant project will ues the exact dimensiuons of a past one. (room size just worked out that way.)

More of a "if i'm in this situation, how do you figure it out".

So a linear equation is what i'm looking for...got it.
If I had even know what to call it, I could have started googling.
__________________
...Illegitimus non Carborundum est...
Posts: 11,855
Over-Head has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
notorious notorious is offline
I Lay Wood for a Living
 
notorious's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Who knows?
Casino cash: $650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over-Head View Post
Yeah, sorry about that. I realised I had forgotten "part" of the question when I posted it...(hey Raiders fans aint too bright ya know !!)

This currant project will ues the exact dimensiuons of a past one. (room size just worked out that way.)

More of a "if i'm in this situation, how do you figure it out".

So a linear equation is what i'm looking for...got it.
If I had even know what to call it, I could have started googling.
When I put in a wood floor that has some wild designs, it's off to the drafting board


If I were doing circles in ring radiating from a point, I put a screw in the center, measure and cut the string to a desired length and a attach a pencil. You can tweek the length by screwing/unscrewing the line around either the screw or pencil (I prefer the line around the screw to just be looped, that way it doesn't have a very small change in length as it wraps around).

The more rings you add, just cut a new line that much longer and remark the line.

I hope this helps. Sometimes I run into a wild shape that will screw with me a little bit, and I work on something else while I think about it. Next thing you know it becomes very simple.
Posts: 33,486
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Over-Head Over-Head is offline
Boom, Boom , Crash
 
Over-Head's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In my shed
Casino cash: $5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcox View Post
Not sure if I understand the question but here goes.

If the circle has a diameter of d the circumference of the circle is

C = pi * D

Now unroll the circle so it lays out flat.

The circumference must equal the sum of the pieces plus the spacings with everything laid out flat and straight. If your pieces are already curved, you could measure their flat length with a flexible tape or something.
Pieces are stright, by placement, and design I create the illusion, of them arcing

Thanks
Never hurts to double check with folks who actually know math, then guess at it.
__________________
...Illegitimus non Carborundum est...
Posts: 11,855
Over-Head has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Over-Head Over-Head is offline
Boom, Boom , Crash
 
Over-Head's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: In my shed
Casino cash: $5255
Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
When I put in a wood floor that has some wild designs, it's off to the drafting board


If I were doing circles in ring radiating from a point, I put a screw in the center, measure and cut the string to a desired length and a attach a pencil. You can tweek the length by screwing/unscrewing the line around either the screw or pencil (I prefer the line around the screw to just be looped, that way it doesn't have a very small change in length as it wraps around).

The more rings you add, just cut a new line that much longer and remark the line.

I hope this helps. Sometimes I run into a wild shape that will screw with me a little bit, and I work on something else while I think about it. Next thing you know it becomes very simple.
Basically the same spinning medallions on the ceiling, you just need a fixed center point that everything runs off.

Most the stuff I do, is done on site, and I have extensive notes on past ceilings i've done for re-creation.
While great for former projects, as I expand my line, all my pieces to teh puzzle change as well.
I have a friend of mine getting me a copy of a computer program he uses for designing graphics which suposewdly will do it all for me.
But I always like having a pen and paper back up just in case.
__________________
...Illegitimus non Carborundum est...
Posts: 11,855
Over-Head has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.