Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM  
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $651564
The Android Tablet Watch Thread

Since the iPad thread is 90% Mac vs. PC (Android) BS, I figured I'd start a separate thread now that some viable Android tablets are starting to be available. (Yeah, yeah...vaporware, etc., etc.)

Discuss.

Last edited by DaFace; 04-09-2011 at 08:18 PM..
Posts: 27,105
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #181
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2113070
Nice little Toshiba Thrive on Woot.com today...

Toshiba Thrive 10.1” 16GB Android Tablet with Wi-Fi

$279.99
+ $5 shipping
__________________
Posts: 24,539
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #182
Fruit Ninja Fruit Ninja is offline
KCXIV
 
Fruit Ninja's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Central Valley, Cali
Casino cash: $614648
i know soemone who sells Samsung Galaxy's on the blackmarket. I dont have the cash right now. 275 brand new in the box isnt to bad. I will have me one soon!!!
Posts: 22,182
Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Fruit Ninja Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #183
Crush Crush is offline
It's Time
 
Crush's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Casino cash: $1027240
Ice Cream Sandwich is now rolling out for the Transformer Prime.
Posts: 14,724
Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.Crush threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #184
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $651564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Ice Cream Sandwich is now rolling out for the Transformer Prime.
And mine arrives via UPS tomorrow.
Posts: 27,105
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #185
Buck Buck is offline
Take a Chill Pill
 
Buck's Avatar
 
Billards Champion Yeti Sports 1 - Pingu Throw Champion
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego
Casino cash: $133349341
DO AN UNBOXING VID!
Posts: 41,609
Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #186
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $651564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
DO AN UNBOXING VID!
Ha...I don't have near the level of "interesting" for that. I'll post my impressions from time to time, though.
Posts: 27,105
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #187
KCFalcon59 KCFalcon59 is offline
Supporter
 
KCFalcon59's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Casino cash: $10092216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
And mine arrives via UPS tomorrow.
Will it have ICS pre-installed or will you be updating it first thing?
Posts: 5,736
KCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliKCFalcon59 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #188
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $651564
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFalcon59 View Post
Will it have ICS pre-installed or will you be updating it first thing?
I'll have to update it. Looks to be a pretty quick process, though.

Unfortunately, it may not be until tomorrow until I get it. I thought it'd arrive early since it hit my distribution facility Sunday night, but for some reason it's still not out for delivery. Oh well.
Posts: 27,105
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #189
Swanman Swanman is offline
It's a league game, Dude
 
Swanman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Itasca, IL
Casino cash: $45656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I'll have to update it. Looks to be a pretty quick process, though.

Unfortunately, it may not be until tomorrow until I get it. I thought it'd arrive early since it hit my distribution facility Sunday night, but for some reason it's still not out for delivery. Oh well.
My Prime updated this morning. The update took almost no time at all. The tablet ran great before so ICS wasn't some religious experience but I noticed some improvements in responsiveness. I am getting pretty hooked on the thing. Last night I was playing Star Wars The Old Republic while watching the football game on the tablet using my Slingbox.
Posts: 3,230
Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #190
Guru Guru is offline
Supporter
 
Guru's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Middle of the USA
Casino cash: $55114448
Can't wait for the devs to start pushing out ICS for the lesser devices.
Posts: 52,173
Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.Guru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #191
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $651564
It begins...
Posts: 27,105
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #192
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $651564
A couple first impressions of the Prime. The caveat here is that this is the only Android tablet I've held for more than 15 seconds in a store, so I'm not going to be very good at comparing this to others out there.
  • The immediate eye grabber is that the Prime is both thinner and lighter than about anything else I've seen. It's noticeably thinner than the iPad and is technically a little thinner than the iPad2. It's pretty comfortable to hold in your hand, though it's a little too large to be an ideal e-reader. Not that I mind, but it's a little tougher to one-hand than my wife's Kindle Prime.
  • The screen seems pretty fantastic to me. I doubt it's dramatically better than other 10.1" tablets out there, but the screen is very clear and crisp. The Prime has a built-in brightness adjust, so it is brighter when you're in bright light and dimmer than dim light. However, I'm a fan of bright screens, so I've overridden it a time or two.
  • If you're the gaming type, the graphics are damn good for a tablet. I played around with a couple demo games with "HD" graphics, and it performed flawlessly. It actually ships with a special "app store" specifically with games designed for the Tegra chip.
  • The ICS update was very quick and easy. It took maybe 10 minutes to download and 10 to install, and that was on our slow work network. I never really used Honeycomb, but I've read that it wasn't great at web browsing and that type of thing. I don't have any complaints about the speed of the browser or anything, so I think that's a positive.
  • Other things that I THINK are ICS-specific are a dedicated area for widgets in the "app listing" window, a dramatically improved settings window (compared to Gingerbread at least), and a better system (swiping) for removing apps from your "last used" list.
  • It ships with Polaris Office, which makes it pretty easy to open up documents from email and that type of thing. Coupled with Dropbox, it makes for a pretty quick and easy way of viewing documents on the thing. I might actually be productive on it from time to time!

Anyway, I certainly don't have any complaints. If any of you are thinking about it and have any questions, let me (or Swanman) know. I'm sure we can answer anything you want to know. To me, though, it just works.
Posts: 27,105
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #193
Swanman Swanman is offline
It's a league game, Dude
 
Swanman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Itasca, IL
Casino cash: $45656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
A couple first impressions of the Prime. The caveat here is that this is the only Android tablet I've held for more than 15 seconds in a store, so I'm not going to be very good at comparing this to others out there.
  • The immediate eye grabber is that the Prime is both thinner and lighter than about anything else I've seen. It's noticeably thinner than the iPad and is technically a little thinner than the iPad2. It's pretty comfortable to hold in your hand, though it's a little too large to be an ideal e-reader. Not that I mind, but it's a little tougher to one-hand than my wife's Kindle Prime.
  • The screen seems pretty fantastic to me. I doubt it's dramatically better than other 10.1" tablets out there, but the screen is very clear and crisp. The Prime has a built-in brightness adjust, so it is brighter when you're in bright light and dimmer than dim light. However, I'm a fan of bright screens, so I've overridden it a time or two.
  • If you're the gaming type, the graphics are damn good for a tablet. I played around with a couple demo games with "HD" graphics, and it performed flawlessly. It actually ships with a special "app store" specifically with games designed for the Tegra chip.
  • The ICS update was very quick and easy. It took maybe 10 minutes to download and 10 to install, and that was on our slow work network. I never really used Honeycomb, but I've read that it wasn't great at web browsing and that type of thing. I don't have any complaints about the speed of the browser or anything, so I think that's a positive.
  • Other things that I THINK are ICS-specific are a dedicated area for widgets in the "app listing" window, a dramatically improved settings window (compared to Gingerbread at least), and a better system (swiping) for removing apps from your "last used" list.
  • It ships with Polaris Office, which makes it pretty easy to open up documents from email and that type of thing. Coupled with Dropbox, it makes for a pretty quick and easy way of viewing documents on the thing. I might actually be productive on it from time to time!

Anyway, I certainly don't have any complaints. If any of you are thinking about it and have any questions, let me (or Swanman) know. I'm sure we can answer anything you want to know. To me, though, it just works.
Good, now I have a fellow dork to compare notes with. The main two impressions I have of the Prime are: it is insanely responsive because of the Tegra 3 chip and the screen is terrific. The gorilla glass really helps. I have been using the Prime a lot lately to read comics, so I have been using ACV, which works really well in portrait. I got Angry Birds and Burn the City (very similar games) and the graphics look perfect. During lunch I watch Netflix and the picture is HD quality using my mediocre work wifi. I also got the tablet slingbox app and it works like a charm.
Posts: 3,230
Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #194
DaFace DaFace is offline
Version 3.0
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $651564
One negative: the charger apparently is a cheap piece of crap. It worked fine Day 1, but when I plugged it in last night, it wouldn't charge. After reading around online, it apparently is prone to overheating, so it's best not to leave it (the charger) plugged into an outlet all day long. I unplugged it for an hour, and it started working again.

C'mon ASUS...this was a problem for the original Transformer. It shouldn't be THAT hard to fix.
Posts: 27,105
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #195
Swanman Swanman is offline
It's a league game, Dude
 
Swanman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Itasca, IL
Casino cash: $45656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
One negative: the charger apparently is a cheap piece of crap. It worked fine Day 1, but when I plugged it in last night, it wouldn't charge. After reading around online, it apparently is prone to overheating, so it's best not to leave it (the charger) plugged into an outlet all day long. I unplugged it for an hour, and it started working again.

C'mon ASUS...this was a problem for the original Transformer. It shouldn't be THAT hard to fix.
It sucks that they didn't go with a standard mini/micro usb charge plug. It's nice being able to charge my phone and kindle with the same charger. Maybe the table uses too much power for that.
Posts: 3,230
Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.Swanman would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.