Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The GET IN MAH BELLY! Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM  
vailpass vailpass is offline
Yah Mules!
 
vailpass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Casino cash: $99234099
Roku Box?

I'd like for my boys to be able to get the free Amazon movies and tv shows but their TVs don't support the Amazon feed. The Roku 2XD is listed as a compatible device. Anyone here have any experience with a Roku box? If so, what do you use it for? I'm trying to figure out if there is $80 worth of functionality in these things.
Posts: 36,463
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #46
AustinChief AustinChief is offline
Administrator
 
AustinChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Austin
Casino cash: $1700669
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
He he... Nope. There isn't a flash supported browser. Firecore actually created support for Flash in their Couchsurfer browser, but said that the Flash performance was so bad they removed it. Couchsurfer does HTML5 video though.

Here's a good thread with all the best video plugins:

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154

My favorites are Icefilms, Hulu, Sportsdevil, Justin.TV, Navi-X, Free Cable, Pandora.
You can follow these instructions to enable it. http://firecore.zendesk.com/entries/259320

Or you can use Boxee which supports it.
Posts: 14,277
AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.AustinChief has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
ILChief ILChief is offline
MVP
 
ILChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Casino cash: $10066369
Can you install boxee on an apple tv2?
Posts: 6,055
ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #48
ILChief ILChief is offline
MVP
 
ILChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Casino cash: $10066369
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
Sure you can. Justin.tv is kind of tricky though. If you have the Eden version of XBMC, download the 0.2.2 version. If you're pre-EDEN, download the 0.1.6 version. Download the plugin from here:

http://code.google.com/p/divingmules...downloads/list

Copy that to your atv using an FTP program like Cyberduck. Then install it with the Install From Zip function in System\Ad-ons\Install from zip.

Once you do that, you might have to update your librtmp file.

If the plugin doesn't work after install, download the file from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?q8lswzg307ucfud

Then copy that to private/var/stash/applications/xbmc.frappliance/frameworks/ on the atv.

Let me know if you need more specific instructions on how to do that.
I'm not sure which version of xbmc i have. I don't think it's the Eden version. I followed the Cydia instructions on this site:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._on_Apple_TV_2

I went to the list at the link you sent. I tried the 2.2 for eden version. It appeared to install ok and I could browse and search Justin.tv but no streams would play. I didn't see a justin.tv 1.6 in the list. The only 1.6 I saw was for LiveStreams. I installed it but it didn't appear to be justin.tv unless I'm not doing something right.
Posts: 6,055
ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #49
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2118949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILChief View Post
I'm not sure which version of xbmc i have. I don't think it's the Eden version. I followed the Cydia instructions on this site:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title..._on_Apple_TV_2

I went to the list at the link you sent. I tried the 2.2 for eden version. It appeared to install ok and I could browse and search Justin.tv but no streams would play. I didn't see a justin.tv 1.6 in the list. The only 1.6 I saw was for LiveStreams. I installed it but it didn't appear to be justin.tv unless I'm not doing something right.
The 2.2 version only works in Eden. So see what version you have.

To see what version you have, go to XBMC main menu > System > Lower submenu > System info. Note the build date. It will tell you there. It should say XBMC 11.0-BETA1. If you don't have Eden, you should definitely upgrade to it.

The easiest way is to SSH into the aTV(username:root|password:alpine), then run these commands:

apt-get update

apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Then you have to reboot.

Let me know if that works.
__________________
Posts: 25,286
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #50
ILChief ILChief is offline
MVP
 
ILChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Casino cash: $10066369
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
The 2.2 version only works in Eden. So see what version you have.

To see what version you have, go to XBMC main menu > System > Lower submenu > System info. Note the build date. It will tell you there. It should say XBMC 11.0-BETA1. If you don't have Eden, you should definitely upgrade to it.

The easiest way is to SSH into the aTV(username:root|password:alpine), then run these commands:

apt-get update

apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2

Then you have to reboot.

Let me know if that works.
followed your insructions. this is what i got:
----------------------
Last login: Thu Jan 5 20:25:06 on ttys000
MacBookPro:~ xxxxxx$ ssh root@192.168.0.2
root@xxxxxx's password:
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get update
Get:1 http://apt.thebigboss.org stable Release.gpg [197B]
Get:2 http://cydia.zodttd.com stable Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://nitosoft.com Release.gpg
Get:3 http://apt.modmyi.com stable Release.gpg [189B]
Get:4 http://apt.thebigboss.org stable Release [4437B]
Hit http://apt.saurik.com tangelo-3.7 Release.gpg
Get:5 http://cydia.zodttd.com stable Release [1616B]
Hit http://apt.awkwardtv.org stable Release.gpg
Hit http://nitosoft.com Release
Hit http://apt.saurik.com tangelo-3.7 Release
Get:6 http://apt.modmyi.com stable Release [1331B]
Hit http://apt.awkwardtv.org stable Release
Ign http://mirrors.xbmc.org ./ Release.gpg
Get:7 http://cydia.zodttd.com stable/main Packages/DiffIndex [3756B]
Get:8 http://apt.thebigboss.org stable/main Packages/DiffIndex [1468B]
Ign http://nitosoft.com Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://mirrors.xbmc.org ./ Release
Get:9 http://cydia.zodttd.com stable/main 2012-01-06-2000.04+2012-01-07-1900.24.pdiff [2345B]
Get:10 http://cydia.zodttd.com stable/main 2012-01-06-2000.04+2012-01-07-1900.24.pdiff [2345B]
Ign http://apt.saurik.com tangelo-3.7/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://nitosoft.com Packages
Get:11 http://cydia.zodttd.com stable/main 2012-01-06-2000.04+2012-01-07-1900.24.pdiff [2345B]
Get:12 http://apt.thebigboss.org stable/main Packages [856kB]
Get:13 http://apt.modmyi.com stable/main Packages/DiffIndex [3777B]
Hit http://apt.saurik.com tangelo-3.7/main Packages
Hit http://apt.awkwardtv.org stable/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get:14 http://apt.modmyi.com stable/main Packages [1834kB]
Ign http://mirrors.xbmc.org ./ Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://mirrors.xbmc.org ./ Packages
Fetched 2710kB in 23s (117kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://apt.awkwardtv.org stable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/apt.awkwardtv.org_dists_stable_main_binary-iphoneos-arm_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
Apple-TV:~ root#
Posts: 6,055
ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #51
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2118949
Looks like you're up to date. You might go to the System settings location I mentioned above just to make sure.

So you can run the jTV plugin, but it doesn't do anything? Does it flash Working,and then nothing happens? If so, you probably missed the second part of the instructions:

Quote:
If the plugin doesn't work after install, download the file from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?q8lswzg307ucfud

Then copy that to private/var/stash/applications/xbmc.frappliance/frameworks/ on the atv.
Overwrite the existing file in that location. That will make it work. Doesn't need a restart or anything.
__________________
Posts: 25,286
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #52
ILChief ILChief is offline
MVP
 
ILChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Casino cash: $10066369
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
Looks like you're up to date. You might go to the System settings location I mentioned above just to make sure.

So you can run the jTV plugin, but it doesn't do anything? Does it flash Working,and then nothing happens? If so, you probably missed the second part of the instructions:



Overwrite the existing file in that location. That will make it work. Doesn't need a restart or anything.
thanks that seems to have fixed it! one question about the justin.tv plugin: does it only list Live channels? The main reason is I want this is for w00t's streams next year (if he is gracious enough to do it again) but when I go to search and search for any of his channel names they don't show up. but he isn't broadcasting live at the moment. i went to justin.tv on my computer and picked a live channel name and the search on the xbmc found it.
Posts: 6,055
ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #53
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2118949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILChief View Post
thanks that seems to have fixed it! one question about the justin.tv plugin: does it only list Live channels? The main reason is I want this is for w00t's streams next year (if he is gracious enough to do it again) but when I go to search and search for any of his channel names they don't show up. but he isn't broadcasting live at the moment. i went to justin.tv on my computer and picked a live channel name and the search on the xbmc found it.
Good to hear.

And it plays both live and archived video. I'm not sure who w00t is, but I know there are an abundance of streams for all major games. You can also enter your justin.TV credentials if you have an account, and it will sync favorites. The specific channel you're looking for might show up that way.

But I've always found good streams for games I want to watch. Find the one with the highest bitrate, as it will give you the best quality.

The movie channels are actually pretty good too. I use the movie streams quite a bit if I'm wanting to watch something random. Many of them are of really good quality.

**Be sure to go to the configuration setting in the jTV plugin, and tell it to only show English streams. You'll get a ton of other language streams otherwise.
__________________
Posts: 25,286
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #54
ILChief ILChief is offline
MVP
 
ILChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Casino cash: $10066369
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
Good to hear.

And it plays both live and archived video. I'm not sure who w00t is, but I know there are an abundance of streams for all major games. You can also enter your justin.TV credentials if you have an account, and it will sync favorites. The specific channel you're looking for might show up that way.

But I've always found good streams for games I want to watch. Find the one with the highest bitrate, as it will give you the best quality.

The movie channels are actually pretty good too. I use the movie streams quite a bit if I'm wanting to watch something random. Many of them are of really good quality.

**Be sure to go to the configuration setting in the jTV plugin, and tell it to only show English streams. You'll get a ton of other language streams otherwise.
You care to share any good jtv streams for sporting events? I seem to have a hard time finding them.
Posts: 6,055
ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #55
Cave Johnson Cave Johnson is offline
Andy the Big Reid Coach
 
Cave Johnson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: E. Bumf***istan
Casino cash: $93269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILChief View Post
You care to share any good jtv streams for sporting events? I seem to have a hard time finding them.
Yes, install the SportsDevil XBMC plugin.
Posts: 9,581
Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Cave Johnson is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #56
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2118949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsie View Post
Yes, install the SportsDevil XBMC plugin.
Actually, the main source of live sports streams for SportsDevil has recently changed their domain name from Firstrowsports.eu to Firstrow.tv, and the change hasn't yet been updated in the SportsDevil plugin. So there's not as many good sports streams available right now. But they should have it updated very soon. SportsDevil is awesome when all the streams are working.

I've actually been doing some Python scripting, and hope to get to the point that I can update these plugins myself, and contribute to some of the development. We'll see...

Regarding the jTV sports streams, just navigate to the Sports section in jTV, and browse the listing for the sport you're looking for(American Football, College ball, etc.). I've had really good luck finding good streams there for everything except the really obscure/unpopular games that are on. Find the one with the highest bitrate, as it will have the best picture quality.

Also, a trick with jTV archives.... Navigate to the channel you like, and hold down the Menu button for 3 seconds. It will popup the options menu, and it will include an option to "Download archives for this channel". That will present all the archived data for that channel as well.
__________________
Posts: 25,286
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #57
ILChief ILChief is offline
MVP
 
ILChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2001
Casino cash: $10066369
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Fish View Post
Actually, the main source of live sports streams for SportsDevil has recently changed their domain name from Firstrowsports.eu to Firstrow.tv, and the change hasn't yet been updated in the SportsDevil plugin. So there's not as many good sports streams available right now. But they should have it updated very soon. SportsDevil is awesome when all the streams are working.

I've actually been doing some Python scripting, and hope to get to the point that I can update these plugins myself, and contribute to some of the development. We'll see...

Regarding the jTV sports streams, just navigate to the Sports section in jTV, and browse the listing for the sport you're looking for(American Football, College ball, etc.). I've had really good luck finding good streams there for everything except the really obscure/unpopular games that are on. Find the one with the highest bitrate, as it will have the best picture quality.

Also, a trick with jTV archives.... Navigate to the channel you like, and hold down the Menu button for 3 seconds. It will popup the options menu, and it will include an option to "Download archives for this channel". That will present all the archived data for that channel as well.
Got sportsdevil installed. it looks really cool. after the firstrow thing gets fixed will i need to do anything or will it start working automatically?
Posts: 6,055
ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.ILChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #58
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $1128842
Let me preface this with: I don't have cable or sat tv. I refuse to pay for channels I won't use. We've had nothing but broadcast TV for years now.

I grabbed a Roku not too long ago. Playon.tv had a thing going where you pay 80 bucks to get a lifetime registration with a Roku LT. I like it. There is a lot of lightweight functionality. I've got Pandora running on my TV behind me, "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix just popped up after "Green River" by CCR. And now "Let It Be". When paired with playon you have a nice little group of channels to choose from.

The kids like the simple menus after school. It's easy to put on Netflix or any one of several niche channels available. They enjoy Crunchyroll, off the top of my head.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 27,811
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
Rausch Rausch is offline
MVP
 
Rausch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Jefferson City, mo., USA
Casino cash: $1227568
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Let me preface this with: I don't have cable or sat tv. I refuse to pay for channels I won't use. We've had nothing but broadcast TV for years now.

I grabbed a Roku not too long ago. Playon.tv had a thing going where you pay 80 bucks to get a lifetime registration with a Roku LT. I like it. There is a lot of lightweight functionality. I've got Pandora running on my TV behind me, "Hey Joe" by Jimi Hendrix just popped up after "Green River" by CCR. And now "Let It Be". When paired with playon you have a nice little group of channels to choose from.

The kids like the simple menus after school. It's easy to put on Netflix or any one of several niche channels available. They enjoy Crunchyroll, off the top of my head.
My PS3 went tits up last week so I got one to watch netflix and hulu plus on. Pretty sure I'm dumping HULU plus.

That said I'm trying to find a good app to stream web media/stored media from my iMac to the roku. Right now I'm going through the download/install/learn process wiht Plex.

Anyone have any experience with this?
__________________
Quote:
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there."
Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico View Post
I wish I always ended up at gay bars.
Posts: 49,579
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #60
DaveNull DaveNull is offline
Veteran
 
DaveNull's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Villa Straylight
Casino cash: $13426
I've heard great things about plex. It should do the job nicely.
Posts: 1,125
DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.