Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM  
Saul Good Saul Good is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $5510
****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.****

the second thread has been pronounced dead.
Posts: 30,586
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #2281
HolyHandgernade HolyHandgernade is offline
Integralist
 
HolyHandgernade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Murrieta, CA
Casino cash: $5065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
Why do you think the SEC would invite NC State and Virginia Tech instead of North Carolina and Virginia?
Virginia Tech and NC St are bigger football draws and the SEC is a football first conference. UNC will fight to include Duke if there is a slimmest chance of that being a possibility. I don't see the SEC interested in Duke. Virginia and UNC consider themselves academic elites, and more in line with the B!G in those regards. They are also both more committed to the ACC then NC St and V Tech are and will hold out longer to try and make that work.
__________________
You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, just remember, the last laugh is on you, and always look on the bright side of life!
Posts: 3,390
HolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #2282
Saul Good Saul Good is offline
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $5510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedated View Post
The rumors I've heard contradict this (not that any source can be considered reliable), the SEC would go after NC State and Virginia Tech.
That's because they were the low-hanging fruit. Now, the entire conference may be within reach. Before this latest shake-up, North Catholics and Virginia looked unattainable. The SEC may offer NC State and Virginia Tech, but out will only be after North Carolina and Virginia say no.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Saul 2014
Posts: 30,586
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #2283
eazyb81 eazyb81 is offline
The Illuminati
 
eazyb81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: the road less traveled
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade View Post
Virginia Tech and NC St are bigger football draws and the SEC is a football first conference. UNC will fight to include Duke if there is a slimmest chance of that being a possibility. I don't see the SEC interested in Duke. Virginia and UNC consider themselves academic elites, and more in line with the B!G in those regards. They are also both more committed to the ACC then NC St and V Tech are and will hold out longer to try and make that work.
Meh, both UNC and UVA are extremely more valuable brands than either Va Tech or NC State. The SEC has two more possible seats left and they aren't expanding again if that's all that is available.

Fans are way too focused on who is and is not a football school. The SEC Network needs content for 12 months out of the year, not just the football season (which it already has plenty of). UNC and UVA have great all-around athletic departments that would provide a ton of content during winter, spring, and summer.

Finally, North Carolina is thoroughly Southern, and their fans will want absolutely nothing to do with a Midwest conference with trips to Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, etc. If UNC leaves the ACC it will be for the SEC.
Posts: 12,025
eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #2284
tredadda tredadda is offline
Moustakas FTW
 
tredadda's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Casino cash: $5232
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81 View Post
Meh, both UNC and UVA are extremely more valuable brands than either Va Tech or NC State. The SEC has two more possible seats left and they aren't expanding again if that's all that is available.

Fans are way too focused on who is and is not a football school. The SEC Network needs content for 12 months out of the year, not just the football season (which it already has plenty of). UNC and UVA have great all-around athletic departments that would provide a ton of content during winter, spring, and summer.

Finally, North Carolina is thoroughly Southern, and their fans will want absolutely nothing to do with a Midwest conference with trips to Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, etc. If UNC leaves the ACC it will be for the SEC.
^ This. The SEC did not go after Missouri and aTm because of their football prowess. If it were strictly about football they would have gone after WVU instead.
__________________
Posts: 4,157
tredadda has disabled reputation
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #2285
HolyHandgernade HolyHandgernade is offline
Integralist
 
HolyHandgernade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Murrieta, CA
Casino cash: $5065
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
^ This. The SEC did not go after Missouri and aTm because of their football prowess. If it were strictly about football they would have gone after WVU instead.
Yes, but there wasn't a football option in Missouri other than Missouri, now was there? By the way, I'm perfectly fine with the SEC going after UNC and UVA. I think they will resist more and hold out for B!G offer, and depending on what the SEC timetable is, it may not be worth it. UVA may be the more prestigious university, but most of the polls I have seen doesn't seem to indicate they draw very well for collegiate athletics competition. UNC is more of a toss up, but they have that Duke connection, and I don't think they are going to surrender it until they absolutely have to. There is more of a chance the the B!G would take Duke than the SEC in my opinion.
__________________
You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, just remember, the last laugh is on you, and always look on the bright side of life!
Posts: 3,390
HolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
 
Old 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #2286
Saul Good Saul Good is offline
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $5510
I would be pretty surprised to see one of the big four conferences offer both Duke and Carolina. That would give you two schools from the same state with no football draw.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Saul 2014
Posts: 30,586
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #2287
tredadda tredadda is offline
Moustakas FTW
 
tredadda's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Casino cash: $5232
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade View Post
Yes, but there wasn't a football option in Missouri other than Missouri, now was there? By the way, I'm perfectly fine with the SEC going after UNC and UVA. I think they will resist more and hold out for B!G offer, and depending on what the SEC timetable is, it may not be worth it. UVA may be the more prestigious university, but most of the polls I have seen doesn't seem to indicate they draw very well for collegiate athletics competition. UNC is more of a toss up, but they have that Duke connection, and I don't think they are going to surrender it until they absolutely have to. There is more of a chance the the B!G would take Duke than the SEC in my opinion.
Was there other options in WV? Don't even say Marshall as they are not even worth discussing for these realignment purposes. They did not go after WVU, but Missouri instead. Why did they do it? For the market. It was a money decision, not a football one. That is why UVA and UNC are bigger targets for the SEC than VT and NCSU. I agree that the SEC does not want Duke either.
__________________
Posts: 4,157
tredadda has disabled reputation
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #2288
HolyHandgernade HolyHandgernade is offline
Integralist
 
HolyHandgernade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Murrieta, CA
Casino cash: $5065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
I would be pretty surprised to see one of the big four conferences offer both Duke and Carolina. That would give you two schools from the same state with no football draw.
I would too, but UNC will hold out for it. Then its just a matter if the SEC is willing to hold out as well. I don't know their time table for getting more market for their network. There are more academic advantages (and possibly financial advantages) to the B!G. I don't think the SEC will delay too long and risk going to war with the B!G over it. So why not just grab NC St., get into the market, and rest with the fact the football program there is stronger?
__________________
You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, just remember, the last laugh is on you, and always look on the bright side of life!
Posts: 3,390
HolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #2289
Saul Good Saul Good is offline
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $5510
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade View Post
I would too, but UNC will hold out for it. Then its just a matter if the SEC is willing to hold out as well. I don't know their time table for getting more market for their network. There are more academic advantages (and possibly financial advantages) to the B!G. I don't think the SEC will delay too long and risk going to war with the B!G over it. So why not just grab NC St., get into the market, and rest with the fact the football program there is stronger?
Because NC State will be there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Saul 2014
Posts: 30,586
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #2290
HolyHandgernade HolyHandgernade is offline
Integralist
 
HolyHandgernade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Murrieta, CA
Casino cash: $5065
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
Was there other options in WV? Don't even say Marshall as they are not even worth discussing for these realignment purposes. They did not go after WVU, but Missouri instead. Why did they do it? For the market. It was a money decision, not a football one. That is why UVA and UNC are bigger targets for the SEC than VT and NCSU. I agree that the SEC does not want Duke either.
You're starting to mix situations. Originally, it was why would the SEC take V Tech as opposed to UVA. You thought UVA brought more visibility to the arena than V Tech, which I would dispute. UVA is clearly the better academic institution, but in the two revenue sports, UVA has been quite irrelevant for a very long time.

V Tech is the sports draw. If there was a "Missouri Tech" and Missouri had been performing like UVA while the Tech school was like V Tech, then it wouldn't be a slam dunk Missouri would be the school they invite, especially if this fictional"M Tech" was located closer to St. Louis. Missouri had the markets, but they also had another former Big 12 school that was already joining. There were lots of reasons for the SEC to go that way.
__________________
You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, just remember, the last laugh is on you, and always look on the bright side of life!
Posts: 3,390
HolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #2291
dirk digler dirk digler is offline
Please squeeze
 
dirk digler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clinton, MO
Casino cash: $5470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
I would be pretty surprised to see one of the big four conferences offer both Duke and Carolina. That would give you two schools from the same state with no football draw.
Wait are you telling me that Carolina would abandon its traditional rival Duke for a better conference and more money? Blasphemy!
Posts: 48,395
dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #2292
HolyHandgernade HolyHandgernade is offline
Integralist
 
HolyHandgernade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Murrieta, CA
Casino cash: $5065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
Because NC State will be there.
True, but like I stated, I don't know what the SEC timetable is for adding market share. They want in the DC and Carolina markets. My feeling is UVA and UNC will hold out for the B!G or keep the ACC together. I don't think the SEC wants to be viewed as the conference pining after certain institutions who finally had to "relent". They want institutions who want them. That fits V Tech and NC St. better than it does UVA and UNC.

I'm not saying it won't be UVA and UNC, I'm just trying to look at motivations from those schools perspectives. Also, UNC's football program is going on probation.

So, let me ask you, why do you think UNC and UVA would want to jump? Every indication screams thei commitment to the ACC. If the B!G is still a possible option, what do you think changes their mind?
__________________
You'll see it's all a show, keep 'em laughing as you go, just remember, the last laugh is on you, and always look on the bright side of life!
Posts: 3,390
HolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliHolyHandgernade 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #2293
ArrowheadHawk ArrowheadHawk is offline
Bringing the Pain!
 
ArrowheadHawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Casino cash: $5300
Sources: ACC schools starting to put out feelers to Big 12

Chip Brown
Orangebloods.com

Two Big 12 sources told Orangebloods.com Tuesday there has been informal contact from Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami with the Big 12 about possible expansion.
__________________
Posts: 15,107
ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.ArrowheadHawk Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #2294
Saul Good Saul Good is offline
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $5510
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade View Post
True, but like I stated, I don't know what the SEC timetable is for adding market share. They want in the DC and Carolina markets. My feeling is UVA and UNC will hold out for the B!G or keep the ACC together. I don't think the SEC wants to be viewed as the conference pining after certain institutions who finally had to "relent". They want institutions who want them. That fits V Tech and NC St. better than it does UVA and UNC.

I'm not saying it won't be UVA and UNC, I'm just trying to look at motivations from those schools perspectives. Also, UNC's football program is going on probation.

So, let me ask you, why do you think UNC and UVA would want to jump? Every indication screams thei commitment to the ACC. If the B!G is still a possible option, what do you think changes their mind?
If Florida State and Clemson leave, and the SEC wants to expand, Tech and State will likely be begging to leave. If Slive can say, "look guys, we're taking two more schools from your conference...do you want to be the school to join the SEC or get left behind?" It's a pretty compelling case.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Saul 2014
Posts: 30,586
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #2295
eazyb81 eazyb81 is offline
The Illuminati
 
eazyb81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: the road less traveled
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade View Post
So, let me ask you, why do you think UNC and UVA would want to jump? Every indication screams thei commitment to the ACC. If the B!G is still a possible option, what do you think changes their mind?
Honest question: have you ever been to North Carolina?

If so, what in the world makes you think the culture of the state and its fans are more Midwest than Southern?

University leaders make these decision, but they need approval from fans or it will be a massive failure. UNC fans want absolutely nothing to do with a Midwestern Conference, losing all access to the Southeast region. The CIC is valuable, but it's not worth losing all sense of identity. UNC to the Big Ten makes no sense at all.
Posts: 12,025
eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.