Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM  
Saul Good Saul Good is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $6352
****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.****

the second thread has been pronounced dead.
Posts: 30,669
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #2401
Setsuna Setsuna is offline
Ronin
 
Setsuna's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Gator Country
Casino cash: $5530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
SEC Pods

Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech

Florida
Georgia
North Carolina
South Carolina

Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State

Arkansas
LSU
Missouri
Texas A&M
Pods? **** that. Two divisions until time ends. East and West.
__________________
RESOLVE
Posts: 10,344
Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Setsuna is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #2402
eazyb81 eazyb81 is offline
The Illuminati
 
eazyb81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: the road less traveled
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade View Post
I imagine the PAC would get creative with football only associate members unless some weird by-law restricted it. Outside of San Diego St and possibly Hawaii, I don't see an institution that would make their academic standards for full conference inclusion. They have resisted San Diego St because they don't want the recruiting competition and Hawaii is small and far away.
Quick technology update:

They have these large metal tubes that hurl through the atmosphere making actual state connections a relic of the past. Florida State is a done deal to the Big 12, with Clemson, right?
Posts: 12,025
eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #2403
Saul Good Saul Good is online now
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $6352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
LOL after following that link, in the comments, the guy with the four separate divisions is a dumbass. It will always and forever be SEC East and SEC West. ****ing idiot. And I like VaTech and I'll take NC State. I would never condone UNC and UK in the same conference in basketball. Ever. Too much dick sucking for my taste.
If it goes to sixteen, it's going to pods.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Saul 2014
Posts: 30,669
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #2404
ChiefsCountry ChiefsCountry is online now
MVP
 
ChiefsCountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lake of the Ozarks
Casino cash: $7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
Pods? **** that. Two divisions until time ends. East and West.
Pods are for other the sports dipshit.
Posts: 28,258
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #2405
alnorth alnorth is offline
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $8787
TCU's AD is, hilariously, trying to walk back his slip.

I checked several sites to verify because I thought this was some kind of onion sports satire.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1700088.story

Quote:
He said he was simply referring to the "rumor mill" that has speculated about FSU, Miami and Clemson's possible hopes of switching conferences.

"My mouth was hacked," he said, according to the blog. "I know you won't believe me, but it's the truth. Honest. People's Twitter accounts get hacked all the time, and it's obvious that someone got ahold of my vocals and just let loose.

"Believe me, I would never say anything about Florida State's imminent deal to join the Big 12, SEE, it just happened again. Rumor mill, I mean. Rumors THAT things are imminent."
Riiiiight. If he's telling the truth, he is a reckless dumbass. He's in a position to know whats probably going on. If there really, truly, has been no formal contact or even indirect secondary contact, if he's only going on rumors, then he risks embarrassing his new conference. For all he knew, all 3 schools could have released a statement subtly mocking the thought that they'd leave the ACC for the Big 12.

edit: This was apparently satire. A few dumb newspapers ran with it.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?

Last edited by alnorth; 05-23-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Posts: 26,649
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #2406
duncan_idaho duncan_idaho is online now
M-I-Z-Z-O-U
 
duncan_idaho's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Kansas City
Casino cash: $6422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
Pods are for other the sports dipshit.
They will likely be used in football, too, to support the rivalries and cross-division games.

With a 16-team, 9-game conference schedule for two 8 team divisions, teams would play 7 games against their division opponents, one against a cross-division rival, and one rotating. This is not feasible.

With a 16-team, 9-game schedule for 4, 4-team pods, teams would play 3 every year against pod-mates, two against selected rivals, and four that would rotate over time.
__________________
"You gotta love livin', cause dying is a pain in the ass."
---- Sinatra
Posts: 7,947
duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.duncan_idaho has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Saul Good
This message has been deleted by Saul Good.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #2407
Saul Good Saul Good is online now
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Casino cash: $6352
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
They will likely be used in football, too, to support the rivalries and cross-division games.

With a 16-team, 9-game conference schedule for two 8 team divisions, teams would play 7 games against their division opponents, one against a cross-division rival, and one rotating. This is not feasible.

With a 16-team, 9-game schedule for 4, 4-team pods, teams would play 3 every year against pod-mates, two against selected rivals, and four that would rotate over time.
The SEC needs to consult me if they go to sixteen because I have developed the perfect structure.

You have four pods with four teams in each. Each team is assigned a primary rival in another pod and a secondary rival from a third pod.

Each year, you play every team in your pod. That's three games. You then play every team in one of the other pods in a three year rotation. That's seven games. Finally, you play your rival. That's eight games.

However, every three years, you would be playing the pod containing your primary rival, so you need another game. That is when you would play your secondary rival.

This gives you eight conference games per year with four teams you play every year (your pod and rival), one team you play two out of every three years (your secondary rival), and ten teams that you play every three years.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Saul 2014
Posts: 30,669
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #2408
eazyb81 eazyb81 is offline
The Illuminati
 
eazyb81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: the road less traveled
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
The SEC needs to consult me if they go to sixteen because I have developed the perfect structure.

You have four pods with four teams in each. Each team is assigned a primary rival in another pod and a secondary rival from a third pod.

Each year, you play every team in your pod. That's three games. You then play every team in one of the other pods in a three year rotation. That's seven games. Finally, you play your rival. That's eight games.

However, every three years, you would be playing the pod containing your primary rival, so you need another game. That is when you would play your secondary rival.

This gives you eight conference games per year with four teams you play every year (your pod and rival), one team you play two out of every three years (your secondary rival), and ten teams that you play every three years.
Are your pods based on geography or parity? Because most pod projections I've seen are based on geography (i.e. Mizzou, Ark, A&M, LSU in one, etc), but most rivalries will also be in that pod too.

If most teams in your pod are already your rivals, then you're going to end up with a lot of lame Texas A&M-Kentucky "rivalry" games.

I think your idea works well though if they split up into pods based on evening out recruiting areas and football powers. Another idea would be to stick with regional pods, and alternate playing two teams in the other three pods every other year.
















Posts: 12,025
eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #2409
ChiefsCountry ChiefsCountry is online now
MVP
 
ChiefsCountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lake of the Ozarks
Casino cash: $7801
Really in the SEC, two 8 team divisions with cross rivals and a 9 game schedule isn't that bad of a setup. Yeah would it suck not seeing say Alabama vs Florida for 7 years at a time, yes, but there is enough qualtiy games to go around.

Alabama/Tennessee
Auburn/Georgia
Arkansas/South Carolina
LSU/Florida
Mississippi/Vanderbilt
Mississippi St/North Carolina
Missouri/Kentucky
Texas A&M/Virginia Tech
Posts: 28,258
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #2410
alnorth alnorth is offline
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
Really in the SEC, two 8 team divisions with cross rivals and a 9 game schedule isn't that bad of a setup. Yeah would it suck not seeing say Alabama vs Florida for 7 years at a time, yes, but there is enough qualtiy games to go around.

Alabama/Tennessee
Auburn/Georgia
Arkansas/South Carolina
LSU/Florida
Mississippi/Vanderbilt
Mississippi St/North Carolina
Missouri/Kentucky
Texas A&M/Virginia Tech
The problem is that no one wants 9 game schedules unless you can do a round robin (big 12) or other issues force you to 9 (PAC 12, access to SoCal)
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?
Posts: 26,649
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #2411
ChiefsCountry ChiefsCountry is online now
MVP
 
ChiefsCountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lake of the Ozarks
Casino cash: $7801
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
The problem is that no one wants 9 game schedules unless you can do a round robin (big 12) or other issues force you to 9 (PAC 12, access to SoCal)
Not when a new tv network is coming and it needs programming.
Posts: 28,258
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #2412
alnorth alnorth is offline
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry View Post
Not when a new tv network is coming and it needs programming.
The SEC doesn't need any help with tier 1/2. Tier 3 wont be impacted with an extra conference game because fans of those teams are still going to watch the game.

Plus, the 4th OOC game shouldn't be used on a patsy, everyone gets 2 of those anyway.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?
Posts: 26,649
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #2413
eazyb81 eazyb81 is offline
The Illuminati
 
eazyb81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: the road less traveled
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
The SEC doesn't need any help with tier 1/2.
Yes, because schools and conferences never want more money. Good rebuttal!

Quote:
Tier 3 wont be impacted with an extra conference game because fans of those teams are still going to watch the game.
It will be when the SEC partners with ESPN on the network, and ESPN also owns the Tier 2 inventory.

Fastest way to get full carriage in SEC country? Go to a 9 game schedule and give each team a conference game on the new network.
Posts: 12,025
eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #2414
alnorth alnorth is offline
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $8787
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyb81 View Post
Yes, because schools and conferences never want more money. Good rebuttal!

It will be when the SEC partners with ESPN on the network, and ESPN also owns the Tier 2 inventory.

Fastest way to get full carriage in SEC country? Go to a 9 game schedule and give each team a conference game on the new network.
By "don't need much help", I mean "tier 1 is pretty much maxed out", not "eh, it'd be more money, but the SEC doesn't need more money", that would be a silly response.

That said, I probably should have lumped Tier 2 in with Tier 3, not tier 1.

Regarding Tier 3, if you want to give each team a game, just give each team a game, you don't need to go to 9 to do that.

This also doesn't address the undeniable fact that AD's and coaches are, generally, strongly against 9 conference games, and vastly prefer 8. Especially in the SEC, where even though there's 14 teams they still stuck with 8 games even though it meant a 6-year rotation (12-year rotation when counting home vs away).

BCS schools want 7 home games every year. That is very difficult to do with 9 conference games without sacrificing a lot of quality. If the SEC didn't want to go to 8 for 14, they aren't going to 8 with 16, especially since it would be easier to schedule 8 with 16 than it is with 14.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?

Last edited by alnorth; 05-23-2012 at 03:59 PM..
Posts: 26,649
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
 
Old 05-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #2415
eazyb81 eazyb81 is offline
The Illuminati
 
eazyb81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: the road less traveled
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
By "don't need much help", I mean "tier 1 is pretty much maxed out", not "eh, it'd be more money, but the SEC doesn't need more money", that would be a silly response.

That said, I probably should have lumped Tier 2 in with Tier 3, not tier 1.

Regarding Tier 3, if you want to give each team a game, just give each team a game, you don't need to go to 9 to do that.

This also doesn't address the undeniable fact that AD's and coaches are, generally, strongly against 9 conference games, and vastly prefer 8. Especially in the SEC, where even though there's 14 teams they still stuck with 8 games even though it meant a 6-year rotation.

BCS schools want 7 home games every year. That is very difficult to do with 9 conference games without sacrificing a lot of quality. If the SEC didn't want to go to 8 for 14, they aren't going to 8 with 16, especially since it would be easier to schedule 8 with 16 than it is with 14.
Coaches and ADs are against any increase in conference games and have been in every single conference because their jobs and bonuses often depend on making bowl games. That doesn't mean it won't happen though, especially if it is a catalyst for big money from ESPN and/or equity in a conference network.

If a 9 game conference schedule can be used as a carrot for ESPN, it will be used. The idea has been floated on a few SEC sites that are connected in the conference, particularly Mr. SEC. More SEC games = more money. It isn't difficult to understand.
Posts: 12,025
eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.eazyb81 would the whole thing.
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.