Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM  
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2119783
Science is Cool....

This is a repository for all cool scientific discussion and fascination. Scientific facts, theories, and overall cool scientific stuff that you'd like to share with others. Stuff that makes you smile and wonder at the amazing shit going on around us, that most people don't notice.

Post pictures, vidoes, stories, or links. Ask questions. Share science.

This is in support of the Penny 4 NASA project. If you enjoy anything you learned from this thread, consider making a donation and signing the petition.

http://www.penny4nasa.org/

Why should I care?:


Last edited by Fish; 01-07-2013 at 07:55 AM..
Posts: 25,389
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #1486
Donger Donger is online now
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675 N 106.475 W
Casino cash: $221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I think Hitler's human test subject would agree with me too, if they were alive.
I'm not sure I'd take that bet, if offered.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 75,313
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #1487
BigChiefTablet BigChiefTablet is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Casino cash: $27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
No, robots will never = humans.
OK, no rights for the robots. So the new you, freshly digitized and downloaded into your new robot body, is put on shit shoveling duty for eternity or until your parts wear out, whichever comes first. You still think you're you. Still the same guy beneath that hard metallic skin, but now you get to shovel shit with no breaks, forever.
Posts: 1,828
BigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #1488
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2119783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I'm not sure I'd take that bet, if offered.
__________________
Posts: 25,389
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #1489
aturnis aturnis is offline
MVP
 
aturnis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Iowa
Casino cash: $93175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
Maybe, but you can make that same argument for any tech advance.

If we can hands free type on a computer using our brains, it doesn't seem to big a leap in imagination that if we can already get information out of the brain, we can put info in.
Like he said in the interview, they have already implanted memories in mice.

Also think they have successfully watched people's dreams.
Posts: 10,569
aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.aturnis Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #1490
Rausch Rausch is offline
MVP
 
Rausch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Jefferson City, mo., USA
Casino cash: $1228267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet View Post
So do these digitized and downloaded brains have rights? Can they vote? Can they hook up their brain to an apache helicopter and mow people down? Can I reach over and turn them off if they are bothering me? Can they decide that our meat bag bodies are inferior and wipe the rest of us out? Can they have a billion copies of themselves downloaded into separate robot bodies and be everywhere at once? Can they be hacked? Would we really be improving the human race or ensuring its destruction?

No, really, sounds like a great idea.
Most of these problems will have already been encountered by AI long before we have the computing power to mimic the human brain...
__________________
Quote:
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there."
Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico View Post
I wish I always ended up at gay bars.
Posts: 49,669
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:53 PM   #1491
BigChiefTablet BigChiefTablet is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Casino cash: $27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
Most of these problems will have already been encountered by AI long before we have the computing power to mimic the human brain...
From what I gather, they want to plug the AI into people's brains and become a hybrid superhuman. I think we'll be dealing with these issues at, or close to, the same time.
Posts: 1,828
BigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #1492
Rausch Rausch is offline
MVP
 
Rausch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Jefferson City, mo., USA
Casino cash: $1228267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet View Post
From what I gather, they want to plug the AI into people's brains and become a hybrid superhuman. I think we'll be dealing with these issues at, or close to, the same time.
We already use very simple AI.

With what we have now.

Duplicating the human brain is a long way off...
__________________
Quote:
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there."
Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico View Post
I wish I always ended up at gay bars.
Posts: 49,669
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #1493
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2119783
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
Like he said in the interview, they have already implanted memories in mice.

Also think they have successfully watched people's dreams.
Also of note.. I can't remember if it's been posted here, but I recently read about a similar technology in which they've found a way to erase bad memories from a brain, while leaving the good ones. A'la Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind movie. Intended for PTSD treatment and such.
__________________
Posts: 25,389
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #1494
BigChiefTablet BigChiefTablet is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Casino cash: $27883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Also of note.. I can't remember if it's been posted here, but I recently read about a similar technology in which they've found a way to erase bad memories from a brain, while leaving the good ones. A'la Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind movie. Intended for PTSD treatment and such.
Between that and the ability to already implant memories in mice, I can see some good medical advances happening from this tech. But **** me if everyone can't see a little danger here.
Posts: 1,828
BigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliBigChiefTablet 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #1495
Rain Man Rain Man is online now
All posts benefit the infirm.
 
Rain Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 1.61 KM high city
Casino cash: $62711251
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet View Post
Between that and the ability to already implant memories in mice, I can see some good medical advances happening from this tech. But **** me if everyone can't see a little danger here.
I can see the danger, but after one treatment I won't any more.
__________________
In the final seven games of the 2013 season, the Chiefs averaged 34.6 points per game, scored 38 points or more 4 times, and went 2-5. The NFL has ruined the sport.
Posts: 75,641
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 AM   #1496
Baby Lee Baby Lee is offline
Cake Boss!!
 
Baby Lee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 456 Lick My Butthole Lane
Casino cash: $139598
Science SUCKS

http://www.livescience.com/43465-bab...probiotic.html
__________________
I've got a real red wagon!!
Posts: 40,872
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #1497
hometeam hometeam is offline
MVP
 
hometeam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Jefferson City
Casino cash: $2049236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
screw payin them scientific types!

Ill just go straight to the source! My 18 month old is gonna feed us for the rest of the year!
Posts: 5,105
hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.hometeam 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #1498
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $2119783
Mmmmmmm..... baby poop sausage...........
__________________
Posts: 25,389
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #1499
Dave Lane Dave Lane is online now
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $2231000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet View Post
So the answer is no. Just some insane tactics.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 23,511
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #1500
Dave Lane Dave Lane is online now
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $2231000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet View Post
Between that and the ability to already implant memories in mice, I can see some good medical advances happening from this tech. But **** me if everyone can't see a little danger here.
Why don't you pray about this at your church? No danger there of anyone ever getting carried away with taking human lives.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 23,511
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.