Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The GET IN MAH BELLY! Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 AM  
notorious notorious is offline
I Lay Wood for a Living
 
notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Who knows?
Casino cash: $1169
Gun Control

We have all heard about what happened in Aurora, Co, and I think that Gun Control is going to be a huge topic in the following months.


What measures need to be taken? Do you have any ideas that will help prevent this kind of thing from happening again as it pertains to guns?
Posts: 30,137
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #601
Taco John Taco John is offline
12on Paul
 
Taco John's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2001
Casino cash: $10099958
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 View Post
Not knowing much about guns, pistols seem like they're not used for much beyond killing people. No idea about a .223 caliber rifle.

But, perhaps shockingly, when you have things designed exclusively to kill humans, more often than not, humans end up dying from them.

And here's WHY you don't want people having hand guns. Because people are friggen stupid. Cops, who have training and should understand how powerful their guns really are, routinely use excessive deadly force. And now you want me to assume that some shlub who got into guns because he watched Commando 50 times in high school is responsible enough to exercise the proper judgement when it comes to using deadly force.

**** that. We don't trust people enough to leave doors unlocked, or to handle an F-bomb on the radio, but we'll trust them to carry around 15 bits of exploding metal that are only designed to end the lives of other humans. Good ****ing luck.

Oh, you don't know anything about guns, huh? It doesn't really come through...
__________________
Ehyeh asher ehyeh.
Posts: 50,644
Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #602
A Salt Weapon A Salt Weapon is offline
Veteran
 
A Salt Weapon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alaska
Casino cash: $1000970777
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 View Post
I could be wrong, but it seems like if all you could privately own were hunting rifles, shotguns etc true hunting/farm type weapons, it would be far more difficult to procure weapons designed to efficiently end the lives of dozens of people in 90 seconds.

Be real, no matter how much you dislike the government, the fact that you have a few small arms lying around is not the reason this isn't North Korea.

The only purpose for the weapons used in these situations are to kill other humans. I understand wanting a gun to protect your family. I don't understand why anyone thinks a civilian needs military grade weaponry.
You are wrong. Do you have any idea what the intent of the second amendment is?

Here's a hint, it's not to protect hunting rifles or handguns.

Yes, it's to protect the rights of the citizens to own military style weapons, so that the people of this country can defend themselves against tyranny.

In other words: the purpose of the second amendment is to prevent the government from enacting legislation restricting or denying the citizens from possessing firearms.

Shall not be infringed, it's pretty ****ing clear dumbass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 1,693
A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #603
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $105299
That's right. The Second Amendment is about shooting deer.
__________________
“Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.” — James Madison
Posts: 55,788
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #604
Brock Brock is offline
Do it.
 
Brock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Larryville
Casino cash: $160873
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 View Post
Not knowing much about guns, pistols seem like they're not used for much beyond killing people. No idea about a .223 caliber rifle.

But, perhaps shockingly, when you have things designed exclusively to kill humans, more often than not, humans end up dying from them.

And here's WHY you don't want people having hand guns. Because people are friggen stupid. Cops, who have training and should understand how powerful their guns really are, routinely use excessive deadly force. And now you want me to assume that some shlub who got into guns because he watched Commando 50 times in high school is responsible enough to exercise the proper judgement when it comes to using deadly force.

**** that. We don't trust people enough to leave doors unlocked, or to handle an F-bomb on the radio, but we'll trust them to carry around 15 bits of exploding metal that are only designed to end the lives of other humans. Good ****ing luck.
Criminals will ALWAYS have guns. Your ideas about disarming law abiding citizens aren't going to help anyone.
Posts: 42,720
Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #605
A Salt Weapon A Salt Weapon is offline
Veteran
 
A Salt Weapon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alaska
Casino cash: $1000970777
Just because "you" choose not to exercise your "right", does not mean "I" cannot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 1,693
A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.A Salt Weapon is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #606
RNR RNR is offline
Ok which door do I leave from
 
RNR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $34813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It's just disgusting watching the left trying to capitalize politically on this before these kids are even buried.
That is what they do. I have come to loathe the right but the left pushes me to the middle leaning right~
__________________

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little"
George Carlin~
Posts: 23,891
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #607
RNR RNR is offline
Ok which door do I leave from
 
RNR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $34813
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 View Post
Not knowing much about guns, pistols seem like they're not used for much beyond killing people. No idea about a .223 caliber rifle.

But, perhaps shockingly, when you have things designed exclusively to kill humans, more often than not, humans end up dying from them.

And here's WHY you don't want people having hand guns. Because people are friggen stupid. Cops, who have training and should understand how powerful their guns really are, routinely use excessive deadly force. And now you want me to assume that some shlub who got into guns because he watched Commando 50 times in high school is responsible enough to exercise the proper judgement when it comes to using deadly force.

**** that. We don't trust people enough to leave doors unlocked, or to handle an F-bomb on the radio, but we'll trust them to carry around 15 bits of exploding metal that are only designed to end the lives of other humans. Good ****ing luck.
**** off seriously~
__________________

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little"
George Carlin~
Posts: 23,891
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #608
CrazyPhuD CrazyPhuD is offline
Meow
 
CrazyPhuD's Avatar
 
Pandemic Version 2 Champion Simon Champion
Join Date: Jun 2005
Casino cash: $1615695
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 View Post
I could be wrong, but it seems like if all you could privately own were hunting rifles, shotguns etc true hunting/farm type weapons, it would be far more difficult to procure weapons designed to efficiently end the lives of dozens of people in 90 seconds.

Be real, no matter how much you dislike the government, the fact that you have a few small arms lying around is not the reason this isn't North Korea.

The only purpose for the weapons used in these situations are to kill other humans. I understand wanting a gun to protect your family. I don't understand why anyone thinks a civilian needs military grade weaponry.
So I'll share my personal feelings on this issue. I don't hunt and frankly I will never have an interest in hunting. Killing or even harming things is not for me. It's simply not something I enjoy. For similar reasons I'm actually not a big self defense person. I very likely could never shoot someone to save my own life. Probably the only set of circumstances I could shoot someone would be if they placed family in danger. But even then the personal cost would be very high.

I enjoy target shooting recreationally. Most of my firearms are either modern or WWIIish vintage. I have almost no interest in shooting bolt action firearms. If I were shooting super long range they have some advantage but semi-auto is just more enjoyable. I don't have to constantly load a round...I can shoot...aim again...shoot....etc...I waste much less time at the range loading. With the right tools you can load a magazine quick and spend more time doing the 'fun' activity...shooting....and less doing the boring that is loading.

You say why do we need modern looking firearms? I say...I'm not interested in shooting something that looks like it came from the turn of the century. We live in a high-tech world, I shoot high tech weapons. How is it different from saying we should only be allowed turn of the century firearms and we should only be allowed to wear turn of the century clothing?

Would you prefer your wife/gf wear nothing but ankle length dresses? Or do you like it when she wears something more provocative? For me my firearms are as much about my personal expression than anything. They reflect me and my take on life. I am a very high-technology person. I run high tech tools, cars, and firearms. To me it is absolutely and issue of freedom of expression. To me the 2nd amendment rights are secondary, the bigger issue is that you're deciding what I can and cannot use recreationally because of how something looks. That's a first amendment issue.

That's a really scary proposition. What's next, no sports cars because who needs a car that goes over 65MPH? Everyone has to drive Priuses now? That's not who I am, that doesn't represent who I am. As much as what you wear when you go to work defines part of who you are. Everything I own is a reflection of me. From my clothes to my cars to my firearms.

Saying I should be prohibited from owning certain firearms because of how they look or because a very small fraction of people have used them inappropriately squashes one way in which I express myself. That makes me sad.

There are times and places to restrict behavior but when we do so we should do it with caution. We have to be certain we are applying restrictions fairly and that the benefit of such restrictions outweighs the costs. We can't be prohibiting things just because people don't like them. They not only have to do real harm, the restrictions have to do real good(because they always come with a cost).

Just because there are a few that misuse a freedom, doesn't mean that majority shouldn't be allowed to enjoy it.
__________________
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end"
Posts: 8,013
CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.CrazyPhuD threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #609
Messier Messier is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Casino cash: $41508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It's just disgusting watching the left trying to capitalize politically on this before these kids are even buried.
I get equally disgusted at those whose first reaction to these type of things is to think, here we go, here come the, let's ban gun, nuts.
Posts: 6,433
Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #610
RNR RNR is offline
Ok which door do I leave from
 
RNR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $34813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messier View Post
I get equally disgusted at those whose first reaction to these type of things is to think, here we go, here come the, let's ban gun, nuts.
Stop trying and we will stop responding. Law abiding gun owners like myself and millions like me would rather not deal with you left wing anti gun nut cases in the first place~
__________________

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little"
George Carlin~
Posts: 23,891
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #611
alnorth alnorth is offline
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 
Moon Lander Champion Skeet Shoot Champion
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $12397445
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor10 View Post
I could be wrong, but it seems like if all you could privately own were hunting rifles, shotguns etc true hunting/farm type weapons, it would be far more difficult to procure weapons designed to efficiently end the lives of dozens of people in 90 seconds.

Be real, no matter how much you dislike the government, the fact that you have a few small arms lying around is not the reason this isn't North Korea.

The only purpose for the weapons used in these situations are to kill other humans. I understand wanting a gun to protect your family. I don't understand why anyone thinks a civilian needs military grade weaponry.
You'll need a constitutional amendment. The SCOTUS struck down handgun bans.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?
Posts: 25,422
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #612
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $105299
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
You'll need a constitutional amendment. The SCOTUS struck down handgun bans.
Wasn't that only in DC, a federal district? If it was that one, it never addressed the incorporation doctrine. Or was it another one?
__________________
“Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government’s purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.” — James Madison
Posts: 55,788
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #613
alnorth alnorth is offline
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 
Moon Lander Champion Skeet Shoot Champion
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $12397445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
Wasn't that only in DC, a federal district? If it was that one, it never addressed the incorporation doctrine. Or was it another one?
McDonald v. Chicago incorporated the 2nd amendment.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?
Posts: 25,422
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #614
Messier Messier is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Casino cash: $41508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider View Post
Stop trying and we will stop responding. Law abiding gun owners like myself and millions like me would rather not deal with you left wing anti gun nut cases in the first place~
I don't try, and I don't want to take your guns, guns aren't the real problem. We're a really murdery country, I don't know why. Canada has more guns per capita, but they don't have the same problem.

I don't like guns, you're right, and I find it funny you think that's crazy. I just don't get the defensive fervor some employ when they think someone even wants to talk about gun control. Relax. You and your guns are in no danger. No need to freak out. I'm not even someone that wants to take away guns. They aren't the problem.
Posts: 6,433
Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #615
RNR RNR is offline
Ok which door do I leave from
 
RNR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $34813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messier View Post
I don't try, and I don't want to take your guns, guns aren't the real problem. We're a really murdery country, I don't know why. Canada has more guns per capita, but they don't have the same problem.

I don't like guns, you're right, and I find it funny you think that's crazy. I just don't get the defensive fervor some employ when they think someone even wants to talk about gun control. Relax. You and your guns are in no danger. No need to freak out. I'm not even someone that wants to take away guns. They aren't the problem.
Then I apologize for the post, you and I have no issue to resolve~
__________________

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little"
George Carlin~
Posts: 23,891
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.