Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 PM  
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $8180
VARSITY
Why people laugh at Creationists

Taking a lead from Killer Clown I thought I'd create a alternative thread to post some videos I like...

[EDIT New video here]

So on with the show:

Here's the Kent Hovind Theory:



"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions simply because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

Last edited by Dave Lane; 01-08-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Posts: 24,386
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #2251
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Funny how people can read the same thing and translate it differently. What I gathered from it was even "he" one of the smartest scientists in his field has nothing to say on the topic, cannot prove anything on the topic, is ignorant on the topic because nothing exists to prove macro evolution.

__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,391
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #2252
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $6890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lane View Post
This was a really good video.
__________________
Posts: 25,806
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #2253
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
That guy has nothing to offer. He is a boring version of KC. Just as full of shit but boring~
__________________
There are several ways to view the world we live in. I personally enjoy it with the wind in my face and the vibration of my bike beneath me~
Posts: 24,100
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #2254
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Hippocrates didn't say that. Someone of his school wrote something similar to the first part, but not the part about "We will one day understand everything."

It is nicely stated (the real version), demonstrating the Greek attitude -- Western civilization's way -- of exploring the natural world as a natural series of causes and effects, and not the whims of gods. This isn't to say that the Greeks didn't believe in gods (they certainly did), but their conception of god wouldn't define their understanding of the natural world.

To a Persian, if there was an earthquake, it was because god wanted it. To an Egyptian, it was because gods wanted the crops that the Nile flooded.

To an educated Greek -- who benefited from their travels and interactions with other cultures (those cultures who believed in Ahura or Ra) -- an earthquake or flood happened not because some gods wanted it, but because of some natural reason inherent to this rock.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #2255
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by La literatura View Post
Hippocrates didn't say that. Someone of his school wrote something similar to the first part, but not the part about "We will one day understand everything."

It is nicely stated (the real version), demonstrating the Greek attitude -- Western civilization's way -- of exploring the natural world as a natural series of causes and effects, and not the whims of gods. This isn't to say that the Greeks didn't believe in gods (they certainly did), but their conception of god wouldn't define their understanding of the natural world.

To a Persian, if there was an earthquake, it was because god wanted it. To an Egyptian, it was because gods wanted the crops that the Nile flooded.

To an educated Greek -- who benefited from their travels and interactions with other cultures (those cultures who believed in Ahura or Ra) -- an earthquake or flood happened not because some gods wanted it, but because of some natural reason inherent to this rock.
Are we in the habit of separating those quotes instead of attributing them to Hippocrates now? When did that change? Regardless, you missed the point within the context of this discussion.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,391
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2256
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Are we in the habit of separating those quotes instead of attributing them to Hippocrates now? When did that change? Regardless, you missed the point within the context of this discussion.
I see your point and intention, but a false characterization within a mis-attribution itself cannot stand idly by.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #2257
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by La literatura View Post
I see your point and intention, but a false characterization within a mis-attribution itself cannot stand idly by.
Meh. Only the last sentence may be a misattribution as sourcing is difficult, but it's common enough to group those types of quotations under "Hippocrates" that the remainder is enough for the point to stand.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,391
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #2258
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Meh. Only the last sentence may be a misattribution as sourcing is difficult, but it's common enough to group those types of quotations under "Hippocrates" that the remainder is enough for the point to stand.
The misattribution isn't the main problem, though. The person who came up with that quote wasn't an ancient Greek physician. It was frustrated twenty something atheist who spends too much time on the internet looking for self-gratification rather than wisdom.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #2259
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by La literatura View Post
The misattribution isn't the main problem, though. The person who came up with that quote wasn't an ancient Greek physician. It was frustrated twenty something atheist who spends too much time on the internet looking for self-gratification rather than wisdom.
irony defined in a single post~
__________________
There are several ways to view the world we live in. I personally enjoy it with the wind in my face and the vibration of my bike beneath me~
Posts: 24,100
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #2260
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNR View Post
irony defined in a single post~
It's one of the high points of the entire thread.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,391
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #2261
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
It's one of the high points of the entire thread.
Put it on a picture, attribute it to a dead person, and pass it around as gospel truth.

I've spent quite a bit of time with people of my generation, and people who are physically older but mentally still at a younger age. There's quite a few here.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #2262
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by La literatura View Post
Put it on a picture, attribute it to a dead person, and pass it around as gospel truth.
Well, multiple paragraphs of text translated from Greek don't fit well on a head shot. Not that it matters. If ChiefRocka, or you for that matter, wish to worship the god of the gaps it has already been pointed out that it's your right.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,391
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #2263
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Well, multiple paragraphs of text translated from Greek don't fit well on a head shot. Not that it matters.
If you think your only choice is to get your point across by making something up or not getting your point across, it's probably better to just fail at getting your point across. It does matter.

If you want to debate a god-of-the-gaps argument, go for it. It shouldn't be hard to do it accurately.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #2264
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $7410
Quote:
Originally Posted by La literatura View Post
If you think your only choice is to get your point across by making something up or not getting your point across, it's probably better to just fail at getting your point across. It does matter.

If you want to debate a god-of-the-gaps argument, go for it. It shouldn't be hard to do it accurately.
No, it really doesn't matter. Is it your assertion that epilepsy was never considered a divine affliction? Is it your assertion that the fairly common practice of attributing text to Hippocrates that was almost surely written by several other people somehow invalidates the obvious gaps in knowledge that the text points to? I really don't have the time or the inclination to repeat discussions in this thread as each new believer enters and exits it. If you have any meaningful critiques of the "god of the gaps" concept, I would suggest that you watch the video already embedded in this thread. That would be a great starting point for you and you can state any points that you'd like to raise.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 28,391
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #2265
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $6122
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
No, it really doesn't matter. Is it your assertion that epilepsy was never considered a divine affliction? Is it your assertion that the fairly common practice of attributing text to Hippocrates that was almost surely written by several other people somehow invalidates the obvious gaps in knowledge that the text points to? I really don't have the time or the inclination to repeat discussions in this thread as each new believer enters and exits it. If you have any meaningful critiques of the "god of the gaps" concept, I would suggest that you watch the video already embedded in this thread. That would be a great starting point for you and you can state any points that you'd like to raise.
You are begging for white noise~
__________________
There are several ways to view the world we live in. I personally enjoy it with the wind in my face and the vibration of my bike beneath me~
Posts: 24,100
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.