Home Mail Chat Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Overreaction Lounge (again)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM  
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $34554
Are NFL kickers becoming too good?

Akers kicks a 63 yearder.....Kaeding went 5 for 5....

Why are the Chiefs still stuck with a guy who struggles with 41 yarders?


http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ld_goals_.html


in Week 1 kickers made 67 of 72 field-goal attempts, or 93 percent. Oh, and the 49ers’ David Akers became the fourth kicker—after Tom Dempsey in 1970, Jason Elam in 1998, and Sebastian Janikowski last year—to kick a 63-yarder. He also became the fifth active NFL kicker to make one from beyond 60.

I’ve written before that the improvement in NFL kicking since the 1970s is one of the greatest non-equipment-aided performance leaps in any sport. Today’s kickers are bigger, stronger, physically and mentally better conditioned, and, most important, more technically sophisticated than their counterparts in the early days of the “sidewinder” or “soccer-style” kicker. This guy, for one, wouldn’t sniff the field today.

Kickers are so good now—more precisely, the distance from which they can score three points and their accuracy from all distances has increased to such a degree—that NFL coaches use them more than ever. NFL teams attempted a record 1,011 field goals in 2011, which works out to about four attempts per game. In 1984, the figure was 3.5 FG/G. In 1974, it was 3.0. As kickers have improved, the NFL has tried to make their job harder: in 1974, moving the goalposts to the rear of the end zone; in 1995, placing the ball at the spot of the kick instead of the line of scrimmage after a missed FG; in 1999, making them boot new, hard K balls.
Posts: 55,600
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
TEX TEX is offline
I SURVIVED Herm, Scott & Matt!
 
TEX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Casino cash: $23227
Ours isn't...
__________________
Welcome to the National FIXED League...

29 - 13 0.00 QBR...
DOINK!
SWEEP!
Posts: 18,409
TEX has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Mr. Flopnuts Mr. Flopnuts is offline
Nick Dynamite Savior in Waitin
 
Mr. Flopnuts's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The future: Nick Dynamite
Casino cash: $9947665
For what he is, Succop is a great kicker. He generally misses one at the beginning of the year, then lights fire the rest of the way. I'm not even remotely worried about Ryan ****ing Succop.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Fair and balanced. A mod people can be proud of.
Posts: 56,122
Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Fish Fish is online now
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $29019
We have to draft a new kicker guys..... like pronto!
__________________
Posts: 31,118
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Aries Walker Aries Walker is offline
Back again.
 
Aries Walker's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Aspen Hill, MD
Casino cash: $23457
Akers's face after he made that field goal was priceless - and the kick itself was thrilling to watch.
Posts: 7,519
Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Aries Walker has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $34554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts View Post
For what he is, Succop is a great kicker. He generally misses one at the beginning of the year, then lights fire the rest of the way. I'm not even remotely worried about Ryan ****ing Succop.
Except at the end of the year with a potential trip to the playoffs on the line against the Raiders.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 55,600
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Forever Royal
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $25263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Akers kicks a 63 yearder.....Kaeding went 5 for 5....

Why are the Chiefs still stuck with a guy who struggles with 41 yarders?


http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ld_goals_.html


in Week 1 kickers made 67 of 72 field-goal attempts, or 93 percent. Oh, and the 49ers’ David Akers became the fourth kicker—after Tom Dempsey in 1970, Jason Elam in 1998, and Sebastian Janikowski last year—to kick a 63-yarder. He also became the fifth active NFL kicker to make one from beyond 60.

I’ve written before that the improvement in NFL kicking since the 1970s is one of the greatest non-equipment-aided performance leaps in any sport. Today’s kickers are bigger, stronger, physically and mentally better conditioned, and, most important, more technically sophisticated than their counterparts in the early days of the “sidewinder” or “soccer-style” kicker. This guy, for one, wouldn’t sniff the field today.

Kickers are so good now—more precisely, the distance from which they can score three points and their accuracy from all distances has increased to such a degree—that NFL coaches use them more than ever. NFL teams attempted a record 1,011 field goals in 2011, which works out to about four attempts per game. In 1984, the figure was 3.5 FG/G. In 1974, it was 3.0. As kickers have improved, the NFL has tried to make their job harder: in 1974, moving the goalposts to the rear of the end zone; in 1995, placing the ball at the spot of the kick instead of the line of scrimmage after a missed FG; in 1999, making them boot new, hard K balls.
I am almost positive the increased attempts is a more of a direct result of offenses being more pass oriented and in general moving the ball better than ever.
Posts: 12,946
mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Inmem58 Inmem58 is offline
Because We Are The Chiefs
 
Inmem58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kern County, CA
Casino cash: $38126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries Walker View Post
Akers's face after he made that field goal was priceless - and the kick itself was thrilling to watch.
During our football shin-dig I said he'll make it. Won a whooping $3 lol
Posts: 17,420
Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Inmem58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Forever Royal
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $25263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Except at the end of the year with a potential trip to the playoffs on the line against the Raiders.
He should have been the one that made sure Seymour was blocked properly on the second attempt?
Posts: 12,946
mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.mr. tegu threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Discuss Thrower Discuss Thrower is offline
"You like to drink?"
 
Discuss Thrower's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: "I like to drink."
Casino cash: $42423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. tegu View Post
He should have been the one that made sure Seymour was blocked properly on the second attempt?
Or maybe not angle it all of 12 inches above the line's heads.
__________________
Chiefs 2016 Opponents:
Home: JAX, TEN, NO, TB, NYJ. Away: HOU, IND, ATL, CAR, PIT
Chiefs 2017 Opponents:
Home: BUF, MIA, PHI, WSH, AFC North. Away: NE, NYJ, NYG, DAL, AFC South
Posts: 21,297
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Cornstock Cornstock is offline
Veteran
 
Cornstock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Casino cash: $6935
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

Posts: 1,169
Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.Cornstock would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Chief_For_Life58 Chief_For_Life58 is offline
Veteran
 
Chief_For_Life58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: KC
Casino cash: $16038
chiefs rule
Posts: 3,596
Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $34554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstock View Post
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

Hes back in the NFL for the Panthers. He was 1 for 1 on Sunday
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 55,600
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
What? What?
 
htismaqe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstock View Post
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

He was the best kicker in college FB that year. Nobody anticipated that we was a complete headcase.
Posts: 61,900
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
suds79 suds79 is offline
MVP
 
suds79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Casino cash: $5136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstock View Post
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

That's particularly painful when Mason Crosby went the next round.

All you had to do was watch college football and it was clear that Crosby was the best kicker out there.
Posts: 5,748
suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.