Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM  
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $8280
Are NFL kickers becoming too good?

Akers kicks a 63 yearder.....Kaeding went 5 for 5....

Why are the Chiefs still stuck with a guy who struggles with 41 yarders?


http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ld_goals_.html


in Week 1 kickers made 67 of 72 field-goal attempts, or 93 percent. Oh, and the 49ers’ David Akers became the fourth kicker—after Tom Dempsey in 1970, Jason Elam in 1998, and Sebastian Janikowski last year—to kick a 63-yarder. He also became the fifth active NFL kicker to make one from beyond 60.

I’ve written before that the improvement in NFL kicking since the 1970s is one of the greatest non-equipment-aided performance leaps in any sport. Today’s kickers are bigger, stronger, physically and mentally better conditioned, and, most important, more technically sophisticated than their counterparts in the early days of the “sidewinder” or “soccer-style” kicker. This guy, for one, wouldn’t sniff the field today.

Kickers are so good now—more precisely, the distance from which they can score three points and their accuracy from all distances has increased to such a degree—that NFL coaches use them more than ever. NFL teams attempted a record 1,011 field goals in 2011, which works out to about four attempts per game. In 1984, the figure was 3.5 FG/G. In 1974, it was 3.0. As kickers have improved, the NFL has tried to make their job harder: in 1974, moving the goalposts to the rear of the end zone; in 1995, placing the ball at the spot of the kick instead of the line of scrimmage after a missed FG; in 1999, making them boot new, hard K balls.
Posts: 49,850
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
TEX TEX is offline
I SURVIVED Herm, Scott & Matt!
 
TEX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Casino cash: $6884
Ours isn't...
__________________
Welcome to the National FIXED League...
My new FAVORITE Numbers are 43 & 8...
Posts: 14,584
TEX has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Mr. Flopnuts Mr. Flopnuts is offline
The People's Mod
 
Mr. Flopnuts's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Capital
Casino cash: $58193
For what he is, Succop is a great kicker. He generally misses one at the beginning of the year, then lights fire the rest of the way. I'm not even remotely worried about Ryan ****ing Succop.
__________________
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit.
Posts: 44,641
Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Fish Fish is offline
Missing Dick Curl
 
Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Casino cash: $6940
We have to draft a new kicker guys..... like pronto!
__________________
Posts: 25,806
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Aries Walker Aries Walker is offline
Back again.
 
Aries Walker's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Aspen Hill, MD
Casino cash: $6166
Akers's face after he made that field goal was priceless - and the kick itself was thrilling to watch.
Posts: 4,480
Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.Aries Walker is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts View Post
For what he is, Succop is a great kicker. He generally misses one at the beginning of the year, then lights fire the rest of the way. I'm not even remotely worried about Ryan ****ing Succop.
Except at the end of the year with a potential trip to the playoffs on the line against the Raiders.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 49,850
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Hopeful for playoffs
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Akers kicks a 63 yearder.....Kaeding went 5 for 5....

Why are the Chiefs still stuck with a guy who struggles with 41 yarders?


http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...ld_goals_.html


in Week 1 kickers made 67 of 72 field-goal attempts, or 93 percent. Oh, and the 49ers’ David Akers became the fourth kicker—after Tom Dempsey in 1970, Jason Elam in 1998, and Sebastian Janikowski last year—to kick a 63-yarder. He also became the fifth active NFL kicker to make one from beyond 60.

I’ve written before that the improvement in NFL kicking since the 1970s is one of the greatest non-equipment-aided performance leaps in any sport. Today’s kickers are bigger, stronger, physically and mentally better conditioned, and, most important, more technically sophisticated than their counterparts in the early days of the “sidewinder” or “soccer-style” kicker. This guy, for one, wouldn’t sniff the field today.

Kickers are so good now—more precisely, the distance from which they can score three points and their accuracy from all distances has increased to such a degree—that NFL coaches use them more than ever. NFL teams attempted a record 1,011 field goals in 2011, which works out to about four attempts per game. In 1984, the figure was 3.5 FG/G. In 1974, it was 3.0. As kickers have improved, the NFL has tried to make their job harder: in 1974, moving the goalposts to the rear of the end zone; in 1995, placing the ball at the spot of the kick instead of the line of scrimmage after a missed FG; in 1999, making them boot new, hard K balls.
I am almost positive the increased attempts is a more of a direct result of offenses being more pass oriented and in general moving the ball better than ever.
__________________
Posts: 9,062
mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
Inmem58 Inmem58 is offline
Because we are the Chiefs
 
Inmem58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kern County, CA
Casino cash: $8691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries Walker View Post
Akers's face after he made that field goal was priceless - and the kick itself was thrilling to watch.
During our football shin-dig I said he'll make it. Won a whooping $3 lol
Posts: 11,502
Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Inmem58 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Hopeful for playoffs
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $6292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Except at the end of the year with a potential trip to the playoffs on the line against the Raiders.
He should have been the one that made sure Seymour was blocked properly on the second attempt?
__________________
Posts: 9,062
mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Discuss Thrower Discuss Thrower is offline
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
 
Discuss Thrower's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: No, where do YOU live?
Casino cash: $9466
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. tegu View Post
He should have been the one that made sure Seymour was blocked properly on the second attempt?
Or maybe not angle it all of 12 inches above the line's heads.
__________________

- credit goes to BoneKrusher for the pic

Chiefs 2015 Opponents:
Home: CLE, PIT, CHI, DET, AFC East. Away: BAL, CIN, GB, MIN, AFC South
Chiefs 2016 Opponents:
Home: JAX, TEN, NO, TB, AFC East. Away: HOU, IND, ATL, CAR, AFC North
Chiefs 2017 Opponents:
Home: BUF, MIA, PHI, WSH, AFC North. Away: NE, NYJ, NYG, DAL, AFC South
Posts: 11,817
Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.Discuss Thrower threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
Cornstock Cornstock is offline
Veteran
 
Cornstock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Casino cash: $5075
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

Posts: 1,127
Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Cornstock has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Chief_For_Life58 Chief_For_Life58 is offline
Veteran
 
Chief_For_Life58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lawrence
Casino cash: $6143
chiefs rule
Posts: 2,995
Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief_For_Life58 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstock View Post
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

Hes back in the NFL for the Panthers. He was 1 for 1 on Sunday
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 49,850
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
What? What?
 
htismaqe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstock View Post
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

He was the best kicker in college FB that year. Nobody anticipated that we was a complete headcase.
Posts: 61,766
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
suds79 suds79 is offline
MVP
 
suds79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Casino cash: $5111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstock View Post
Hey remember that time we drafted Justin Medlock in the 5th round?

That's particularly painful when Mason Crosby went the next round.

All you had to do was watch college football and it was clear that Crosby was the best kicker out there.
Posts: 5,748
suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.suds79 would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.