Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 AM  
dirk digler dirk digler is offline
Please squeeze
 
dirk digler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clinton, MO
Casino cash: $187264
Do you think Heaven exists?

As some of you may know or not I lost my mom 3 weeks ago and I am sort of struggling with my beliefs with this. She wanted to die so she could go to Heaven instead of getting her colon out. She definitely believed in Heaven and I honestly hope she wasn't disappointed.

My heart wants to believe in Heaven for the simple fact I want to see her again along with my grandma and sometime in the near future my dad.

My head tells me logically that there is probably no heaven and I get a little upset when people say she is in a better place because I really want to say Is she or how do you know?

So I am curious what you guys\gals believe and I am wondering outside of what the bible says has there been anything you have witnessed or experienced that lead you to believe one way or another?



Edit: I do appreciate all the kind words of support it does mean alot but I am not wanting this to be a sympathy thread so any argument for against is fine by me. There will be no offense taken. So have at it.

Last edited by dirk digler; 10-31-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Posts: 48,356
dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dirk digler 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #196
1moreTRich 1moreTRich is offline
Starter
 
1moreTRich's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wichita, KS
Casino cash: $36297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Loopner View Post
Tomorrow no more exists than (as you say) ghosts, God, heaven or hell although reading some of these posts could change one's mind about hell.
The logical issue you run into here is these two things are not comparable. We can show that we have had a number of tomorrows in a row exist. The sun has risen for everyday of my life, so for me to make the assumption that there is going to be a tomorrow is not that big of a stretch. There is no proof the other things you that you have listed ever existed or ever will exist.
Posts: 206
1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.1moreTRich must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #197
Bump Bump is offline
DMVP
 
Bump's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Casino cash: $61355
With facebook I bet it's more difficult to get into heaven these days. God will be like "well I was gonna let you in, but then you didn't like nor share the pic on facebook that said "like if you love Jesus"
Posts: 11,752
Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Bump has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #198
HMc HMc is offline
from the very deep south.
 
HMc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia.
Casino cash: $15772
The concept of heaven is clearly nonsense to anyone not indoctrinated into christianity. If you came up with that shit today they'd lock you up for your own welfare.

Your mum isn't experiencing more discomfort, and the great thing about her unfulfilled expectations regarding heaven is that she has no clue that they were ultimately unfulfilled.
Posts: 2,763
HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.HMc has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #199
King_Chief_Fan King_Chief_Fan is offline
Praise Him
 
King_Chief_Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: St. Louis MO
Casino cash: $62905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco View Post
This has nothing to do, really, with the OP, but I'm going to say it here and then I'm going to go about my business.

Dave Lane is a man who is actively searching for greater understanding, and because he searches, I respect him as my brother. And though he would rather not be my brother in Christ, I claim him anyway as my brother in exploring our humanity and the meaningfulness or meaninglessness of our time together here.

"And that's all I have to say about that."
This is a good post
__________________
Ephesians 2:8-10

English Standard Version (ESV)

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Posts: 8,198
King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.King_Chief_Fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #200
La literatura La literatura is offline
MVP
 
La literatura's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Casino cash: $50809
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan View Post
This is a good post
A generous post.
Posts: 7,171
La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.La literatura is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #201
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $2233676
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk digler View Post
Clay I use to think EXACTLY like you do, hell part of me may still do. Then I lost 2 of the most important people in my life and my perspective has changed, admittedly mostly out of selfishness and the desire to see them again.
The power and desire to believe something is the reason religion will be so hard to displace. But it is coming, the steady beat of progress will erode superstitions and replace them with the world as it is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 23,909
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #202
KILLER_CLOWN KILLER_CLOWN is offline
Be HEALED!!!!!!!
 
KILLER_CLOWN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Fascist State
Casino cash: $11142641
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan View Post
This is a good post
It's almost as if Satan was posting, dragon speak if i've ever heard it.
__________________
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father ... And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

"If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 24,192
KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.KILLER_CLOWN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #203
durtyrute durtyrute is offline
Sho nuff
 
durtyrute's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chieftown USA
Casino cash: $995893
Now that I have read the edit I can answer the way that I wanted to at first. I do not believe in heaven.
__________________
ďAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke
Posts: 5,659
durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.durtyrute wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #204
Mrs. Loopner Mrs. Loopner is offline
Starter
 
Mrs. Loopner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NotAllowed2TellStrangers
Casino cash: $6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moreTRich View Post
The logical issue you run into here is these two things are not comparable. We can show that we have had a number of tomorrows in a row exist. The sun has risen for everyday of my life, so for me to make the assumption that there is going to be a tomorrow is not that big of a stretch. There is no proof the other things you that you have listed ever existed or ever will exist.
You have a number of yesterdays, one today and no tomorrow in existence.

Anything can be compared Itís the evidence you use to support the comparison that matters.

While I appreciate your response, itís interesting that you use logic and assumption to refute my statement.

Logic is a science of reasonable deduction or inference. Assumption is the belief in something based upon the outcome of previously occurring or historical events. Although it is probable tomorrow will happen, assumption or logic does not guarantee nor prove it will take place yet you believe it will.

A theory is a concept that is not yet verified or proven but if true would explain a group of or certain facts. It is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it. For a theory to become scientific law it must answer why. Evolution, relativity, inflationary, are examples of theories and your argument that tomorrow exists could be considered a theory (loosely).

Many religions have historical documentation (the bible, Quaran, Torah) which contain groups of facts and historical records which prove people, places and events have occurred. No factual evidence has been presented to dispute them. So I can also say religion, God, angels, demons existence is a theory (loosely) which cannot be disproved.

Your belief/assumption/logic that tomorrow will exist carries equal weight to the belief that God exists. Neither assumption nor logic change the fact you can prove tomorrow exists any more than God, specters, angels, demons, heaven or hell can be proven although I wonder of those who donít believe in God believe in intuition.
Posts: 384
Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Mrs. Loopner must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #205
J Diddy J Diddy is offline
One Groovy Cat
 
J Diddy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Pitt State baby
Casino cash: $166623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Loopner View Post
You have a number of yesterdays, one today and no tomorrow in existence.

Anything can be compared Itís the evidence you use to support the comparison that matters.

While I appreciate your response, itís interesting that you use logic and assumption to refute my statement.

Logic is a science of reasonable deduction or inference. Assumption is the belief in something based upon the outcome of previously occurring or historical events. Although it is probable tomorrow will happen, assumption or logic does not guarantee nor prove it will take place yet you believe it will.

A theory is a concept that is not yet verified or proven but if true would explain a group of or certain facts. It is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it. For a theory to become scientific law it must answer why. Evolution, relativity, inflationary, are examples of theories and your argument that tomorrow exists could be considered a theory (loosely).

Many religions have historical documentation (the bible, Quaran, Torah) which contain groups of facts and historical records which prove people, places and events have occurred. No factual evidence has been presented to dispute them. So I can also say religion, God, angels, demons existence is a theory (loosely) which cannot be disproved.

Your belief/assumption/logic that tomorrow will exist carries equal weight to the belief that God exists. Neither assumption nor logic change the fact you can prove tomorrow exists any more than God, specters, angels, demons, heaven or hell can be proven although I wonder of those who donít believe in God believe in intuition.
There has been tons of factual evidence that dispute a majority of those claims.
Posts: 29,288
J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.J Diddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #206
Count Zarth Count Zarth is offline
Emperor of the Universe
 
Count Zarth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Casino cash: $10244249
The Egyptian concept of the afterlife is cooler anyway.

I want to take my cool shit with me.

Is that less valid than xtian afterlife mythology? Just curious.

Posts: 165,898
Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #207
Pitt Gorilla Pitt Gorilla is offline
Banned!
 
Pitt Gorilla's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: NOT Columbia, MO 65201
Casino cash: $112327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Loopner View Post
Certainly not a mathematician or familiar with medicine are you?

diagnostic specificity;
the probability that a person not having a disease will be correctly identified by a clinical test, i.e., the number of true negative results divided by the total number of all those without the disease (which is the sum of the number of true negative plus false positive results).
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition.

negative predictive value;
the probability that a patient with a negative test result really is free of the condition for which the test was conducted.
Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary, 3 ed. © 2007 Elsevier, Inc

Of course, you could get tested for Moronicís disease although Iím pretty sure it wonít come back Negative. Not sure thereís a cure for it but help is available.

Whatís up with the, ďHeard they don't even have DirecTV there anywayĒ? If it doesnít exist then whoíd you hear it from or are you hearing things now too?
he appears to be talking about proving something and you're talking about probability of an event. I assume you know the difference.
__________________

That rabbit is crazy; I'm Brian Waters!

Kotter: "You are lucky I'm truly not the vindictive or psycho type...I'd be careful from now on, and I'd just back the hell off if I were you....otherwise, the Mizzou "extension office" life might get exciting"

Kotter: "You're just gay. G-A-Y. Gay."
Posts: 21,127
Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.Pitt Gorilla is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #208
ClevelandBronco ClevelandBronco is offline
Banned
 
ClevelandBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Casino cash: $160740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning View Post
Just curious.
You're not bright enough to be curious.
Posts: 20,220
ClevelandBronco has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #209
stevieray stevieray is offline
Ring of Fire
 
stevieray's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $85036888
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
There has been tons of factual evidence that dispute a majority of those claims.


...over 90% fo Bible prophecy has been fulfilled.
Posts: 36,202
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #210
Count Zarth Count Zarth is offline
Emperor of the Universe
 
Count Zarth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Casino cash: $10244249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco View Post
You're not bright enough to be curious.
I'm bright enough that I was indoctrinated into a ridiculous faith that believed in the afterlife and figured out for myself that it was LOL.
Posts: 165,898
Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.