Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Royal Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM  
synthesis2 synthesis2 is offline
synthesis2
 
synthesis2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Casino cash: $5099
Why is there an Electoral College

It started in the 1700's when people didn't have access to information and understanding as to what is going on with the canidates but with everything we have today to make a good informed decision, it simply dosent make any sense.

Examples: If you live in Texas and are a democrat your vote dosen't count

If you live in California and are a republican your vote dosen't count

I have never heard a good argument as to why a popular vote dosen't work in today's society.

If the majority of the people want one person but the electorial college says the other is the winner why is that right?

Look I really don't care who wins in the end with divided house/senate very little is going to happen, we all know that.

My rant is why we can't finally go to a vote that makes sense.
Posts: 160
synthesis2 has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #46
whoman69 whoman69 is offline
The Master
 
whoman69's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthesis2 View Post
yes but at least if you are in texas and are a democrat and you vote you know that your vote is going to count toward the end result, where as it stands right now you get absolutly zero credit, vis versa in cailfornia
Just wait until 2016.
__________________
-Watching Eddie Podolak
Quote:
Originally posted by Logical
When the boobs are a bouncin, the Chiefs will be trouncin
What the Raiders fan has said is true, our customs are different. What Al Davis has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words.
Posts: 23,081
whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #47
whoman69 whoman69 is offline
The Master
 
whoman69's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Casino cash: $5000
The electoral college is in place to give smaller states a larger say in electing the President. Its also in place to protect against a regional candidate gaining power. Its also in place to make certain there is a mandate for winning candidate even if their margin is a small one.

While I agree the winner take all part is unfair and non-representative, a better system is in place in Nebraska and Maine where each congressional district vote is up for grabs. I think it would put more of the country in play and have more people vote knowing their vote can now make a difference.
__________________
-Watching Eddie Podolak
Quote:
Originally posted by Logical
When the boobs are a bouncin, the Chiefs will be trouncin
What the Raiders fan has said is true, our customs are different. What Al Davis has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words.
Posts: 23,081
whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #48
tooge tooge is offline
MVP
 
tooge's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Liberty, MO
Casino cash: $6893
more importantly, could the football team of Electoral College beat the chiefs?
Posts: 8,531
tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.tooge has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #49
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthesis2 View Post
We had slavery back then, that isn't the right thing, we have a popular vote for local officials, there is no reason we should not have one for the president
This is a very ignorant and uneducated post.

Try googling the term "Federalism". Start there.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,850
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #50
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoman69 View Post
The electoral college is in place to give smaller states a larger say in electing the President. Its also in place to protect against a regional candidate gaining power. Its also in place to make certain there is a mandate for winning candidate even if their margin is a small one.

While I agree the winner take all part is unfair and non-representative, a better system is in place in Nebraska and Maine where each congressional district vote is up for grabs. I think it would put more of the country in play and have more people vote knowing their vote can now make a difference.
I just don't get those arguments for it anymore? There are no more regional candidates in today's modern world with Internet, 24/7 news cycles, talk radio etc.....people have access to an overwhelming amount of info. No matter where you live, rural or big city.
I know it will,never happen because too many people are for the status quo, but a direct election where every vote truly does matter just makes the most sense in today's world.

I would be all for ditching the winner takes all system as well. The system as it stands now is stupid.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 50,353
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #51
RedNeckRaider RedNeckRaider is offline
Got highway?
 
RedNeckRaider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $7324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
I just don't get those arguments for it anymore? There are no more regional candidates in today's modern world with Internet, 24/7 news cycles, talk radio etc.....people have access to an overwhelming amount of info. No matter where you live, rural or big city.
I know it will,never happen because too many people are for the status quo, but a direct election where every vote truly does matter just makes the most sense in today's world.

I would be all for ditching the winner takes all system as well. The system as it stands now is stupid.
The left will fight tooth and nail to preserve their advantage if anyone wants to do away with this antiquated system~
__________________
It would indeed be a tragedy if the history of the human race proved to be nothing more than the story of an ape playing with a box of matches on a petrol dump.
David Ormsby Gore~
Posts: 24,204
RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.RedNeckRaider is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #52
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
I just don't get those arguments for it anymore? There are no more regional candidates in today's modern world with Internet, 24/7 news cycles, talk radio etc.....people have access to an overwhelming amount of info. No matter where you live, rural or big city.
I know it will,never happen because too many people are for the status quo, but a direct election where every vote truly does matter just makes the most sense in today's world.

I would be all for ditching the winner takes all system as well. The system as it stands now is stupid.
Try googling, "The great compromise".

I know that our history and institutions don't mean a damn thing to you socialists, but you can try to educate yourself?, no wait, you depend on the government to give you a REAL education?
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,850
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #53
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
MVP
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcountry View Post
Try googling, "The great compromise".

I know that our history and institutions don't mean a damn thing to you socialists, but you can try to educate yourself?, no wait, you depend on the government to give you a REAL education?
Huh? I'm a conservative dumbass
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 50,353
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #54
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $13522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcountry View Post
Try googling, "The great compromise".

I know that our history and institutions don't mean a damn thing to you socialists, but you can try to educate yourself?, no wait, you depend on the government to give you a REAL education?
He's not a socialist.
__________________
“The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the legislature.” ~ James Madison, Father of the Constitution
Posts: 58,283
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #55
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Huh? I'm a conservative dumbass
My bad, except, that eliminating the EC, IMHO, is NOT a conservative position.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,850
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #56
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $5370
It's time for me to push away from the keyboard. Deberg, I apologize. When I start to get hyped up, I start posting generalized vitriol at all those who I know are peeping. Nothing personal dude.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,850
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #57
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $13522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcountry View Post
My bad, except, that eliminating the EC, IMHO, is NOT a conservative position.
It's not. So I can see why you thought that.
__________________
“The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the legislature.” ~ James Madison, Father of the Constitution
Posts: 58,283
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #58
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $5370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
It's not. So I can see why you thought that.
It's in the constitution?

If you want to eliminate it, fine, then amend the constitution as set forth in the constitution.
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,850
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #59
Calcountry Calcountry is offline
Shoot the tube
 
Calcountry's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where I am
Casino cash: $5370
There are many reasons for keeping it, not the least of which is, how easy would it be for the Chicago and California machines to manufacture votes to offset the few thousand votes of concerned North Dakotan's about their own sovereign interests in their own state?
__________________
Amerika, Amerika, I shed my grace on Thee.
Posts: 26,850
Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.Calcountry would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #60
whoman69 whoman69 is offline
The Master
 
whoman69's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider View Post
The left will fight tooth and nail to preserve their advantage if anyone wants to do away with this antiquated system~
Without this antiquated system Bush would have never been elected. Romney didn't win the popular vote either.
__________________
-Watching Eddie Podolak
Quote:
Originally posted by Logical
When the boobs are a bouncin, the Chiefs will be trouncin
What the Raiders fan has said is true, our customs are different. What Al Davis has said is unimportant, and we do not hear his words.
Posts: 23,081
whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.whoman69 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.