Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

View Poll Results: Is discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation wrong?
Yes, it is morally wrong 10 15.87%
Yes, it is morally and legally wrong 32 50.79%
No, its not morally wrong 0 0%
No, its not morally or legally wrong 10 15.87%
Yes, its legally wrong but morally right 0 0%
Yes, its morally wrong but still legal to discriminate 7 11.11%
Put me down for the GAZ option 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 PM  
BigRedChief BigRedChief is offline
Brainwashed
 
BigRedChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Swims with fishes
Casino cash: $291958
Is discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation wrong?

I've never had a publicly gay friend, family member or co-worker. I have no experience with anyone being discriminated against for being gay. I can't understand the concept of male wanting to have sex with another male.

But, I don't have to understand it. Whatever two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom is none of my business.

I believe that discriminating against someone only because of their sexual orientation is wrong and is/should be constitutionally protected.
Posts: 41,481
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #46
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Frazod Loves Hammy
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $89768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneiguana View Post
And that is not discrimination. I don't agree with a lot of my family members, but I wouldn't fire them because I don't agree with them

/treat others the way you want to be treated, would you discriminate against yourself?
Everyone discriminates daily—including you. You discriminate as to who you choose to refute. Discrimination, as it's trying to be used in these arguments, means animus toward a group.It doesn't outlaw all discrimination. We have to discriminate to survive since everything is not the same.
__________________
"“Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration has been minding my own business.”" — Calvin Coolidge
Posts: 53,227
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #47
Radar Chief Radar Chief is offline
Vroooom.
 
Radar Chief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: In the box.
Casino cash: $103791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 View Post
Out of curiosity, how many of the gay people that you know have daddy issues?
I too have a family member who is gay. He was raised by his grandmother and never had a dad in his life. What I soon noticed is all his gay friends and boyfriends had different upbringings with one major common theme.

I am not saying having daddy issues, or being raised alone makes you gay or anything. There are plenty of people who have shitty fathers, or never had a father in their life and are straight. I was just wondering if that was something that was more common in your experience as well?
Mrs. Radar has several gay friends and the two that have been around the most both had very supportive fathers that I think knew early on that their sons were gay because when they both finally came out of the closet their fathers accepted it as if it were no big deal remaining supportive.
So no, I don’t think daddy issues are necessarily a trigger.
__________________
Like "Cool Hand" Luke I'm busting rocks.

__/|_/[___]
|/ \\_| ---OllllO
_( ))~-( ))-0--))
Posts: 21,910
Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #48
blaise blaise is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Casino cash: $9749793
I don't oppose gay marriage, by the way.
Posts: 19,455
blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #49
ForeverChiefs58 ForeverChiefs58 is offline
MVP
 
ForeverChiefs58's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Casino cash: $586059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar Chief View Post
Mrs. Radar has several gay friends and the two that have been around the most both had very supportive fathers that I think knew early on that their sons were gay because when they both finally came out of the closet their fathers accepted it as if it were no big deal remaining supportive.
So no, I don’t think daddy issues are necessarily a trigger.

Very interesting. I had a friend I knew who later ended up coming out of the closet years later. The one thing I can never forget him telling a group of us one day his dad got out his checkbook and asked him how much it would cost him to get him out of his life. Everyone of us were pretty shocked, but he was very casual about it.
Posts: 6,322
ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.ForeverChiefs58 is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #50
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise View Post
That's not the same thing if you believe same-sex marriage is wrong or immoral. It would be like saying, "You shouldn't commit this sin or crime. If it was me that was considering it I would want you to talk me out of it."

The debate about whether you should believe same-sex marriage is a sin or immoral is another conversation. But what you're posting doesn't point out a hypocrisy if the person believe same sex marriage is immoral or wrong.
I don't think Jesus told us to discriminate against someone because of sins. In fact, I think he got in trouble with some people because he would hang out with sinners, tax collectors and prostitutes. And I am not trying to point out hypocrisy. I am just saying, that regardless of who or what a person does, Jesus asked us to love them and love doesn't have room for discrimination.

Again, lets look at family. I disagree with a lot of them. I dislike a lot of them. But I won't purposely not invite them to family events. I won't go out of my way to exclude them from the family. I won't try to get them fired from a job for the sole reason that I disagree with them.

Now I may not talk with them, may not interact with them, I may find it hard to love them if we interact, but I won't exclude them for that reason. I just won't talk politics at the Family reunion.
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #51
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27226
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
Everyone discriminates daily—including you. You discriminate as to who you choose to refute. Discrimination, as it's trying to be used in these arguments, means animus toward a group.It doesn't outlaw all discrimination. We have to discriminate to survive since everything is not the same.
You have a broad definition of Discrimination. I don't believe an argument is discrimination as per say in this topic. Yes, talking about differences is technically discrimination, but the poll isn't asking if we think there are differences. I believe this topic is using the definition of discrimination that judges based off of other things besides individual merit.

Discrimination.
1.an act or instance of discriminating, or of making a distinction.
2.treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
3.the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.
4.Archaic. something that serves to differentiate.

Do we make distinctions between like objects every day, of course.
Does everyone judge people based on those distinctions rather than individual merit, of course not. I try not too, but we are only human.
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #52
WhiteWhale WhiteWhale is offline
Veteran
 
WhiteWhale's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Doo-Dah
Casino cash: $37573
Simply acknowledging them as a group because of their sexual orientation is a kind of discrimination.

One clearly has to make a distinction first.
Posts: 3,528
WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.WhiteWhale Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #53
Radar Chief Radar Chief is offline
Vroooom.
 
Radar Chief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: In the box.
Casino cash: $103791
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 View Post
Very interesting. I had a friend I knew who later ended up coming out of the closet years later. The one thing I can never forget him telling a group of us one day his dad got out his checkbook and asked him how much it would cost him to get him out of his life. Everyone of us were pretty shocked, but he was very casual about it.
Wow. I can’t imagine being that cold to my son.
__________________
Like "Cool Hand" Luke I'm busting rocks.

__/|_/[___]
|/ \\_| ---OllllO
_( ))~-( ))-0--))
Posts: 21,910
Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #54
blaise blaise is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Casino cash: $9749793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneiguana View Post
I don't think Jesus told us to discriminate against someone because of sins. In fact, I think he got in trouble with some people because he would hang out with sinners, tax collectors and prostitutes. And I am not trying to point out hypocrisy. I am just saying, that regardless of who or what a person does, Jesus asked us to love them and love doesn't have room for discrimination.

Again, lets look at family. I disagree with a lot of them. I dislike a lot of them. But I won't purposely not invite them to family events. I won't go out of my way to exclude them from the family. I won't try to get them fired from a job for the sole reason that I disagree with them.

Now I may not talk with them, may not interact with them, I may find it hard to love them if we interact, but I won't exclude them for that reason. I just won't talk politics at the Family reunion.
There's different areas, though. Saying you should exclude a homosexual from events or your life is one thing. Saying you don't think they should marry is another. If your definition of marriage is a man and a woman, then saying a man and a man shouldn't marry wouldn't be discrimination.

If your belief is that God says same-sex marriage is wrong, then it wouldn't go against your teachings to say your church shouldn't perform same-sex marriages. You'd be adhering to what you believe are the teachings. That wouldn't mean you'd have to your back on what you perceive to be the Lost Sheep. Most churches wouldn't say a person couldn't attend a church because they're gay, or say members shouldn't talk to or interact with homosexuals.

To me, there's a legal concept of marriage as sort of a contract and tax entity between people and the state (in which case I don't know why people care who gets married, as long as they're consenting adults), and then there's a concept of marriage that it's a unity of two people before God. If a church interprets the Bible to say same-sex marriage is ok, then so be it - that's their interpretation of the book. If another says they believe the Bible tells them that same-sex marriages are not actual marriages, and so they won't perform them in good faith, so be it. In my opinion that doesn't go against teachings of love thy neighbor.
There's obviously a variety of ways churches can look at the issue, because many treat the issue differently.
Posts: 19,455
blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #55
Ace Gunner Ace Gunner is offline
First Overall
 
Ace Gunner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: kcmo
Casino cash: $11021583
not immoral.
__________________
two five
Posts: 10,384
Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.Ace Gunner is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #56
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The Bitch is back
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $68484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I've never had a publicly gay friend, family member or co-worker. I have no experience with anyone being discriminated against for being gay. I can't understand the concept of male wanting to have sex with another male.

But, I don't have to understand it. Whatever two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom is none of my business.

I believe that discriminating against someone only because of their sexual orientation is wrong and is/should be constitutionally protected.
You lost me at the very end.


When libs start talking about "constitutional protections", I get highly suspicious. Quit forcing your beliefs onto everyone else.
Posts: 10,661
Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Prison Bitch is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #57
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Frazod Loves Hammy
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $89768
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
She means that she doesn't think my answer would have passed a libertarian "purity" test, for lack of a better term.




This.
No, this one is not a purity based comment. It's actually the heart of the ideology. It's an ideology that purports to be morally neutral. It's the word "immoral" here to which I am referring. ( Not the fact that it also violates property rights another break with libertarianism) I mean I don't adhere to the moral neutrality notion myself, but I do read the most widely read Libertarian site daily to know what they support. What would be consistent, would be to say it's an unwise policy even if the govt should stay out of it. And, of course, libertarians say the market should be left to handle such things. You have a left-progressive strain in you, listo. Just sayin' as an observation not to say you're bad because of it.
__________________
"“Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration has been minding my own business.”" — Calvin Coolidge

Last edited by BucEyedPea; 03-26-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Posts: 53,227
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #58
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
Frazod Loves Hammy
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $89768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneiguana View Post
You have a broad definition of Discrimination. I don't believe an argument is discrimination as per say in this topic. Yes, talking about differences is technically discrimination, but the poll isn't asking if we think there are differences. I believe this topic is using the definition of discrimination that judges based off of other things besides individual merit.

Discrimination.
1.an act or instance of discriminating, or of making a distinction.
2.treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
3.the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.
4.Archaic. something that serves to differentiate.

Do we make distinctions between like objects every day, of course.
Does everyone judge people based on those distinctions rather than individual merit, of course not. I try not too, but we are only human.
You were using it too broadly yourself. The law doesn't even use it as broadly as yourself is what I was tryin' to point out.
__________________
"“Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration has been minding my own business.”" — Calvin Coolidge
Posts: 53,227
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #59
alpha_omega alpha_omega is offline
MVP
 
alpha_omega's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty
Casino cash: $153208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lane View Post
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)
That's a whole other thread there.
Posts: 6,258
alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.alpha_omega Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #60
Dave Lane Dave Lane is offline
Space Cadet and Aczabel
 
Dave Lane's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Kansas City, Mo, USA
Casino cash: $2223752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneiguana View Post
The Daily Show did a segment on Missouri Laws Against Discriminating because of Gun ownership and Against Discriminating against Homosexuality.

/you shouldn't have to guess which one is a protected class and which isn't.


http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...-free-to-blast
Thats ****ing embarrassing. It is Missouri but still.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris616 View Post
High Tech is Sorcery and the people who are really powerful are literally telling people to commit crimes using the psychic interspace created by the WWW and Wireless. They are controlling peoples actions like drones . The two things are deeply intertwined. The more man's brain interfaces with machines the creepier it gets. They use brains separate from a human body in a supercomputer and you have The Image of the Beast. The military has been doing this since the 50s
Posts: 22,586
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.