Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 PM  
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $7772
Why My Brain Is On Fire

Comprehensive immigration reform.

That's it. That's why my brain is on fire.

You have:

1. A fair bill to have emerged from the Senate, with a huge majority.

2. A POTUS who would sign this thing in a heartbeat.

3. A House that, if this bill were to come up for a vote today, would easily pass with unanimous Democratic support and solid moderate Republican support.

4. Huge majorities of Americans that favor stronger border protection and path to citizenships.

5. The demographic future of the Republican Party potentially on the line.

And somehow, some way, this bill will not become law. Because the House won't even put it up for a vote.

For the most trite reason of all: because not enough Republicans support it. Even though it would certainly pass if it a vote was held. Even though it's conventional wisdom suggests this could cost them latino voters for a generation. Even though the public voted for Democrats over Republicans for POTUS, the Senate, and the House. And the only reason the Republicans have the House in the first place is because they gerrymandered themselves into it.

But that's it. The bill will not even get a vote in the House.

Otherwise, it's getting signed this weekend, becomes law of the land, provides this country with a gigantic economic boost, helps bring unprotected millions out of the shadows, drastically cuts into illegal immigration, and provides valentines for DREAMers, high-skilled workers, and others.

But, despite everything, this is not happening.

My brain. Is on fire.
Posts: 44,296
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #46
Xanathol Xanathol is offline
Starter
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Casino cash: $5575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Comprehensive immigration reform.

That's it. That's why my brain is on fire.

You have:

1. A fair bill to have emerged from the Senate, with a huge majority.

2. A POTUS who would sign this thing in a heartbeat.

3. A House that, if this bill were to come up for a vote today, would easily pass with unanimous Democratic support and solid moderate Republican support.

4. Huge majorities of Americans that favor stronger border protection and path to citizenships.

5. The demographic future of the Republican Party potentially on the line.

And somehow, some way, this bill will not become law. Because the House won't even put it up for a vote.

For the most trite reason of all: because not enough Republicans support it. Even though it would certainly pass if it a vote was held. Even though it's conventional wisdom suggests this could cost them latino voters for a generation. Even though the public voted for Democrats over Republicans for POTUS, the Senate, and the House. And the only reason the Republicans have the House in the first place is because they gerrymandered themselves into it.

But that's it. The bill will not even get a vote in the House.

Otherwise, it's getting signed this weekend, becomes law of the land, provides this country with a gigantic economic boost, helps bring unprotected millions out of the shadows, drastically cuts into illegal immigration, and provides valentines for DREAMers, high-skilled workers, and others.

But, despite everything, this is not happening.

My brain. Is on fire.


In other news, the title of your thread is misleading, as we all know that to be quite impossible.
Posts: 526
Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Xanathol must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #47
theelusiveeightrop theelusiveeightrop is online now
Spiraling down the Drain
 
theelusiveeightrop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dante's Ninth Circle
Casino cash: $8790
My brain. Is on fire.


Drill some holes in your head using a DeWalt drill. Pour in water. Problem solved.
__________________
"We're both part of the same hypocrisy, Senator, but never think it applies to my family."

2014 Adopt a Chief - Travis Kelce #87
Posts: 20,047
theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.theelusiveeightrop is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #48
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
This doesn't really respond to the OP.

I'm in shock that an immigration bill that has the support of the executive branch, Senate and House, as well as being on the right side of public opinion and providing long-overdue progress for Dreamers, employers, high skill workers, and the 11 million undocumented immigrants is not going to pass, because it's not going to get a vote. Because not enough Republicans like it enough to get one.

Your response: well, hey. The Republican Party will live to fight another day.

Well. Great. I guess.
No, it is responsive to the OP.

You said that immigration reform is (potentially) the last chance for Republicans to avoid extinction. I said that there is no political reason for the GOP to want to pass it. It was your 5th enumerated point.

As for your concern that the Republican controlled House is blocking democrat favored legislation, I'd ask, are you new to our political system?
__________________


"I'll see you guys in New York." ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to US military personnel upon his release from US custody at Camp Bucca in Iraq during Obama's first year in office.
Posts: 75,744
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #49
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $5000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Well, by all means. Let's just sit on our hands and let these problems pervade for another five years.

What's a few more thousand rapes in grape vineyards across the countryside, when we could be dealing with ADMINISTRATIVE DIFFICULTIES.

Perish the thought.
What does this bill have to do with rapes in vineyards? Does it call for a new force of vineyard police to keep watch over our crop pickers?
__________________


"I'll see you guys in New York." ISIS Caliph Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to US military personnel upon his release from US custody at Camp Bucca in Iraq during Obama's first year in office.
Posts: 75,744
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #50
mlyonsd mlyonsd is offline
Supporter
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spink, SD
Casino cash: $6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
And that's different from the Senate GOP's vow... how?
If you think they're the same why shouldn't the great uniter step back and wait to pass a bill that comes from the House? Win/win.
Posts: 25,090
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #51
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
If you think they're the same why shouldn't the great uniter step back and wait to pass a bill that comes from the House? Win/win.
Swing and a miss.

I'm not saying they're the same. I'm saying the bill, should it be voted on today, would easily earn at least 7% of the GOP's support.

It could be law right now. But it is not even going to see a vote.

That's a brain-inflamer. It's absolutely beyond me.

Edit: Who the hell is "the great uniter"?
__________________
Posts: 44,296
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #52
DaveNull DaveNull is online now
Veteran
 
DaveNull's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Villa Straylight
Casino cash: $5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
If you think they're the same why shouldn't the great uniter step back and wait to pass a bill that comes from the House? Win/win.
Like the house can do anything except pass flag burning, anti-abortion and obama care repeal bills.
Posts: 1,243
DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.DaveNull would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #53
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathol View Post


In other news, the title of your thread is misleading, as we all know that to be quite impossible.
You've lost me.
__________________
Posts: 44,296
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #54
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
You said that immigration reform is (potentially) the last chance for Republicans to avoid extinction. I said that there is no political reason for the GOP to want to pass it.
I'll give you one political reason for the GOP to pass it:

Ever since the GOP base shot down a similar piece of immigration reform back in the second term of Bush's presidency, the rhetoric concerning Hispanics and immigration has grown more abrasive every year, and the party's share of the Latino vote has dropped every year.

Peaking, of course, with Romney's self-deportation platform.

This is a platform that sounds pretty acceptable to the GOP base, and near-insanely-stupid to everybody else. Combine that with occasionally racist rhetoric coming from the GOP and the party once again shooting down legislation (by not even allowing a vote which would surely pass the bill) that sounds perfectly fine to everybody but the same GOP base...

Unless you run Rubio somewhere on your 2016 ticket to wipe your hands clean of this fiasco, you're looking at a Romney-esque performance among Hispanics once again.
__________________
Posts: 44,296
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #55
mlyonsd mlyonsd is offline
Supporter
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spink, SD
Casino cash: $6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Swing and a miss.

I'm not saying they're the same. I'm saying the bill, should it be voted on today, would easily earn at least 7% of the GOP's support.

It could be law right now. But it is not even going to see a vote.

That's a brain-inflamer. It's absolutely beyond me.

Edit: Who the hell is "the great uniter"?
Maybe your faux outrage would have more teeth if you would have shown this same deep concern and passion when in the past Reid refused to bring house bills up for a vote.

It will be interesting to see what happens if a house immigration bill makes it to the senate and isn't brought up for a vote. For some reason I have this weird feeling your brain will be under total climate control.
Posts: 25,090
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #56
mlyonsd mlyonsd is offline
Supporter
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spink, SD
Casino cash: $6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNull View Post
Like the house can do anything except pass flag burning, anti-abortion and obama care repeal bills.
Don't forget an actual budget.
Posts: 25,090
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #57
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $7772
mlyonsd,

Who the hell is "the great uniter"?
__________________
Posts: 44,296
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #58
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
Maybe your faux outrage would have more teeth if you would have shown this same deep concern and passion when in the past Reid refused to bring house bills up for a vote.

It will be interesting to see what happens if a house immigration bill makes it to the senate and isn't brought up for a vote. For some reason I have this weird feeling your brain will be under total climate control.
Do you find anything tragic in the fact that a bill that has total democratic support, from the people to both chambers of Congress, that will unquestionably help millions of people, is not going to get a pass because a minority that has gerrymandered itself into power won't allow a vote on it?
__________________
Posts: 44,296
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #59
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The Bitch is back
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $10014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
I'll give you one political reason for the GOP to pass it:

Ever since the GOP base shot down a similar piece of immigration reform back in the second term of Bush's presidency, the rhetoric concerning Hispanics and immigration has grown more abrasive every year, and the party's share of the Latino vote has dropped every year.

Peaking, of course, with Romney's self-deportation platform.

This is a platform that sounds pretty acceptable to the GOP base, and near-insanely-stupid to everybody else. Combine that with occasionally racist rhetoric coming from the GOP and the party once again shooting down legislation (by not even allowing a vote which would surely pass the bill) that sounds perfectly fine to everybody but the same GOP base...

Unless you run Rubio somewhere on your 2016 ticket to wipe your hands clean of this fiasco, you're looking at a Romney-esque performance among Hispanics once again.

We've been through this before: Romney got 27% of Latinos and Juan McAmnesty got 29% of them 4 years earlier vs Obama. One was against amnesty, one was for it. And it made exactly ZERO difference in their Latino share.


George Bush Sr. got 30% of Latinos in 1988 two years after Reagan's huge amnesty. What good did the amnesty do the GOP? None. Until you can explain these data points, your point is easily disproven.
Posts: 13,874
Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.Prison Bitch is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #60
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
We've been through this before: Romney got 27% of Latinos and Juan McAmnesty got 29% of them 4 years earlier vs Obama. One was against amnesty, one was for it. And it made exactly ZERO difference in their Latino share.
Any idea why that is?

Might have anything to do with the insane rhetoric and obstructive behavior of the GOP when Bush/McCain pushed for the same kind of reform back in 2006?

Or did Hispanics, who voted almost 50% for George W. Bush in 2004 partially because of his platform on immigration, decide that McCain, who was Congress' chief political force for reasonable immigration reform in 2006, was suddenly anti-Hispanic?
__________________
Posts: 44,296
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.