Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM  
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $22843
Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, study finds

Religious people are less intelligent than atheists, study finds

Rob Waugh 3 hours ago Yahoo! News

Religious people are less intelligent than non-believers, according to a new review of 63 scientific studies stretching back over decades.

A team led by Miron Zuckerman of the University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 studies

Even in extreme old age, intelligent people are less likely to believe, the researchers found - and the reasons why people with high IQs shun religion may not be as simple as previously thought.

Previous studies have tended to assume that intelligent people simply “know better”, the researchers write - but the reasons may be more complex.

For instance, intelligent people are more likely to be married, and more likely to be successful in life - and this may mean they “need” religion less.

The studies used in Zuckerman's paper included a life-long analysis of the beliefs of a group of 1,500 gifted children - those with IQs over 135 - in a study which began in 1921 and continues today.

Even at 75 to 91 years of age, the children from Lewis Terman’s study scored lower for religiosity than the general population - contrary to the widely held belief that people turn to God as they age. The researchers noted that data was lacking about religious attitudes in old age and say, “Additional research is needed to resolve this issue.”

As early as 1958, Michael Argyle concluded, “Although intelligent children grasp religious concepts earlier, they are also the first to doubt the truth of religion, and intelligent students are much less likely to accept orthodox beliefs, and rather less likely to have pro-religious attitudes.”

A 1916 study quoted in Zuckerman’s paper (Leuba) found that, “58% of randomly selected scientists in the United States expressed disbelief in, or doubt regarding the existence of God; this proportion rose to nearly 70% for the most eminent scientists.”

The paper, published in the academic journal Personality and Social Psychology Review, said “Most extant explanations (of a negative relation) share one central theme—the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who “know better.”

The answer may, however, be more complex. Intelligent people may simply be able to provide themselves with the psychological benefits offered by religion - such as “self-regulation and self-enhancement”, because they are more likely to be successful, and have stable lives.

“Intelligent people typically spend more time in school—a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits,” the researchers write. “More intelligent people get higher level jobs (and better employment (and higher salary) may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs.”

“Last, more intelligent people are more likely to get and stay married (greater attachment), though for intelligent people, that too comes later in life. We therefore suggest that as intelligent people move from young adulthood to adulthood and then to middle age, the benefits of intelligence may continue to accrue.”

The researchers suggest that further research on the “function” of religion may reveal more.

“People possessing the functions that religion provides are likely to adopt atheism, people lacking these very functions (e.g., the poor, the helpless) are likely to adopt theism,” the researchers wrote.
Posts: 20,581
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #121
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $22843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnmower View Post
You are exhibit A for this study. Most of the 'believers' on here at least seem like decent people for the most part. You just seem like a unstable shit bag. I really don't get your gutless neg rep comments--say it here where everyone can see what a freaking loon you are. Either start taking some meds or cut back on them--you are a psycho nutcase.
Posts: 20,581
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #122
ClevelandBronco ClevelandBronco is offline
Banned
 
ClevelandBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Casino cash: $10135
I enjoy intelligent, reasonably fit, emotionally sound, spiritually uplifting people. The more, the better.
Posts: 20,624
ClevelandBronco has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #123
Brock Brock is offline
Do it.
 
Brock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Larryville
Casino cash: $6627
Be happy to live in miserable poverty! Your reward awaits you after you starve to death!
Posts: 42,955
Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.Brock is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #124
Count Alex's Losses Count Alex's Losses is online now
Banned
 
Count Alex's Losses's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Casino cash: $40443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco View Post
I enjoy intelligent, reasonably fit, emotionally sound, spiritually uplifting people. The more, the better.
If you're an anti-social person like I am, you can see why religion might be useless.
__________________
Better to be the bastard child of a king and his whore than to be a ****ing peasant at the shite homer trough.
Posts: 172,347
Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Alex's Losses is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #125
ClevelandBronco ClevelandBronco is offline
Banned
 
ClevelandBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Casino cash: $10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) View Post
If you're an anti-social person like I am, you can see why religion might be useless.
Religion and/or faith and/or/spirituality is not for everyone. As long as you know how to give and receive love and forgiveness, IMHO there's no reason to feel like you have to give it a name.
Posts: 20,624
ClevelandBronco has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #126
go bowe go bowe is offline
bye bye bo...
 
go bowe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: independence
Casino cash: $10012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post
You are exhibit A for this study. Most of the 'believers' on here at least seem like decent people for the most part. You just seem like a unstable shit bag. I really don't get your gutless neg rep comments--say it here where everyone can see what a freaking loon you are. Either start taking some meds or cut back on them--you are a psycho nutcase.
i see you've met my buddy pawn...

hellava guy...
Posts: 30,462
go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.go bowe has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #127
Pawnmower Pawnmower is online now
MVP
 
Pawnmower's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern California
Casino cash: $29177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post
You are exhibit A for this study. Most of the 'believers' on here at least seem like decent people for the most part. You just seem like a unstable shit bag. I really don't get your gutless neg rep comments--say it here where everyone can see what a freaking loon you are. Either start taking some meds or cut back on them--you are a psycho nutcase.
LOL

Yes I am a nutcase for using a feature of this website. Ive told you 'to your face' plenty you are a douche.

I am not hiding that fact.

DOes that make me a loon I neg repped you? You have negged me PLENTY...so I guess youre a loon as well? RIGHT?

Thats why youre a douche....you are a total hypocrite.....and crybaby..

wahhhhh

Proof Positive COsmo is a total hypocrite douche, crying about rep while dishing it out himself:


__________________
-------------------
(Your company name here)

Last edited by Pawnmower; 08-12-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Posts: 17,197
Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #128
Pawnmower Pawnmower is online now
MVP
 
Pawnmower's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern California
Casino cash: $29177
Quote:
Originally Posted by go bowe View Post

hellava guy...
I'm am really not surprised you and cosmo are tight

At least cosmo can form a complete sentence....and has some sort of (albeit delusional) frame of reference....

You're pretty much just a drooling idiot.
__________________
-------------------
(Your company name here)
Posts: 17,197
Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #129
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $22843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnmower View Post

Proof Positive COsmo is a total hypocrite douche, crying about rep while dishing it out himself:
And every single one was a response to one you left me, and I didn't even respond to most of yours. And the Jesus reference was directly related to the thread and other messages you left me.

Last edited by cosmo20002; 08-12-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Posts: 20,581
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #130
Pawnmower Pawnmower is online now
MVP
 
Pawnmower's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northern California
Casino cash: $29177
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post
And every single one was a response to one you left me, and I didn't even respond to most of yours. And the Jesus reference was directly related to the post/message you left me.
The same "logic" that you're OK with calling people 'loons' for negging others while negging just as many times yourself is the reason why your brain allows you to think that you are superior and smarter than others based on whether or not they believe in a God.

If responding with a neg is "loony" and I am "psycho" for responding to you with a neg what does that make YOU for responding to me with a neg AND saying people who neg others are psycho and loony?

I'll give you a hint...it doesn't really make you look very sane or smart.

I negged you because you were not taking responsibility for this abomination of a thread. (Blame everyone else for this shitty thread!) I _DID_ respond to the post I negged in this thread....AND I negged you for it.

You are a dishonest , hypocritical piece of shit. You act like I said one thing in the thread and then did some 'hidden' neg. Bullshit.

I'm not one to hide my feelings on things....you're 100% way off base.
__________________
-------------------
(Your company name here)
Posts: 17,197
Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pawnmower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #131
cosmo20002 cosmo20002 is offline
Debunking your bullshit
 
cosmo20002's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: KC area
Casino cash: $22843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnmower View Post
The same "logic" that you're OK with calling people 'loons' for negging others while negging just as many times yourself is the reason why your brain allows you to think that you are superior and smarter than others based on whether or not they believe in a God.

If responding with a neg is "loony" and I am "psycho" for responding to you with a neg what does that make YOU for responding to me with a neg AND saying people who neg others are psycho and loony?

I'll give you a hint...it doesn't really make you look very sane or smart.

I negged you because you were not taking responsibility for this abomination of a thread. (Blame everyone else for this shitty thread!) I _DID_ respond to the post I negged in this thread....AND I negged you for it.

You are a dishonest , hypocritical piece of shit. You act like I said one thing in the thread and then did some 'hidden' neg. Bullshit.

I'm not one to hide my feelings on things....you're 100% way off base.
The obsessive repping just kind of makes you a dick. It is what you say in most of them, and how you blow a gasket over nothing, that makes you a loon.

And I haven't negged you "just as many times." Since you seem interested, the stats show 25 from you, 12 to you. I don't think I've ever given a neg to anyone that wasn't a response to one given to me first.
Posts: 20,581
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 AM
Mr. Kotter
This message has been deleted by Mr. Kotter. Reason: Reason: Ah....nevermind Gerry....heh. SNAPP!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #132
mr. tegu mr. tegu is offline
Hopeful for playoffs
 
mr. tegu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Casino cash: $11698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawnmower View Post
I'm am really not surprised you and cosmo are tight

At least cosmo can form a complete sentence....and has some sort of (albeit delusional) frame of reference....

You're pretty much just a drooling idiot.
You are such a dysfunctional loser.

You neg rep me for pointing out how much of a moron you are for saying that you care so much about KC Native. The funny part is you couldn't make that connection so it hurt your little feelings when it was pointed out. Just own it.
Posts: 9,599
mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.mr. tegu is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #133
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The bitch is BACK!
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $23672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lane View Post
From you, I might have to change my sig. Lots of Internet cred to that comment.
But you are a bigot. That fact you are, is pretty much by definition.
__________________
"NFL home field advantage isnt worth 3 points. It's worth about 1/2 a point." - Saul Good 10/30/13
Posts: 16,070
Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #134
Prison Bitch Prison Bitch is offline
The bitch is BACK!
 
Prison Bitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lees summit
Casino cash: $23672
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post
I don't recall the details of that, so I can't really comment. You do like to dredge up old stuff no one currently cares about though, don't you (What about Tawana Brawley!!!)

Front page story in the NY Post, Wash Times and Drudge. I believe you meant to say, a story you didn't care about. I'd buy that.


Quote:
I just don't think the comparison you are somewhat painfully trying to make is a good one. People don't get to choose their race/ethnicity. So if you want to argue some races/ethnicities inherently have lower IQs, go ahead and make it.

Religious beliefs, at least as adults, are chosen. This particular study, which is a study of other studies, concludes that religious people on the whole have lower IQs. Your posts appear to support the conclusion.

Like most liberals, you refuse to stand on the argument. You say IQ matters when you want to bash your out-groups, but when said arguments are used back at you (with equal if not way more support and academic evidence) and your sacred cows.......you cry "Foul!" and waste our time with idiotic reasons the situations must differ.


You're by far the most disengenuous poster on this board, and this thread is just the latest installment thereof.
__________________
"NFL home field advantage isnt worth 3 points. It's worth about 1/2 a point." - Saul Good 10/30/13
Posts: 16,070
Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Prison Bitch 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #135
KC native KC native is offline
a toda madre o un desmadre
 
KC native's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Casino cash: $17368
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazod View Post
You're like a pudgy little ****tarded ventriloquist dummy. I guess the "frazbob" is short for Buffalo Bob, and you're my angry Howdy Doody.

Or, I guess, that would be "Hola Pedro," si?
.
__________________
The diameter of your knowledge is the circumference of your actions. Ras Kass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I'm just a little pussy from Iowa
Posts: 18,906
KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.