Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 AM  
WhawhaWhat WhawhaWhat is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Casino cash: $25428
McDonald's helps workers get food stamps.

McDonald's helps workers get food stamps

Quote:
Nancy Salgado, who has worked at a Chicago McDonald's for 10 years and makes $8.25 an hour, asked the McResource representative a number of questions related to getting assistance to pay for her heating bill, her groceries and her sister's medical expenses. Salgado told the representative that she was recording the call for her sister.

The helpline operator never asked Salgado how much she made per hour, and how many hours per week she worked beyond the fact that she was a full-time employee. But she said that Salgado "definitely should be able to qualify for both food stamps and heating assistance."

The representative then pointed her toward a number of resources in Chicago, such as food pantries and a program that would help cover some of her heating bill. She said she would email her specific phone numbers and programs.

The operator also explained that the McResource line is available to help McDonald's workers who need help navigating the process of getting public assistance. The helpline's phone number is posted in fliers at many McDonald's locations.
Nice of McDonalds to help get its employees on the gov't teet.

Last edited by WhawhaWhat; 10-24-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Posts: 2,831
WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.WhawhaWhat would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #211
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $1122368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneiguana View Post
You are a riot.

Nothing represents freedom more than being able to use your first admendment right to freedom of assembly to gather and use your first admendment right to freedom of speech (to talk about working conditions) to group together and express a viewpoint as one.

We do it with politcal parties. We do it with homeowners associations. We do it with lobbiests. Ever segment of the population in some way has representation.

But if workers do it, that is somehow authoritarian?

You continue to prove you are a corporate fascist. If it at all takes away from corporate power or profits, you are against it.

You continue to prove that you lack the ability to comprehend what you read as well as the ability to hold anyone accountable for the choices that they make. If you are actually trying to understand what I'm saying then you need to go back and read it again.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 27,023
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #212
RNR RNR is offline
Standing for my beliefs~
 
RNR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Close to the big pond~
Casino cash: $31440
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
You continue to prove that you lack the ability to comprehend what you read as well as the ability to hold anyone accountable for the choices that they make. If you are actually trying to understand what I'm saying then you need to go back and read it again.
He will not listen he wants everyone to get a trophy. Effort and hard work mean nothing. Everyone deservse the same~
__________________

"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little"
George Carlin~
Posts: 23,553
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #213
listopencil listopencil is offline
sic semper tyrannis
 
listopencil's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In Partibus Infidelium
Casino cash: $1122368
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNR View Post
He will not listen he wants everyone to get a trophy. Effort and hard work mean nothing. Everyone deserves the same~
Yup, pretty much.
__________________
"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind I'd still be in prison."


Posts: 27,023
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #214
Mod98Ban Mod98Ban is offline
Starter
 
Mod98Ban's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Casino cash: $4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneiguana View Post
Learn to tell the difference between who authored a study and website that is hosting the study.

You can google her name, Sara Lemos. It brings up the study too. Hosted by all kinds of different websites.

Try it.
LoneInbred,

It's not my fault you failed to check where your source was from, and it turned out to be from a site run by a corrupt person. I guess you haven't heard what they say about lies, damned lies, and statistics, so I'll put it right under your nose. "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point. If you look long enough, you can find a study to bolster your point, but most are nothing but lies, and other BS. Get a clue, and figure out that raising the minimum wage IS NOT THE ANSWER. The majority of the problems with people not being able to pay their bills so that they can live, can be blamed on the LIBTARDS, and their policies. 17+ trillion in debt, unemployment is horrible, ObamaScare is a total joke, the health care system is a wreck, because of ObamaScare, and useful idiots like yourself running around parroting what you see, and hear from the very liberla media. All of this crap is just making things very hard for everyone, and you can't see what you stand for, is the problem. You are just like that idiot female liberal that was bitching, because her birth control was costing her $3,000 per year, and she couldn't wait for ObamaScare. Now she has ObamaScare, only to find out that her prescription drug coverage has a $5,000 yearly deductible. That's a perfect example of how bad liberal ideas are. Don't
Posts: 258
Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #215
Mod98Ban Mod98Ban is offline
Starter
 
Mod98Ban's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Casino cash: $4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNR View Post
He will not listen he wants everyone to get a trophy. Effort and hard work mean nothing. Everyone deservse the same~
He's "SPECIAL", as in Special Olympics.
Posts: 258
Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #216
Consistent1 Consistent1 is offline
_____________
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Casino cash: $7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
Yup, pretty much.
Some of his crap may be misguided, but his heart is in the right place IMO.

A lot of people will just burn the system though.
Posts: 3,096
Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Consistent1 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #217
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27251
Quote:
Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
You continue to prove that you lack the ability to comprehend what you read as well as the ability to hold anyone accountable for the choices that they make. If you are actually trying to understand what I'm saying then you need to go back and read it again.
You think allowing workers the first amendments rights of freedom of assemble and freedom of speech are authoritarian.

You think overcompensation is being able to afford food.

You are a corporate fascist.
__________________
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #218
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27251
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNR View Post
He will not listen he wants everyone to get a trophy. Effort and hard work mean nothing. Everyone deservse the same~
Yup, that's the argument.

Keep making things up guys, in only shows me you cannot refute what I say.
__________________
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #219
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod98Ban View Post
LoneInbred,

It's not my fault you failed to check where your source was from, and it turned out to be from a site run by a corrupt person. I guess you haven't heard what they say about lies, damned lies, and statistics, so I'll put it right under your nose. "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point. If you look long enough, you can find a study to bolster your point, but most are nothing but lies, and other BS. Get a clue, and figure out that raising the minimum wage IS NOT THE ANSWER. The majority of the problems with people not being able to pay their bills so that they can live, can be blamed on the LIBTARDS, and their policies. 17+ trillion in debt, unemployment is horrible, ObamaScare is a total joke, the health care system is a wreck, because of ObamaScare, and useful idiots like yourself running around parroting what you see, and hear from the very liberla media. All of this crap is just making things very hard for everyone, and you can't see what you stand for, is the problem. You are just like that idiot female liberal that was bitching, because her birth control was costing her $3,000 per year, and she couldn't wait for ObamaScare. Now she has ObamaScare, only to find out that her prescription drug coverage has a $5,000 yearly deductible. That's a perfect example of how bad liberal ideas are. Don't

Wow are you dense.

And you still cannot provide your own data.

Laughable.

Here, since you are too lazy to look up the actual author of the study, I did if for you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Sara+Lemos+The+...wage+on+Prices
__________________
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #220
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consistent1 View Post
Some of his crap may be misguided, but his heart is in the right place IMO.

A lot of people will just burn the system though.
If am so misguided, why can people only respond in strawman and insults, instead of providing their own data?
__________________
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #221
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27251
If you guys think I'm wrong, go ahead and start disproving.

I can't wait to see what strawm men you come up with this time.

The Job Loss Myth



Study: Why Does the Minimum Wage Have No Discernible Effect on Employment? (2013)

http://www.cepr.net/documents/public...ge-2013-02.pdf

Why Do Minimum Wage Increases Not Reduce Employment?

#1) The vast majority of low-wage workers are employed by large corporations, not small businesses:

http://nelp.3cdn.net/e555b2e361f8f734f4_sim6btdzo.pdf

#2) There are significant savings that result from paying higher wages – including reduced employee turnover and increased productivity – and these savings help offset the cost to employers of a minimum wage increase.

http://hbr.org/2012/01/why-good-jobs...retailers/ar/1

Quote:
Quote:
Costco CEO Craig Jelinek, March 2013: “We pay a starting hourly wage of $11.50 in all states where we do business, and we are still able to keep our overhead costs low. An important reason for the success of Costco’s business model is the attraction and retention of great employees. Instead of minimizing wages, we know it's a lot more profitable in the long term to minimize employee turnover and maximize employee productivity, commitment and loyalty. We support efforts to increase the federal minimum wage.
http://www.businessforafairminimumwa...mum-wage-act-i


#3) Raising the minimum wage boosts consumer spending, generating higher sales revenue for local businesses and promoting economic growth.


http://www.epi.org/files/2013/bp357-...e-increase.pdf

#4) Raising the minimum wage minimally affects prices.

Quote:
Quote:
Despite the different methodologies, data periods and data sources, most studies found that a 10% US minimum wage increase raises food prices by no more than 4% and overall prices by no
more than 0.4%. This is a small effect.

The overall reading of the above evidence on price effects, together with the evidence in the literature on wages and employment effects is that the minimum wage increases the wages of the poor, does not destroy too many jobs, and does not raise prices by too much.
http://ftp.iza.org/dp1072.pdf

http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...1/03010111.pdf

--

History of the Minimum Wage

The minimum wage, adjusted for inflation, has only decreased.



The minimum wage use to be something a family could live on. Now, the Minimum wage requires Government help, your tax dollars, to be able to survive:
Quote:
Quote:
Here again, when the minimum was higher in real terms, in the 1969-79 period, a full-time working parent of two would have earned enough to lift a family of that size above the poverty line. [b]Back in 1968, full-time work at the minimum wage put a family of this type about $1,300 (in 1999 dollars) above the poverty line. [/B]Today, that same family would be $2,700 below the line. As shown in Figure 4, once payroll taxes (FICA) are subtracted, and today’s EITC-which didn’t exist in the late 1960s-and the cash value of food stamps are both added, the family’s income gets boosted over the poverty line, in this case by about $2,400. So, relative to 30 years ago, the only way this family can now manage a higher-than-poverty-level income is with a substantial subsidy from taxpayers
http://www.epi.org/publication/brief...s_min_wage_bp/


Minimum Wage and other wages:

Because a person cannot survive on minimum wage without government assistance, our low minimum wage actually decreases the wages of middle class workers. This is because of mainly 2 things:

First, it increases the demand for middle class jobs because no one wants a job they cannot survive on. The increase in demand means your employer can pay you less because there is someone waiting for your job.

Second, the minimum wage is is the wage floor that other wages are based off of.

Conclusion

A minimum wage increase would benifit the workers, the economy, and the society as a whole.

It is time for the companies that make money off these workers to compensate them instead of relying on the government to compensate to make up the wage through welfare.

If a company cannot make a profit off of an employee by paying a living wage, that company is not sustainable and will require government assistance. In our case, the assistance is going to the worker.

Conservatives, you commie bastards, would rather the government pay employees than the companies that make the money off of them.

As History has shown, the mimimum wage use to be able to lift a family (not an individual) out of poverty.

We can't have the minimum wage do that again, because why?
__________________
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #222
Mod98Ban Mod98Ban is offline
Starter
 
Mod98Ban's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Casino cash: $4086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneiguana View Post
Wow are you dense.

And you still cannot provide your own data.

Laughable.

Here, since you are too lazy to look up the actual author of the study, I did if for you.
Who cares about your stupid study???? Hell, if I wanted to I could find 10 studies stating how stupid liberals are. After reading those studies, I could do my own study on how dense liberals are, just based on the idiot liberals on this message board alone. You are the dense one, because it's not hard to find a study to back up what you believe, the hard thing is getting anyone else to believe that study. Did you, or did you not post a study from a site run by a corrupt individual???? How stupid do you have to be, to not check your sources, before posting them???? You are a real dumb SOB, because I've already told you that I CANNOT POST LINKS TO ANYTHING ON HERE YET! I don't need some stupid study, or somebody else's data to back up what I'm saying. Only those with a weak argument use that tactic repeatedly, like you keep doing.

You seem dead set on raising the minimum wage, and it's a huge mistake, but you must have a good reason for doing it. Do you have several family members, or even yourself that are working for minimum wages, and can't afford a place to call your own? Or is this just some sympathy ploy, because you are trying to do something that makes you feel good, even if the results do more damage than good, just like the rest of the liberal shit programs, that are ruining this country. If you decide to argue that last point, all I have to do is point out how friggin bad ObamaScare is. I saw one fact about that the other day, and it stated that more people in 3 states had their insurance cancelled because of ObamaScare, than had signed up in all 50 states, or as your fearless leader thinks, 57 states. lmao

If I need anymore lip off of you, I'll get Cosmo to scrape it off of Obama's zipper, when it's his turn.
Posts: 258
Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.Mod98Ban is not part of the Right 53.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #223
blaise blaise is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Casino cash: $9749818
People have gone over this a thousand times with Loneigaua. He posts stuff saying minimum wage should be higher, fine. The problem is he thinks "higher" should be like $7 an hour higher. That Burger King employees should make $15 an hour. He uses a study saying minimum wage should generally be "higher" to prove his claim that it should be $15 an hour.
As far as I've seen none of his studies show what effect a $15 an hour minimum wage would have. Why? Because no one knows. He acts like a study showing it should be $11.50 an hour proves $15 an hour would be fine.

But then why not just make minimum wage $45 an hour if there's never any negative consequences? Why not $80 an hour or $150 an hour? And he calls that a strawman. It's not. What it is is a flaw in his argument.
Burger King has no obligation to keep people off the dole.
Someone working at Burger King and being on the dole doesn't prove that they deserve more. Loneiguana thinks the fact that someone working at Taco Bell collects welfare proves that Taco Bell underpays, and should provide enough salary to keep that person off welfare.
Someone could have 4 kids and one job at Burger King or Taco Bell and collect food stamps. That person's poor choices aren't Burger King's fault.


The bottom line is that Loneigauana would never be satisfied with the wages paid by Burger King. Why? Because no matter what you paid them, some of them would still be on welfare. And as long as they were Loneigauna would keep acting like Burger King or Taco Bell has a greater obligation to take care of the poor than he does.
Posts: 19,455
blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.blaise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #224
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod98Ban View Post
Who cares about your stupid study???? Hell, if I wanted to I could find 10 studies stating how stupid liberals are. After reading those studies, I could do my own study on how dense liberals are, just based on the idiot liberals on this message board alone. You are the dense one, because it's not hard to find a study to back up what you believe, the hard thing is getting anyone else to believe that study. Did you, or did you not post a study from a site run by a corrupt individual???? How stupid do you have to be, to not check your sources, before posting them???? You are a real dumb SOB, because I've already told you that I CANNOT POST LINKS TO ANYTHING ON HERE YET! I don't need some stupid study, or somebody else's data to back up what I'm saying. Only those with a weak argument use that tactic repeatedly, like you keep doing.

You seem dead set on raising the minimum wage, and it's a huge mistake, but you must have a good reason for doing it. Do you have several family members, or even yourself that are working for minimum wages, and can't afford a place to call your own? Or is this just some sympathy ploy, because you are trying to do something that makes you feel good, even if the results do more damage than good, just like the rest of the liberal shit programs, that are ruining this country. If you decide to argue that last point, all I have to do is point out how friggin bad ObamaScare is. I saw one fact about that the other day, and it stated that more people in 3 states had their insurance cancelled because of ObamaScare, than had signed up in all 50 states, or as your fearless leader thinks, 57 states. lmao

If I need anymore lip off of you, I'll get Cosmo to scrape it off of Obama's zipper, when it's his turn.
No, I didn't. I posted a study authored by Sara Lemos.
Here is another website that hosts it:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=524803

And another

http://ideas.repec.org/p/lec/leecon/06-9.html

You failure to understand basic facts is sad.

I guess that is why you don't look at data though.
__________________
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock

Last edited by Loneiguana; 10-26-2013 at 12:19 PM..
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #225
Loneiguana Loneiguana is offline
Veteran
 
Loneiguana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Springfield
Casino cash: $27251
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaise View Post
People have gone over this a thousand times with Loneigaua. He posts stuff saying minimum wage should be higher, fine. The problem is he thinks "higher" should be like $7 an hour higher. That Burger King employees should make $15 an hour. He uses a study saying minimum wage should generally be "higher" to prove his claim that it should be $15 an hour.
As far as I've seen none of his studies show what effect a $15 an hour minimum wage would have. Why? Because no one knows. He acts like a study showing it should be $11.50 an hour proves $15 an hour would be fine.

But then why not just make minimum wage $45 an hour if there's never any negative consequences? Why not $80 an hour or $150 an hour? And he calls that a strawman. It's not. What it is is a flaw in his argument.
Burger King has no obligation to keep people off the dole.
Someone working at Burger King and being on the dole doesn't prove that they deserve more. Loneiguana thinks the fact that someone working at Taco Bell collects welfare proves that Taco Bell underpays, and should provide enough salary to keep that person off welfare.
Someone could have 4 kids and one job at Burger King or Taco Bell and collect food stamps. That person's poor choices aren't Burger King's fault.


The bottom line is that Loneigauana would never be satisfied with the wages paid by Burger King. Why? Because no matter what you paid them, some of them would still be on welfare. And as long as they were Loneigauna would keep acting like Burger King or Taco Bell has a greater obligation to take care of the poor than he does.
It is a strawman because all anyone is asking for is that the minimum wage, working full time, earn you a wage that allows you and your family to live outside of poverty and off government money.

Why is being able to afford food a bad thing? Historically it has been done before. Unless, again, you can disprove this:

Quote:
Figure 3 shows the income of a full-time, year-round minimum wage worker relative to the poverty line for a one-parent family with two children ($13,423 in 1999). Here again, when the minimum was higher in real terms, in the 1969-79 period, a full-time working parent of two would have earned enough to lift a family of that size above the poverty line. Back in 1968, full-time work at the minimum wage put a family of this type about $1,300 (in 1999 dollars) above the poverty line. Today, that same family would be $2,700 below the line. As shown in Figure 4, once payroll taxes (FICA) are subtracted, and today’s EITC-which didn’t exist in the late 1960s-and the cash value of food stamps are both added, the family’s income gets boosted over the poverty line, in this case by about $2,400. So, relative to 30 years ago, the only way this family can now manage a higher-than-poverty-level income
is with a substantial subsidy from taxpayers
http://www.epi.org/publication/brief...s_min_wage_bp/

Why should the government have to provide for people who work full time? Why shouldn't the minimum wage keep pace with inflation? Why shouldn't 40 hours a week qualify you too live outside of poverty?


So, yes, you are using a strawman fallacy, not an actual argument. Congratulations, you keep using a fallacy every comp/Rhetoric 101 student since Aristotle has been taught not to make.
__________________
"Most of us can, as we choose, make of this world either a palace or a prison."
–John Lubbock
Posts: 2,912
Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.Loneiguana would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.