Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 10:04 AM  
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $15274
Question.

I had a very interesting discussion last night based off what the Pope said in his new paper, and I want to pose a hypothetical:

If you could end poverty in America right now for every single person in our country, with the push of a button, by capping the most a person could make at $100 million, would you do it?

I haven't done the math on that, but assume for the sake of the exercise that the math would work.

Also for the purposes of this exercise, assume this is feasible to accomplish. It's a magic button. I know the popular rebuttal will be "if we did that, billionaires would go elsewhere" -- however ask yourself if would you push the button if you were guaranteed that they wouldn't?

Why, or why not?
Posts: 45,502
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $15274
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
I see what agenda you are trying to push as this concept is not new. It does not work. There are those who truly struggle, and for them we should try to help, but to think every poor person is poor because of crap luck is garbage at best. Some folks are poor because they do not want to work. How does elevating them out of poverty benefit society when they still produce nothing nor so they have the desire to.
Do you believe that poverty must remain, in order to scare people into working?
__________________
Posts: 45,502
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $15274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Card native View Post
Earnings caps are a bad idea IMO. A sensible tax policy would go a lot further without creating massive incentives to cheat the system.
I understand the "cheat the system" excuse. The OP talking about a magic button that would defeat any all attempts to cheat the system.

Answer the question.
__________________
Posts: 45,502
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #18
tredadda tredadda is offline
Moustakas FTW
 
tredadda's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Casino cash: $6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Card native View Post
Some poor people aren't poor because of a lack of drive to succeed. Many never have the opportunity to succeed.

It's easy to blame poor people for being poor because they're lazy but that's not the reality of poverty in the US.
FYP. Oh and I don't blame all poor people for being poor. I do realize that some is a result of crap luck or situations and for them I would help as I have already stated, but to reward those with little to no desire to succeed off the backs of successful people is crap.
__________________
Posts: 4,229
tredadda has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
tredadda tredadda is offline
Moustakas FTW
 
tredadda's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Casino cash: $6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Do you believe that poverty must remain, in order to scare people into working?
Nope. But do you honestly believe that taking from those who produce and giving it to those who don't will truly eliminate poverty? It is like the poor person who wins the lottery, lives the high life, blows through all the winnings and ends up poor and broke again. Giving a lot of money will not end poverty, as inevitably those who don't produce will blow through what they have and end up as poor as before this all started.
__________________
Posts: 4,229
tredadda has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Baby Lee Baby Lee is offline
Cake Boss!!
 
Baby Lee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 456 Lick My Butthole Lane
Casino cash: $17326
That magic button buys us, what? A month free of poverty, a week? 6 months?

What price the abolition of reward for achievement?
__________________
SNL Standards and Practices - "you can't say 'midget,' It's just like saying the N-word.'

John Mulaney - "No it isn't, because you JUST SAID midget."
Posts: 43,505
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
KC native KC native is offline
a toda madre o un desmadre
 
KC native's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Casino cash: $11903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
I understand the "cheat the system" excuse. The OP talking about a magic button that would defeat any all attempts to cheat the system.

Answer the question.
Earnings caps are a terrible idea.

I'm much more of a pragmatist when it comes to these things. Earnings caps just introduce a whole host of other problems. A sensible tax policy could accomplish the same things if we, as a country, could get past the "DON'T GIVE THOSE POOR PEOPLE MONEY. THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO WORK FOR IT OR STEAL MY SHIT TO SURVIVE."
__________________
The diameter of your knowledge is the circumference of your actions. Ras Kass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I'm just a little pussy from Iowa
Posts: 18,124
KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
KC native KC native is offline
a toda madre o un desmadre
 
KC native's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Casino cash: $11903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
FYP. Oh and I don't blame all poor people for being poor. I do realize that some is a result of crap luck or situations and for them I would help as I have already stated, but to reward those with little to no desire to succeed off the backs of successful people is crap.
Yes, it's better that they steal shit to survive.

It's easier and safer to a society to just placate them with minimal shelter and food rather than what we do currently.
__________________
The diameter of your knowledge is the circumference of your actions. Ras Kass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I'm just a little pussy from Iowa
Posts: 18,124
KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
loochy loochy is online now
That's what she said.
 
loochy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TECKSIS
Casino cash: $10982
well if i can never be poor then i just quit work and eat cheetos all day because who cares? i can't be poor!
__________________
Please note that any racist, sexist, or otherwise outrageous opinions expressed in this post have been made for comedic or trolling purposes only and are not the actual opinions of loochy or any affiliated entities. Reader discretion is advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut View Post
yeah i may be a retard but I'll be the one banging your girlfriend when you're out with your friends.
Posts: 18,897
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #24
tredadda tredadda is offline
Moustakas FTW
 
tredadda's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Casino cash: $6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Card native View Post
Yes, it's better that they steal shit to survive.

It's easier and safer to a society to just placate them with minimal shelter and food rather than what we do currently.
They already have that in the form of low income housing and welfare. Not sure why we need to do more.
__________________
Posts: 4,229
tredadda has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
loochy loochy is online now
That's what she said.
 
loochy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TECKSIS
Casino cash: $10982
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
They already have that in the form of low income housing and welfare. Not sure why we need to do more.
THATS NOT ENOUGH FREE STUFF

THEY NEED FREE NINTENDO DS AND UVERSE U300 WITH STARZ PACKAGE AND 18MBPS INTERWEB
__________________
Please note that any racist, sexist, or otherwise outrageous opinions expressed in this post have been made for comedic or trolling purposes only and are not the actual opinions of loochy or any affiliated entities. Reader discretion is advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut View Post
yeah i may be a retard but I'll be the one banging your girlfriend when you're out with your friends.
Posts: 18,897
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #26
KC native KC native is offline
a toda madre o un desmadre
 
KC native's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Casino cash: $11903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
They already have that in the form of low income housing and welfare. Not sure why we need to do more.
There are huge gaps in our safety net. The drug war has disqualified many people (who need the programs the most) from those programs.
__________________
The diameter of your knowledge is the circumference of your actions. Ras Kass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I'm just a little pussy from Iowa
Posts: 18,124
KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
tredadda tredadda is offline
Moustakas FTW
 
tredadda's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Casino cash: $6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Card native View Post
There are huge gaps in our safety net. The drug war has disqualified many people (who need the programs the most) from those programs.
In what way? I honestly do not know so please explain.
__________________
Posts: 4,229
tredadda has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
KC native KC native is offline
a toda madre o un desmadre
 
KC native's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Casino cash: $11903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
In what way? I honestly do not know so please explain.
Drug convictions (where the poor are disproportionately represented) disqualify you from food stamps, TANF, and housing.
__________________
The diameter of your knowledge is the circumference of your actions. Ras Kass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I'm just a little pussy from Iowa
Posts: 18,124
KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.KC native is too fat/Omaha.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
tredadda tredadda is offline
Moustakas FTW
 
tredadda's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Casino cash: $6759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Card native View Post
Drug convictions (where the poor are disproportionately represented) disqualify you from food stamps, TANF, and housing.
Oh ok. What is your solution besides the one offered in the OP?
__________________
Posts: 4,229
tredadda has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Direckshun Direckshun is offline
Black for Palestine
 
Direckshun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Springpatch
Casino cash: $15274
Quote:
Originally Posted by tredadda View Post
Nope. But do you honestly believe that taking from those who produce and giving it to those who don't will truly eliminate poverty? It is like the poor person who wins the lottery, lives the high life, blows through all the winnings and ends up poor and broke again. Giving a lot of money will not end poverty, as inevitably those who don't produce will blow through what they have and end up as poor as before this all started.
You are all over the place. You have now argued:

(a.) If we elevate folks out of poverty, people will not feel the need to work and contribute to society.

and

(b.) People do not need poverty in order to feel the need to work and contribute to society.

You have argued both things with me in this very thread, have you not?
__________________
Posts: 45,502
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:10 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.