My blood was boiling the first time the Chiefs lost to the Broncos. Strangely, in the second loss, I was upset, but not angry after this loss. But losing might actually be a really good thing, if you look at it from the right perspective. Priority #1 is to obviously beat Washington, snap the streak, and clinch. But we have some luxuries now that we may not have had if we had won:
The Chiefs shouldn't just concede the division, but they can certainly play with less of a "win or die" mentality knowing they're probably going to end up a 5 seed:
- Our starters need to take some plays off. Our defense is gassed. Cut snaps for Poe, Jackson, and Devito. Cut workload for Charles. Do whatever it takes to get Hali and Houston at 100%
- Fasano is struggling to stay on the field, and the Chiefs need a guy like him. Sign Tony Scheffler tomorrow (cut Chad Hall. Because what the **** is his role?)
- Develop the shit out of our young guys. Stick with Fisher. Keep sending Cooper out, and let him play man-to-man. Repeatedly. Give Knile more carries. Our best opportunity to improve between now and the playoffs is for our young guys to get better.
- Shake up our receivers and secondary. Get Avery and Lewis out of the starting lineup. Give Jenkins a shot over Avery. Start Abdullah over Lewis -- Abdullah hasn't been good, but 4 games might be enough to make him better. Consider Dunta Robinson either at Free Safety or to replace Demps in Dime.
- Give Alex Smith an interception hall pass -- Don't for a second let Smith revert back to safe habits. Reward him for attacking and being aggressive as he has the last 2 games
- Even though Akeem Jordan has played fine, give Nico Johnson some reps. See what he's got. He might add some much needed speed
- By the way... Dexter's punt **** up was inexcusable. But I'm glad to see he's developing into a pretty damn good clutch receiver