Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Royal Lounge

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 PM  
penguinz penguinz is online now
MVP
 
penguinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Casino cash: $38240
*.* 2014 General Fitness Thread *.*

Welcome to 2014! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

No one else started it so here it is!

**From the 2013 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.
Posts: 7,474
penguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenguinz 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
 
Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #1936
Aspengc8 Aspengc8 is online now
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Casino cash: $6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
The Vit K2 they claim is so critical in grassfed butter is readily available in egg yokes, cheese, chicken breast, and ground beef and pretty much everything you are already eating.

In other words there are no health benefits over traditional butter and it cost more $.

If it makes you feel better, by all means buy it.
I'm not talking about 'only' butter, but more importantly grass fed beef, which has been proven over and over to be more nutrient dense as well as having almost 5x the omega 3's. I dont really care for the butter, but I do buy the beef as it makes up 65% of my protein intake.
Posts: 1,023
Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Aspengc8 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #1937
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8305
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChief View Post
I think he's pointing out that if the whole premise is to recapture our paleo-heritage and eat like our ancestors, then justifying eating crap like butter is weak/lame.

You're either eating like our ancestors, or you're not. If you're not, then stop trying to sell the whole paleo ancestral heritage mantra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
He's probably talking about many of the "paleo dieters" that talk paleo but make more than a handful of exceptions all the time in their diet.
Nail heads have met their hammers.

But more generally, it's impossible to "eat paleo" because everything we eat now is different than it was a million years ago. We've bred cows differently. Our vegetables are DRASTICALLY different. And then on top of it, most paleo dieters make exceptions. It's irritating when someone says "I'm eating paleo, except on the weekends when I'll eat some cake." Well, you aren't ****ing eating Paleo, are you? You should eat food because you like it and because it does something good for you, which, granted, a lot of Paleo food does. But a lot of non-Paleo food is just fine, too. I actually eat mostly Paleo, but it's because they are foods I enjoy and those foods are good for me. But I don't say "I'm eating Paleo." I eat a lot of non-Paleo shit. That doesn't mean it's bad. /end rant
Posts: 17,437
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #1938
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspengc8 View Post
I'm not talking about 'only' butter, but more importantly grass fed beef, which has been proven over and over to be more nutrient dense as well as having almost 5x the omega 3's. I dont really care for the butter, but I do buy the beef as it makes up 65% of my protein intake.
Personally, I can't justify the extra expense for grass fed beef. It's much more economical to buy regular beef and then take omega 3 supplements, or get it from other sources.
Posts: 17,437
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #1939
luv luv is offline
Can you feel?
 
luv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Springfield, MO
Casino cash: $7280
As long as I'm getting the nutrients I need, I don't care what the animal I'm eating ate, as long as it doesn't make me sick. I'm not paying more just because my cow ate grass.
__________________
It's never too late to become the person you were meant to be.
Posts: 59,770
luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #1940
jiveturkey jiveturkey is offline
Captain Kick Ass
 
jiveturkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kansas
Casino cash: $6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
As long as I'm getting the nutrients I need, I don't care what the animal I'm eating ate, as long as it doesn't make me sick. I'm not paying more just because my cow ate grass.
I don't know a single person who eat grasses fed beef just because it eats grass.

For me it's the nutrients...

2-5x more omega 3's and I try to maximize my O3 intake.
Stearic acid
2-3x more Conjugated linoleic acid
Along with higher levels of vitamins and minerals

Costs can be lowered by going direct to a rancher and buying a quarter or even half a cow at a time. The other down side is flavor, it doesn't taste as good and it's lower fat content can make it difficult to cook with.

But if flavor is the only deciding factor then why wouldn't everyday be tacos and cake.
Posts: 5,487
jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #1941
luv luv is offline
Can you feel?
 
luv's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Springfield, MO
Casino cash: $7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveturkey View Post
I don't know a single person who eat grasses fed beef just because it eats grass.

For me it's the nutrients...

2-5x more omega 3's and I try to maximize my O3 intake.
Stearic acid
2-3x more Conjugated linoleic acid
Along with higher levels of vitamins and minerals

Costs can be lowered by going direct to a rancher and buying a quarter or even half a cow at a time. The other down side is flavor, it doesn't taste as good and it's lower fat content can make it difficult to cook with.

But if flavor is the only deciding factor then why wouldn't everyday be tacos and cake.
I'm a poor white girl. If I can get the nutrients I need for a lower price, I'm paying the lower price.
__________________
It's never too late to become the person you were meant to be.
Posts: 59,770
luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.luv is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #1942
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveturkey View Post
I don't know a single person who eat grasses fed beef just because it eats grass.

For me it's the nutrients...

2-5x more omega 3's and I try to maximize my O3 intake.
Stearic acid
2-3x more Conjugated linoleic acid
Along with higher levels of vitamins and minerals
All of this is certainly true, but you're multiplying very small amounts. So yeah, it's 5x as much Omega 3, but the overall amount is very small. Same with the vitamins and minerals. It's like 5% more.

Is it better? Absolutely. Is it something that one must break the bank on? Not really. The difference is easily made up for far less than the price difference between grass finished and grain finished.
Posts: 17,437
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #1943
lewdog lewdog is offline
KC Chiefs....so much lol
 
lewdog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Valley of the hot as ****
Casino cash: $19419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
All of this is certainly true, but you're multiplying very small amounts. So yeah, it's 5x as much Omega 3, but the overall amount is very small. Same with the vitamins and minerals. It's like 5% more.
I've noticed the "multiplying" place of marketing lately. Let's say a product has 5mg of Omega 3. Another product claims to have 5x this value, which is a whopping 25mgs. Is it 5x more? Sure is. Does it come close to the amount of Omega 3 you want, nope. But you just spent $1-2 more per pound for it (you got took!). Good selling scheme because many people are unaware of values.
__________________




Quote:
Lewdog's record in Royals game threads: 11-9.
Posts: 15,036
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #1944
jiveturkey jiveturkey is offline
Captain Kick Ass
 
jiveturkey's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kansas
Casino cash: $6642
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I've noticed the "multiplying" place of marketing lately. Let's say a product has 5mg of Omega 3. Another product claims to have 5x this value, which is a whopping 25mgs. Is it 5x more? Sure is. Does it come close to the amount of Omega 3 you want, nope. But you just spent $1-2 more per pound for it (you got took!). Good selling scheme because many people are unaware of values.
The goal is to balance out O3 and O6 in an effort to control systematic inflammation. The total mgs are almost irrelevant. "Multiplication" marketing is also irrelevant in this case due to a grain fed serving coming with a much worse starting O3/O6 balance.

Like everything else it's a choice. Similar to buying farm raised salmon over wild caught. There is certainly a difference between the two choices.
Posts: 5,487
jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.jiveturkey would the whole thing.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #1945
Omaha Omaha is online now
Badass!
 
Omaha's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Casino cash: $7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChief View Post
I think he's pointing out that if the whole premise is to recapture our paleo-heritage and eat like our ancestors, then justifying eating crap like butter is weak/lame.

You're either eating like our ancestors, or you're not. If you're not, then stop trying to sell the whole paleo ancestral heritage mantra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChief View Post
As for paleo (and I eat paleo somewhat), it's pseudoscientific bullshit with a great marketing narrative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
He's probably talking about many of the "paleo dieters" that talk paleo but make more than a handful of exceptions all the time in their diet.
Paleo is very similar to the way I eat, but I really don't care about all of the caveman crap. I also don't care about the name paleo. I avoid dairy because it makes me break out. I try to avoid bread and pasta because they make me very bloaty. One or both of those things also exacerbates my allergies, too. I eat beans and peanuts, though, because I like them and they don't seem to bother me at all.

I get that it's super cool to bag on whatever is popular, but I cant think of a lot of bad things to say about eating fruits, veggies, nuts, unprocessed meats, etc. It's all good stuff. I don't eat paleo, but I have several paleo recipe books because everything in there is in line with the way I eat.
Posts: 6,108
Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #1946
Omaha Omaha is online now
Badass!
 
Omaha's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Casino cash: $7048
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv View Post
As long as I'm getting the nutrients I need, I don't care what the animal I'm eating ate, as long as it doesn't make me sick. I'm not paying more just because my cow ate grass.
I do care what the animal ate, although it can be tough to know. I try to avoid meat full of hormones and drugs as best I can.
Posts: 6,108
Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.Omaha wants to die in a aids tree fire.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #1947
NewChief NewChief is offline
Greenbacker and Loving Liberal
 
NewChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Casino cash: $7277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha View Post
Paleo is very similar to the way I eat, but I really don't care about all of the caveman crap. I also don't care about the name paleo. I avoid dairy because it makes me break out. I try to avoid bread and pasta because they make me very bloaty. One or both of those things also exacerbates my allergies, too. I eat beans and peanuts, though, because I like them and they don't seem to bother me at all.

I get that it's super cool to bag on whatever is popular, but I cant think of a lot of bad things to say about eating fruits, veggies, nuts, unprocessed meats, etc. It's all good stuff. I don't eat paleo, but I have several paleo recipe books because everything in there is in line with the way I eat.
I think most of us likely eat pretty "Paleo," and I think that's the beef (haha) with it. The need to repackage everything in some trendy, cool narrative full of truthiness is what sticks in my craw. Though it doesn't really irritate me, as I'm pretty fascinated by successful marketing narratives, so I respect the stickiness of the Paleo concept from that standpoint.
__________________
In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.
- H. L. Mencken
Posts: 19,260
NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #1948
Silock Silock is online now
MVP
 
Silock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $8305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveturkey View Post
The goal is to balance out O3 and O6 in an effort to control systematic inflammation. The total mgs are almost irrelevant. "Multiplication" marketing is also irrelevant in this case due to a grain fed serving coming with a much worse starting O3/O6 balance.

Like everything else it's a choice. Similar to buying farm raised salmon over wild caught. There is certainly a difference between the two choices.
But it's not irrelevant when you consider that it's quite easy to balance out in other, cheaper ways.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying there's a cheaper and easier way to do it, for those of us that are so inclined.
Posts: 17,437
Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.Silock is too fat/Omaha.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #1949
NewChief NewChief is offline
Greenbacker and Loving Liberal
 
NewChief's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Casino cash: $7277
I will say that both paleo and veganism's moves away from dairy are great things, though. I'm a firm believer that a huge portion of our population suffering from IBS, Crohn's, and other random digestive ailments could be in large part "cured" by refraining from dairy.

Hell, I still eat a milkshake or some ice cream on occasion, but I do so with full knowledge that I'm going to pay for it in the coming hours (actually, anyone who has to share space with me is going to pay).

My dad had chronic stomach issues as long as I can remember. He also had a bowl of ice cream for breakfast every morning and a bowl before bed every night. After he retired, he went on a fitness kick and stopped eating ice cream. Amazingly, his stomach issues completely disappeared. I'm kind of astounded that no doctor ever suggested to him that he might experiment with refraining from dairy.
__________________
In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican.
- H. L. Mencken
Posts: 19,260
NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.NewChief has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #1950
Count Zarth Count Zarth is offline
just say no
 
Count Zarth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Casino cash: $24102
how do people eat ice cream for breakfast?
Posts: 169,451
Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Count Zarth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.