Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge > Media Center

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 PM  
Dayze Dayze is offline
Resident Glue Sniffer
 
Dayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $15363
Megadeth > Metallica

To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.

Last edited by Dayze; 01-27-2014 at 12:07 AM..
Posts: 26,952
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #226
WhiteWhale WhiteWhale is offline
Veteran
 
WhiteWhale's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Doo-Dah
Casino cash: $9991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
You can't comprehend or understand the words that I've used in my posts, nor can you even comprehend the words you've used in your own posts. I was always stating my opinion about Pantera, not an objective claim (though their theft is pretty objectively true). Also, that wasn't the only point you were making; I know because I know how to read. I am surprised by your sudden turn towards idiocy.
It always takes great men like you to inform people what their opinion is so that you can argue against something you yourself created. It sure is easy that way isn't it? Please fabricate away. Tell me ALL of the points I was making...

You're getting defensive because you know you waltz around acting like the authority on music, TV, Movies... pretty much everything that requires nothing more than sitting on your ass and criticizing other people's accomplishments. Somehow this has manifested arrogance. You don't state things as opinions, you state them as objective facts. If you don't understand that, then your reading/writing isn't nearly as strong as you believe.

The only thing I contested is that "Reaper dislikes = garbage". and everything said was intended to illustrate that.

Everything else is just you fabricating things to attack me over. You're being childish, but feel free to keep calling names if it makes ya feel like a winner.

Last edited by WhiteWhale; 03-14-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Posts: 4,676
WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.WhiteWhale wants to die in a aids tree fire.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #227
Reaper16 Reaper16 is offline
Eat/Sleep/Procrastinate/Repeat
 
Reaper16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dystopia
Casino cash: $8296
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
It always takes great men like you to inform people what their opinion is so that you can argue against something you yourself created. It sure is easy that way isn't it? Please fabricate away. Tell me ALL of the points I was making...

You're getting defensive because you know you waltz around acting like the authority on music, TV, Movies... pretty much everything that requires nothing more than sitting on your ass and criticizing other people's accomplishments. Somehow this has manifested arrogance. You don't state things as opinions, you state them as objective facts. If you don't understand that, then your reading/writing isn't nearly as strong as you believe.

The only thing I contested is that "Reaper dislikes = garbage". and everything said was intended to illustrate that.

Everything else is just you fabricating things to attack me over. You're being childish, but feel free to keep calling names if it makes ya feel like a winner.
I don't know why I'm giving you the effort, seeing as you are being obtuse, but here goes.

1.) Yes, I called Pantera garbage. This is no more or less an example of a poster stating his opinion about a band than Pestilence saying Manowar is cheesy yet talented or Dayze saying Freidman's guitar work makes Hammett's look like child's play. Moreover, in post #139, I did as I was asked and clarified my statement that Pantera was garbage. Look at the language of that post: I was talking about what I like and how things sound to me. If that doesn't make it obvious that there's inherent subjectivity there then I don't know how to change the rules of English to suit your need to have your opinion treated the same as anyone else's.


2.) You claim that "the ONLY point [you ] were trying to make" is I am not the authority on music. I claim that you were making other points beyond that, and you have asked me to tell you, so here goes: a.) you made the point that caring about the amount of riffs per song is unimportant (ironically as if your sensibilities were authoritative?), b.) you made the point that a reliance upon rigid genre/subgenre classification is limiting (I couldn't tell if that was directed toward me or just said in general), c.) you made the point that Pantera shouldn't be compared to bands that play faster/have more riffs (implying that the reasons I gave for finding Pantera boring were invalid at worst or shortsighted at best), d.) your point that cross-genre comparison doesn't really make sense is doubly-troubling, because i.) you just said that defining a band by genre can be a limiting exercise and ii.) you opened the floor to this kind of comparison by alleging that I couldn't appreciate rock music because of my stated preference for "riff quotient" in non-atmospheric metal (which is one Hell of an assumption).
TL;DR? I count at least three major points in addition to your stated main point that I am not the authority on music.

By the way, I immediately agreed with you that me calling them garbage was a completely subjective claim based on my own tastes. Post #165. I immediately agreed with you. We are not in argument here about that.

The only thing we seem to be in argument in is what, exactly, you are saying, and why you can't understand the conversation we're having. My conclusion is that your disdain for me is such that you haven't been reading my posts closely enough. Which, I mean, that happens. I admit: in reviewing these posts, I realized that I misread one of yours. I implied that you said noodling=riffing, but I did so based on reading your use of "nor matching" in a previous post as "to match." My bad on that misreading.

Zero fabrications. Unless you count that misreading as a fabrication. Then, one.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delano View Post
Reaper16's taste in beer, music, and literature are unmatched on this message board.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 32,713
Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Reaper16 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #228
GloucesterChief GloucesterChief is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $9829
Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Yeah, I never really got into them. They never really broke through here in the states.

If we had the access to music in the mid-80's that we did now, I totally would have become a fan because I was into D&D and heavy metal.

They spawned a ****ing MOVEMENT in the rest of the world though. There's power metal bands everywhere, it's one of the most popular types of music in continental Europe.
I think Helloween and Scorpions had a much bigger impact at least in Europe. Along of course with NWOBHM like Priest, Saxon, and Maiden.
Posts: 1,891
GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.GloucesterChief would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #229
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
What? What?
 
htismaqe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8834
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief View Post
I think Helloween and Scorpions had a much bigger impact at least in Europe. Along of course with NWOBHM like Priest, Saxon, and Maiden.
You should watch Sam Dunn's "Metal Evolution". Great documentary.

Bands like Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, and Rhapsody of Fire all consider the roots of Power Metal to be in Maiden, Scorpions, Helloween, and Manowar.
Posts: 61,900
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.