Home Mail Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Big Chief Dave's Place

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM  
DaFace DaFace is offline
Not a mod
 
DaFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $26978
Debate about the use of frequent emergency alerts sent to cell phones

In an effort to get it out of the other thread, here's a new one.
Posts: 32,181
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #106
Baconeater Baconeater is offline
The Maintenance Guy
 
Baconeater's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pigsknuckle
Casino cash: $6830000
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Not parroting anything here. Just stating the facts. Fact is in order for carriors to operate they must follow the FCC rules. All communication devises must be able to break off normal activities and broadcast emergency info fact.
Well that's not true because I have a communication device sitting right next to me that has never broken off normal activities to broadcast emergency information.
Posts: 57,089
Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #107
DaFace DaFace is offline
Not a mod
 
DaFace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $26978
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Not parroting anything here. Just stating the facts. Fact is in order for carriors to operate they must follow the FCC rules. All communication devises must be able to break off normal activities and broadcast emergency info fact.
Don't tell that to DirecTV.
Posts: 32,181
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #108
Phobia Phobia is offline
Together is Powerful
 
Phobia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: KCMO
Casino cash: $6969
I got 2 of them, roughly an hour apart in the evening last night - 7:10ish and 8:15ish. They didn't bother me at all. I can understand somebody opting out after 5 or 6 though. Especially all night long and especially since that alarm sounds even if you have your phone muted.
Posts: 55,852
Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.Phobia is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #109
Just Passin' By Just Passin' By is offline
MVP
 
Just Passin' By's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Casino cash: $30624
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Not parroting anything here. Just stating the facts. Fact is in order for carriors to operate they must follow the FCC rules. All communication devises must be able to break off normal activities and broadcast emergency info fact.
You're not just stating facts. You started off by stating your opinion, which was "I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts." Since then, you've been spouting a bunch of statist bullshit in an attempt to justify your first position.


And that's a fact.
Posts: 14,831
Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Just Passin' By has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #110
Rain Man Rain Man is offline
Bringing the posts every day.
 
Rain Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mortal plane
Casino cash: $43038
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
Well that's not true because I have a communication device sitting right next to me that has never broken off normal activities to broadcast emergency information.
Actually, that's just a can of beer.
__________________
My past posts echo through the hallowed halls of Chiefsplanet.
Posts: 88,300
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #111
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $19337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
I got 2 of them, roughly an hour apart in the evening last night - 7:10ish and 8:15ish. They didn't bother me at all. I can understand somebody opting out after 5 or 6 though. Especially all night long and especially since that alarm sounds even if you have your phone muted.
Same here. The first one startled me because it was loud and it was an alert sound I don't normally use, but it was really no big deal.
__________________


"[The democrat party] has become a left wing party, that's anti-American, and thatís racist." - David Horowitz
Posts: 81,950
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #112
srvy srvy is offline
Supporter
 
srvy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: KC
Casino cash: $31350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By View Post
You're not just stating facts. You started off by stating your opinion, which was "I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts." Since then, you've been spouting a bunch of statist bullshit in an attempt to justify your first position.


And that's a fact.
I stand corrected as reading the FCC reports cellular wireless providers have the option to opt in the emergency alerts, and at what level is entirely up to them.

As for OTA TV, Digital cable TV, Digital satellite TV and wireless 2 way communication its mandatory by the FCC.

Sorry for the confusion I may have caused. As for the fellow who got bombarded with alerts maybe look for a carrier that doesn't opt in as aggressively.
Posts: 6,626
srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.srvy 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #113
ThaVirus ThaVirus is online now
Nothing is true
 
ThaVirus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Casino cash: $62469
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
The child was abducted near 5 pm alerts were out around 7 PM for all anyone knew that creep could have been on his way to kc or anywhere. Anyone traveling may have seen the alert and seen someone that matched the description and alerted the highway patrol.
Yeah, the only time I've ever received an amber alert to my phone a child was abducted in Miami. I'm in Orlando, which is about 4 hours away, but if I were driving on I-95 or the turnpike I would have been on the lookout for the vehicle.
__________________
"I don't know how to put this...but I'm kind of a big deal"
Posts: 24,691
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #114
tk13 tk13 is offline
...
 
tk13's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Casino cash: $42600
I think generally speaking the people who disable these things aren't going to really be concerned or on the lookout anyway, so the situation kind of sorts itself out.
Posts: 43,765
tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.tk13 has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #115
Iowanian Iowanian is offline
Besides, big day tomorrow
 
Iowanian's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Utopia
Casino cash: $28554
I don't mind the alerts, but it doesn't make much sense to be getting them 300 miles from the event.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC native View Post
I said I'm an expert dickrider.
Posts: 53,238
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #116
Baconeater Baconeater is offline
The Maintenance Guy
 
Baconeater's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pigsknuckle
Casino cash: $6830000
I am curious as to why it took 2 hours to get the Amber Alert issued, seems like it would be pretty ineffective at that point. I've always heard that first hour or two after an abduction are the most critical.
Posts: 57,089
Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #117
patteeu patteeu is offline
The 23rd Pillar
 
patteeu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Casino cash: $19337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I don't mind the alerts, but it doesn't make much sense to be getting them 300 miles from the event.
It could make sense in some cases if the authorities have reason to think the suspect might head toward your area and if he's had time to get there. But in general, I agree that it wouldn't make sense to shotgun these alerts out over such a wide area without a reason like that if Amber Alert overload is a concern.
__________________


"[The democrat party] has become a left wing party, that's anti-American, and thatís racist." - David Horowitz
Posts: 81,950
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #118
Buzz Buzz is offline
Stings Don't It
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In my garage
Casino cash: $16723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
I am curious as to why it took 2 hours to get the Amber Alert issued, seems like it would be pretty ineffective at that point. I've always heard that first hour or two after an abduction are the most critical.
That was being discussed on the radio during the drive home
Posts: 3,825
Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Buzz has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #119
Baconeater Baconeater is offline
The Maintenance Guy
 
Baconeater's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pigsknuckle
Casino cash: $6830000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
That was being discussed on the radio during the drive home
And???
Posts: 57,089
Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baconeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #120
Demonpenz Demonpenz is offline
LIVE YOUR LIFE WITH PASSION
 
Demonpenz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Apartment "G UNIT!"
Casino cash: $22232
sorry for your loss mtg.
Posts: 46,803
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 PM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.