Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 AM  
ct ct is offline
u b illian
 
ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: DooDah
Casino cash: $6036
Restating the obvious, Dorsey learned from Ted Thompson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/packers-prefer-compensatory-picks-over-unrestricted-free-agents/


Packers General Manager Ted Thompson has a formula for building his team, and heís sticking with it.

Thompson believes in building through the draft, not free agency, and that includes acquiring more draft picks by declining to sign unrestricted free agents. In the NFL, teams that lose more in free agency than they acquire get compensatory picks, and the Packersí moves in free agency this year indicate that theyíre already thinking about acquiring compensatory picks for next year. The NFL doesnít public the precise formula used to determine compensatory picks, but the simple version is that if the unrestricted free agents you lose are better, higher-paid players than the unrestricted free agents you sign, then the NFL will compensate you the following year with compensatory picks.

As the Green Bay Press-Gazette points out, even the one big name the Packers have signed this offseason, Julius Peppers, was a free agent because he was released by the Bears, not because his previous contract expired. That means he wonít count as an unrestricted free agent addition for the Packers for the purpose of determining their compensatory picks next year.

Last year the Packers lost two key players, receiver Greg Jennings and linebacker Erik Walden, as unrestricted free agents. And the Packers didnít sign any unrestricted free agents last year. As a result, this year theyíre getting an extra third-round pick and an extra fifth-round pick as compensatory selections.

This year the Packers have again not signed away any players whose previous contract expired, but they have lost four players, center Evan Dietrich-Smith, receiver James Jones, defensive lineman C.J. Wilson and offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse. That means the Packers will almost certainly do well when the compensatory picks are passed out a year from now.

Building through the draft and declining to overspend in free agency would be a smart strategy even if the NFL didnít have a compensatory pick system to reward frugal teams. But when compensatory picks are added to the equation, itís easy to see why Thompson declines to go after free agents. The Packers have been successful this way. Itís surprising more teams havenít copied them.


May not be popular here but Dorsey is doing exactly the same thing Thompson and Ozzie Newsome are doing, stockpile draft picks and let UFAs get overpaid elsewhere.
Posts: 6,365
ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ct must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Messier Messier is offline
MVP
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Casino cash: $5075
People here seem to have a problem with Dorsey, they say because last offseason doesn't look like this offseason. "Where's the continuity?!?" personally, I think they're just mad because we're not active this year, not that there's no continuity.

But, I think it's very possible that last year, Reid had might have stepped in and said there are some things we NEED to get done. Get Alex Smith, and resign Bowe.
Posts: 6,496
Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.Messier would the whole thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
InChiefsHell InChiefsHell is offline
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!
 
InChiefsHell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Casino cash: $11296
Well, many would like to see the Chiefs build through the draft, and I guess I'm one who agrees with that. It might not be pretty at first, but I'm willing to let this front office do their thing.
__________________

We have a million reasons for failure, but not one excuse...
Die Donks, DIE!!

A quote:
"Oh well, there's always next year. We'll be better then, you'll see..." - Every Chiefs fan for the last 42...crap...43 years...

Quit listening to all that crappy new music and check out HEADSTRONG!
Posts: 13,321
InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.InChiefsHell threw an interception on a screen pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
What? What?
 
htismaqe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messier View Post
People here seem to have a problem with Dorsey, they say because last offseason doesn't look like this offseason. "Where's the continuity?!?" personally, I think they're just mad because we're not active this year, not that there's no continuity.

But, I think it's very possible that last year, Reid had might have stepped in and said there are some things we NEED to get done. Get Alex Smith, and resign Bowe.
You think wrong.

I'm mad because he says he's building through the draft while trading away draft picks.

If you don't see those two things as contradictory, you're just being stubborn because they absolutely are.
Posts: 61,900
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
TEX TEX is offline
I SURVIVED Herm, Scott & Matt!
 
TEX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Casino cash: $11322
A "Whatever" story...When did Thompson trade TWO #2's for a player if building through the draft was the plan? If you do that, you go all in to win, especially with your core players being in their prime. Should have done more this off season to build on last year otherwise it was a waste, and so are the traded draft picks. Going to have to get a lot in the draft just to be where they were last year. My bet is they will take a step backwards and they didnt have to.
__________________
Welcome to the National FIXED League...
My new FAVORITE Numbers are 43 & 8...
Posts: 15,161
TEX has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Chief Gump Chief Gump is offline
Run dumb ass run
 
Chief Gump's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Casino cash: $5000
If the team wins no one will bash him. If the team goes into a nose dive fans will be pissed. It is a very simple formula.
Posts: 437
Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.Chief Gump is not part of the Right 53.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
the Talking Can the Talking Can is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 
the Talking Can's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: street
Casino cash: $10002
because this plan works without Aaron Rodgers...jesus


it's the new 'patriot's way'...which was always 'thank ****ing christ we lucked into Tom Brady'
__________________
Clark Hunt: "Thank god for the Dominican pool boy"
Posts: 49,195
the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.the Talking Can is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
TEX TEX is offline
I SURVIVED Herm, Scott & Matt!
 
TEX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Casino cash: $11322
Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
You think wrong.

I'm mad because he says he's building through the draft while trading away draft picks.

If you don't see those two things as contradictory, you're just being stubborn because they absolutely are.
They are very easy to see. The only reason why some dont is because they don't want to...
__________________
Welcome to the National FIXED League...
My new FAVORITE Numbers are 43 & 8...
Posts: 15,161
TEX has disabled reputation
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $16262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Gump View Post
If the team wins no one will bash him. If the team goes into a nose dive fans will be pissed. It is a very simple formula.
Exactly. The average fan doesn't obsess over the draft and picks like most around here.

If the team continues to win, nobody will care. Winning is all that matters to most.
__________________
Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning:

Matt once made a very nice play in Seattle where he spun away from a pass rusher and hit Bowe off his back foot for a first down.

One of the best plays Matt has ever made.
Posts: 50,974
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
BigMeatballDave BigMeatballDave is offline
That's a cancerous meatball!
 
BigMeatballDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $20582
It was one trade. You're acting like he's made several trades.

They needed a QB. What would you have them do? I'm all for taking a QB in the first, but right now, last yrs QB class looks like ass.
Posts: 53,105
BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigMeatballDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
What? What?
 
htismaqe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8834
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCD View Post
It was one trade. You're acting like he's made several trades.
It was two critical picks. A good GM will get 2 solid starters out of 2nd round picks. He essentially traded two of them for Alex Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCD View Post
They needed a QB. What would you have them do? I'm all for taking a QB in the first, but right now, last yrs QB class looks like ass.
They didn't HAVE to draft a QB. Again, a GOOD GM would find a way to get a good QB without mortgaging his own draft strategy.

For all of the talk about how "garbage" last year's draft was, this year's draft is one of the BEST in recent memory.

And we're missing a 2nd round pick.
Posts: 61,900
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
Mr_Tomahawk Mr_Tomahawk is offline
Prestige Worldwide
 
Mr_Tomahawk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spring Hill, KS
Casino cash: $10378
EVERYONE PANIC BECAUSE WE DIDNT WIN A SUPER BOWL LAST YEAR!
__________________
Adopt-A-Chief: Tyler Bray
Posts: 14,606
Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mr_Tomahawk has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
Deberg_1990 Deberg_1990 is offline
Gonzo = Sexy Bitch
 
Deberg_1990's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Antonio Tx.
Casino cash: $16262
OMG! were missing a 2nd rounder! it could have been the next Kawika Mitchell or Junior Siavii! everyone panic!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posts: 50,974
Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Deberg_1990 has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
What? What?
 
htismaqe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk View Post
EVERYONE PANIC BECAUSE WE DIDNT WIN A SUPER BOWL LAST YEAR!
Said nobody ever.
Posts: 61,900
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
htismaqe htismaqe is offline
What? What?
 
htismaqe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Chiefsplanet
Casino cash: $8834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
OMG! were missing a 2nd rounder! it could have been the next Kawika Mitchell or Junior Siavii! everyone panic!
Posted via Mobile Device
If that's your straw man, might as well fire Dorsey now because his first round picks will be the next Ryan Sims or Sylvester Morris.
Posts: 61,900
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:00 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
A new website that shows member-created construction site listings that need fill or have excess fill. Dirt Monkey @ https://DirtMonkey.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.