Home Mail MemberMap Chat (0) Wallpapers
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Ed & Dave Lounge > D.C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 01:24 PM  
Taco John Taco John is offline
12on Paul
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Casino cash: $5885
FEDS TAKE RECORD $1.9 TRILLION IN REVENUE

Yes, this is a Drudge Headline. Yes, you can eat it if you don't like that. This should end the discussion about needing to raise revenues. Despite taking in a record $1.9 trillion, they're running a deficit of $436 billion.

The problem isn't that the rich aren't kicking in their "fair share." The problem is the pigs in DC will promise anything and everything in order to get elected.

This is why the tea party was willing to shut down the government. This is why they were willing to do the sequester. This is why the tea party is willing to replace conservative leaders. And it will keep on this way until those numbers get fixed.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...l-running-436b
Posts: 50,865
Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Taco John is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675° N 106.475° W
Casino cash: $1070
VARSITY
Sounds like it's time to increase spending.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 76,733
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Dayze Dayze is offline
Resident Glue Sniffer
 
Dayze's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $7857
WE NEED MORE MONEY!!!!

I'd be happy to kick up my inocome tax to 50% if it means I'm safer and we can invade a few more countries.
Patriot
__________________
Life is 99% inspiration, 1% Perspiration, and 1% Attention to Detial.
Posts: 25,849
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $7778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Yes, this is a Drudge Headline. Yes, you can eat it if you don't like that. This should end the discussion about needing to raise revenues. Despite taking in a record $1.9 trillion, they're running a deficit of $436 billion.

The problem isn't that the rich aren't kicking in their "fair share." The problem is the pigs in DC will promise anything and everything in order to get elected.

This is why the tea party was willing to shut down the government. This is why they were willing to do the sequester. This is why the tea party is willing to replace conservative leaders. And it will keep on this way until those numbers get fixed.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...l-running-436b
It's also why The Establishment ( media and progs on both left and right) think the sky is falling down when someone like Cantor loses.
__________________
Posts: 57,342
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
alnorth alnorth is online now
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $8502
Whether you or I like it or not, the reality is that we do have a revenue problem and not a spending problem.

The reason I say that is because the medical services and retirement income that the voters demand, and by "demand" I mean "we'll vote you right out of office if you don't give it to us or try to cut it" kind of demand, is more than the tax revenue we bring in, and the tax revenue would increase, not decrease, if taxes were raised a little bit.

A lot of conservatives and tea party guys have this fantasy that if some sober well-spoken adult would just have an intelligent conversation with the American people, then they could convince the voters that we can't afford it and must cut spending, but that fantasy is wrong. Anyone who tries to take on that role in a national presidential election is going to lose very badly.

So, if the voters absolutely insist on a level of spending that requires more taxes, and if they are willing to back up that demand by voting out any presidential candidate who runs on cutting spending, then we've only got one other way to balance the budget.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?
Posts: 26,612
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $7778
Every tax increase is followed by spending increases--it's never the other way around. But yet, conservatives don't compromise.
__________________
Posts: 57,342
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Donger Donger is offline
"Think BOOM!"
 
Donger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 33.675° N 106.475° W
Casino cash: $1070
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
Whether you or I like it or not, the reality is that we do have a revenue problem and not a spending problem.

The reason I say that is because the medical services and retirement income that the voters demand, and by "demand" I mean "we'll vote you right out of office if you don't give it to us or try to cut it" kind of demand, is more than the tax revenue we bring in, and the tax revenue would increase, not decrease, if taxes were raised a little bit.

A lot of conservatives and tea party guys have this fantasy that if some sober well-spoken adult would just have an intelligent conversation with the American people, then they could convince the voters that we can't afford it and must cut spending, but that fantasy is wrong. Anyone who tries to take on that role in a national presidential election is going to lose very badly.

So, if the voters absolutely insist on a level of spending that requires more taxes, and if they are willing to back up that demand by voting out any presidential candidate who runs on cutting spending, then we've only got one other way to balance the budget.
We only have a "revenue problem" because of the spending problem.
__________________
I think the young people enjoy it when I "get down," verbally, don't you?
Posts: 76,733
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
BucEyedPea BucEyedPea is offline
BucPatriot
 
BucEyedPea's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: None of your business
Casino cash: $7778
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
Whether you or I like it or not, the reality is that we do have a revenue problem and not a spending problem.

The reason I say that is because the medical services and retirement income that the voters demand, and by "demand" I mean "we'll vote you right out of office if you don't give it to us or try to cut it" kind of demand, is more than the tax revenue we bring in, and the tax revenue would increase, not decrease, if taxes were raised a little bit.

A lot of conservatives and tea party guys have this fantasy that if some sober well-spoken adult would just have an intelligent conversation with the American people, then they could convince the voters that we can't afford it and must cut spending, but that fantasy is wrong. Anyone who tries to take on that role in a national presidential election is going to lose very badly.

So, if the voters absolutely insist on a level of spending that requires more taxes, and if they are willing to back up that demand by voting out any presidential candidate who runs on cutting spending, then we've only got one other way to balance the budget.

Which is why the Constitution, as originally written, never meant the tax and spend clause to be a general grant of power for the general welfare--but was supposed to be restrained by the specific delegated powers the Constitution gave to the federal govt. This is why promoting the word "democracy" is used--to mislead the people into thinking whatever they want as an entitlement can just be voted in.

Like Madison said, this is why democracies have short lives and end. We're still a young country....maybe this democracy gig will end soon.
__________________
Posts: 57,342
BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.BucEyedPea is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
alnorth alnorth is online now
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $8502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
We only have a "revenue problem" because of the spending problem.
I'm not saying the voters are wise or right, I'm just saying we need to deal with reality on reality's terms, and not the fantasyland that we may wish America was.

The reality is that the people absolutely, unmovingly, insist on a level of spending that is roughly where we're at. There may be a little waste, but not much. It is so politically dangerous to run on cutting spending (except in the abstract where you don't have to say what you'll cut), that the GOP was actually trying to win elections by convincing the voters that the Dems were cutting medicare. Forget about actually running on cutting entitlement programs, the "conservative" party was arguing that they should be elected to make sure the Dems don't cut entitlement programs, which is just weird if you really think cutting spending is a viable political option.

So, since we live in a democracy and not a dictatorship, and since the electorate gets to decide how much we spend, we only have one real option. You can't just fold your arms and tell the voters no, they'll vote your ass out of office and find someone who will say yes.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?
Posts: 26,612
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Dayze Dayze is offline
Resident Glue Sniffer
 
Dayze's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $7857
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea View Post
Every tax increase is followed by spending increases--it's never the other way around. But yet, conservatives don't compromise.
1000% agree.
it's not a matter of increasing revenue, it's a matter of reducing expenses; namely DoD.
__________________
Life is 99% inspiration, 1% Perspiration, and 1% Attention to Detial.
Posts: 25,849
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
fan4ever fan4ever is offline
Veteran
 
fan4ever's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Casino cash: $5595
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
I'm not saying the voters are wise or right, I'm just saying we need to deal with reality on reality's terms, and not the fantasyland that we may wish America was.

The reality is that the people absolutely, unmovingly, insist on a level of spending that is roughly where we're at. There may be a little waste, but not much. It is so politically dangerous to run on cutting spending (except in the abstract where you don't have to say what you'll cut), that the GOP was actually trying to win elections by convincing the voters that the Dems were cutting medicare. Forget about actually running on cutting entitlement programs, the "conservative" party was arguing that they should be elected to make sure the Dems don't cut entitlement programs, which is just weird if you really think cutting spending is a viable political option.

So, since we live in a democracy and not a dictatorship, and since the electorate gets to decide how much we spend, we only have one real option. You can't just fold your arms and tell the voters no, they'll vote your ass out of office and find someone who will say yes.
So...if you were to run today with a slogan like "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" you'd get your ass handed to you? I agree.
__________________
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” - Mark Twain
Posts: 4,177
fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Dayze Dayze is offline
Resident Glue Sniffer
 
Dayze's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park
Casino cash: $7857
I blame the iPhone. those things are expensive.
__________________
Life is 99% inspiration, 1% Perspiration, and 1% Attention to Detial.
Posts: 25,849
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #13
alnorth alnorth is online now
MVP
 
alnorth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Iowania
Casino cash: $8502
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan4ever View Post
So...if you were to run today with a slogan like "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" you'd get your ass handed to you? I agree.
Nah, the voters love catchy clever-sounding slogans, and they also like the feeling they get if they think they are contributing something to society.

But if you dare suggest that you need to make a significant cut to medicaid, medicare, or social security, then they will murder you and find a politician who won't do that.
__________________
<WarMoose> Think about how stupid the average person is. Now realize that half of them are dumber than that.
<Chunda> Why half?
Posts: 26,612
alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.alnorth 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:01 PM
WhiteWhale
This message has been deleted by WhiteWhale.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
fan4ever fan4ever is offline
Veteran
 
fan4ever's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Casino cash: $5595
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnorth View Post
Nah, the voters love catchy clever-sounding slogans, and they also like the feeling they get if they think they are contributing something to society.

But if you dare suggest that you need to make a significant cut to medicaid, medicare, or social security, then they will murder you and find a politician who won't do that.
I think a generation ago there was a real and true concern about the state of the nation; people would try and do their part for the sake of the country...now I think it's a "me first" mentality...at least to a large enough degree to where this country may never make it back to the prosperity and status we once had.
__________________
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” - Mark Twain
Posts: 4,177
fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.fan4ever Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
FishingRod FishingRod is offline
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Casino cash: $5687
$17,536,614,238,239.15

Federal Debt - ish At some point we need to spend less than we take in. Soon would be good if you have kids and grandkids
Posts: 3,218
FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.FishingRod Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.