PDA

View Full Version : Sports and politics

jAZ
09-29-2004, 10:46 AM
Just out of curiousity... (poll)

Choose one:

I lean "liberal" and I prefer the capped-type salary structure be used in sports like the NBA and NFL

I lean "conservative" and I prefer the capped-type salary structure be used in sports like the NBA and NFL

I lean "liberal" and I prefer the UNcapped-type salary structure be used in sports like Major League Baseball

I lean "conservative" and I prefer the UNcapped-type salary structure be used in sports like Major League Baseball

jspchief
09-29-2004, 11:01 AM
What's the point?

And could you please add more stuff to your sig so that I can scroll through seven f*cking pages before I get to the next post?

BIG_DADDY
09-29-2004, 11:03 AM
I like to fvck.

Calcountry
09-29-2004, 11:11 AM
What's the point?

And could you please add more stuff to your sig so that I can scroll through seven f*cking pages before I get to the next post?
ROFL

BIG_DADDY
09-29-2004, 11:15 AM
What's the point?

Reminds me of all the knucklhead liberals with 20 bumperstickers driving around here like shit pissing people off. What's the fvcking point?

Hammock Parties
09-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Jaz's sig is pretty huge. It takes up an entire 19" monitor at 1280x960.

Michael Michigan
09-29-2004, 11:20 AM

No sh!t. Pick something and stick with it. It's friggin' overkill.

siberian khatru
09-29-2004, 12:15 PM
I like to fvck.

* Are you a liberal who likes to fvck with a condom made in Japan?
* Are you a conservative who likes fvck with a condom made in America?
* Are you a liberal who don't wear no jimmy?
* Are you a conservative who don't know what a jimmy is?
* Are you just an American who wishes jAZ would fvck off? :p

Bwana
09-29-2004, 12:15 PM
What's the point?

rep :thumb:

jAZ
09-29-2004, 12:38 PM
My appologies on the SIG. I am in work mode and don't notice it.

I've trimmed it down.

jAZ
09-29-2004, 12:50 PM
The reason for the poll is that it occured to me that the salary cap is very counter to the unregulated free market capitalism model that conservative types tend to endorse.

I was curious if among KC fans, whether preferences fell along political lines.

My theory is that NY Yankees fans would have substantially more votes for the latter 2 options.

jspchief
09-29-2004, 01:17 PM
The reason for the poll is that it occured to me that the salary cap is very counter to the unregulated free market capitalism model that conservative types tend to endorse.

My theory is that NY Yankees fans would have substantially more votes for the latter 2 options.

You're painting capitalism with a pretty broad stroke there.

I don't know too many conservatives that endorse employees being able to blackmail them into pay raises that would put them out of business.

jAZ
09-29-2004, 01:25 PM
You're painting capitalism with a pretty broad stroke there.

I don't know too many conservatives that endorse employees being able to blackmail them into pay raises that would put them out of business.
I was pretty narrow in my painting with the "unregulated free market capitalism". There are a lot of people that believe in that, and argue from that perspective on a regular basis.

On the other hand, you seem to be painting pro-athletes with a pretty broad brush yourself with the unqualified "(athlete employees who) blackmail (their employer) into pay raises that would put them out of business" statement.

KCTitus
09-29-2004, 01:30 PM
I think the system has to work that way primarily to eliminate the financial barriers that preclude a team from fielding a competitive product.

The NFL is hardly and open society to begin with...it's not like George Soros could build a football team and get it to play against the other NFL teams, so first, the NFL as an organization has 32 franchises and it's in the NFL's best interest if those franchises dont eat each other alive killing their viable product.

jspchief
09-29-2004, 01:34 PM
What would you call it when an athletes demand salaries so high that the owner can't make a respectable profit, then hold out when they don't get that money?

Look at the NHL if you need an example.

Rausch
09-29-2004, 01:34 PM

That's micro-hypocracy...

Just like I think Parents should be fascist dictators, but I don't want my government that way.

Communism is great for SPORT, not for government... :thumb:

Skip Towne
09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Hey Frazod, get over here. They're putting that shitty political stuff here again.

KCTitus
09-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Hey Frazod, get over here. They're putting that shitty political stuff here again.

Sorry guys...seems Jaz is having withdrawals after he cut bait and ran from the DC forum a couple of weeks ago.

siberian khatru
09-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Just like I think Parents should be fascist dictators, but I don't want my government that way.

Nice.

BIG_DADDY
09-29-2004, 01:46 PM
This is all irrelevant because in a free market your able to pick your market which is not the case in major league sports. In sports you are stuck with your market and cannot move where you want making some teams have huge advantages over others when it comes to fielding a championship team. Never has there been a better example than with the Yankmee's. You know all this though jaz, my guess is your just trying to stir up some shit for some unknown reason.

jAZ
09-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Sorry guys...seems Jaz is having withdrawals after he cut bait and ran from the DC forum a couple of weeks ago.
Actually, it's quite the opposite.

I'm hesitant to even bring up the topic... I'm quite enjoying the football season sans the DC Forum.

jAZ
09-29-2004, 01:52 PM
If this thread is only of interest to those who participate in the DC, then I can accept it being moved. But I posted it mainly for the poll and not to get into a debate on the subject.

jAZ
09-29-2004, 01:55 PM
In sports you are stuck with your market and cannot move where you want making some teams have huge advantages over others when it comes to fielding a championship team. Never has there been a better example than with the Yankmee's. You know all this though jaz, my guess is your just trying to stir up some shit for some unknown reason.
Really?

Teams/owners are commited to cities as far as the contract they choose sign commits them. They are free to move and free choose other better business deals rather than enter into the contracts.

They are also free to use negotiation and the courts to get out of those agreements. Much like the players.

So, no... I don't "already know all this" as you declare.

KCTitus
09-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Actually, it's quite the opposite.

I'm hesitant to even bring up the topic... I'm quite enjoying the football season sans the DC Forum.

LOL...yeah, ok.

BIG_DADDY
09-29-2004, 01:59 PM
LOL...yeah, ok.

He has some Ocean Front property in Kansas for ya too.

jAZ
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
LOL...yeah, ok.
It would help if we were 3-0, but yeah.

BIG_DADDY
09-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Really?

Teams/owners are commited to cities as far as the contract they choose sign commits them. They are free to move and free choose other better business deals rather than enter into the contracts.

They are also free to use negotiation and the courts to get out of those agreements. Much like the players.

So, no... I don't "already know all this" as you declare.

The Oakland A's can't just build a stadium and move to NY, that would be a truly free market and the only in a system like that should there not be a salary cap. You just want to argue about something don't you?

jAZ
09-29-2004, 02:26 PM
The Oakland A's can't just build a stadium and move to NY, that would be a truly free market and the only in a system like that should there not be a salary cap. You just want to argue about something don't you?
Not at all... I thought it was interesting. I quit posting in the DC in part because I was bascially sick arguing in general.